Poll

Does this combination of Limited Wish, Bend Reality, Wish, Reality Revision look good?

Yup. I think I'll use this in my games...
4 (66.7%)
No, its too powerful. (Post what it needs added)
0 (0%)
No, its too weak. (Post what it needs removed)
1 (16.7%)
None of the above. Have you tried ... ? (Please post)
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Wish Conglomeration  (Read 3769 times)

Offline PlzBreakMyCampaign

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
    • View Profile
Wish Conglomeration
« on: September 24, 2013, 12:54:19 AM »
Assume a campaign that doesn't run long enough to see 9th level spells / powers, or simply has them all unusable. So no Pazuzu, candle of invocation, wish intention-warping, wish economy headaches, deck of many things problems or other general mayhem. Consider the below in lieu of the usual two spells and two powers. Ahem:

Quote from: Limited Reality
Universal
Level:   Sor/Wiz 7, Cler 7
Components:   V, S, XP, M
Casting Time:   1 standard action
Range:   Long
Target, Effect, or Area:   See text
Duration:   Instantaneous; See text
Saving Throw:   None; see text
Spell Resistance:   Yes

Limited Reality lets you do any one of the following things:
  • Grant a creature a +1 inherent bonus to an ability score. Two to five Limited Reality spells cast in immediate succession can grant a creature a +2 to +5 inherent bonus to an ability score. These bonuses are instantaneous, so they cannot be dispelled. An inherent bonus cannot exceed +5 for a single ability score. Inherent bonuses to a particular ability score do not stack; only the best one applies.
  • Undo the non-damage harmful effects of many afflictions and spells lower than eighth level, such as this spell, dominate person, geas/quest or insanity. This spell undoes effects that specify a wish spell successfully overcoming the effect. A single casting can aid one creature per caster level, and all subjects are cured of the same kind of affliction. For example, you could remove all poison effects from everyone in the party, but not do that and undo insanity with the same casting. Limited Reality can never restore experience level or loss or Constitution loss from being raised from the dead.
  • Bring a dead creature back to life by duplicating a resurrection spell, including material component costs, if cast twice. Limited Reality can revive a dead creature whose body has been destroyed, but the task takes three castings, one to recreate the body and another two to infuse the body with life again.
  • Lift one creature per caster level from anywhere on any plane and place those creatures on the first layer of any desired plane regardless of its local conditions. An unwilling target may be lifted only to a similarly hospitable place on a another plane. For instance, an aquatic creature that does not breathe air cannot be transported onto a normal place on the elemental plane of air because it will choke and a creature without a fly speed cannot be transported miles into the air because it will fall. An unwilling target gets a Will save to negate the effect, and spell resistance (if any) applies. You appear near the desired point based off having previously visited the plane or the coterminous host plane in the case of demiplanes. If you have never visited, you appear 5 miles in a random 3-dimensional direction. If you have visited for atleast an hour, you appear 1320' away in a 2 dimensional direction within 5' of a specified altitude. If you have visited the location or within 500 miles on the host plane in the case of a demiplane, you appear 65' away along one specified dimension or 30' for a demiplane. If none of those three options are possible, the spell fails.
  • Force a reroll of any roll made within the last round (including your last turn). Reality reshapes itself to accommodate the new result. The reroll, however, may be as bad as or worse than the original roll. An unwilling target gets a Will save to negate the effect, and spell resistance (if any) applies.
  • Make a single creature take a -6 penalty on one ability score (minimum 1) or its next saving throw, attack roll, ability check, or skill check. The target does not get a save to negate the effect, although spell resistance (if any) applies.
300 XP

Quote from: Limited Reality, Psionic
Clairsentience
Psion/wilder 7
Display:   Visual
Range:   Long
Target, Effect, or Area:   See text
Duration:   Instantaneous; See text
Saving Throw:   None; see text
Power Resistance:   Yes
Power Points:   15, XP, M

As the Limited Reality spell, except as noted here.

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
Re: Wish Conglomeration
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 06:33:21 PM »
I like them a lot; I'd use them, if our group didn't have a longstanding Gentlemen's Agreement to not abuse Wish, in return for being able to use it whenever we need.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 07:03:12 PM »
Any reason for the removal of the emulate other spells/powers option? Although without it, you can remove the "See text" from the range and components lines.

Why does the resurrection option bring the character back to life twice and what does that actually mean? Is bringing someone back to life twice functionally different from bringing them back once?

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 11:32:08 PM »
I think it means that it costs twice as much as Resurrection.

I like 'em, though you do need a provision so that you can use it to keep Big T dead.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 01:22:39 AM »
Any reason for the removal of the emulate other spells/powers option? Although without it, you can remove the "See text" from the range and components lines.
Good catch. Updated.

@Tarrasque the above is supposed to replace wish and limited wish and the psionic versions, so anything that requires one of those instead works with the above. Its a bit meta-game, so it would be sloppy to put in the spell description, I think.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 12:29:41 PM »
My only quibble is that I'm not sure it would be worth the expenditure of a 7th Level spell for one autohit. 

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 03:06:23 PM »
I know you were saying it wasn't worth it, but because it would stack with magical effects the way a certain other spell wouldn't, I've removed that line. Instead I added other bestow curse-like effects.

I also removed the Save or Die aspect of the teleportation and put in the wish-like language that I was assuming from a metagame standpoint.

The teleportation also has average, dimensionally shrinking, error factors accounted for. The maths:
(click to show/hide)