Author Topic: Ancient Greek Monster Hunting Idea Thing  (Read 40232 times)

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
Re: Ancient Greek Monster Hunting Idea Thing
« Reply #100 on: June 02, 2013, 08:48:12 AM »
Sadly Astronomy didn't start until Homer... this is earlier than that by a millennium.

Why isn't anyone playing Gemini as a Dvati?  :smirk
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun โ€” my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 02, 2013, 08:59:18 AM »
RD, don't forget about your two feats from flaws.  I think you're gonna need them.   :P

Upon reflection, I think I'm going to take Temporal Body Adjustment, because if nothing else, I can use it to get rid of the fatigue/exhaustion from my trance/surge. And I'll just take Called Shot next level.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 02, 2013, 09:06:08 AM »
RD, don't forget about your two feats from flaws.  I think you're gonna need them.   :P

Paragon requires that I have no flaws. :p

Besides, I think I've got all the feats I need. I just need to know the material cost for silver full-plate or where to find it, then I can price everything and work out the stats.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 02, 2013, 09:22:24 AM »
Paragon requires that I have no flaws. :p

How DARE Paragon have a requirement like that?!  Who do they think they are???  I mean, nobody is perfect.  :D

Besides, I think I've got all the feats I need.

Nonsense!  You can never have enough feats!

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 02, 2013, 12:35:11 PM »
OK, so how should I deal with the bloodline XP? I need either a major or intermediate celestial bloodline... do I start below 13th level, do I take Item Familiar and quote "xp is a river" to balance it out, or something else?

Offline Concerned Ninja Citizen

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 02, 2013, 12:39:06 PM »
Here's Oslecamo's quote on the cost of silver armor:

As for cost, I would say adapting the already existing costs, aka +20 GP for light armor/shield, +90 GP for medium armor/heavy shield, +180 GP for tower shield/heavy armor.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 02, 2013, 12:49:25 PM »
Right, so now it's just 'fractional BAB/save progression or not'. XD

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 02, 2013, 01:08:42 PM »
Oracle of the Stars is an excellent fit for the Centaur mythos, or one version of it anyway. Spellshaping in general isn't a perfect fit but it's much better than a caster. The main disconnect would be the throwing energy beams around, which is why I'm going with the class that channels spellshaping through melee weapons.

At first, I could only remember one, but I couldn't remember his name.

Chiron.

Now, I know that there are two lines of Centaurs. One is the line of Chiron, the teacher, who is the son of Cronus (which makes Chiron Zeus' half-brother), and the other line. For the other line, I'll be going with being Apollo's grandkids, instead of the Ixion-screwed-a-cloud version.

How about the line of Pholus? I'm definitely more of a civilized Centaur, but presumably not immortal like Chiron.

Either that, or I can make up a demi divine origin for my character. That seems to be the standard with the wise teacher centaurs. I was actually considering Half Celestial for one of the two unaccounted for levels so that would fit with being the son of Silenus or something.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 02, 2013, 04:25:19 PM »
Arias, how do you feel about Energy Bows?

Also, Razorfeather Ammo?
Quote from: The Archery Handbook
Razorfeather Ammunition (รก 150 gp) [MMV Pg. 169]
These aren't actually listed being sold anywhere, but by the Craft-rules in PHB, raw materials cost a third of the final result, and Razorfeathers cost 50 gp a piece. The ammunition is considered to be Masterwork, but the book isn't clear as to whether you have to build the Masterwork component separately or if you just work the Feathers and they're automatically considered Masterwork. May be that the actual cost is 156 gp a piece; that's counting the Masterwork cost for each.

Anyways, these arrows are awesome. Just completely incredible. First of all, they're mundane weapons that are considered Keen. That's a +1 property almost for free. Second, they're considered Masterwork and Adamantine. That means they're just about the best mundane arrows you can have. It takes a DC 30 Craft (weaponsmithing)-check to make 50 of them. You should ask your DM if these are sold in your campaign, and if they aren't, it may be an interesting prospect to go on a Steelwing hunt on Acheron or the Material Plane, and train a bit in the arts of Weaponsmithing (or get help from your friendly neighbourhood Wizard with his immense Int-mod).

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 02, 2013, 05:11:30 PM »
... Pure Crafting costs are infuriating to calculate. Hm. Anyhow, calculated that. Wonder which of the manacles, vials of powder etc. I should carry around?

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 02, 2013, 05:16:25 PM »
Are there intelligent items (swords that talk to you, etc) in greek myth?

Currently thinking Monk 1 and Hylian Warrior 1, refluffed as appropriate for the setting, for my 2 free levels.

... Pure Crafting costs are infuriating to calculate. Hm. Anyhow, calculated that. Wonder which of the manacles, vials of powder etc. I should carry around?

Adamantine powder is potentially a save or die. It paralyzes with a duration of "until you take 2 full round actions to scrape it off" which is difficult to do when you're paralyzed.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 05:21:16 PM by Concerned Ninja Citizen »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 02, 2013, 05:19:58 PM »
... please excuse me whilst I draw that to Os's attention. Because that is a bit silly. @_@

Actually, don't need to, it specifies nauseated, then sickened. So that's just one turn you can't.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 05:22:24 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 02, 2013, 05:25:06 PM »
Are there intelligent items (swords that talk to you, etc) in greek myth?

Currently thinking Monk 1 and Hylian Warrior 1, refluffed as appropriate for the setting, for my 2 free levels.

Adamantine powder is potentially a save or die. It paralyzes with a duration of "until you take 2 full round actions to scrape it off" which is difficult to do when you're paralyzed.
Zen Fundamentalist!

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 02, 2013, 05:32:27 PM »
What's the Zen Fundamentalist in response to?

... please excuse me whilst I draw that to Os's attention. Because that is a bit silly. @_@

Actually, don't need to, it specifies nauseated, then sickened. So that's just one turn you can't.

Ah, I misremembered. Still potentially quite strong and worth keeping around.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 02, 2013, 05:37:00 PM »

Ah, I misremembered. Still potentially quite strong and worth keeping around.

I suppose so.

Hm, I think I want a good selection of a whole bunch of them. Not so much Pure Silver, and I don't really want to be using Pure Gold.

... also, going to get some shackles. Gold, probably. :lmao

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 02, 2013, 05:37:34 PM »
What's the Zen Fundamentalist in response to?

Probably instead of Monk 1 / Hylian Warrior 1

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 02, 2013, 05:49:58 PM »
I considered that but I'm currently going for more of a wisdom SAD build and dman's monk and Hylian Warrior both give me wis to attack (stacking with each other) at lv 1.

EDIT, Been meaning to ask this: At 13 HD the Khan path for Centaur can share "magic buffs" with allies. Are beneficial formulae considered magic buffs? They would seem to qualify as the ability deliberately uses a general term rather than something more specific like "spells," but I wanted to confirm.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 06:00:55 PM by Concerned Ninja Citizen »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 02, 2013, 05:56:55 PM »
Hm, thinking about it, Pure Adamantine Powder would only be one round of nauseated anyway, given that one of my Saint Virtues is Mercy.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 02, 2013, 06:17:02 PM »
I considered that but I'm currently going for more of a wisdom SAD build and dman's monk and Hylian Warrior both give me wis to attack (stacking with each other) at lv 1.

Lol. Sniper 2.

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 02, 2013, 06:25:19 PM »
Yup. I'm copying you, only melee instead of ranged. I wasn't initially intending to go that way but I realized it would actually make a deal more sense than a more MAD build and I'm doing the wise mystic dude who isn't usually also a hulking brute.