Author Topic: Interesting stuff in Pathfinder  (Read 371579 times)

Offline Halinn

• Legendary Member
  • My personal text is impersonal.
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting stuff in Pathfinder
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2012, 09:17:13 PM »
A level 12 barbarian gets a good way to move without the opponents taking their AoO's. The Come and Get Me rage power is akin to karmic strike, and quite ably dissuades opponents from attacking a barbarian.

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2012, 01:39:14 PM »
Ninjas can also go Swift-Invisible and its essentially Rogue But Better in every aspect anyway.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline Halinn

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2012, 01:55:28 PM »
Ninjas can also go Swift-Invisible and its essentially Rogue But Better in every aspect anyway.
At 10th level, they can upgrade it to swift action greater invisibility.
Better than rogue doesn't really say much, though.

Offline StreamOfTheSky

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2012, 03:33:57 PM »
Well, they can actually take a hit in melee and don't need to tumble.  But yeah, basically paizo gives a big fuck you to all non-casters.

Offline StreamOfTheSky

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2012, 03:35:32 PM »
A level 12 barbarian gets a good way to move without the opponents taking their AoO's. The Come and Get Me rage power is akin to karmic strike, and quite ably dissuades opponents from attacking a barbarian.

The trick is to combine it w/ Dazing Assault, which conveniently becomes available at the exact same level (BAB +12).  You don't get a feat at 12, but every barb ever dips oracle 1 for fatigue immunity anyway, so...it works out quite well.

Offline StreamOfTheSky

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2012, 10:36:03 PM »
So, my Alchemist is looking forward to using this trick once he has a lot of 2nd level slots for extracts (but Alchemical Allocation is level 2...man, that level is tight).  It's both grotesquely awesomely stylish, and "no save, just lose."

Touch Injection + Skinsend

Make a melee touch, and wrench your foe's skin from his body w/ no save or SR!  Whether he or you gets to control the new skin puppet, the enemy's toast.  Either the body is helpless and gets coup de grace'd, then you run away till the duration expires, or if the foe is in his body, then the skin is destroyed and he remains helpless for...weeks, it would seem.

Offline sornet

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2012, 02:53:01 AM »
So, my Alchemist is looking forward to using this trick once he has a lot of 2nd level slots for extracts (but Alchemical Allocation is level 2...man, that level is tight).  It's both grotesquely awesomely stylish, and "no save, just lose."

Make a melee touch, and wrench your foe's skin from his body w/ no save or SR!  Whether he or you gets to control the new skin puppet, the enemy's toast.  Either the body is helpless and gets coup de grace'd, then you run away till the duration expires, or if the foe is in his body, then the skin is destroyed and he remains helpless for...weeks, it would seem.

I'm missing something here... you cannot make potions from personal spells,  right?

Offline MrWolfe

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2012, 04:18:59 AM »

I'm missing something here... you cannot make potions from personal spells,  right?

True, but an Alchemist can prepare Skinsend as an extract.
A little madness goes a long way...

Offline StreamOfTheSky

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2012, 04:12:23 PM »
Yup, that's why it's an alchemist-only trick. :)

Though, iirc, an alchemist by RAW can make ANY of his extracts into a potion, so he could always just make some potions for the party wizard to use the trick, too....

Offline MrWolfe

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2012, 04:34:51 PM »
That's still a seriously messed-up trick. When I first came across the Skinsend spell my first thought was: "Why would anybody voluntarily use this spell? I can see it working as an attack but..."

Offline StreamOfTheSky

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2012, 04:46:55 PM »
Yeah, skinsend sucks (in its intended use).  In my witch handbook, I basically said its only conceivably purpose was to send someone a really disturbing singing telegram.

Offline Cannotthink

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2012, 12:05:00 PM »
Racial Heritage+Fast Learner [advanced race guide]

Get two alternate favored class bonuses at once.

Offline StreamOfTheSky

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2012, 05:23:54 PM »
Racial Heritage+Fast Learner [advanced race guide]

Get two alternate favored class bonuses at once.

Or, instead of spending two feats for that, you could spend a feat on Additional Traits and make one of your two selections be Finding Haleen.  Which, though I think by quite obvious RAI was meant to be "get +1 hp and +1 skill point instead of one or the other as your favored class bonus" by strict RAW actually seems to read "get +1 hp and +1 skill point on top of your favored class bonus." :D

"Benefit This class is always a favored class to you, and your dedication to it is such that every time you take a level in the class, you gain +1 hit point and 1 additional skill point over and above what you would normally gain."

Offline Halinn

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2012, 05:27:20 PM »
But Finding Haleen is a campaign trait from Legacy of Fire. A GM might very reasonably rule that it couldn't be taken.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2012, 05:31:26 PM »
Can you use that first thing (Racial Heritage + Fast Learner) to get the optional racial favored class benefits (+1 Sorc spell, +1/5 Rogue Talent, etc.) of two races at once?

Offline MrWolfe

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2012, 05:46:58 PM »
Can you use that first thing (Racial Heritage + Fast Learner) to get the optional racial favored class benefits (+1 Sorc spell, +1/5 Rogue Talent, etc.) of two races at once?

I think that's what the OP was suggesting, otherwise you wouldn't need the Racial Heritage feat. Apparently there's some debate as to whether this will work though. The wording seems to imply that if you pick the alternate class award you only get one.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 10:41:47 PM by MrWolfe »

Offline Cannotthink

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2012, 09:54:49 PM »

That is the intent of the combo: stick with one class and get two different racial favored class benefits. Or in some cases, the exact same benefit twice (Half-Elf Oracle and Human Oracle both get +1 spell known per level, go go spontaneous casting).

Offline Halinn

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2012, 06:44:21 PM »
For halv-elves, the Wild Caller summoner archetype, means that you get tons of extra evolution points, and access to summon nature's ally instead of summon monster.
Orcs get the Scarred Witch Doctor witch archetype, which means they'll be almost completely single-statted for constitution
And here are the Advanced Race Guide rules for creating new races. If your GM allows it, you can make some quite powerful races.

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2012, 06:59:36 PM »
Wishcrafter sorcerer is interesting. It's not a bloodline, so you can still choose Elemental (fire) and gain the racial benefits thereof, but you replace the spells of that bloodline with whatever you want. Crossblooded could let you take things even further (albeit, it's beneficial to any ifrit/sylph/oread/undine sorcerer).
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 07:01:15 PM by Prime32 »

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2012, 09:27:11 AM »
Equipment Trick with a sunrod can give you a 1 level heightening of a Light spell. Hello early entry. Since you treat the sunrod as a material component, does that mean you can draw it as a free action from a spell component pouch?