Author Topic: The Small Rants Thread XII: The Folly of Life  (Read 180188 times)

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
Re: The Small Rants Thread XII: The Folly of Life
« Reply #620 on: October 20, 2020, 07:42:41 PM »
   ~~~~ ____   |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
  Y_,___|[]|      |  :banghead Work Fuckery Train  :banghead  |
 {|_|_|_|PU|_,_|_________________________|
//oo---OO=OO     OOO     OOO    OOO

They have outright removed the hours from my shifts worked, and paid me a total of 6.5 hours overtime for a ~72 hour workweek. This is straight up wage theft at this point, and I'm getting stonewalled by the company.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: October 21, 2020, 06:50:41 PM »
Have you tried the local Board of Labor?

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: October 21, 2020, 09:59:48 PM »

They are unsurprisingly swamped, what with the whole pandemic thing. Good news though, they finally got their heads out of their asses and fixed my schedule, so that I'm back to working my government-approved 24/week, and they are all graveyards, so if they need me to cover a swing I just have to zombie my way to the desk and sit in front of the cameras for a shift then start patrolling as normal when I'm fully awake later.

Now if they pay me what they owe me, everything will be just fine.

Offline Psysama

• Personal Pizza
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dnd-wiki.org
« Reply #623 on: October 24, 2020, 07:08:39 PM »

They are unsurprisingly swamped, what with the whole pandemic thing. Good news though, they finally got their heads out of their asses and fixed my schedule, so that I'm back to working my government-approved 24/week, and they are all graveyards, so if they need me to cover a swing I just have to zombie my way to the desk and sit in front of the cameras for a shift then start patrolling as normal when I'm fully awake later.

Now if they pay me what they owe me, everything will be just fine.
Would you like to hire the Dark Brotherhood? :evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh :devil
Signature here.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: October 28, 2020, 05:28:45 PM »
They're shorting me now too.  Also had a Tornado Warning last Sunday.  Sounded the alarm and everyone ran outside.  I asked wtf, and they thought it was the fire alarm.  When I told them it was the tornado alarm they said they didn't realize that, despite the alarms being quite different.  Also, really?  It's pouring  rain with 30+ mph winds and you really thought the fire alarm was more likely?  Goddamn, you people are idiots.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: October 31, 2020, 02:20:23 AM »
Today completely sucked. I got to work to find K_ there. K_ was the former bosses pet snitch. She informs me L_, the current boss, is no longer with the company and she is acting boss until the account manager comes in to interview everyone Wednesday. He needs statements about L_s behavior before then and I am asked to do one. I am told to delete his number from my phone so I don't get fired for 'collusion'. This sets off red flags. If he's already fired, why do they need statements? Then they show me their statements. Apparently L_ threatened to hit one of them and there is a 'screenshot' of it. He's threatened to punch several employees, especially me for going over his head, and claimed I'm lucky he doesn't hit (ableist slur). He also has a pet name for me (dickwad), and thinks I live in my 'own little action movie in my head' (he doesn't believe my reports). Apparently he also slammed a 20 on the table and told me to shove it up my ass, which I do not remember happening. Which makes me question the validity of the rest of it. 1st shift leaves and client management asks me where L_ is, and I tell them he is no longer with the company. On a whim I call his boss and ask his email so I cam mail my statement, and get told L_ is suspended till Wednesday and may be fired pending an investigation, and I am not to let him in. Then I find out K_ has been telling the client L_ is fired and she is the new boss, not the acting boss. Now I'm unsure what to do.

Offline altpersona

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • You are here
« Reply #626 on: October 31, 2020, 08:14:11 AM »
 :bigeyes :banghead
The goal of power is power. - 1984
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow
The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga still sux.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: November 01, 2020, 01:12:07 AM »
Today completely sucked. I got to work to find K_ there. K_ was the former bosses pet snitch. She informs me L_, the current boss, is no longer with the company and she is acting boss until the account manager comes in to interview everyone Wednesday. He needs statements about L_s behavior before then and I am asked to do one. I am told to delete his number from my phone so I don't get fired for 'collusion'. This sets off red flags. If he's already fired, why do they need statements? Then they show me their statements. Apparently L_ threatened to hit one of them and there is a 'screenshot' of it. He's threatened to punch several employees, especially me for going over his head, and claimed I'm lucky he doesn't hit (ableist slur). He also has a pet name for me (dickwad), and thinks I live in my 'own little action movie in my head' (he doesn't believe my reports). Apparently he also slammed a 20 on the table and told me to shove it up my ass, which I do not remember happening. Which makes me question the validity of the rest of it. 1st shift leaves and client management asks me where L_ is, and I tell them he is no longer with the company. On a whim I call his boss and ask his email so I cam mail my statement, and get told L_ is suspended till Wednesday and may be fired pending an investigation, and I am not to let him in. Then I find out K_ has been telling the client L_ is fired and she is the new boss, not the acting boss. Now I'm unsure what to do.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume there isn't someone ABOVE L you can go to in order to report this dipshittery?
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: November 01, 2020, 01:35:57 AM »
Yes, but he wants L_ gone and is a prolific liar.

Offline Psysama

• Personal Pizza
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: November 01, 2020, 02:48:37 AM »
Yes, but he wants L_ gone and is a prolific liar.
He should hook up with my ex, she's a compulsive liar.  Between the two of them, you'd never get the truth. :lol
Signature here.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: November 01, 2020, 08:04:30 PM »
Hugs for Bhu , but ...

... I live in my 'own little action movie in my head' ...

I can't be the only one who reads this and thinks : " Hey, I would actually pay admission to view one of Bhu's action movies in his head. "

half  ;) , half serious
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: November 19, 2020, 06:34:55 PM »
Had laser surgery for my glaucoma.  First they put a"numbing drop" that burns like fire for several seconds till it takes effect.  This is so you can put your head in some contraption before they lube a lens device which they press and hold firmly directly against the eyeball.  Then they zap you repeatedly with the laser while adjusting said lens for each angle.  You know when the laser hits cause there's a bright green flash before an electric shock travels through your eye.  Takes 5 minutes.  Feels like a lot longer.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: November 19, 2020, 07:35:51 PM »
Had laser surgery for my glaucoma.  First they put a"numbing drop" that burns like fire for several seconds till it takes effect.  This is so you can put your head in some contraption before they lube a lens device which they press and hold firmly directly against the eyeball.  Then they zap you repeatedly with the laser while adjusting said lens for each angle.  You know when the laser hits cause there's a bright green flash before an electric shock travels through your eye.  Takes 5 minutes.  Feels like a lot longer.

It's like getting a vasectomy. Thoroughly unpleasant in a very alien way, but not the kind of torture you'd expect.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: November 23, 2020, 11:50:06 PM »
Quit the security job tonight. HR finally got in touch, just to emphatically repeat that company policy is to not pay me for the overtime hours. Note that part of the job description is mandatory overtime, so I can't just turn it down either. Fuck em, security is always hiring, even during a pandemic.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: November 24, 2020, 12:04:37 AM »
Quit the security job tonight. HR finally got in touch, just to emphatically repeat that company policy is to not pay me for the overtime hours. Note that part of the job description is mandatory overtime, so I can't just turn it down either. Fuck em, security is always hiring, even during a pandemic.

But is that legal? Company policy means nothing as far as labor laws go.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: November 24, 2020, 01:48:04 AM »
Labor law says they can define a workday in a way that technically allows this, individual court cases consistently rule that they can't, but they don't compel anyone outside that case to change.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: November 25, 2020, 04:49:02 PM »
You've got experience now, and other companies are desperate for people now.  Good luck!

Offline Keldar

• Legendary Member
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: November 26, 2020, 12:04:55 AM »
You've got experience now, and other companies are desperate for people now.  Good luck!
But don't tell the new places why you quit.  They're fuckers too.  Tell them you wanted to expand your opportunities, or whatever PR bullshit you can come up with.

Offline Psysama

• Personal Pizza
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: November 26, 2020, 12:55:26 AM »
This is REALLY hard for me to ask for this level of help.
I'm financially fucked.  Every little bit will help.
Signature here.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #639 on: December 01, 2020, 05:16:25 PM »
***snip***

I noticed an occasional grammar thing (to instead of too, etc), but otherwise seems pretty sound.
Reminds me of why I'm glad I don't work security anymore.

My experiences were not quite that bad, but I did have to write up the owner of the security company that I worked for one evening for 15 different infractions of client company and security company regulations in a single evening. (any one of which he would have fired any of us for....) Made two copies, handed him on one his way out the door in a sealed envelope with a request that he look at it when he had the time (hah, not soon, likely), and handed the other copy to the client. My letter apparently made it up to the Board of Directors of the client company and cost him the contract. The client also offered to write me a letter of recommendation for my next job, in case I needed it. 

Interestingly enough, I didn't lose my job despite getting yelled at for an extended period of time, he was hurting for people that badly. His other source of income was a laundromat... with all the vehicles he was buying for himself and his wife, we joked that clothes weren't the only thing he was having laundered.