Author Topic: $OOC Thread  (Read 154267 times)

Offline GuyFawkes

• Remember, remember, the fifth of November
    • View Profile
Re: $OOC Thread
« Reply #100 on: January 19, 2012, 11:50:01 PM »
That makes sense. Ptolemaeus likes hobbit pie because he is Timeless.  :D

Offline Debatra

• Kaedanis Pyran
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 20, 2012, 12:58:28 AM »
Figures I'd get high rolls on all the least important checks.
Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

Offline ieatfood7

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 20, 2012, 08:36:13 AM »
question, is there any item/feat/etd that gives extra swift/immediate actions?  I realized in my self sparing that both Sheerak and Vir are very very swift action hungry.

Also, a swift action is faster than a move action which is fatser than an attack....does that mean that if you made no move actions or attacks that you could take multipel swift actions?  I don't think any rule allows for that, but it seems plausable, and I am no rules expert, so I thought I'd ask.

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #103 on: January 20, 2012, 09:36:12 AM »
I don't think so. You can make one swift, one immediate, and technically one free action per round, in addition to your normal Full Attack / Full Move / Move and Standard action routine.

And it's because of characters like Sheerak, or my below example, that you're limited to one swift per round. Otherwise, you'd use all of your immediate and swift actions to trigger a hundred instances of each of your swift abilities and win at AD&D. It was for play-balance that they limit you to one of each of those "Faster then a standard action" actions.

Example: Mage with Quicken Spell memorizes 3 quickened Fireballs (7th level each). If folks are allowed to take a feat to take more then 1 swift / free / immediate action, then there's nothing stopping him from dumping all three of those spells on the badguy at once, ON TOP OF whatever super damaging evocation he wants to drop on you.  So in summary, that's 10d6 Fire three times, then his actual spell.

Link to my homebrews

(Offsite server may be unstable. Report broken / unresponsive link with Post Upvote button)

Offline ieatfood7

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 20, 2012, 09:51:10 AM »
Fair enough, though I thought using your Immediate action used the swift action for the following turn, am I wrong?

Vir and Sheerak both have what are effectively stances, but they require a swift action each turn to keep active, leaving them without ever having a swift action unless it is for a big hit worth losing the stance for a turn.

EDIT: a google dearch sent me to the Ruby Vondicator class which gets free swift actions per day, but that requires many levels of crunch dedication and a bunch of fluff dedication too...not right for my characters.

Offline ieatfood7

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 20, 2012, 10:02:53 AM »
I had bee thinking about other uses for Gates. having been prompted by some of the creative posts you all said.  I think a Gate on the floor pointed up from the plane of Water would make a stable pool of water, since the plane of water is not listed as presurized.  What would be the effect of a gate to the positive or negative plane to those who don't step through it?  would the energies spark out randomly, or have a radius of effect, or would nothing happen until you went through the gate?

I took the ability for travel, but you're riht about its creative and offensive properties!

EDIT: yeah, what \/ \/ said.

Offline GuyFawkes

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 20, 2012, 10:03:00 AM »
Isn't it like one swift action OR one immediate action each round? If I remember correctly, if you use an immediate action, you can't use any swift action any more that round. Or for the current round you can use one swift and one immediate action, but it counts as the immediate action for the next round, so the next round you can't do any swift actions.

Edit: Hmm, for free actions, I looked it up and it just says one or more free actions. Ultimately I guess this would be upon the DM's discretion. So, what's your call on this, MM? How many free actions could we do?  I ask because I have lots of things I could do with free actions, specifically the magic marksman's 3rd level mana manipulation techniques.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 11:01:03 AM by GuyFawkes »

Offline ieatfood7

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 20, 2012, 11:10:51 AM »
My understanding:

You get
1 Swift OR immediate action per turn
1 Full round action OR move action and standard attack OR two move actions
infinite free actions.

Offline GuyFawkes

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 20, 2012, 11:28:27 AM »
So, since MM is not responding yet, we could have some sort of agreement on how many free actions we could do for our practice match. What is your call?

Offline ieatfood7

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 20, 2012, 11:31:12 AM »
infinite free actions.  every free action i've seen that could be abused by that says "once per round."  I'd say infinite free actions, but you can't do the same free action more than once per round.

EDIT: from the DM's open ended answer on how to do the math for Sheerak having a bracer stapped to each arm, I am going to say that she gets the 1 AC from each bracer to stack (they each cover a different body part) but that the +2 for them do not stack, as usual (the normal rule is that bonuses don't stack.  DM can fudge dice as appropriate for weird characetrs like mine, but for us sparring, I wanted transparancy on the middle road answer I came up with.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 11:36:21 AM by ieatfood7 »

Offline GuyFawkes

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 20, 2012, 11:32:42 AM »
Alright, cool.

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #111 on: January 20, 2012, 11:49:45 AM »
From the SRD:

Free Action

Free actions consume a very small amount of time and effort. You can perform one or more free actions while taking another action normally. However, there are reasonable limits on what you can really do for free.

So while in theory you can do a billion things as long as they're all free actions, in practice you may want to exercise some restraint.   
Link to my homebrews

(Offsite server may be unstable. Report broken / unresponsive link with Post Upvote button)

Offline GuyFawkes

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 20, 2012, 11:55:39 AM »
Yes, well most of the things I use free actions with are self buffs that do not require physical movement, and can only be used once per round, so it's kinda not so abusable other than the fact that I could put up a few of my defensive abilities without moving. I'm trying to limit those that actually involve the character moving to one per round though.

Offline ieatfood7

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 20, 2012, 11:58:17 AM »
Yup, that was my joke about how all of our planning took less than 6 seconds, since talking is a free action ;)

Has anyone ever heard of the "flaw" called "chicken infested"?  It was published as a joke, but has been used in games.  The prerequisit is a level of commoner.  Whenever you draw an item from anywhere, there is a 50% chance that you pull out a chicken instead. 

Couple that with a wizard's meterial components bag, which it is a free action to draw out of, and draw the same component <A HUNDRED BILLION TIMES to get infinite chickens in <1 second.  sell them for riches!  feed the masses! suffocate the dragon in chickens!  get out of the bottomless pit by filling it with chickens!  the possibilities were endless! :)

As long as you're not rediculous (and keep in mind that I took 15 Attacks of Opportunity against Vir witout him even having to trigger it, so "rediculous" has a broad definition here) go for it.  I think not doing the same Free action more than once a turn is a good guideline, stoping infinite cheese.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 12:00:22 PM by ieatfood7 »

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #114 on: January 20, 2012, 12:01:34 PM »
I'm actually curious how you got those fifteen AOO's. I mean, I know the answer is Combat Reflexes, but that just gives you more Attacks of Opportunity to make. You still can only make one against any person, and only one for each opportunity they offer you. Vir activating an ability that provoked an AOO would only grant Sheerak one attack, unless she has something that lets her make all of her AOO's against someone for triggering one AOO.

As for the Chicken Avalanche, I've seen those joke feats, and that'd be hilarious. Just keep pulling out the material components for any spell where the components are 'seeds', 'bugs', or 'worms' and you'll either pull out Chickens, or Chicken Feed. In one round, after 2.45x1045 free actions, you'll do more damage to the local economy then every adventurer who ever lived in the history of ever.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 12:05:56 PM by Sneaky_Sable »
Link to my homebrews

Offline ieatfood7

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 20, 2012, 12:10:08 PM »
Start with one AoO
Tome feat Hoard Breaker gives Combat reflexes, and my Dex modifier is +5. (total 6 AoO per turn)
Tome TWF feat lets me take an attack with my off hand any time I attack with my main hand. (total 12 AoO per turn)
Tome TWF feat lets me make 3 extra AoO with only my off hand (total 15 AoO per turn)
Tome Samurai's Iaijutsu Focus ability lets me make any/all my AoO for a given turn at any time as an immediate action against any opponent I threaten.  I'll admit, OP, but its straight from the Races of War homebrew sourcebook.  MM can nerf if needed.

EDIT: I found people online calling the Iaijutsu Focus " Omnislash."  That is now its name ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Epj4dfmJPk
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 01:33:13 PM by ieatfood7 »

Offline GuyFawkes

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 20, 2012, 02:49:49 PM »
If I am correct, readying an action lowers your initiative below that of the character that triggered your readied action. So, the turn is yours now.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 20, 2012, 07:10:23 PM »
Hey MM, can you post the map and descriptions of the Slaver Compound to a separate thread so we don't have to track all the way back through the Janis thread to find it?  And possibly any other relevant pics of / info about Bral as well?

<edit>  I just started a new thread called "Bral Info" where I basically copied MM's single post with the original info (slightly edited to take out some of the extraneous color info from the first post).
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 07:26:56 PM by FireInTheSky »

Offline Debatra

• Kaedanis Pyran
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 20, 2012, 09:00:02 PM »
If I am correct, readying an action lowers your initiative below that of the character that triggered your readied action. So, the turn is yours now.

Readied actions (and their initiative) happen just before the trigger.

EDIT: Since I can't edit a post with rolls, Halt's Magic Aura will also make him read as Neutral Evil as well as nonmagical.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 09:09:51 PM by Debatra »
Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

Offline MetroMagic

• Honorary Mod
  • Organizations are imaginary.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 21, 2012, 01:35:21 PM »
Bral info thread, good idea! I posted Star's backgrounder and the images she put up on the wall.

...edited: And I also posted a 2nd set of info, and added titles at the beginning of each post to identify the topics in them:

BRAL DOCKS, POLITICS, TOPSIDE, UNDERSIDE

BRAL, ACHERON, ELVES
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 02:34:42 PM by MetroMagic »