Author Topic: High-End OOC thread II-Party still splitting  (Read 200166 times)

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
Re: High-End OOC thread II-Party still splitting
« Reply #920 on: March 16, 2016, 03:37:57 PM »
No, it's a fraternity brother of English. They both got together and wrote their respective dictionaries while high on weed & LSD then they started a friendly rivalry where each one tries to become more complicated than the other leading to things like regional dialects and idioms.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: March 16, 2016, 03:47:01 PM »
No, it's a fraternity brother of English. They both got together and wrote their respective dictionaries while high on weed & LSD then they started a friendly rivalry where each one tries to become more complicated than the other leading to things like regional dialects and idioms.

I still think Portuguese has it beat when it comes to verbs and graphic accents. =P
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: March 16, 2016, 04:24:44 PM »
I still think Portuguese has it beat when it comes to verbs and graphic accents. =P
For all I know, maybe. I suppose on the upside at least English/Portuguese don't use Kanji which pretty much invented a new symbol for an existing word pretty much every single time a new monastery opened.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #923 on: March 16, 2016, 08:29:28 PM »
Portuguese has no less than twenty-four versions of each verb depending on who it is adressing (6 variants) and the time (4 variants). TWENTY FOUR DIFFERENT VERSIONS! Half our language classes were spent learning that shit.

Tyrant magic only works on classes, not prestige classes.
You should append it to saying "base class" instead of "class" so it's a little more clear, and I never found anything addressing Beholder Mage beyond Nanshork's comments which is what drew me to the text. Even looking back at it now knowing you prefer to call it "Tyrant Mage" the thread is utterly devoid of any discussion on it.
That is already clarified in the FAQ thread.

And it's the same with Sharn's MT stacking. It can keep advancing at double rate counting its Sharn casting for both divine and arcane advancement really only builds one idea. Just copy the typical innate spellcasting entry twice, one for Sorcerer and the other for Favored Soul, which is what the Sharn get to begin with, and things will be a hair less confusing on the reader's end.
Anything that involves favored soul will only complicate things more.

If anybody else had been confused about the current version, I think they would've pointed it out for the 5 years the class has been up.

And I made a Succubus anyway using one of the 2nd level followers. Yeahee implied perversion!
That reminds me, lucid dreaming is banned.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 06:24:44 AM by oslecamo »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: March 16, 2016, 08:49:07 PM »
English: simple verbs, but way too many fucking accents.

Apparently England itself has as many as the USA. @_@

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #925 on: March 17, 2016, 06:35:10 AM »
You know that in portuguese, we need to actually write the accents, right?

à é í õ û.

Those are the five basic accents. Another good part of my portuguese languages was remembering what words used those and how many in each case. At least the ~ can only go in either a ã or õ. Because reasons.

And then we have the ç thingy. Doesn't have any special sound, it's actually exactly the same sound as the "s" at the start of special and sound actually. But fuck us, we have to learn how to write that. Portuguese keyboards have a button wasted just for ç!

On the other hand I never understood why english has "y" when it's the same sound as i. There's no y in basic portuguese (nor w), but we've started stealing mugging importing both quite a bit, so portuguese keyboards do include it.

Heck, Mc Donalds and Burger King don't even bother trying to translate their stuff in Portugal. They don't put "Hambúrguer rei" ou "Grande Galinha" on the menus, they know how much we hate out own language.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: March 17, 2016, 09:44:42 AM »
Same here. We get the stuffed untranslated too.

I suppose at least we're not as fucked as the Finnish. I mean, they have like 16 vowels.
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: March 17, 2016, 10:24:38 AM »
By accents, I don't mean the accents over the letters. I think the only place they show up in English are French words. I meant how people speak. There's a lot of regional ones. Given the size of the UK, this is a bit crazy.

Y as a vowel? It's a mystery, though sometimes it's E not I, and in mystery itself it's both. And it's a consonant (AKA, how J was pronounced in classical Latin).
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 12:10:07 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: March 17, 2016, 11:32:30 AM »
Bitching our languages are we? Sound.
I live in a part of Quebec, Canada, where about half the population speaks English and the other speaks French. So I get to speak both about as much but at least we can speak English at work, mostly.
French is pretty fun. These are the accents that we use most: éèàù.  ê,ë, ç and a few weird ones for about every vowels not being as common (ç being frequently used mostly for Ça, which is one of the words for "that"). Tricky part is, Canadian French and actual French are very different entities.
Put the two together and they will have some trouble understanding each-other due to the both languages having its own very wide set of expressions and slangs... and words.
We lots of verb tenses (some of which we rarely ever use) and so many weird grammar rules, almost all of them having a string of exceptions. I always write in English if I can help it.
Not the most striking example, but take the word Rubber. In French, it is Caoutchouc. You pronounce it "kawchu". Yeah.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 11:37:10 AM by Anomander »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: March 17, 2016, 12:11:11 PM »
French: too many silent letters. :p

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #930 on: March 17, 2016, 01:00:10 PM »
You know that in portuguese, we need to actually write the accents, right?
à é í õ û.
And in English we never note when a vowel, or even a series of constants (ph is an f?), change what they sound like. We handle it all blindly and never succeed as a result. Like tier and tear sound alike but not tear and tear evne through you just read them both as the same word.  ;)

That is already clarified in the FAQ thread. ... I think they would've pointed it out for the 5 years the class has been up.
Maybe no one has used it in five years because by nature of being worth +5 LA people consider them inherently broken and they all read the double casting the same as I did and figured you would just trying to them them justice.  :)

Really through, I don't feel the FAQ doesn't cover anything about this. It covers expected Slots if you dip into Cleric/Druid/Sorcerer/Wizard which can only be extrapolated by example on how it'd work with Beholder Mage or even simple the Bard. The section before the table might be what you mean
I want to play a spellcaster monster!
Monsters that cast as "class X" like the dragon and Rakshasa will stack their spellcasting with the respective classes.

Other monsters like the mind flayer don't actualy cast as "class X", but if they multiclass to certain caster classes they gain powerful bonus. Notice however this only works towards actual base classes that grant spellcasting, not prestige classes that grant spellcasting out of nowhere like ur-priest and chamaleon.
But Psionics aside, your Mindflayer & Ulitharid are SLA based and neither of them grant any direct benefit for multiclassing, what they get that would be stacking would be the combo of eating a brain and gaining a bonus to their Spell DCs, which your FAQ nerfs to apparently base-class only. So that sentence more or less equals a massive broad spectrum ban of being able to use any of any none-caster monster ability with any PrC. Like a Gloom wanting to enter Assassin is basically fml'ed thanks to the incompatibility the FAQ created.

But the Rakshasa is exempt from this because it does cast as Class X well the Beholder is Su based not pseudo-caster SLAs like the Mindflayer and does explicitly stack with Class X like the Rakshasa. I'm not really trying to be argumentative here, which would be pretty pointless if I were thanks to dual editor/DM power there, but are you picking up what I'm laying down? I went there because the text goes there and the text really doesn't refute it. The easy out is to explain it, not necessarily invoke more that need explanations attached unless you're seeking for some feed back on that. And I'll try when I get around to it but I am slow.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 01:50:10 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: March 17, 2016, 03:07:08 PM »
Don't forget W is also a vowel sometimes too ;)

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: March 17, 2016, 04:49:18 PM »
Quote from: RD
French: too many silent letters. :p
That, and EVERY noun has a gender.
You'd think a boat would use the female gender but it doesn't while some kinds of small boats do use the female gender.
Un (a /male) bateau (boat).
Un (a /male) navire (vessel).
Un (a /male) vaisseau (ship).
Une (a /female) chaloupe (small boat)
Une (a /female) barque (small boat)
Which can feel weird since captains would still refer to the ship as a female entity even though every noun used to refer to the ship itself uses a male gender.

Gender in French seems to be determined by whatever those in charge felt would sound best.
Portuguese probably suffers from the same "enrichment" of the language.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 04:51:29 PM by Anomander »

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: March 18, 2016, 03:06:59 PM »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 05:50:10 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: March 25, 2016, 01:46:08 PM »
To be fair Anomander, I actually forgot what an Esper was :p

And she really used her boots for something? Man you have the memory I need, I was even poking through the posts last night for useful information and still missed it.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: March 26, 2016, 01:59:37 AM »
The sad part is that as soon as I read "anti-Easter bot" I could immediately foresee the shitstorm ahead.
It was decided back then that Mao would have to confront him since it felt too much like an attempt to sabotage the operation. Then it got more and more suspicious. She was already on detective-mode with the whole AA spy thing and before the operation was suspicious even of Maia. Still is a little though the odds are low but stable.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: March 26, 2016, 02:52:41 AM »
Gosh. Who ever wins, at least remember to keep the loot of the other and not eat it :P

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: March 26, 2016, 11:41:46 AM »
The sad part is that as soon as I read "anti-Easter bot" I could immediately foresee the shitstorm ahead.
It was decided back then that Mao would have to confront him since it felt too much like an attempt to sabotage the operation.
Eh you've got you're wires cross a hair. On my end you've been purposely shoving metagame knowledge to grief the hell out of me for no reason.

I mean if loot was a big deal you could have gone to the DM and idk half her magical gear as at home and it was searched by the legal people before Baldy got there? The boots were one time use and useless now depriving Baha of an item that I'm still not sure what you're talking about (she never used her boots?). Who knows *shrugs*. You could have came to me too really since I really could care less about the loot and have already offered to split it. And even if you don't want to believe that, like it or not but Baha owns one Ols-created item and hasn't even spent all of her WBL for 13 to even look ahead to the 14th, my item optimization is pretty slacking on him. Hell I even pulled a shenanigan in game just to copy an item for a favor of the Helsiana family and I'm supposed to be selling it off (probably to a character named Anna). In any case, I believe from a neutral stand point you're certainly creating the problem here.

But you really should remember I really haven't watched the super bot series and "Phantasy Star" to me is a video game full of half naked lolis. "Esper" is next to a meaningless term for me. Like Ol's intro says magic is rare but you guys have created some of the most OP magic spamming homebrew I've ever seen and it's a gestated game that allows you to pick up Arcane Pilot on top of that. And apparently Dimensional Lock, an 8th level Spell, is reduced to the rarity of a ship wide button buff according to you. Esper is just forgotten and meaningless background fluff. Coincidentally, I'm banking on everyone else's interest to let me know when Ols is ripping of it's storyline so I know when to complicate matters. And judging from you're response, I must have derailed one of the most important stories to you or maybe she's packing some kind of MacGruffian Artifact and you don't want to risk me being in charge of splitting up the loot rather than you.

And unfortunately for you, we both know I'm an escalator on the forums so I'm not going to be the one that reaches out for an agreement unless I feel Ols is getting sick of things. You've pinged my interest in things and the harder you metagame crap in the more and more fascinating things become. What could be so massive important for the dickery? Who knows, let's find out!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 11:43:53 AM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: March 26, 2016, 12:41:32 PM »
What the hell is actually going on. O_o

Something involving some esper who got killed and then... walls of text?

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: March 26, 2016, 12:50:51 PM »
Something involving some esper who got killed and then... walls of text?
In a tl;dr.

Mission to a planet to steal a rock for plot reasons.
Tangent to question a spellcaster about said rock because these people can cast 8th level Spells but not Detect Magic (not even joking here).
She escaped, DM had to step in using bots that single handedly won the entire Encounter off screen because the show must go on.
I cursed the hell out of her and got some info to advance the plot.
Anomander really wants some loot for the DM-won Encounter.

It just so happens how I got the info involved Baha kidnapping her instead of Mao so I'm sinking the blame for things. And to add insult to injury, Mao/Anomander was the one that planned the entire ambush using DM provided resources and he ended up being the one trapped in a cage. But on the plus side, I might land my very own like 12th level contact who owes Baha her life. :)

Which in reflection also means I managed to get something out of the Encounter and Mao/Anodmander won't unless he gets loot. Maybe that's why he's pushing so hard.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 01:13:27 PM by SorO_Lost »