Author Topic: [PF] Optimizing a Hobgoblin Monk (Antagonist)  (Read 2315 times)

Offline PsyBomb

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
[PF] Optimizing a Hobgoblin Monk (Antagonist)
« on: July 26, 2013, 08:15:17 PM »
This character is a Hobgoblin, serving as a recurring (honorable) antagonist. The build I am presenting is going to be progressive, the party will meet him several times over their career. Stats are rolled, not bought, so don't worry too much about the total (total is 27, a bit high for a player but good for a major antagonist). Feats marked with an asterisk are bonus feats. Also note that I am avoiding Monster Feats, treating him as an NPC

Arak, LE Hobgoblin
Monk (Martial Artist Archetype)

Starting stats (including racials)-
Str: 19 (increase at 8, 16, and 20)
Dex: 15 (increase at 4)
Con: 13 (increase at 12)
Int: 10
Wis: 16
Cha: 10

1: Power Attack, *Dodge
2: *Combat Reflexes
3: Weapon Focus (Unarmed Strike)
5: Dragon Style
6: *Deflect Arrows
7:  Weapon Specialization (Unarmed Strike)
9: Greater Weapon Focus (Unarmed Strike)
10: *Improved Critical (Unarmed Strike)
11: Dragon Ferocity
13: Greater Weapon Specialization (Unarmed Strike)
14: *Medusa's Wrath
15: Elemental Fist
17: Dragon Roar
18: *Snatch Arrows
19: Pin Down

The idea is pretty straightforward. Between Stunning Fist/Pain Points/Exploit Weakness, the Fighter Feats, Dragon Style series, and eventually Medusa's Wrath and Elemental Fist he makes a ferocious combatant. Strength and Wisdom are the focus stats for items of course, and combined with basic AC items will make him a challenge to take down. Well, plus the occasional Exploit Weakness on the defensive for getaways.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 10:35:40 PM by PsyBomb »

Offline Dawnmor

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: Optimizing a Hobgoblin Monk (Antagonist)
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 09:40:57 PM »
Well for one, Weapon Specialization is FIGHTER ONLY, you cant take it as Monk, and sense your going with Monk use Supreme Unarmed Strike out of TOB I Think thats the name of the feat.

Offline PsyBomb

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: Optimizing a Hobgoblin Monk (Antagonist)
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 09:47:44 PM »
Well for one, Weapon Specialization is FIGHTER ONLY, you cant take it as Monk, and sense your going with Monk use Supreme Unarmed Strike out of TOB I Think thats the name of the feat.

Forgot to note in title, but this is in Pathfinder system. The Martial Artist Archetype allows Fighter-only feats substituting your Monk level. Editing a link to it in now, and also mixing in Quinggong for one substitution.

EDIT: Forgot the rather strange ruling that you can't use Quinggong to retrieve abilities your archetype traded out.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 10:40:12 AM by PsyBomb »

Offline PsyBomb

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: [PF] Optimizing a Hobgoblin Monk (Antagonist)
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 10:34:15 PM »
Updated the order of feats a bit, since Dragon Style maths out better against a group of PCs who are not likely to allow very many Flurries. For reference:

Rogue - pretty standard, loves his dirty tricks. Old hand at the game
Sorceress - New player, basically taking an Angry Birds theme and running with it (and somehow, it works).
Cleric - Healer concept, primarily
Barbarian - Greataxe crit-fisher. Pretty spectacular seeing 45-50 point outputs at level 2. Not always there
Bard - playing a Halfling version of Tyrion Lannister... and it's freaking epic. Only occasionally there
There is also a GMPC sword/board paladin for when the barbarian and bard aren't there. He's more there as a plot hook, the NPC they're working for is the paladin's father.

The party is level 2 at the moment, about to run into Arak for the first time (he's level 4). Around level 10-12 he might become an ally depending on PC actions