Author Topic: Intelligent Item campaign-PCs play as the equipment! (D&D 3.5)  (Read 40320 times)

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
Re: Intelligent Item campaign-PCs play as the equipment! (D&D 3.5)
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2014, 07:05:53 PM »
Trivia: Exchew materials only ignores cheap spell components, not spell focus. But yes if you don't mind paying all that metamagic, it would work.

You'll have to be more specific about that. What curse would you want?

Is it too much trouble to have a bunch of spell foci hanging off the hat like a charm bracelet?  :P

Would it be so entirely terrible if the Curse I wanted was "Character cannot cast any spells"?  :devil

Though I suppose I could suffice with just a combo of "Item looks ridiculous" & "Character is polymorphed into a specific creature (5% chance [01–05 on d%] each day)." (A Horrid Lion (Horrid template from ECS on a Dire Lion) would be beautiful :3 aaaaand considering it IS a spirit lion totem barbarian apparently.....but that is just a lovely coincidence as it's more because I am looking at the Alternate Form feat by Prime32 and picking a cat and the Horrid stuff at least gives me a decent image of something suiting the Scary theme of this hat! )
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 07:09:12 PM by ketaro »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2014, 08:36:10 PM »
I hate 10th level. :shakefist

Stupid round numbers not giving anything good (like 6th level stances). >:T
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 08:43:12 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline Clanjos

• Super Smiting Robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2014, 09:34:09 PM »
So, between the Large Ham thing which prevents me from making stealth-related checks, being a suit of full plate, and being a magic set of armor, I have decided that the Blur effect is just because the armor is so shiny that people can't look directly at it.

+1 enhancement, Blurring, Blurring (Greater): 16000
Deepdweller: 12000
Blueshine Armor: 1500
Landing: +4000
Commander: +2000
Ornate: +500

That gives me a total of 36000 gp spent of 49000. Anyone got 13000 gp of mundane enhancements that fit the theme of "loud, obnoxiously shiny armor"?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 09:35:50 PM by Clanjos »
Quote from:  a weekly game
"Sometimes, even an adventurer needs a backrub."

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2014, 09:41:36 PM »
Glassteel armor.

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2014, 09:42:09 PM »
Barbarians don't have Heavy Armor proficiency, so he's be taking an attack roll penalty if you're full plate. :/

It would be cool if you were made from adamantine so I could use this boost:
(click to show/hide)
Hmm.

Offline Clanjos

• Super Smiting Robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2014, 09:45:38 PM »
I'll grab Oerthblooded so I'm treated as Adamantine, cost permitting. What's the source for Glassteel again?
Quote from:  a weekly game
"Sometimes, even an adventurer needs a backrub."

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2014, 09:51:43 PM »
(Side note: main reason I want 6th level stances is the ability to grant 5'*IL melee range rather than an Unseen Servant effect'. Probably better we don't get it... if we want to take advantage of having a berserker's durability. :lmao)

Offline MrRoboto

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2014, 10:00:26 PM »
Since we actually have to share stances, we're not likely to have any shortage of strong options. There are several good lv5 ones.

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2014, 10:07:31 PM »
I plan on delaying in combat until right before the (most threatening) enemy's turn. At that point, if I haven't used a Counter, I'll swap stances for a defensive one.
Hmm.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 27, 2014, 10:12:49 PM »
Since we actually have to share stances, we're not likely to have any shortage of strong options. There are several good lv5 ones.

Whether this is practical depends on the possibility of using Mystic Dream. On top of the stance benefits, that would grant TWF and Improved TWF--which is good if I'm playing Youkai-Forged Blades, as this means: A) Two items, and B) lots of TWF-focused attacks.

Ancient Temple, even without the stance, is good for hitting enemies trying to kite you. :lmao
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 10:15:37 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 27, 2014, 11:40:37 PM »
I'll grab Oerthblooded so I'm treated as Adamantine, cost permitting. What's the source for Glassteel again?

Player's Guide to Faerun?
Or Races of Faerun.
It's Faerun somewhere.

It's like all the benefits of Adamantine & Mithril in one :p

Offline MrRoboto

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2014, 12:04:03 AM »
So, I've realized I have neither the time nor sufficient inclination to play a sentient Shax's Haversack at this juncture.

Therefore, Boots.

Kix, The Ironshod

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 08:23:51 PM by MrRoboto »

Offline Kasz

• The God-Emperor protects, the Omnissiah provides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2014, 08:10:50 AM »
Going to assume I'm Tiny? due to being book sized...

The Illiterate Frenzied Berserker's Spellbook

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 09:05:20 AM by Kasz »

Offline MrRoboto

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2014, 06:06:08 PM »
Besides turning off the sun, Ironheart is seriously underwhelming me, and Wallace has balance covered anyway.

Would like to use Lightning Fox instead.

My other discipline is homebrew as well so throwing that out there also: Scarlet Rose

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2014, 09:03:51 PM »
Ugh, I'm becoming a tad disinterested after trying to shop for this type of character.......  :tongue

This is what I got

Bailey, the (Hopefully Cursed) Scary Hat

I am literally at a loss for stuff to buy. I've gone through like a dozen books and everything is lackluster shit or out of my price range or just straight up flowing against the theme hard.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2014, 09:05:02 PM »
You could've enchanted yourself to buff his con or something. :P

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2014, 09:09:00 PM »
That reminds me that I had a question about that skipped.

If I enchant myself with an enhancement bonus to a stat, does it only apply the boost to the person I am equipped to or both of us?

Some one else probably is having a Con boost....I'd want Cha but that decision relates to the question.

Also re-asking this one so as to avoid previous questions being lost again
Is it too much trouble to have a bunch of spell foci hanging off the hat like a charm bracelet?  :P

Would it be so entirely terrible if the Curse I wanted was "Character cannot cast any spells"?  :devil

Though I suppose I could suffice with just a combo of "Item looks ridiculous" & "Character is polymorphed into a specific creature (5% chance [01–05 on d%] each day)." (A Horrid Lion (Horrid template from ECS on a Dire Lion) would be beautiful :3 aaaaand considering it IS a spirit lion totem barbarian apparently.....but that is just a lovely coincidence as it's more because I am looking at the Alternate Form feat by Prime32 and picking a cat and the Horrid stuff at least gives me a decent image of something suiting the Scary theme of this hat! )

Offline MrRoboto

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 28, 2014, 09:54:02 PM »
Can we enchant ourselves for bonuses to any stat, not limited by slot? If so, are other abilities limited by slot (eg could the boots be enchanted with the effect of a belt of battle)?

Ideas (all from the Magic Item Compendium)

Useful even if only the Dwarf can use the abilities
Horned Helm (8000): fluff it as the cat ears being really sharp. Dwarf has pounce so more attacks are always good.
Helm of Gazes (5000): Ignore 3 gazes/day. It could come up and it'd be really handy if it did.
Bear Helm (1500): Forget the description exists and you've got a solid counter to something that could really ruin our day
Mindvault (8000): Another counter for things that potentially make us all cry metal tears.
Scout's Headband (3400): True Seeing is good and I don't think we have it yet.

Useful if you can also use the abilities
Circlet of Mages (5000):  basically 3 spell levels of pearl of power/day  and +2 concentration.
Circlet of Rapid Casting (15000): Compares favorably with Lesser Metamagic Rod (Quicken) which is a good place to be.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 12:14:31 AM by MrRoboto »

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2014, 02:25:38 PM »
Net time will be quite limited for me this week.

Sadly, one of the weapons has to be light, and it's the battleaxe that isn't. Can I just stick with the one school? :S
You can.

Relatedly: if I have the Ancient Temple tactical feats, would the dorf benefit? Especially where (I think) Mystic Dream is concerned so we don't eat TWF penalties all day. :lol
No, but you can suggest feat swapping for the dwarf NPC, plus he can pick another flaw for another feat.

I'm going through Spells and am wondering if Spells that affect Weapons, Armour and other Items are fair game to use on other PCs.
Yes.

Eerr, it already says " As with maneuvers, the Intelligent Item cannot cast spells by itself, it must be wielded by somebody to speak the words, do the movements, and sprinkle any needed components on the Intelligent Item."

After reading this I'm still not sure whether you're saying "the whole ability works like Martial Purpose so spells use the items' actions not the wielders'" or "it states that the item needs a wielder without mentioning that it doesn't take actions for the wielder so it does."
Works like martial purpose. The item provides the action itself, it just needs to be wielded by someone that can make the gestures and sounds.

Trivia: Exchew materials only ignores cheap spell components, not spell focus. But yes if you don't mind paying all that metamagic, it would work.

You'll have to be more specific about that. What curse would you want?

It is fine.

Considering that it would kinda block spell-granting items, yes.

Despite what some media may make you think, transforming the wielder into a super strong creature isn't much of a curse.
Would also interfere with the wielding some of your allies bit.

Besides turning off the sun, Ironheart is seriously underwhelming me, and Wallace has balance covered anyway.

Would like to use Lightning Fox instead.

My other discipline is homebrew as well so throwing that out there also: Scarlet Rose
Yes to Scarlet Rose, no to Lighting Fox.

That reminds me that I had a question about that skipped.

If I enchant myself with an enhancement bonus to a stat, does it only apply the boost to the person I am equipped to or both of us?

Some one else probably is having a Con boost....I'd want Cha but that decision relates to the question.
Hmm,  ok, you benefit from whatever effects you grant to your wielder because of your own enanchments.

Can we enchant ourselves for bonuses to any stat, not limited by slot? If so, are other abilities limited by slot (eg could the boots be enchanted with the effect of a belt of battle)?
Ah, what the hell, I'll say yes to that as long as you can come with an half-plausible explanation better than "a wizard did it for the lulz". :P

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2014, 02:28:29 PM »
Feat-swapping? Doesn't that take levelling up? :huh

And the dorf couldn't get an ancient temple stance so can't take Mystic Dream. I think. He has enough Dex for TWF, I see. Dorf, take TWF! You have two axes in your appearance anyway! Take the flaw that lowers your will saves! :lmao
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 02:33:57 PM by Raineh Daze »