Author Topic: Discussion about board migration  (Read 18294 times)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion about board migration
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2017, 08:33:17 PM »
Honestly I didn't even know we had an IRC.

And yes, I know it's not a good reason for appointing a moderator, but it amuses the fuck out of me to imagine. It would certainly let new members know what to expect, that we found the most aggressive flamer we could and made him a Mod.

We don't, i was talking in general, lol

But maybe it's a good idea, to coordinate the server moving? Instantaneous communication might be a good idea.

Yes we do have an IRC.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2017, 08:35:20 PM »
Wow, i never knew about it, six years, and i didn't knew about it. Lurk moar?
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2017, 08:35:50 PM »
Wow, i never knew about it, six years, and i didn't knew about it. Lurk moar?

If it helps I forget about it for years until someone reminds me.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2017, 09:21:24 PM »
Posting mostly for following purposes.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2017, 10:41:28 PM »
Am I the only one who enjoys being a moderator?  :P
Nan pretty much makes the point. It's not that the job is great (most of it is mundane stuff like wiping bots or moving threads per requests) and it's not like it's some kind relevant symbol of status, but you know things are being done right.

Of course as I mentioned in the other thread, everyone has a perception of what's right. ;)

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2017, 12:34:55 AM »
Am I the only one who enjoys being a moderator?  :P

@soro
I dunno, I've been an admin for both vb and SMF forums and they're really different behind the scenes in my opinion. I couldn't find my way thru SMF as smoothly as vb

2 out of three forums were pretty good.  The sasquatch one went south because the members have spent their whole lives being told by outsiders they're either full of shit or crazy.  So when an insider does it, it gets personal.

Seriously I almost got subpoenaed to testify in several trials and hadda hand over info to the cops when members started suing each other over threats, harassment, fraud, false arrest, vandalism, etc., etc.   every other board I've loved being a mod, but there's always gotta be that one...

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2017, 06:55:37 AM »
If I wasn't on sporadically, I would totally volunteer to mod. But... life craziness gets in the way. Blargh.

I have lots of computer experience but nothing that would be useful in this case. (Unless we're migrating the site literally onto a space telescope.)

(That actually sounds fun, LETS DO EET.)
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2017, 11:55:46 AM »
I don't see a point in having the site hosted on a space telescope unless we're teaching aliens to play D&D.  :P

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2017, 01:00:08 PM »
That sounds fun, just be careful of the Futurama deal. A thousand years from now we may receive a complaint over releasing 4th :p

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2017, 05:03:25 PM »

... we Are teaching aliens to play D&D.  :P

My kitty avatar says what?
My kitty avatar's Tail  says what?
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2017, 10:16:40 PM »
Strat and Robby have both expressed interest/willingness to host the site.
Wait, I don't remember actually doing that. I am willing to help mod, if needed, but I don't think I have the time or expertise to actually host the site.

I am NOT willing to host, however I am 100% willing to be tech support for the site.  I'm in IT and have done website support and coding if anyone wants a basic explanation of my credentials.  If nobody needs me to support this site that's fine too.
I write software for a living. I've never worked with forum software for a living, but I've done a lot with .net and SQL. I might be available to bounce ideas off of.
My creations

Please direct moderation-related PMs to Forum Staff.

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2017, 01:52:36 AM »
Strat and Robby have both expressed interest/willingness to host the site.
Wait, I don't remember actually doing that. I am willing to help mod, if needed, but I don't think I have the time or expertise to actually host the site.

I am NOT willing to host, however I am 100% willing to be tech support for the site.  I'm in IT and have done website support and coding if anyone wants a basic explanation of my credentials.  If nobody needs me to support this site that's fine too.
I write software for a living. I've never worked with forum software for a living, but I've done a lot with .net and SQL. I might be available to bounce ideas off of.
Close enough. Forum software is very close to idiotproof, the problem is synching everyone across something like 5-6 timezones and life schedules.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
  • Trapped on another Earth that isn't home
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2017, 09:09:13 AM »
Being a mod isn't as fun as it seems.  I've been one on three different forums, and settling threads that go sideways is no fun.

My problem was having to clear everything with the folks above me along with documenting everything while I was a mod over at No goblins allowed became more of a job than something to kill time with and I didn't like the direction the forum was going.

Offline PlzBreakMyCampaign

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2017, 06:20:37 PM »
Honestly I do not blame meg in the slightest for saying "NOPE. I'm done!". Stalking is back mmkay? Anyways, my only helpful thing to add is that there are ways to obfuscate/hide hosting information to help make the transfer A) extremely direct while B) exposing none of the kind of information she might not want disclosed to a possibly untrustworthy source.

I'm no expert on these things, but they exist and I'd be happy to help if I knew what kind of data (but not the data itself) was likely to be exposed in exactly what ways (ie, how might it be discovered: "just clicking on x shows y information)...

Oddly Bigfoot forums seem to be the worst.  One person says something normally unprovocative, and then it's death threats, death threats for everyone...
Lol the fact that this doesn't happen here is the reason I stay. Having one almost humorously caustic guy is fine but mods who are heavy-handed are almost as bad as those kind of posters.

Also, bhu u should post 4 more times and then just wait until the migration. You're so close to 13337

PS. I upvoted one of meg's recent posts...

Offline altpersona

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • You are here
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2017, 01:45:47 PM »
so, assuming we have hosting covered...

we need to work on migration.

i assume that this forum is a separate entity entirely from the other sites currently hosted with it.

so, if that is the case, then migration should be a copy paste event. lock down new posts and account creation for the duration of the paste and we take back off like nothing ever happened.

it might take a bit longer if (and i assume we are) going to move the domain. unless its just adjusting a pointer then that wont take any time at all.

The goal of power is power. - 1984
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow
The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga still sux.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2017, 01:55:11 PM »
so, assuming we have hosting covered...

we need to work on migration.

i assume that this forum is a separate entity entirely from the other sites currently hosted with it.

so, if that is the case, then migration should be a copy paste event. lock down new posts and account creation for the duration of the paste and we take back off like nothing ever happened.

it might take a bit longer if (and i assume we are) going to move the domain. unless its just adjusting a pointer then that wont take any time at all.

Unless things have changed migration is going to be done by moving the databases over to the new host, but there isn't a timeline on that yet unless I'm really out of the loop.

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2017, 02:34:40 PM »
Update since people have begun wondering:

Stratovarius will be our new gracious overlord. We've worked out a plan of action, in the next few days I'll find the time to type it up and formally send it to Meg. Then we'll hash out the details and a timeline for everything. There's no ETA yet, and there won't be until the plan is essentially finalized and ready to go. At that point, we'll post a big announcement and give everyone forewarning and a rundown of how exactly it all will go down.
Please send private messages regarding board matters to Forum Staff instead.

Offline BG_Meg

• BGalicious
  • Retired Admin
  • Keepin' bitches in line since 2009
    • View Profile
    • Games by Play Date
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2017, 03:01:50 PM »
Now this is some serious (awesome) planning :)
I NEED YOUR HELP!

Back my game, please! And then tell 10 other people to back it. Finishes September 3rd!

PACK the PACK Kickstarter is LIVE!

Wanna chat? www.twitter.com/bg_meg

Offline altpersona

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • You are here
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2017, 12:05:57 PM »
Progress report?
The goal of power is power. - 1984
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow
The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga still sux.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2017, 12:55:12 PM »
Progress report?
Chat hasn't had too much chatter, last week or two Prime was working on Strat's server to install a bunch of mods that these boards use. Which are more than you'd expect, custom tags for tables & spoilers aside, we have stuff the up vote karma system and couple moderator tools like how you can PM the Staff Account and so on.

I'm not a 100% sure if he got it all debugged out and working, he could have just gotten busy in real. But at least I can say, based on what I know, we're up to the point where the team behind things has a plan, a box, and have put real effort into creating a working model which into it's self means the lead tech and host have been working together.

As I have mentioned before, there isn't a pressing need to get things done within a limited time frame so they are working on things at their own pace as life issues it's distractions. It'll just take some time.