Author Topic: Interest check-in for a 5th Edition D&D game  (Read 42236 times)

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
Interest check-in for a 5th Edition D&D game
« on: August 20, 2014, 09:16:35 PM »
Over in the General Discussion forum, there was some interest in trying out the newly published 5th edition of Dungeons & Dragons. I've already had experience running versions of the rules through the playtest program, and so I've offered to run a play-by-post game for it.

So far, interested players include: linklord231, caelic, and bhu. Ideally, I'd like to limit it to 5 players, with a hard maximum of 6.

You'd probably need access to the new Player's Handbook, though access can be granted to the information needed to play if you don't have the book.

I'm thinking that the best place to start is either 3rd or 4th level; level 3 gets you to the first class specialization options (Fighter/Rogue Archetype, Paladin's Sacred Oath, etc.), while 4 gets you your first ability score improvement or feat, depending on your choice.

For ability scores, I'm willing to take a vote between rolling or point buy. Rolling would involve 4d6 drop the lowest for 6 ability scores (probably through Invisible Castle), arranged per player's choice, and if the first set of rolls is abysmal, you can reroll the whole set one more time and then choose between the two sets. Point Buy would probably be 30, which is higher than the published standard but doesn't allow anything to get out of hand.

Above all, try to make a character, rather than just a pile of stats. Though the idea is to test the game mechanics, particularly in a PbP setting, that really involves seeing how all aspects translate, including roleplaying, exploration, and social challenges in addition to combat. The PHB section on backgrounds actually seems like a good way to come up with an idea, even randomly-generated if you like. I'm certainly interested to see how that works out.  :D

Optional rules that are definitely in-place include feats, multiclassing, and others as I think of them. You may also suggest some if you'd like.

Starting Wealth is going to be less of a concern, but assume that you'll begin with just about all of the typical equipment that you'll need for adventuring. Official magic items for this edition haven't been published yet, though there are many offered in the playtest documents I've still got, and some can be converted from other editions fairly easily, so this won't be low-magic campaign.

Speaking of which, I haven't decided whether or not to run this in an established campaign setting or not. There's enough fluff available in the PHB to set it in any of them, and most other details can be ported over easily. Feel free to suggest one if you have a preference, otherwise I always have homebrew stuff I can work from.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 09:35:21 PM by VennDygrem »

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
Re: Interest check-in for a 5th Edition D&D game
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 09:32:51 PM »
Call me a "maybe".

I want to, for sure, but I don't actually think I have a good grasp of 5e yet, and my time is questionable.  I don't want to spread myself too thin.  That said regardless I will certainly be observing.
Mudada.

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 03:03:58 AM »
Interested as I am, I start college relatively soon (a month or so) and don't want to vanish like I did over the summer. If you're okay with that risk, I'd love to try it, though.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 03:07:39 AM »
Point buy!!!

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 03:18:58 AM »
For the record, there are some rules for things like monsters and magic items in the DM's Basic Rules

I'd personally prefer point-buy to rolling, since dice hate me, but I'd be OK either way.  Rolling seems to be the only way to start with an 18 or higher stat, which would be a huge advantage. 

How do you feel about the "unusual" races, such as gnomes, dragonborn, tieflings, half-elves, and half-orcs?  What about the Feat Human? 

As far as classes go, I'm most interested in Warlock, Bard, or Paladin, just so people know. 
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 03:43:40 AM »
I wanna play a Barbarian named Liver Eating Johnson!  :plotting

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 12:37:23 PM »
There are also a bunch of monsters and magic items in a free pdf from wotc, I think from their first published adventure.

Bhu: barbarians are rad. Go for it!

Linklord: depending on setting, some may be more or less unusual, but all of them are valid for this game. We could even adapt Aasimar by flipping some things in tiefling.

Just to specify, I think I'm going to lean toward starting at 3rd level. It's a pretty good starting point beyond first level.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 12:40:01 AM by VennDygrem »

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 06:36:59 PM »
How is multiclassing?  Can you GWAR out and be a Barbarian/Bard?

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 07:29:50 PM »
You can, but there isn't a lot of synergy in that particular combination. You can't cast spells while raging, and the Extra Attack class feature doesn't stack. Instead I'd recommend a straight College of Valor Bard, or maybe a Circle of the Moon Druid.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 12:55:34 AM »
I generally like the multiclassing, though much like in 3rd edition, some combinations lose too much and have little synergy, as linklord mentioned. His suggestions are probably pretty close to your best options. Keep in mind that you could be a Barbarian and choose Entertainer as your background, which would give you proficiency in a musical instrument and some performing fluff, and at 4th level you could take the Magic Initiate feat. Alternatively, you could be a Bard with the Hermit or Outlander background, and choose feats to boost your combat ability. We could even put together a feat to give you some limited Barbarian-style abilities, along the same lines as the other feats. However, the same caveat applies that linklord mentioned about not casting spells while raging.

As far as everyone else's concerns about time, please do note that this game probably won't move at a particularly fast rate. Hopefully I can keep it moving along pretty well, but I work full-time during the days and I'm anticipating returning to school for 1-2 classes per semester some nights starting in the fall. This will be a pretty low-key game, especially since everyone's still getting used to the rules.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 07:13:04 PM »
mebbe ill just go straight barbarian for now then, till I get the rules down

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 07:26:15 PM »
While I still am "maybe", may as well tell you I intended on either a dwarf fighter or halfling rogue, depending on what's needed most.
Mudada.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 07:37:42 PM »
I'm a masochist and am wholly willing to learn a new system for no reason other than I spend most of my time wasting time. I'll play whatever's needed; if all gaps are covered, I'll play something stupid.

If I can get at the PHB, that is.

Offline Michael Lightning

• It's the end of the world..... What's for dinner?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2014, 08:23:10 PM »
I have PHB, and I'd be up for it. What are people playing?
~And through it all, it ends with a single flash of lightning~

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2014, 01:36:53 AM »
Other than bhu, no one's really officially claimed anything.

I've seen many of the classes in play, though, and they all have very interesting and useful abilities. Don't be afraid to double up on a class, either, as most can be played quite differently depending on build.

In the game I'm running right now for my brother and some friends, the group consists of a Dragonborn Wizard/Sorcerer, a Human Monk, a Half-Elf Paladin, and a Gnome using a homebrewed Artificer class. The Dragonborn is mostly wizard, but decided to multiclass for access to some of the Sorcerer bits; the Monk took Way of the Four Elements, and does a fair job of being a Bender; and the Paladin took the Oath of the Ancients (Warden/druid-paladin) and spends all day Praising the Sun. We also had a half-elf Bard who was a buffing machine, and a halfling barbarian (did I mention it's been an Eberron campaign?), though both had to leave the campaign due to moving out of state.

I really do like the variety in options for each class. I'm probably a bit biased...

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2014, 02:25:04 AM »
I think I'll go cleric of war. I want to do 4 levels of that and then shoot down Barbarian for the rest of it. Kinda like a Cleric that went off the deep end and gave into the feeling of battle. He still worships his god, but now he gives into the feeling of anger and bloodlust that comes with a fight.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2014, 03:28:10 AM »
so what are the totems available

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2014, 08:40:34 AM »
Wolf, bear, and eagle. Bear give resistance to all but psychic damage while raging, Eagle gives enemies disadvantage for AoO and gives you a free Dash action while raging, Wolf gives allies advantage to allies against enemies within 5 feet of you while raging.

Offline caelic

• fnord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2014, 03:38:28 PM »
Heya, folks.  Checking in...didn't realize this had moved on to the planning stage yet.  Leaning towards either a CoV Bard, a Lightfoot Halfling Rogue (I want to see how the move-shoot-move-hide combo works out in practice ,) or a Circle of the Moon Druid.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 03:40:32 PM by caelic »

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2014, 09:41:45 PM »
So whats the berserker option give?