Author Topic: Prologue: "And what he greatly thought, he nobly dared"  (Read 19443 times)

Offline Dr_emperor

• Honorary Mod
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: Prologue: "And what he greatly thought, he nobly dared"
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2016, 06:22:36 PM »
The ship moves forward by the mighty Pegasus.  More people realizing that the ship won't be stopped jump over the edge. Only a very few stay on board the ship. 

Helena's mighty bow strikes down two of the archers on the docks.  The guard captain calls for a retreat, he seems more concerned at the damage to the dock then with the loss of his archers.

The ships captain responds to Agamemnon, "I didn't expect that we would be attacked by a mob and figured we could be away from the soldiers, and we are away now."  He looks at the people left from the mob almost confused, but then with a weird smile.

(click to show/hide)

The first mate stands up "My lady what is your name, you must be of divine blood?" he looks to his companions, "that one is the carpenter for the ship, would you be able to save him as well, the other is the cook?"  The mob and crew seem more focused on Equina than all else.

Aesop sees the bows near Equina the first mate and his companions had dropped them when dying.  He also recalls that the captain would likely have armaments on board in case of pirates, and it wouldn't be too hard to ask.

Combat resolves as, anyone looking for the lady who caused the mob does not see her anymore in the crowd on the docks in the water or on the boat.  Its as if she teleported away.  Nothing would stop the crew and people from wreaking vengeance on the exposed soldiers on the dock. (not sure if that would be anyone's intentions)

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2016, 11:48:34 PM »
Bion frowns as the chaos of the dock fades into the distance. He casts a glance over to Egua, who seems now to be drawing a small crowd. His frown persists.

Divine blood? Pah! It could be but mere magic, albeit powerful stuff all the same. Even were she one of the Gods themselves, it did not warrant such attention. The divine drew so much attention as it was, and so many devoted their time and energy to the Gods rather than caring for and assisting their fellow mortals. And the extravagance! Bion guffaws at the thought of religious opulence. A nudging beneath his cloak gives way to a small crystal carried aloft by thin, spidery legs. The purple-aqua crystal bears specks of multi-hued, metallic flecks within it, and a soft glow emanates from within, pulsing in a rhythm which is almost reminiscent of speech.

"What do you expect, Bion, of course she's popular... She brought that sailor back to life!  You're just jealous because no one cares about your dumb magic wall."

"Oh hush, Archimedes. If I wish for your input, I'll ask for it! I'm more concerned with the woman in that crowd. She seemed to hold some unnatural sway over the mob..."

The robed man, Bion, gazed out to sea. His mind seemed troubled, his brow furrowed in thought.

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
  • Neither genius nor savant, mostly just confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2016, 12:15:10 AM »
Ignoring the scene behind him, Andras looks to Bion and offers a greeting,
"Andras, craft of Daedalus, thank you for blocking the archers." He shifts his polearm in his hand and continues, "I'm capable in close quarters, but I never had much practice on anything farther than I can throw."
Smile beautiful. It's not as bad as you think.
I usually post from my phone. Please excuse any typos. I swear, they're the phone's fault.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2016, 01:05:11 AM »
Bion's face flashes to a neutral expression at Andras's greeting.

"Hmm? Ah, yes! Yes, where are my manners? I am Bion. You might say I'm a professional student... and to some, an occasional ne'er-do-well!" He grins, clearly somewhat proud

"So, Andras, you're a craftsman? If I heard correctly, you mentioned capability with magical creations during the tumult, did you not?"

The legged-crystal crawls onto Bion's shoulder, pointing its 'head' toward Andras as though in observation. "What, you're not going to introduce me? It should figure, you've got the courteous nature of Narcissus!"

Bion shifts his posture, crossing his arms. "Yes, yes, I was getting to you. This delightful little pebble is Archimedes. When he isn't busy talking far more than a psionically-animated chunk of crystal ought to, he accompanies me on my journeys and proves to be an adequate companion and debater."

"Hmph! Adequate. Indeed!"

Offline Rekmond

• DM in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2016, 02:19:06 AM »
Helena's bow falls into formless light as it vanishes while they draw away from the docks.  If there was no further need for combat then there wasn't any point to keep it formed, although she kept her light invested within her clothes, the uses of flight were many.

"That woman...." she muttered as her sharp eyes scanned the crowd, not finding her target, only the confused faces of citizens.  Using others like that was not something Helena was likely to ever condone, if she saw her again Helena was sure to count her as an enemy.

Shaking herself out of the focused state she looked over the ship seeing the arrows sticking out in places as well as the people left aboard from the induced mob. Hopefully that wouldn't be a problem as turning back was bad, but forcing these people to come with them wouldn't be right.

Right now she supposed offering her services to heal those in need of it would be a good idea. Although if this ship got into any more trouble she'd almost consider risking the skies and seas and flying to their destination. A boat being assaulted before it had even left harbor had to be some kind of omen.

"If any of you are in need of healing I am more than capable of healing most wounds," she offered to her fellow fighters before repeating it to the crew at the oars.

(click to show/hide)
I want to be born. To live. That is all I want. -Aura

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2016, 05:40:50 AM »
Egua smiles warmly at the attention she's getting, focusing on keeping her composure.

You may call me Egua, and I am a daughter of Poseidon. I can fully share my story tonight for any who are interested. For now let me just say that even my divine gifts have limits, but restoring two more lost lifes for today is whitin my capacity. It would be a bad omen to start our voyage with a funeral from the crew after all, regardless of their jobs. Father, I ask of you to guide those two other souls back to us! 

Egua channels more invigorating energy in the cook and carpenter's corpses, keeping to herself she would also like a good dinner tonight.

"If any of you are in need of healing I am more than capable of healing most wounds," she offered to her fellow fighters before repeating it to the crew at the oars.

After attending the people, could you perhaps heal my dear cavalo alado, noble warrioress? I could let it return to the divine realm and summon it again to cure its wounds, but doing so would stress my divine reserves.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Dr_emperor

• Honorary Mod
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2016, 09:03:27 AM »
The crew are very impressed with a daughter of Poseidon being on the ship.  Some ask her where her legend began and if Poseidon is well the seas have been fickle of late, moreso than usual.  The remnants of the mob don't even remember ever seeing a woman, they actually blame each other for saying what she said.  The people greatly like you.  The first mate,  "My lady do you accept worship as a sailor is a daughter of Poseidon the same to sacrifice to before a voyage as Poseidon?"  Equa knows she has gained a worshiper, probably more on the ship, but some among the crew are too awestruck to try and figure out rituals.  The firstmate is unabashed and would talk your ears off about specifics.

The Pegasus finds very few people detecting as good, mostly the number among those who helped in the fight, and some of the mob.  However, the captain and the cook and a few of the more experienced people working the sails definitely detect as evil.  It stamps it hoove on the deck in surprise at the captain, but no one finds guesses its anything smarter than a horse.

(Gather information checks take hours so I'm going to leave that part alone for alone to give the others a chance to react.  The crew aren't really talking about that quickly.)

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2016, 07:38:42 PM »
Andras doesn't recognize the shift and awkwardness of the greeting. He replies,
 "Yes, master Daedalus created me for the purpose. For years, my arms swung a hammer and gave metal form, crafting weapons and armor, while mixing alchemy and poison as the metal cooled. Creation is one of my greatest joys and a skill I'm fairly proficient at. Master taught me well. As for magic, I can infuse it into items to create temporary effects. Some only last for a single use, while others will last hours. I can also alter the magic in some items to function better or provide an alternative effect."

Andras looks to Archimedes and continues,
"You remind me of a friend. Later, I'll introduce you, but he's working at the moment and hates being interrupted."
I usually post from my phone. Please excuse any typos. I swear, they're the phone's fault.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2016, 11:37:16 PM »
Bion looks Andras up and down, then notes, "Ah! I hadn't noticed your... construction, until just now. Sorry, my mind is often on several subjects at once until it is needed for a concentrated effort. It seems, in a way, we have something in common. I, too, revel in creation. There are many schools of thought in this world and in those beyond, but the one I most agree with notes that the world is what you make of it. The ideal is to live a life in accordance and balance with nature, free of personal wants; desire for money, fame, possessions... I studied for many years with the Cynics, though I believe even their worldview was too narrow."

Archimedes pipes up, interjecting, "What you mean is you couldn't hack it living barefoot in a tub on the street corner like Diogenes!"

The philosopher scowls briefly, but brushes off the comment.

"Still, your magic sounds intriguing. I have heard of arcane craft, though it seems to take quite a lot of personal investment. I much prefer the direct application of willpower in shaping the world around me, although I must give you credit where it most certainly is due. Do you have any examples of your own craftsmanship upon your... well, upon your person?"

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2016, 12:44:12 AM »
"Yes, crafted by the hands ofDaedalus himself. And, well, I sold most of my magical items before I knew what they were worth, and so don't have many left, but I crafted my guirsarme, as well as a few other things. I created most of my alchemical items as well. I can site you those if you'd like.
As far as creating magical items, or infusing permanent magic into an item, I seem to have a bit of an advantage due to my creation, I seem to have a bit of extra energy to infuse into items. I can also pull the magic out of items and reuse it. It doesn't hurt that I'm working on a way to reduce the amount of energy that needs to be invested and already figured out how to reduce the cost of materials needed."

Andras offers up the guirsarme and let's Bion take it from his hands if he is so inclined.

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2016, 10:51:54 PM »
The ships captain responds to Agamemnon, "I didn't expect that we would be attacked by a mob and figured we could be away from the soldiers, and we are away now."  He looks at the people left from the mob almost confused, but then with a weird smile.

(click to show/hide)

A cold light flashes in Agamemnon's eyes.

"Really? Then considering quite a few people embarking your ship were the ones who dealt with this situation, it could be said that you owe your life to them, yes? This being the case, do you have something you'd like to share with us?"

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 10:54:52 PM by Risada »

Offline Dr_emperor

• Honorary Mod
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2016, 07:59:05 PM »
The Captain responds gruffly, "I suppose I do owe the women and the horse" obviously down grading all but Equa and Helena's accomplishments.

(click to show/hide)

I'm going to advance time to completing oselcamo's gather info check tomorrow or Tuesday night unless there is an objection.  Even thought the Pegasus might have figured this out already.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2016, 07:54:58 PM »
Having not found a bow and it no longer even being relevant he just walks along the boat talking to the crew about the events that unfolded. The crew seems pretty diverse but being well read he thinks he'll be able to relate to them.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2016, 09:00:06 PM »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

The Captain responds gruffly, "I suppose I do owe the women and the horse" obviously down grading all but Equa and Helena's accomplishments.

"It is wise of you to not forget that." Agamemnon is aware he himself didn't do much, but this guys being all suspicious like this is bound to be trouble...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 09:02:09 PM by Risada »

Offline Rekmond

• DM in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2016, 02:10:59 AM »
Helena was more than willing to heal Egua's companion. It was not in her nature to deny soothing the wounds of such a wondrous creature.

"I'd be delighted to," she chirped as she addressed the Goddess. While Egua was the only goddess she had truly met until now, that didn't mean that she was ignorant of them. While not as revered as they once were, Gods were still beings of power and that was something people tended to respect or fear.

Herself, Gods were there, and so was she. She'd treat them as she would anyone else.

She lifted up and flew over the people on the boat to the Pegasus that had aided their departure.

"Ah, hm. Egua didn't say if you had a name or not, but I'm here to heal your wounds," she told the winged horse. 

She concentrated briefly before what seemed to be flying droplets of light made their way to the animal, vanishing upon contact as the wounds sealed up.

(click to show/hide)

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2016, 01:04:56 PM »
The crew are very impressed with a daughter of Poseidon being on the ship.  Some ask her where her legend began and if Poseidon is well the seas have been fickle of late, moreso than usual.  The remnants of the mob don't even remember ever seeing a woman, they actually blame each other for saying what she said.  The people greatly like you.  The first mate,  "My lady do you accept worship as a sailor is a daughter of Poseidon the same to sacrifice to before a voyage as Poseidon?"  Equa knows she has gained a worshiper, probably more on the ship, but some among the crew are too awestruck to try and figure out rituals.  The firstmate is unabashed and would talk your ears off about specifics.
Yes, I accept new followers and offerings, but not anything bloody please. Fruits and vegetables instead, shinies and coin aren't bad either. But before I go into any specifics, I would also like to know you better. Who you are, where you came from, where are you going. For me to grow as a goddess, I need to know and understand others in this world better.

"Ah, hm. Egua didn't say if you had a name or not, but I'm here to heal your wounds," she told the winged horse. 

You can call him Cavalo Alado, dear... Oh, I believe you didn't share your name with us yet. It's fine if you want to keep it a secret. But I sense you do not worship any deity yet. If you do not mind, may I ask why?-asks Egua with a warm smile.

Offline Rekmond

• DM in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2016, 08:50:41 PM »
You can call him Cavalo Alado, dear... Oh, I believe you didn't share your name with us yet. It's fine if you want to keep it a secret. But I sense you do not worship any deity yet. If you do not mind, may I ask why?-asks Egua with a warm smile.

"Oh, my apologies for the unintentional rudeness," she answered as she drifted back towards Egua. She settled back down on the deck before giving a friendly smile to the Goddess before her.

"I am Helena Elpis of Ikaros." Here she paused for a second as though expecting someone to contribute before a short look of grief passed over her face. Shaking herself out of it quickly, she decided to continue on with answering the questions. "As for worship, it is simply that there are none truly appropriate. Athena, Dikē, Apollo, or Artemis As She Was would have been agreeable. But now I simply follow a Cause instead," she explained. "None truly serve The Light now. It would not feel right to truly worship one who doesn't."

She takes care not to speak of the visions calling her from afar. Of the beckoning figure of her dreams that her very essence longs to follow.

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2016, 09:14:34 PM »
Andras turns away from the scholar lost in thought. Usually, he wouldn't be social, but he's been working on it since he stepped out into the world. He walked over to the women, one a minor goddess and the other still a mystery. His footfalls are heavy on the wooden deck. He rests his guirsarme in the crook of his elbow as he introduces himself.

"Andras, creation of Daedalus the inventor, thank you for your help."

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2016, 10:50:58 PM »
"Hey ladies, my name is Agamemnon, a sellsword of sorts, and as I was talking with the captain, he said he wants to convey something to you." As Agamemnon says that, he turns to look at the captain.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2016, 04:40:36 PM »
"What does he wish us to know?"