Author Topic: Why are Undead so hated?  (Read 43602 times)

Offline betrayor

• Monitoring...
    • View Profile
Re: Why are Undead so hated?
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2012, 04:45:28 PM »
Well ,I think it depends on your game,I mean look at Ebberon where you are allowed to have whatever alignment regardless of the race.....
Also Libris Mortis had some good undead......
I think the "that all undead are evil" is mostly a guideline and for sure exceptions could be made.........

Offline Wrex

• Large and In Charge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2012, 06:06:56 PM »
Well ,I think it depends on your game,I mean look at Ebberon where you are allowed to have whatever alignment regardless of the race.....
Also Libris Mortis had some good undead......
I think the "that all undead are evil" is mostly a guideline and for sure exceptions could be made.........

I'm 90% sure that guy is quoting the BoVD, which famously stated that Sadomasochists are as bad as hitler.

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Smile! Jesus loves you!
    • View Profile
    • Greg Campbell's Portfolio
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2012, 06:51:17 PM »
I've seen the arguments.  Let's not turn this thread into an alignment debate or flame war.  And thanks for keeping things civil so far!

Y'all have provided rules-supported answers.  However, I'm glad this is a game where I, as GM, can ignore the parts I don't like.

WotC is more about, "Kill and fight and loot because it's fun!" instead of "Why are we doing this, again?"

Offline Captnq

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Haters gonna hate. Dragons gonna drag.
    • View Profile
    • Ask the Captain
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2012, 08:10:45 PM »
Y'all have provided rules-supported answers.  However, I'm glad this is a game where I, as GM, can ignore the parts I don't like.

WotC is more about, "Kill and fight and loot because it's fun!" instead of "Why are we doing this, again?"

Ah, see that's the problem. You ignore the parts you don't like. Not just the rules, but what people tell you.

Here is a perfect example:

Stop ignoring the facts already presented to you.

:lol

See? That right there.

Okay, here's the truth. The undead don't exist. This entire argument is moot.

But we are dealing in hypotheticals. We have a shared and agreed upon paradigm. That paradigm is set down by WotC for d20 3.5. If you wish to discuss something else, you need to indicate that you are using a different paradigm. My statements are based on that shared group paradigm. My statements, within that framework, are fact.

littha thinks it's a joke.

That why we cannot see eye to eye. I, and everyone else who accepts that undead are evil, is using the same paradigm. You and littha have decided to ignore the d20 3.5 paradigm of objective morality. No matter how much you may want it to change, d20 is objective Morality. There is a section for varient rules involving Subjective morality, but that is not cannon.

If you wish to discuss subjective morality, that's fine. Start a new thread and state up front that you wish to argue the point using a completely different world few. I'd be happy to discuss it.

But I find it annoying when people just ignore facts because they think the facts can be interperted differently. There is no other way to see the rules under d20 3.5. Period. Sorry. Start a new thread asking about undead in a subjective universe, but stop trying to change the fundimental laws of dungeons and dragons.

The original question is: Why are Undead so Hated?

This question has been answered many times. You keep trying verbal gymnastics to try and convince people that undead arn't so bad. You have failed to convince me that I should like the undead, and I'm a damn open minded guy. If you can't convince ME,  I seriously doubt you could convince more then oh... 1% of any given average nation in most D&D settings that undead aren't so bad.

If you can't convince me, you sure as hell can't convince a dirt farmer. And Thus, THAT is why undead are hated.
If you have questions about 3.5 D&D, you might want to look at the:
Encyclopedia Vinculum Draconis

Currently: Podcasting

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2012, 08:48:09 PM »

I'm 90% sure that guy is quoting the BoVD, which famously stated that Sadomasochists are as bad as hitler.

Monte Cook continued with the "S&M is evil" message in his version of World of Darkness.  The soul of the Marquis de Sade became a vampire and now runs his own cult of Saw-style torture-killers.  From what I know of Marquis, he was a sexual deviant for his time who loved sodomy, prostitutes, and fantasized about whips and chains, but I don't think he got off on killing people.

Normally this wouldn't get my attention, as Marquis promoted freedom with no moral limits, although I began to see a trend when I read MCWOD.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2012, 09:40:05 PM »
My problem isn't so much your argument, Undead are (generally) Evil . My problem is how you are conducting it, circular logic, analogies of things you have done in a game and pop culture videos and quotes are not all that convincing and don't really add that much to the conversation. Further your continued insistence that the negative energy plane is evil hurts your credibility further.

I requested proof that creating a zombie directly affected a creatures soul, not just rendered its body unresurrectable akin to being used as a component of a flesh golem. You have provided no evidence of this in the whole thread.

Honestly posting huge walls of text and then telling people to go back through them if pressed for supporting evidence is no way to bring people to your side.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2012, 11:23:10 PM »
if by proof, rules text are meant, i don't think there is much.

obviously, as has already been covered: the create undead spell has the evil descriptor. my understanding is that makes it an evil act to cast it, which may or may not be considered logical, but that seems to be the rule.

the section on spell descriptors even says that most descriptors have little game effect, by which i construe to mean rules / mechanical effect. they basically limit who can and cannot cast those spells.

that seems to be the only rule about it i can find quickly. (ie: 3 minutes searching. ^^)

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2012, 02:05:35 AM »
There are naturally arising, non-evil undead as well. Ghosts for one, zombies and skeletons for another. Others meanwhile have 'usually evil' which denotes a level of evil similar to monstrous humanoids. So they aren't sweepingly evil by definition.

It seems to me the PROCESS is generally evil(as it uses a spell that draws in part upon objective evil as per the descriptor, an infection or requires some great trauma, all commonly inflicted upon unwilling subjects.), the results MAY be evil(depending on variety) and the motives mixed. Most necromancers raise the dead because its useful, rather than because they really enjoy the suffering of a soul which they have no mechanical means to detect.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2012, 04:35:12 AM »
MM Monsters by Fluff Text. Ignoring the alignment entries and just gauging them by their descriptions.
Ratings based PURELY by descriptions.

Rating:
Same as in life << Neutral or Evil << Usually Evil << Yeah, Evil << Hardcore Evil
(click to show/hide)

So 11/16 are evil enough to be worth hating by Mr. Righteous. Ghoul is nasty enough, he can be hated by just about anyone even if he's just a hungry guy. Skeletons and Zombies...you'd probably hate the master more, if he's been misusing them. More likely to be hated by druids and those valuing the natural order. The 2/16 remaining don't have a nature worth hating, but might have actions worth hating, depending on motivations. Best to exercise caution with them.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 07:47:15 PM by skydragonknight »
Hmm.

Offline SneeR

• Legendary Member
  • Sneering
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2012, 03:23:18 PM »
Why are undead so hated? Stereotyping and unfair generalizations, of course.

The most common undead is obviously the zombie/skelton. Well, those undead need to be made out of a preexisting corpse. People tend to get frustrated when necromancers go digging through Grandma's graveyard plot that they paid so much to procure. They become doubly so when Grandma starts trying to eat them. Seriously, who wants to

That this is the most common experience with the undead means it becomes the generalization that commoners know about. Now all undead are violations of Grandma who you just got over mourning.
A smile from ear to ear
3.5 is disappointingly flawed.

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2012, 05:54:53 PM »
So if something wants to eat your brain its unfair to hate them? :P
Hmm.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2012, 06:06:35 PM »
"A Lich is an undead spellcaster, usually a wizard or sorcerer but sometimes a cleric or other spellcaster, who has used its magical powers to unnaturally extend its life. As a rule, these creatures are scheming and, some day insane.
Same as in life Power corrupts, sure, and good guys might not be comfy with the whole walking skeleton look, but anyone with the know-how can become one.
You forgot a key point of the lich:

The process of becoming a lich is unspeakably evil and can be undertaken only by a willing character.

It offers no details, and it doesn't need to really. You have to do something really wicked to turn into a lich, and you're doing it of your own will, unlike the undeads that were corrupted by an exterior source. You're knowingly corrupting yourself, which I believe counts as top evil.

Pretty good job in the other undeads tough!

Offline betrayor

• Monitoring...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2012, 06:14:46 PM »
"A Lich is an undead spellcaster, usually a wizard or sorcerer but sometimes a cleric or other spellcaster, who has used its magical powers to unnaturally extend its life. As a rule, these creatures are scheming and, some day insane.
Same as in life Power corrupts, sure, and good guys might not be comfy with the whole walking skeleton look, but anyone with the know-how can become one.

The process of becoming a lich is unspeakably evil and can be undertaken only by a willing character.

It offers no details, and it doesn't need to really. You have to do something really wicked to turn into a lich, and you're doing it of your own will, unlike the undeads that were corrupted by an exterior source. You're knowingly corrupting yourself, which I believe counts as top evil.

Pretty good job in the other undeads tough!
Yes,but there are good liches as shown in Libris Mortis....

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2012, 07:13:59 PM »

Specifically noted as a variant, with diferent game rules and everything.

And then you get lichfiends (but no lichcelestials). And dozens of new very definetely evil undeads.

Offline betrayor

• Monitoring...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2012, 07:18:15 PM »

Specifically noted as a variant, with diferent game rules and everything.

And then you get lichfiends (but no lichcelestials). And dozens of new very definetely evil undeads.
Of course,I never argued that the vast majority of the undead are not evil......
I am just saying that within the rules non-evil undead are possible, for example any evil undead subject to Sanctify the Wicked will become good.....

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2012, 07:21:05 PM »
It is also possible for any intelligent undead to just be good, we have had good demons and evil angels which are literally made from evil or good.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2012, 07:28:38 PM »
It is also possible for any intelligent undead to just be good, we have had good demons and evil angels which are literally made from evil or good.

I recall one succubus paladin, but I don't recall any evil angel that hasn't gained the evil subtype (aka devils).

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2012, 07:34:00 PM »
A Planatar called Avamerin in Elder Evils, worships Sertrous. Still has the Good subtype.

One thing I noted in the post above was that being aggressive and predatory imply evil, there are a lot of predatory creatures out there and I am sure they are not all evil.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 08:00:43 PM by littha »

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2012, 07:49:32 PM »

Oh! I did miss that, and it should definitely be counter towards 'fluff analysis'. Edited my post. Thanks!
Hmm.

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Smile! Jesus loves you!
    • View Profile
    • Greg Campbell's Portfolio
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2012, 08:23:43 PM »
Monsters of Faerun has good liches.