Author Topic: Intelligent Item campaign-PCs play as the equipment! (D&D 3.5)  (Read 40293 times)

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Campaign idea: GMPC is a low-level adventurer. Players are intelligent items in his possession, trying to keep him alive.

Using this piece of homebrew from the same thread of course.

Setting: Since I'm extremely lazy somewhat busy, the campaign will start with a short adventure, The Crumbling Hall of the Frost Giant Snarl. Pretty much what it says on the title, castle full of evil frost giants, except instead of a party, a idiot brave NPC hero will seek to clear it, and the party are his magic gear that must do all the actual hard work support him so he can fulfill his destiny! If we ever complete that, I'll expand the campaign.

Crunch:
32 PB, standard WBL, 2 flaws, one trait, and of course you must take Intelligent Item as your class/race.

Some other relevant questions already asked:
On a related note: Would an II with the form of a suit of armor be subject to its own ASF if it took the ACF?
No while on armor form.

As a Magic Ring, can I get Magic Ring properties? If so, what level do I have to be to be able to get these properties?
Yes, and the magic properties come out of your WBL, just like you were equipping a character. You'll probaly want to use the rules for adding extra effets to a magic item.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
Re: Intelligent Item campaign-PCs play as the equipment! (D&D 3.5)
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 08:08:53 PM »
Hm, well, since I want to mess around with Ancient Temple, I'd rather like to be a pair of swords, thus being our hero's weapons. Any objections?

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 08:09:05 PM »
Hmm, dwarf barbarian 10 with Improved Toughness sounds tough enough for you? Kinda makes sense for him to decide to go solo a castle full of giants, in particular with all the voices inside his head. :P

Can the dwarf be a frenzied berserker?

So that we can have huge panic attacks when the dwarf has panic attacks  :lmao

Can I call dibs on a hat?

Wait, what would WBL be able to be spent on?....
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 08:43:13 PM by ketaro »

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 08:36:14 PM »
Yes, for this. Thinking armor? Will have to brainstorm specifics when I have time.
Hmm.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 11:06:10 PM »
If someone wanted to play the Barbarian's gauntlets of ogre strength, which just so happened to occasionally encourage the dwarf to burn everything Ok yeah to burn everything, how would that work given the item's limitations on form? Would that be a masterwork tool, or a weapon?

>_>

<_<

Offline MrRoboto

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 11:28:00 PM »
Would like to play the Dwarf's armor.

Oops, armor's taken. Seconding Venn Dygrem's question about a Handy Haversack.

Also, each item gets its own WBL? This is going to be one scarily well equipped Dwarf.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 12:05:48 AM by MrRoboto »

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 11:57:46 PM »
I can't imagine WBL will be terribly helpful since you're only proficient in yourself, and have no body slots (unless you take Deceivingly Innocent Form). So most of your WBL will need to go into enchanting yourself, I imagine. That kind of tips the scales in favor of the Dwarf/wielder, though.

Offline MrRoboto

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 12:01:32 AM »
Is there any reason an item couldn't spend WBL on non intelligent items for the Dwarf?

Also, if I'm allowed to play a haversack, I'll have plenty of things to spend money on.

EDIT: Rereading the II class, this line:

It can be further enhanced with magic as a regular weapon or armor by a spellcaster, or be turned into a wondrous item or magic ring as appropriate to its original form.

Would suggest that we need to come up with skills that a pair of gloves and a haversack respectively could reasonably be masterwork tools for.

Gloves ought to be fairly easy on that count. A haversack... will give it some thought.

Thought: Balance (fill it just right and it evens out your weight distribution), Bluff (who knows what you might have in there), Disguise (stick it over your head), Profession (Burglar), Swim (contains inflated pockets for buoyancy)   
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 12:19:10 AM by MrRoboto »

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 12:23:34 AM »
The skills also have to be discipline skills for your martial disciplines, if you're a masterwork tool.

Offline MrRoboto

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 01:25:15 AM »
There's always the ACF to get around that, but there's also homebrew disciplines for every skill (though not every sub skill of Knowledge, Profession etc). 

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 04:40:26 AM »

Oops, armor's taken.

I'm actually toying around with the idea of an animated shield if you want to be the armor. :)
I have the exact amount of wealth by level to be +5 Animated :D
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 04:43:22 AM by skydragonknight »
Hmm.

Offline Kasz

• The God-Emperor protects, the Omnissiah provides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 06:02:47 AM »
Too late to express my interest? What is this dwarf already wearing?

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 06:21:24 AM »
Too late to express my interest? What is this dwarf already wearing?

You can count me out if it helps make enough space.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 08:07:07 AM »

Oops, armor's taken.

I'm actually toying around with the idea of an animated shield if you want to be the armor. :)
I have the exact amount of wealth by level to be +5 Animated :D

Hurrah, animated!

My WBL is kind of useless if I do youkai-forged blades, as then I cannot be enchanted.

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 08:19:26 AM »
weapon crystals?
Hmm.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2014, 08:33:16 AM »
They feel like natural extensions of your body, allowing you to treat them both as light weapons whenever it would be benefical for you, while still being able to power attack with them. Altough they cannot be enchanted, they're indestructible, benefit from a permanent ghost touch effect, and count as magic for bypassing DR.

For the purposes of feats that affect a specific weapon, your pair of Youkai-Forged blades count as a single weapon, so for example you could take Weapon Focus (Youkai-Forged blades).

You can also now learn Ancient Temple maneuvers, wich can only be used with the Youkai-Forged blades. You must still give up one of your original schools if you're a martial initiator.

The pair of Youkai-Forged Blades also count as a single masterwork tool that grants a +2 Competence bonus on Profession(Gardener) checks.

The swords don't really need buffing. XD

Offline Threadnaught

• 1% good ideas 99% crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2014, 08:42:31 AM »
So we each get full WBL?
Like the whole WBL listed at 10th level?

I've only recently read up on the DMG, so I'm not sure whether it's the number in the table or something entirely different. In any case, I'll get to work on finishing Gnir'cigam the Magic Ring.

I just realized, as a Magic Ring I should be Fine size. Heh, I actually chose it because there are some cool things a Ring can do and we would benefit from a caster.

Because I've never actually "played" a Monster Class (I've DMed with a couple) I'm a little hazy on how 4th level Ability Scores work.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2014, 08:45:30 AM »
You get ability score increases every 4th level. The whole point of the system is that you just take the class like a normal class--except templates and PrC's, they overwrite your race and can only be taken at first level (without a specific feat combination that lets you take another).

Offline Threadnaught

• 1% good ideas 99% crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2014, 09:14:38 AM »
You get ability score increases every 4th level. The whole point of the system is that you just take the class like a normal class--except templates and PrC's, they overwrite your race and can only be taken at first level (without a specific feat combination that lets you take another).

That is the way I've run it as a DM, but it's worth double checking.

Offline Kasz

• The God-Emperor protects, the Omnissiah provides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2014, 11:10:10 AM »
What comes to mind for me is playing the Barbarian's Spellbook... an intelligent talking book (masterwork tool for knowledge arcana checks) that uses illusion spells to explain things to the illiterate barbarian, a picture book. Makes knowledge checks, cast spells, supports.