Author Topic: Lovecraftian Whackadoos  (Read 12789 times)

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
Lovecraftian Whackadoos
« on: November 11, 2011, 03:18:40 AM »
Critters from or inspired by the Mythos

Aberrations
Amanga Impisi (Page 1)
Byakhee (Page 2)
Dark One (Page 2)
Demon of the Seas (Page 1)
Dwellers in the Depths (Page 2)
The Fly People (Page 1)
Ghost Squid (Page 1)
Ghost Squidling Swarm (Page 1)
Ghoul (Page 1)
Nightgaunt (Page 2)
Vampire Squid (Page 1)

Magical Beasts
Face Eater (Page 1)
Spectral Ape (Page 1)
Spectral Dire Ape (Page 1)

Monstrous Humanoids
Deep One (Page 1)

Oozes
Jungle Ghost (Page 1)
Jungle Ghost Mob (Page 1)

Outsiders
Brood of Eihort (Page 2)
Brood Swarm (Page 2)
The Dark Demon (Page 2)
The Darkness of Old Night (Page 1)
Elder Terror (Page 1)
False God (Page 1)
The Mother of Teeth (Page 1)
The Singers from Outside (Page 2)

Vermin
Scorpionfly Swarm (Page 1)

Templates
Bargainer (Page 2)
Child of Shub-Niggurath (Page 2)
The Corrupt (Page 1)
Crawling One (Page 2)
Dark One Host (Page 2)
Deep One Hybrid (Page 2)
The Marked (Page 1)
Spawn of Abhoth (Page 2)
Thrall of Cthulhu (Page 2)

Races
Deep One (Page 1)
Ghoul (Page 1)
Tcho-Tcho (Page 2)

Class List
Deep One (Page 2)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 06:53:59 PM by bhu »

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
Re: Lovecraftian Whackadoos
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 03:24:18 AM »
The Ghost Squid
Huge Aberration (Incorporeal, Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 15d8 + 75 (142 hp)
Initiative: +3 (-1)
Speed: 80 ft. flight( 16 squares, perfect)
Armor Class: 26 ( -2 Size, +3 Dex, +15 Deflection) touch 26,
flat-footed 23
Base Attack/Grapple: +11/+31
Attack: Tentacle + 12 melee touch attack(1 point of Wisdom damage)
Full Attack: 10 Tentacles + 12 melee touch attack (1 point of Wisdom
damage) and 1 Bite +7 melee touch attack ( 1d3 Wisdom
damage)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft.(30 ft. with tentacles)
Special Attacks: Horrifying Appearance, Rend Soul, Improved Grab,
Constrict (1d3 Wisdom Damage)
Special Qualities: Dimensional Sense 120', Improved Incorporeality,
Invisibility, Partial Invulnerability, Vulnerabilities,
Confusion, Pan-Dimensional, Flight
Saves: Fort +10, Ref +10, Will +11
Abilities: Str 0 (26), Dex 17 (8), Con 20, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 16
Skills: Knowledge (Arcana, Religion, The Planes, Things Man Was Not
Meant to Know) +10, Listen +9, Move Silently +11, Spot +9
Feats: Flyby Attack, Great Flyby Attack, Improved Flyby Attack,
Dodge, Mobility, Lightning Reflexes*
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary or School (3 - 20)
Challenge Rating: 15
Treasure: None
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Advancement: 16 to 30 HD (Huge), 31 to 45 HD (Gargantuan), 46 to
60 HD (Colossal)
Level Adjustment: ----

* See Savage Species for some Feats

"We were camping at the North Ridge Mountains en route to the city. Everything seemed fine on my watch, until about 3 hours in when I had this feeling I was being watched. From all around me. I stood up but didnt see anything. I went to awaken the Mage, and that's when they appeared. Things..they..some looked like the squid and octopi we used to fish out of the seas for cooking. Some just barely resembled them. They swam in the air in and out of view constantly moving....parts of them just kept disappearing. I didn't hear anything but I could swear they were saying something. They were the most terrifying thing I've ever seen. Dozens of them like ghosts moving through the trees, us, each other..I couldn't move I was so scared. After a while the paralysis wore off and I was able to move when they were gone. And I turned to the mage again just in time to watch one of them pull his soul from his body...I don't remember much after that. I woke up in town the next day and I'm told I've been a raving madman ever since. After the priests spells I'm feeling a little better. So I guess..I guess I can ask if anyone else made it.."

Ghost Squid are called that because no one has thought of a better name, and no one seems to know their real one. They appear similar to earthly cephalopods sometimes with as many as no or a thousand eyes, and as many as 6 to a hundred tentacles or more. The tentacles can be barbed, rasped, suckered, etc.. The mouth may be a beak, a lamprey like sucker, or full of sharks teeth. They simultaneously exist in several different dimensions at once, and bits and pieces of them seem to swim in and out of view. For the most part they are invisible unless something in a particular dimension warrants their attention and only then are they visible at all. Because their attention is spread so thin, their behavior seems to be random as they may be reacting to something somewhere or somewhen else. Some things focus their attention though, and that attention is always murderous. Anything that mucks about with space or time for example, such as spells like Teleport or Time Stop. Most are inveterate wanderers, and it is assumed they're looking for something but no one as yet knows what. The Illithids and Aboleth have encountered them, and know some of their secrets if anyone dares ask them. Otherwise it would be necessary to go to the Far Realms. Ghost Squid have never been known to speak or communicate with any being, nor have they ever shown that they understood communication attempts.

Horrifying Appearance (Ex): Ghost Squid generate a feeling of wrongness around them. People claim they can hear voices, but there is no sound. They know they are being watched, but there is no watcher. Anyone within 30' of an Invisible Ghost Squid must make a Will Save (DC=10 + half Ghost Squids Hit Dice+Cha modifier, in this case DC 20) or be Shaken until the Squid is no longer in range. Anyone able to see a Squid because it has dropped its invisibility must make a Will Save (Same DC), or be Paralyzed for 1d6 rounds. Anyone making the Save is immune to that Ghost Squids Horrifying Appearance for 24 hours. Anyone witnessing a swarm of Ghost Squid must also make a Will Save (Same DC) or contract some form of insanity (DM's discretion on this one, I haven't made up rules for it yet). This insanity can be cured by Remove Curse. If an opponent uses True Sight or a similar ability, or Detect Thoughts or an ability that allows it to see into the Ghost Squids mind, he must make a Will Save (DC = 20, Save is Cha based) or be affected as if by a Feeblemind spell (effective caster level equal to Ghost Squids Hit Dice)

Improved Grab (Ex): If the Ghost Squid hits with 3 or more Tentacle attacks on one opponent it may initiate a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. It may grapple a target of any size. Normally Incorporeal creatures may not grapple. However the Ghost Squid is not grappling the physical character, but his soul instead. Both the squid and the PC roll 1d20 + their Cha bonus. If the victim wins the Ghost Squids tentacles have found no purchase. This ability does not work on soulless beings such as some corporeal animated undead and some constructs. It does still effect purely magical beings such as Outsiders and Elementals. If the grapple is successful the Ghost Squid establishes a hold and may constrict. Ghost Squid have a +4 Racial Bonus to Grapple checks, including incorporeal grappling.

Constrict (Ex): The Ghost Squid does 1d3 temporary Wisdom damage.

Rend Soul (Su): At the beginning of any round in which the Ghost Squid has an opponent Constricted, and at 0 Wisdom, it may automatically pull out his soul and rip it to pieces. The victim may not be Raised or Resurrected. Optionally they may only be Raised or Resurrected after the Miracle or Wish spell has been used to restore their soul. Some Squid eat the souls of their opponents, and if they are Raised or Ressurected they may have acquired the Pseudonatural or Half-Farspawn Template.

Pan-Dimensional (Su): Ghost Squid exist simultaneously on the same point in multiple planes. Should someone cast spells or use abilities similar to Etheral Jaunt or Astral Projection to escape to another plane they have a 50% chance that the Ghost Squid is already there waiting for them. If not there is a 50% chance it will arrive within 1d6 rounds.

Dimensional Sense (Ex): The Ghost Squid has a sort of 3 dimensional spatial sense that allows it to 'see' everything within 120'. This includes invisible creatures, and even ones behind walls if they are within range. This effectively means that anything within 120 feet has no concealment , and automatically fails all Hide rolls. The Ghost Squid cannot be flanked.

Invisibility (Su): The Ghost Squid can become Invisible at will as per the spell. Truthfully invisibility is their natural state, and they only become even partially visible when attacking.

Partial Invulnerability (Ex): The Ghost Squid is Immune to the following: Critical hits, ability drain or damage, energy drain, mind affecting effects, non lethal damage, poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, posion, paralysis, polymorph, death effects, energy drain, disease, and fatigue/exhaustion. It does not breathe, eat or sleep. There are some exceptions to these rules spelled out below.

Improved Incorporeality (Ex): Unlike normal Incorporeal beings, Force effects and positive/negative energy still have the standard 50% miss chance when targeting the Ghost Squid, and it can pass through Forcewalls. They may also pass through other Incorporeal beings and even one another.

Confusion (Ex): Because of their Pan-Dimensional nature Ghost Squid seem to always be distracted or performing random actions, or simply acting in ways not understood by others. It effectively permanently suffers from the Confusion spell, unless something narrows its attention. Things that would narrow its attention would be spells or effects that effect space/time (Time Stop, Ethereal Jaunt, Plane shift, Gate, Summoning, etc.), powerful items that can alter reality (most artifacts, Spheres of Annihilation), being attacked effectively, or beings of great power (exceptionally powerful Oustiders mostly). If such a thing is within the Squids Dimensional Sense Range, the Squid gets a Willpower Save (DC 20) to shrug off the Confusion effect until the end of the encounter.

Vulnerabilities (Ex): Ghost Squid are vulnerable to specific spells, and other powers or abilities that mimic their effects. Spells or effects that would send an Extraplanar creature back to its home plane (Banishment, Dismissal, Holy Word, etc.) cause it to flee from the caster at full speed for 1d6 minutes instead. If a Ghost Squid is summoned via Greater Planar Binding it remains present after the spell ends. Targeting a Ghost Squid with Plane Shift Stuns it for 1d6 rounds. Ghost Squids will not enter Antimagic Fields. If a Ghost Squid enters a Gate it teleports 1d00 miles in a random direction. Temporal Stasis and Time Stop do not effect the Ghost Squid. They gain the same benefits as the caster in the case of Time Stop. Ghost Squid may not enter the area of effect of a Forbiddance Spell. Dispel Magic targeted on a Ghost Squid Nauseates it for 1 round if it fails a Will Save (DC 10 Spell level + appropriate caster stat). Greater Dispel Magic Nauseates it for 1d4 rounds, and Mordenkainen's Disjunction Nauseates it for 1d6 rounds, and Dazes it for 1d6 rounds after that. Casting Dimensional Lock or Dimensional Anchor on a Ghost Squid casues it to become solid for the spells duration. While solid it loses the Incorporeal subtype and gains the following changes to its stats:

It uses the stats and initiative listed in parentheses. Flight speed becomes 35' (poor). The Ghost Squid can concentrate so it no longer suffers from Confusion. Armor Class becomes a 17 (-2 Size, -1 Dex, +10 natural), touch 7, flat footed 17. Its touch corrodes matter, so instead of Wisdom Damage its attacks do acid damage.

Attack: Tentacle +17 melee (1d6+8 acid)
Full Attack: 10 Tentacles +17 melee (1d6+8 acid) and a Bite +12 melee (2d6+8 acid)
Constrict: 3d6+8 acid
The Ghost Squid may not use its Rend Soul ability while solid.

Flight (Ex): The Ghost Squids ability to fly is unexplained. Gravity apparently offers no hold on the Squid and it simply hovers in mid air until it wills itself to move in a direction. This means it cannot fall below its current position, and is immune to effects like the Reverse Gravity spell.

Combat: Generally Ghost Squid attack randomly for one round and move on while under the influence of their confusion. When their attention is focused enough to concentrate on an opponent, they tend to attack whatever drew their attention first, and whatever is actually able to affect them after ripping out the soul of their first opponent. They drop out of invisibility, lash the bejeezus out of whoever attracted their attention with a full attack, and then go for constriction the next round. If a spell causes them to become solid, they will concentrate exclusively on the person(s) responsible.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 03:24:52 AM »
Ghost Squidling Swarm
Diminutive Aberration (Incorporeal, Extraplanar, Swarm)
Hit Dice: 12d8+24 (78 hp)
Initiative: +7 (+3)
Speed: Flight 40 ft. (8 squares, perfect)
Armor Class: 26 (+4 Size, +7 Dex, +5 Deflection), touch 26, flat-
footed 19
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/-4
Attack: Swarm (1 point of Wisdom Damage)
Full Attack: Swarm (1 point of Wisdom Damage)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Distraction, Horrifying Appearance, Rend Soul
Special Qualities: Dimensional Sense 60', Improved Incorporeality,
Invisibility, Partial Invulnerability, Vulnerabilities,
Confusion, Pan-Dimensional, Flight, Swarm Traits,
Immune to Weapon Damage
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +13, Will +10
Abilities: Str 0 (1), Dex 27 (17), Con 14, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 16
Skills: Knowledge (Arcana, Religion, The Planes, Things Man Was
Not Meant To Know) +11, Listen +10, Move Silently +16,
Spot +10
Feats: Dodge, Mobility, Lightning Reflexes, Flyby Attack, Improved
Flyby Attack
Organization: Solitary or Giant Swarm (8-12 Swarms)
Challenge Rating: 14
Advancement: None

"...Private Johnson will not be returning for this reason.  Neither will any member of my crew.  I could still hear what they pulled from him screaming even after his body had long fallen to the ground, and I no longer believe in the Gods ability to protect us.  Please give my regards to my wife and children, as after I send this message by courier I intend to take up a ball and pistol and end my life.  Sincerely, Captain Wickham."

Ghost Squidling Swarms are even rarer than Ghost Squid, and understood even less. It is unknown if they are younger Ghost Squid, or a similar species, or even some other possibility entirely. They do seem to be more aggressive, and usually devour souls instead of just ripping them apart.

Horrifying Appearance (Ex): Ghost Squid generate a feeling of wrongness around them. People claim they can hear voices, but there is no sound. They know they are being watched, but there is no watcher. Anyone within 30' of an invisible Ghost Squid must make a Will Save (Dc=10 + half Ghost Squids Hit Dice+Cha modifier, in this case DC 19) or be Shaken until the Squid is no longer in range. Anyone able to see a Squid because it has dropped its invisibility must make a Will Save (Same DC), or be Paralyzed for 1d6 rounds. Anyone making the Save is immune to that Ghost Squids Horrifying Appearance for 24 hours. Anyone witnessing a swarm of Ghost Squid must also make a Will Save (Same DC) or contract some form of insanity (DM's discretion on this one, I havent made up rules for it yet). This insanity can be cured by Remove Curse. If an opponent uses True Sight or a similar ability, or Detect Thoughts or an ability that allows it to see into the Ghost Squids mind, he must make a Will Save (DC = 19, Save is Cha based) or be affected as if by a Feeblemind spell (effective caster level equal to Ghost Squids Hit Dice)

Rend Soul (Su): At the beginning of any round in which the Ghost Squid has an opponent swarmed, and at 0 Wisdom, it may automatically pull out his soul and rip it to pieces. The victim may not be Raised or Resurrected. Optionally they may only be Raised or Resurrected after the Miracle or Wish spell has been used to restore their soul. Some Squid eat the souls of their opponents, and if they are Raised or Ressurected they may have acquired the Pseudonatural or Half-Farspawn Template.

Distraction (Ex): Any living (or incorporeal undead such as ghosts) creature (solid or incorporeal) that begins its turn with a Ghost Squid Swarm in its space must make a DC 18 Fortitude save or be Nauseated for 1 round. The Save DC is Constitution based.

Pan-Dimensional (Su): Ghost Squid exist simultaneously on the same point in multiple planes. Should someone cast spells or use abilities similar to Etheral Jaunt or Astral Projection to escape to another plane they have a 50% chance that the Ghost Squid is already there waiting for them. If not there is a 50% chance it will arrive within 1d6 rounds.

Dimensional Sense (Ex): The Ghost Squid has a sort of 3 dimensional spatial sense that allows it to 'see' everything within 60'. This includes invisible creatures, and even ones behind walls if they are within range. This effectively means that anything within 60 feet has no concealment , and automatically fails all Hide rolls. The Ghost Squid cannot be flanked.

Invisibility (Su): The Ghost Squid can become Invisible at will as per the spell. Truthfully invisibility is their natural state, and they only become even partially visible when attacking.

Partial Invulnerability (Ex): The Ghost Squid is Immune to the following: Critical hits, ability drain or damage, energy drain, mind affecting effects, non lethal damage, poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, posion, paralysis, polymorph, death effects, energy drain, disease, and fatigue/exhaustion. It does not breathe, eat or sleep. There are some exceptions to these rules spelled out below.

Improved Incorporeality (Ex): Unlike normal Incorporeal beings, Force effects and positive/negative energy still have the standard 50% miss chance when targeting the Ghost Squid, and it can pass through Forcewalls. They may also pass through other Incorporeal beings and even one another.

Confusion (Ex): Because of their Pan-Dimensional nature Ghost Squid seem to always be distracted or performing random actions, or simply acting in ways not understood by others. It effectively permanently suffers from the Confusion spell, unless something narrows its attention. Things that would narrow its attention would be spells or effects that effect space/time (Time Stop, Ethereal Jaunt, Plane shift, Gate, Summoning, etc.), powerful items that can alter reality (most artifacts, Spheres of Annihilation), being attacked effectively, or beings of great power (exceptionally powerful Oustiders mostly). If such a thing is within the Squids Dimensional Sense Range, the Squid gets a Willpower Save (DC 20) to shrug off the Confusion effect until the end of the encounter.

Vulnerabilities (Ex): Ghost Squid are vulnerable to specific spells, and other powers or abilities that mimic their effects. Spells or effects that would send an Extraplanar creature back to its home plane (Banishment, Dismissal, Holy Word, etc.) cause it to flee from the caster at full speed for 1d6 minutes instead. If a Ghost Squid is summoned via Greater Planar Binding it remains present after the spell ends. Targeting a Ghost Squid with Plane Shift Stuns it for 1d6 rounds. Ghost Squids will not enter Antimagic Fields. If a Ghost Squid enters a Gate it teleports 1d00 miles in a random direction. Temporal Stasis and Time Stop do not effect the Ghost Squid. They gain the same benefits as the caster in the case of Time Stop. Ghost Squid may not enter the area of effect of a Forbiddance Spell. Dispel Magic targeted on a Ghost Squid Nauseates it for 1 round if it fails a Will Save (DC 10 Spell level + appropriate caster stat). Greater Dispel Magic Nauseates it for 1d4 rounds, and Mordenkainen's Disjunction Nauseates it for 1d6 rounds, and Dazes it for 1d6 rounds after that. Casting Dimensional Lock or Dimensional Anchor on a Ghost Squid casues it to become solid for the spells duration. While solid it loses the Incorporeal subtype and gains the following changes to its stats:

It uses the stats and initiative listed in parentheses. Flight speed becomes 15' (poor). The Ghost Squid can concentrate so it no longer suffers from Confusion. Armor Class becomes a 19 (+4 Size, +3 Dex, +2 natural), touch 17, flat footed 16. Its touch corrodes matter, so instead of Wisdom Damage its attacks do acid damage.

Attack: Swarm 3d6 acid
The Ghost Squid may not use its Rend Soul ability while solid.

Flight (Ex): The Ghost Squids ability to fly is unexplained. Gravity apparently offers no hold on the Squid and it simply hovers in mid air until it wills itself to move in a direction. This means it cannot fall below its current position, and is immune to effects like the Reverse Gravity spell.

Combat: Pretty much the same as a regular Ghost Squid.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 03:25:33 AM »
Vampire Squid
Large Aberration (Aquatic)
Hit Dice: 12d8+60 (114 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 40 ft. swim(8 squares)
Armor Class: 21 (-1 Size, +4 Dex, +8 Natural), touch 13, flat-footed 17
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+19
Attack: Tentacle +14 melee (1d6+6)
Full Attack: 8 Tentacles +14 melee (1d6+6) and 1 Bite +12 melee (1d8+3)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft. (20 ft with tentacles)
Special Attacks: Improved Grab, Blood Drain
Special Qualities: Blindsight 120 ft., Vulnerability to Light, Poison Cloud, Partial Invisibility, Fast Healing 3, Immune to Cold
Saves: Fort +11, Ref +10, Will +10
Abilities: Str 23, Dex 18, Con 20, Int 15, Wis 15, Cha 14
Skills: Escape Artist +16, Knowledge (Arcana, The Planes, Things Man Was Not Meant to Know) +9, Listen +10, Move Silently +13, Search +10, Spot +10, Swim +18
Feats: Multiattack, Multigrab, Greater Multigrab, Great Fortitude, Lightning Reflexes
Environment: Cold Aquatic
Organization: Solitary, Hunting Pack (3-5), Mass Swarm (10-100)
Challenge Rating: 10
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always Chaotic Evil
Advancement: 9-15 HD (Large), 16-25 HD (Huge)

"I...am sorry Paul.  I know your family fortune is in that wreck at the bottom of the trench.  But I can't go back down there.  I know what lives down there in the dark.  it took my arm, and I won't let it get the rest of me.  You'll have to find someone else.  And Paul? May the Gods protect you.  Even though they didn't do me much good..."

The Beings referred to as Vampire Squid in some rare books live in the deepest parts of the ocean where there is never any light. They are one of the few things feared by the Anguilians and rightly so. They and their Sahuagin relatives refer to the 'squids' as "The Hungering Dark". Swarms of Vampire Squid have destroyed their cities. No one has ever really seen one, but the very, very rare victim to escape their clutches described it as being similar to wrestling with an Octopus except the flesh was more fluid and elastic, covered with what felt like hooked barbs and noxious boils. Vampire Squid have never attempted to communicate with anyone and it is unknown if they understand any form of language. For the most part they stay in the depths, other than rare feeding frenzy's which bring them closer to the surface.

Improved Grab(Ex): If a Vampire Squid hits an opponent of any size with its tentacle attack it may attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the Grapple attempt it may use its Blood Drain ability.

Blood Drain (Ex): If a Vampire Squid succeeds with its Improved Grab, it constricts with its tentacles. The barbs from the tentacles do 1d6+6 damage per round, and the mouths lining the tentacles drain 2 Con worth of blood per round as long as the Grapple is maintained

Partial Invisibility (Ex): The material that Vampire Squid are composed of renders it invisible to Dark Vision. They do not become visible when attacking. Combined with the lack of light in the areas it normally inhabits this usually makes it completely invisible.

Vulnerability to Light(Ex): If exposed to even the tiniest amount of light the Vampire Squid begins to boil and rot away, losing 1d4 Con a round from something similar to torch light and taking double damage from all spells with the Light descriptor. A Daylight spell destroys it instantly. It is for this reason no one has ever truly described one. And unfortunately it also leads to other problems...

Poison Cloud (Ex): Whenever the Vampire Squid is exposed to Light or dies it begins to rot away turning into a thick poisonous cloud of oil that causes anything in it to bleed from its pores. Anything within 10 ft. of the Vampire Squid must make a DC 21 Fortitude Save (Save is Con based). Initial and Secondary Damage is 2d6 Constitution. The cloud lasts as long as the Squid is losing Con due to light exposure, and for 1d4 rounds thereafter.

Skills: A Vampire Squid receives a +10 Racial Bonus to Escape Artist checks, and a +8 Racial Bonus to Swim checks.  It may always Take 10 on a Swim check, and may use the Run Action while swimming in a straight line.

Combat: Vampire Squids immediately close to Grapple.  They flee immediately from light or any creature that puts up a serious fight.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 11:35:05 PM by bhu »

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 03:25:59 AM »
The Corrupt

This is an Acquired Template that can be applied to any Animal, Humanoid, or Vermin (It’s in a pretty restricted campaign, in yours you may wish to expand it to any living being) size Small or bigger.

Size and Type: Size is Unchanged, Type changes to Outsider. The base Creature gains the Chaotic, Evil, and Aquatic subtypes if it doesn't have them.  It loses the Lawful or Good Subtypes if it has those.

Hit Dice: All current and future Hit Dice are d8’s.

Speed: Unchanged.  If the creature does not have a Climb Speed it gains one equal to half it’s base speed.  If it doesn’t have a Swim move it gains one equal to it’s land speed. 

Armor Class: Unchanged.

Attacks: BAB is now equal to the Base Creatures hit dice if it has Racial Hit Dice.
It also gains several tentacle attacks.  When making a Full Attack it can also make a number of extra tentacle attacks (these are secondary attacks) depending on it's size (these are secondary attacks).  Small: 1 tentacle attack doing 1d3 plus 1/2 Strength bonus. Medium: 2 Tentacle attacks doing 1d4 plus half Strength bonus.   Large: 3 tentacle attacks doing 1d6 plus half Strength bonus.  Huge: 4 tentacle attacks doing 1d8 plus half Strength bonus.  Gargantuan: 5 Tentacle attacks doing 2d6 plus half Strength bonus.  These extra tentacle attacks emerge from the creatures mouth so it loses it's bite attack (if it has one) and wishes to use them.

Damage: Unchanged.

Special Attacks: The Corrupt retains all Special Attacks of the Base Creature, and gains the following:

Improved Grab (Ex): If the Corrupt hits with one of it's tentacle attacks, or one of the Base creature's primary natural attacks it may immediately make a grapple attempt as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity.  If it is successful it may constrict.

Constrict (Ex): If the corrupt succeeds in a grapple attempt it vomits tentacles around it's victim rending their flesh.  The Constriction does a certain amount of damage based on the Base Creatures size class plus double it's Strength modifier.  Small: 1d6, Medium: 1d8, Large: 2d6, Huge:2d8, Gargantuan: 4d6.

Psychoactive Slime (Ex): The Corrupts tentacles are covered in a slime that causes mild hallucinations in it's victims, and makes them susceptible to commands.  It also produces a mild aphrodisiac effect.  The combination basically allows the Corrupt to seduce it's opponent into allowing it to be converted into another Corrupt.  The poison is a contact poison.  Initial and Secondary damage is 1d4 Wisdom (Save DC is 10 plus i/2 the Corrupts Hit Dice plus it's Constitution modifier).

Kiss (Ex): If a Corrupt can seduce a victim into allowing the Corrupt to kiss it, the Corrupt will extrude tentacles down it's throat.  The victim can make a Grapple Check to escape, but the Corrupt gains a +8 Circumstance Bonus to it's Grapple Check.  Each round the Grapple is maintained the victim begins to suffocate, and is poisoned by the tentacles Psychoactive Slime.  If the victim dies it will reanimate as a Corrupt within 1d4 days.

Hypnotic Call (Su): Once a creature has fallen victim to it's psychoactive slime the Corrupt will use it's telepathy to coerce the creature to submit willingly to it's Kiss.  If the victim escapes it may also use the ability to entice him back.  As a full round action the Corrupt may telepathically call any victim that has been poisoned by it's psychoactive slime.  The victim must be within 1 mile of the Corrupt.  The Corrupt sends telepathic messages attempting to coerce the victim who must make a Willpower save (DC 10 + 1/2 the Corrupts Hit Dice + it's Charisma modifier) or willingly submit to the Kiss for 1 round.  Optionally it may also attempt to force an escaped victim to return if he is within the 1 mile range (Save DC is same).

Special Qualities: The Corrupt retains all Special Qualities of the Base Creature, and gains the following:

Amphibious (Ex): The Corrupt can exist easily in both water and air.

Regeneration 5

Damage Reduction 5/Slashing or Piercing

Blooming Wounds (Ex):[/B] If the Corrupt takes a Critical Hit from a Slashing or Piercing weapon it's true nature is revealed.  It also allows it to bring more tentacles to bear, giving it one extra tentacle attack for every critical hit it receives.

Immunities: The Corrupt is immune to Poison, Sleep effects, Paralysis, Stunning, Disease, Death effects, Critical Hits, Non lethal damage, fatigue and exhaustion effects, aging effects, and polymorph.

Telepathy (Su): The Corrupt can communicate telepathically with any being in 100'.

Unnatural (Ex): The Corrupt do not eat, drink, age, or sleep.

Dark Vision(Ex)  60'

Saves: All Saves are now Good Saves, and Saves from racial hit dice must be recalculated..

Abilities: +4 Str, +4 Dex, +4 Con, +6 Int, +6 Wis, +6 Cha

Skills: If the base creature has racial hit dice, skill points are now (8+Int) per level, with x4 for the 1st level.  Class skills are whatever skills are listed in the base creatures entry.

Feats: Mention any changes in Feats or Bonus Feats here.

Organization: Solitary, Pair, Group (3-6), or City (several hundred)

Challenge Rating: +3?

Treasure: Double Standard

Alignment: Becomes Chaotic Evil

Advancement: By class level

Level Adjustment: +6?

The Corrupt are a relatively new creature, created by the sacrifice of insane cultists to powers beyond that they do not understand.  The Corrupt appears to be a perfectly normal man or woman, but in reality it is a suit of skin and artifice.  The skin is filled with the power of creatures from beyond this world which manifests itself as slimy octopus like tentacles.  So long as the 'suit' isn't damaged beyond repair, the Outsider within it can remain in this world, infecting and converting others.  If it takes too much damage, or is rent apart somehow the truth is revealed to the world, and the tentacles inside burrow into the Earth making a loud keening sound.  The ruse is difficult to penetrate.  A DC 35 Spot check will occasionally detect an undulating under the skin, or a joint bending in a way it shouldn't.   The concentration of the corrupt isn't infallible.  Under water or in extremely high winds the check drops to DC 20.  A critical hit with any weapon reveals the Corrupt immediately, as tentacles will protrude from any open wound, and a strong blunt blow will bend the outside suit in odd ways. 

The Lady Alessa (Female Human Aristocrat 5/Corrupt)
                      Medium Outsider (Chaotic, Evil, Aquatic)
Hit Dice:            5d8+10 (32 hp)
Initiative:           +3
Speed:                30 ft. (6 squares), Climb 15 ft., Swim 30 ft.
Armor Class:          13 (+3 Dex), touch 13, flat-footed 10
Base Attack/Grapple:  +3/+4
Attack:               Weapon +4 melee
Full Attack:          Weapon +4 melee, and 2 tentacles -1 melee (1d4)
Space/Reach:          5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks:      Improved Grab, Kiss, Psychoactive Slime, Constrict, Hypnotic Call
Special Qualities:    Amphibious, Regeneration 5, Damage Reduction 5/Slashing or Piercing, Blooming Wounds, Telepathy, Unnatural, Dark Vision 60', Immunities
Saves:                Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +9
Abilities:            Str 12, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 19, Wis 20, Cha 22
Skills:               Bluff +15, Diplomacy +15, Gather Information +13, Intimidate +16, Knowledge (Local, Nobility) +11, Listen +12, Sense Motive +14, Spot +12
Feats:                Negotiator, Persuasive
Environment:          Any
Challenge Rating:     8
Treasure:             Standard
Alignment:            Chaotic Evil
Advancement:          by character class
Level Adjustment:     +6

The Lady Alessa is a human noble and a typical example of a Corrupt made for gathering information and political power.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 12:04:30 AM by bhu »

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 03:26:29 AM »
Amanga Impisi (False Hyena)
Medium Aberration
Hit Dice: 12d8+48 (102 hp)
Initiative: +6
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares)
Armor Class: 20 (+2 Dex, +8 Natural), touch 12, flat-footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+12
Attack: Bite +12 melee (1d6+3)
Full Attack: Bite +12 melee (1d6+3)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Madness Gaze, Spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Alternate Form, Summon Pack, Regeneration 5, Damage Reduction 5/Good, Telepathy 100 ft., Scent, Dark Vision 60 ft., Immunities
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +12
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 15, Con 18, Int 16, Wis 18, Cha 18
Skills: Bluff +9, Diplomacy +13, Hide +8, Intimidate +11, Knowledge (Arcana) +10, Knowledge (Nature) +5, Knowledge (Religion) +8, Knowledge (Things Man Was Not Meant To Know) +10, Listen +9, Move Silently +7, Search +8, Sense Motive +9, Spellcraft +10, Spot +9, Survival +7 (+9 to follow tracks)
Feats: Ability Focus (Madness Gaze), Track, Narrowed Gaze, Pervasive Gaze, Improved Initiative
Environment: Warm Deserts or Plains
Organization: Solitary or traveling with hyena pack
Challenge Rating: 9
Advancement: 13-30 HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment: ---

"We used to make sure the Hyenas never came near our villages.  We knew they were evil back then.  We knew what would happen.  But the young people these days, they've forgotten the old ways for money and material things.  And they think having the Hyenas as pets are a symbol of status.  Back in the old days I killed a Hyena out on the plains at night, and when it died it...changed.  I haven't slept much at nights since.  Especially since they've been bringing them into the city.  I know they're watching me.  Take this machete boy.  It's special.  When I die, you know what to use it for."

The Amanga Impisi is a creature from the depths of space that arrived on the world many millennia ago. It has been confused with demons and other such creatures for a long time. The Amanga's goals appear to be uncertain, as they travel not with each other but with packs of Hyenas. It is rumored they feed on the fear and madness of mortal men, and work to disrupt societies and cause massive bloodshed. They appear as vaguely hyena like in shape with hooved feet. The skin is armor plated with fleshy tendrils of some kind running down the back and sides like some sort of perverse mane. The heavily armored head is much like a hyenas skull with split nostrils and random thornlike growths. The face is blood red turning to green near the mane, with the body mostly yellow. Inhabitants in areas populated by them tend to believe the Hyena is an evil creature. Amanga speak their own language.

Madness Gaze (Su): Become permanently Insane, range 30 ft., Willpower Save DC 22 Negates (Save is Charisma Based). If the Willpower Save is failed the victim acquires some sort of permanent insanity. In normal D&D this is Insanity, as per the spell.  See the Unearthed Arcana or D20 Call of Cthulhu for other examples of Insanity. The DM should pick one appropriate to the moment.

Spell Like Abilities (Sp): The Amanga can use various Spell-Like abilities as an 8th Level Caster.  They get five 1st Level, three 2nd Level, two 3rd Level, and one 4th Level spells.  They may choose any Divination, Enchantment or Illusion spells from the Sorcerer list.   They may use the 1st and 2nd Level spells 3/day, and the 3rd and 4th Level spells 1/day.

Alternate Form (Su): At will the Amanga can appear to be a normal Hyena. This is a Mind-Affecting Glamer effect, and has no effects on stats or abilities. Creatures unaffected by Glamers are immune to this ability and see the Amanga as it is. Turning this ability on or off is a free action, but it drops automatically if the Amanga Impisi attacks.

Summon Pack (Su): Once per day the Amanga can summon a pack of 8 Hyenas.  This works like the spell Summon Natures Ally V in all other respects.

Immunities (Ex): The Amanga is immune to poison, paralysis, polymorph, sleep and death affects, and stunning.

Combat: The Amanga will stalk its prey in the bush for weeks slowly destroying its mind with its spell like abilities before using its gaze to drive it over the brink. After that it and the pack tear the victim apart.

Side note: Amanga means "lie" in Zulu. Impisi is their name for the Hyena.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 11:40:09 PM by bhu »

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 03:27:00 AM »
Demon of the Seas
Medium Aberration (Aquatic, Chaos, Evil)
Hit Dice: 10d8+50 (95 hp)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), Swim 50 ft.
Armor Class: 21 (+1 Dex, +10 Natural), touch 11, flat-footed 20
Base Attack/Grapple: +7/+12
Attack: Pincer + 12 melee (1d8+5)
Full Attack: 2 Pincers +12 melee (1d8+5) and I Bite +7 melee (1d6+2 plus poison)
Special Attacks: Rend (2d8+10), Poison, Improved Grab, Special Attack
Special Qualities: Amphibious, Dark Vision 60', Regeneration 5, Special Defense
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +4, Will +9
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 12, Con 21, Int 4, Wis 15, Cha 15
Skills: Climb +8, Intimidate +5, Listen +5, Spot +5, Survival +5, Swim +13
Feats: Ability Focus (Poison), Power Attack, Cleave, Improved Initiative
Environment: Any Aquatic
Organization: Solitary, Pair, Gang (3-6), Horde (100-1000)
Challenge Rating: 9
Treasure: Double Standard
Alignment: Always Chaotic Neutral
Advancement: 11-16 HD (Large), 17-24 HD (Huge), 25-35 HD (Gargantuan), 36-50 Hit Dice (Colossal)
Level Adjustment: -----

You man the watch as every year at this time. They will come when the tides rise. By the hundreds maybe, and you must warn the towns when they surface. The wind and rain lash the waves and you with equal fervor for hours. And then the calm comes, and the things begin to crawl from the sea. Tall, and barrel chested they are, like the brutish apes of the southern forests. But these apes are covered in hard shell, not fur, and their forelimbs end in lobster like claws, not hands. The face is vaguely lobsterlike as well but for the multiple eyes and all the tendrils coming from the lower part of it's face like one of the Nautiloids you used to fish for as a child. Anemone like tendrils sprout from it at random like parasitic growths. And these are merely the newborns...

It's uncertain what the origin of the Sea Demons is.  Every year during the summer storms they swarm from the ocean killing and devouring everything in sight.  Coastal regions and island nations have until the next year to rebuild, and harden their defenses before the next wave.  it is assumed that the Demons are the newborns, as larger versions are encountered on the open seas if any members of the swarm survive. But no one has ever encountered the parents of these creatures...

Improved Grab (Ex): If a Sea Demon hits with it's Pincer attack it may make a Grapple Check as a Free Action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If successful it may do it's Rend damage each round it maintains the Grapple.

Rend (Ex): With a successful Grapple check (or if both Pincers hit) the Sea Demon may rend for 2d8+10 damage.

Poison (Ex): Injury, Fort Save 22, Initial damage 1d6 Dex, Secondary damage is paralysis for 1d6 minutes. Save DC is Con based.

Special Attack (Su): Sea Demons are very prone to mutation, and none look alike entirely. Each has spells seemingly linked to its appearance it can cast as Supernatural Abilities. They have a 1st level spell they can use at will, a 3rd level spell they can use 3 times per day, and a 5th level spell they can use once a day. They get one set form the following list:

1)Shark:1st level (Critical Strike), 3rd level (Manyjaws), 5th (Vortex of Teeth)

2)Whale: 1st level (Shock and Awe), 3rd level (Thunderous Roar), 5th level (Draconic Might)

3)Eel: 1st level (Lesser Orb of Electricity), 3rd level (Scintillating Sphere), 5th level (Ball Lightning)

4)Jellyfish: 1st level (Babau Slime), 3rd level (Amorphous Form), 5th level (Acid Sheath)

5)Cephalopod: 1st level (Camouflage), 3rd level (Girallons Blessing), 5th level (Rejuvenation Cocoon)

6)Crustacean: 1t level (Mage Armor), 3rd level (Jagged Tooth), 5th level (Indominability)

7)Echinoderm: 1st level (Doom), 3rd level (Quillfire), 5th (Poison Thorns)

8)Worm:1st level (Spirit Worm), 3rd level (Infestation of Maggots), 5th level (Crawling Darkness)

See Spell Compendium for spells

Special Defense: Sea Demons are very prone to mutation. They get one defense from the following list:

1) Increase Natural Armor Bonus by +5
2) Energy Resistance 10 to one energy Type or Energy Resistance 5 to 2 energy Types.
3) Scent
4) Spell Resistance Equal to 10 plus Hit Dice
5) Blindsight 60'
6) Damage Reduction 5/Magic
7) Fast Healing 3
8) May cast any 1 Abjuration Spell of 3rd level or less 3 times per day as a Supernatural ability.

Combat: Combat varies with what attack/defense the Demon has chosen.  Most simply rush forward into their foes and begin ripping.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 03:27:51 AM »
Spectral Ape
Large Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 6d10+18 (51 hp)
Initiative: +6
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), Climb 20 ft.
Armor Class: 15 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +4 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+16
Attack: Slam +11 melee (1d6+6) or Rock +7 ranged (1d6+6)
Full Attack: 2 Slams +11 melee (1d6+6) and 1 Bite +6 melee (1d4+3) or or Rock +7 ranged (1d6+6)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Improved Grab, Constrict (2d6+6)
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., Low-light vision, Greater Invisibility
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +3
Abilities: Str 23, Dex 14, Con 17, Int 5, Wis 12, Cha 5
Skills: Climb +14, Listen +4, Move Silently +5, Spot +4
Feats: Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Spectral SKirmisher*
Environment: Warm forests
Organization: Solitary, Hunting Party (3-6), Colony (10-20), or City (50-75)
Challenge Rating: 6
Treasure:  Standard
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 7-12 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: --

* see PHB2

"We could hear them in the night.  That's when they came out, despite us not being able to see them.  We started getting picked off one by one, until we fled the jungles.  We went back in with a Wizard who claimed he could see the invisible.  Said we were just fighting apes.  Helped us fight them even, until something we couldn't see plucked him from the ground and crushed him like a grape 20 feet up in the air.  We won't go back now.  No matter what you or anyone else is willing to pay.  You want whats in that ruin it's yours.  I'll give you the map.  But my help ends there."

In the Jungles of (insert name here) there is a legend that long ago a wizard was destroyed by his own creations, and that his former palace is now a rotting hulk, eaten by the jungle, and haunted by the remains of what he left behind. The truth is that there is a large fortress somewhere in the jungle, and it is haunted, not by apparitions, but by great apes that can walk unseen. When slain they appear, and are white, horribly malformed and misshapen gorilla like hominids. The apes are highly territorial, and omnivorous. They are smart enough to know that they are invisible, and are often quiet knowing that hearing and smell are the only ways most beings can find them. Adventurers will often blindly walk unawares into the entire colony of them.  Spectral Apes are similar in size to Dire Apes, and do not appear to be capable of speech despite their higher intelligence.

Greater Invisibility (Su): This ability is constant, allowing the Spectral Ape to remain Invisible even while attacking. It works like the spell Greater Invisibility, and lasts as long as the Spectral Ape is alive (it becomes visible 1 minute after death). This ability is not subject to Invisibility Purge.

Improved Grab (Ex): If a Spectral Ape hits with it's Slam attack it can make a Grapple Check as a Free Action without provoking an Attack of Opportunity. If successful it may Constrict the next round.

Constrict (Ex): The Spectral Ape does 2d6+6 with a successful Grapple check.

Skills: Spectral Apes have a +8 Racial Bonus to Climb checks, and may always take 10 on a Climb check even if rushed or threatened.

Combat: Spectral Apes go straight for the Grapple. Lock up with the victim and rip him to shreds. Sometimes if there are groups they'll fling rocks, but generally they like to be up close and personal

« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 11:42:05 PM by bhu »

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 03:28:27 AM »
Spectral Dire Ape
Huge Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 18d10+90 (189 hp)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares), Climb 30 ft.
Armor Class: 19 (-2 size, +1 Dex, +10 natural), touch 9, flat-footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +18/+36
Attack: Slam +26 melee (1d8+10) or Rock +17 ranged (2d8+10)
Full Attack: 2 Slams +26 melee (1d8+10) and 1 Bite +21 melee (1d6+5) or Rock +17 ranged (2d8+10)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft.
Special Attacks: Improved Grab, Constrict (2d8+10)
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., Low-light vision, Greater Invisibility
Saves: Fort +16, Ref +12, Will +7
Abilities: Str 31, Dex 12, Con 21, Int 5, Wis 12, Cha 5
Skills: Climb +18, Listen +8, Move Silently +8, Spot +8
Feats: Awesome Blow, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Initiative, Greater Multigrab, Multigrab, Power Attack, Spectral Skirmisher*
Environment: Warm forests
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 12
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 19-36 HD (Huge), 37-54 HD (Gargantuan)
Level Adjustment: --

* See Savage Species and PHB 2 for some Feats.

"I warned you not to go in there! I warned you! Now it's followed you back, and it'll get us all! Get off my land and don't come back you fools!  Go spend what time you have left regretting what you've done."

Every so often there's a nasty mutation of sorts among the Spectral Apes. Or perhaps they just keep getting bigger with age. There are few recorded instances of s Spectral Dire Ape (possibly due to their invisibility), but slain specimens have been 20-30 feet tall.

Greater Invisibility (Su): This ability is constant, allowing the Spectral Dire Ape to remain Invisible even while attacking. It works like the spell Greater Invisibility, and lasts as long as the Spectral Dire Ape is alive (it becomes visible 1 minute after death). This ability is not subject to Invisibility Purge.

Improved Grab (Ex): If a Spectral Dire Ape hits with it's Slam attack it can make a Grapple Check as a Free Action without provoking an Attack of Opportunity. If successful it may Constrict the next round.

Constrict (Ex): The Spectral Ape does 2d8+10 with a successful Grapple check.

Skills: Spectral Dire Apes have a +8 Racial Bonus to Climb checks, and may always take 10 on a Climb check even if rushed or threatened.

Combat: Spectral Dire Apes go straight for the Grapple. Lock up with the victim and rip him to shreds. Usually one in each hand.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 11:43:27 PM by bhu »

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 03:30:00 AM »
The Fly People
                      Medium Aberration
Hit Dice:             5d8+35 (57 hp)
Initiative:           +9
Speed:                20 ft. (4 squares), Climb 20 ft., Fly 50 ft. (Good)
Armor Class:          23 (+5 Dex, +4 Natural, +4 Insight), touch 19, flat-footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple:  +3/+11
Attack:               Bite +11 melee (1d8+8 plus disease)
Full Attack:          1 Bite +11 melee (1d8+8 plus disease) and 4 Claws +9 melee (1d6+4)
Special Attacks:      Acid Vomit, Improved Grab
Special Qualities:    All-Around Vision, Scent, Droning Flight, Spider Climb, Danger Sense, Immune to Disease and Poison, Alien Mind, Darkvision 60 ft.
Saves:                Fort +8, Ref +10, Will +7
Abilities:            Str 26, Dex 20, Con 24, Int 8, Wis 16, Cha 4
Skills:               Balance +13, Climb +16, Hide +6, Intimidate +3, Listen +3, Search +4, Spot +7, Survival +11
Feats:                Hover, Multiattack, Multiweapon Fighting (B)
Organization:         Solitary, Group (3-6), or Swarm (10-100)
Challenge Rating:     7
Treasure:             None
Alignment:            Usually Neutral Evil
Advancement:          By Character Class (favored Class is Rogue)
Level Adjustment:     ---

"We don't go into the tunnels out by the old city anymore.  In my youth a couple of us wondered why it had been abandoned, and set off in the night to find out.  I'm the only one of us who made it back.  My arm wasn't cut off in the wars like I told you.  It was dissolved in the vomit of the thing we met there.  I'll never return near the old city again.  So forget the bets you made boy.  You can't go to that city.  Not for any amount of money..."

The Fly People are hideous malformed Aberrations with 4 arms, stunted fly wings, and a massive fly-like head with dripping mouthparts.  They spread disease and death, and are considered by many to be a sign of ill omen, since where one is more will follow. Most worship evil deities or Fiends, and are unusually dedicated to spreading their faith, converting followers at sword point if necessary.  Despite their light build they are unusually strong, overpowering even Ogres in hand to hand fights.  The Fly People stand just over 6 feet tall, and speak their own language.  They have never made any indication of being able to understand the speech of other races, though they have to have some means of communicating with their cults.

Disease (Ex): Bite, Fortitude DC 19, Incubation period 1d3 days, Filth Fever, see DMG page 292.

Acid Vomit (Ex): Once every 1d4 rounds the Fly People may vomit acid on an opponent they have Pinned in a Grapple.  They are immune to damage from their own acid.  By making a successful Grapple check, the Fly people can do 2d6 Acid damage.  Each round for 1d6 rounds thereafter the victim takes an additional 1d6 acid damage unless he can wash the stuff off somehow.

Improved Grab (Ex): The Fly People can make a Grapple without provoking an Attack of Opportunity.

All-Around Vision (Ex): The Fly People cannot be flanked, and have a +4 Racial Bonus on all Search and Spot checks.

Droning Flight (Ex): The Fly People cannot make Move Silently checks while flying.

Spider Climb (Ex):  The Fly People may use Spider Climb at will (self only).

Danger Sense (Ex): The Fly People gain a +4 Racial Balance on Initiative checks, a +4 Insight Bonus to AC, and a +4 Racial Bonus to Reflex Saves.

Alien Mind (Ex): The Fly People gain a +4 Racial Bonus on all Saving Throws against Mind-Affecting effects.

Skills: The Fly People have a +8 Racial Bonus on Balance, Climb, and Survival checks. They may always Take 10 on a Climb or Balance check.

Combat: The Fly People will immediately close to Grapple so they can use their Acid Vomit, before biting and inflicting the character with disease.  They will then fly away and let the disease take its course, and weaken them.  They will attack again when the PC seems to  have weakened (they will be stalking him all the while).  If the PC's seem stubborn or disease resistant they will go all out for an assault, fleeing if they are reduced to half hp or less. 

« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 11:47:32 PM by bhu »

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 03:30:47 AM »
Scorpionfly Swarm
                      Tiny Vermin (Swarm)
Hit Dice:            12d8+24 (78 hp)
Initiative:           +2
Speed:                5 ft. (1 square), Fly 30 ft., Good
Armor Class:          16 (+2 Size, +2 Dex, +2 Natural), touch 14, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple:  +9/-
Attack:               Swarm (3d6 plus poison)
Full Attack:          Swarm (3d6 plus poison)
Space/Reach:          10 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks:      Distraction, Poison
Special Qualities:    Half Damage from Slashing and Piercing, Dark Vision 60 ft. Swarm Traits, Mindless, Vermin Traits
Saves:                Fort +10, Ref +6, Will +5
Abilities:            Str 3, Dex 15, Con 15, Int -, Wis 12, Cha 2
Skills:              --
Feats:                --
Organization:         Solitary, Cluster (3-6 Swarms)
Challenge Rating:     7
Alignment:            Always Neutral
Advancement:          --
Level Adjustment:     --

"They came out of the Mist when the sun went down.  Shelly was the first one to die.  I can still see her body bloating on the roadside..."

Scorpionflies are horrible alien dragonflies with scorpion stings.  Their venom is quite deadly, and they sting readily if provoked.  And they provoke easy.  They are only rarely spotted, as they only access our world by traveling through gates some unsuspecting fool has opened.  But once they swarm through, they quickly go about setting up nests.

Distraction (Ex): Any opponent that begins its turn within a swarm of Scorpionflies must make a DC 18 Fortitude Save or be Nauseated for 1 round (Save DC is Constitution Based).

Poison (Ex): Injury, Fortitude DC 18, initial and Secondary Damage 1d6 Con (Save DC is Constitution Based).

Combat: Scorpionflies generally sting their victims and retreat.  Swarms are more persistent though, and will repeatedly sting victims to death.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 10:48:12 PM by bhu »

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 03:36:56 AM »
Face Eater
                      Tiny Magical Beast
Hit Dice:             5d10+10 (37 hp)
Initiative:           +1
Speed:                30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class:          21 (+2 Size, +1 Dex, +8 Natural), touch 13, flat-footed 20
Base Attack/Grapple:  +5/+11
Attack:               Claw +9 melee (1d2+2) or Attach +11 (Grapple)
Full Attack:          Claw +9 melee (1d2+2) or Attach +11 (Grapple)
Space/Reach:          2 1/2 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks:      Anesthetic, Attach, Bore
Special Qualities:    Dark Vision 60 ft., Scent
Saves:                Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +2
Abilities:            Str 15, Dex 13, Con 15, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 2
Skills:               Climb +4, Hide +9, Listen +3, Move Silently +3, Spot +3
Feats:                Dodge, Mobility
Environment:          Any Warm and Underground
Organization:         Solitary, Swarm 3-6
Challenge Rating:     3
Alignment:            Always Neutral
Advancement:          6-10 HD (Small)
Level Adjustment:     --

"Some things are better left alone Derek.  I think it's time I tell you why I never go into the swamps east of here.  Forget your friend.  He won't be there when you go in looking for him."

Face Eaters are small Isopod like arthropods that have iron hard shells.  They typically try to attack sleeping, wounded, or vulnerable prey by attaching themselves to the victims face and boring through it to eat his brain.  They lay their eggs in what's left of the body.  Left alone, they stay to their underground lairs.  But if intruded upon, they will scent track escapees back to their home and set up new nests underground, provided there is a source of fresh water (or at least humid caves).

Anaesthetic (Ex): If the Face Eater finds a sleeping victim it will make a Move Silently roll to approach it.  If successful it will then spray anaesthetic into the victims face once it is adjacent.  Creatures immune to poison are immune to this ability.  Range of the spray is 5 feet.  Sprayed creatures must make a DC 14 Fortitude Save (Save DC is Constitution based), or lose all sense of touch for 1d6 rounds.  Effectively it means the victim is immune to pain based effects during this time (such as Symbol of Pain), and damaging or touching him has no chance of waking him up.  He can still make a Listen check vs his opponents Move Silently roll to notice something is going on.

Attach (Ex): Face Eaters have a +12 Racial Bonus to Grapple Checks.  If they hit with a Grapple, they attach themselves to the victim.  While attached it loses it's Dexterity Bonus to AC.  To remove it it must be successfully Pinned in a Grapple or take damage that reduces it to less than half it's hp.

Bore (Ex): Face Eaters have a drill like radula they use to bore into opponents they've attached themselves to.  If it can maintain being attached to a victim for 4 rounds the victim dies as its brain is pierced (it takes 1d6 piercing damage the first 3 rounds).  This is not instantly fatal to foes with multiple heads; and is useless against constructs, elementals, oozes, plants, and undead.  Targets with DR against piercing attacks will prevent the death effect if the 1d6 damage is low enough for the DR to stop it.

Combat: Face Eaters generally only fight unconscious victims.  They will grapple with awake victims, but only as long as they aren't taking any real damage.  If the opponent proves difficult they flee.  If their anesthesia works on a sleeping victim, and it's allies wake up, it will let go and flee.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 10:55:30 PM by bhu »

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 03:37:40 AM »
"Before the time of Men and Beasts, there was a Darkness in the World, and when the Gods made Men and Beasts that Darkness was jealous, for before it had the entire world to itself. 

And the Darkness hid in the Quiet Places, avoiding the clamor and the sound of Men and the grunting of the Beasts.  And it thought.  And as eons past it thought some more.  And one evening it ventured forth into the moonlight, and heard the Gods laughing, and mocking it as a dim memory, and it was angry.

And it walked across the Earth, seeing the plains and cities, and it came upon a Man who showed great fear.  And the Darkness said to him: 'Were the years before we met intolerable to thee?  The years to come shall be no less'.  And the Darkness laid it's hand upon the Man, and the Man no longer knew the terror of years.

At the end of the Forest, and in all the Houses of Men, and in the Caves of the Earth there is Darkness.  Always does it walk among us.  Sometimes the Darkness visits the poorest of Men, and sometimes it visits the very greatest, and on those days the lives of all Men, poor or great, go out into the world.

And the Darkness said: 'The Gods have given every Man and Beast a Road upon the Earth, and at the end of each Road I will wait for them in Time'.

And one day as a Man walked along the Road the Gods had given him, he came suddenly upon the Darkness.  And when the Darkness said 'I am the Darkness of Old Night come upon thee', the man cried out 'Alas that I had walked this Road, for that I had taken another I would not have met with thee.'

And the Darkness said: 'Had it been possible for thee to go by any other way then the Gods would not be Gods. Perhaps they will send thee into other Worlds, and then thou mayest choose another way, and so not meet with me.'

And the Darkness laid it's hand upon him. And the life of the Man went forth like yesterday's sorrows, and dwelt among the lost and forgotten things of the world.

And the Darkness went on with it's work to end the life of all things made by the Gods, and it came upon a Man stricken with sorrow and regret.  And that Man said: "Lay now your hand upon my shoulder for my family is dead, and I have no more use for life or happiness, and I will feel no sorrow at their passing'.  And the Darkness said: 'None have gone willingly before me, and none ever shall'.  And the Darkness made it's mark upon him, and he was as one possessed.  And for many years he laid madness and woe at the feet of his people, until a great Priest came. 

And that Priests name was Sebahattin, and he laid a Great Seal upon the Man possessed by the Darkness.  And the Darkness was put away for many years.  Years beyond counting.  Until at last it was forgotten.

And when Sebahattin passed from the World Men said unto his acolyte  Izzedin: 'Be thou our Priest, and be as wise as Sebahattin'. 

And Izzedin said: 'I am as wise as Sebahattin', and Men were glad.

And Izzedin said of Life and Death: 'These are the affairs of Izzedin', and men brought many gifts to him.  And he grew fat off their charity.

And one day in revelry he cried to the Gods: 'I know all things, for truly there is none so great as I'.  And the Gods broke the Great Seal in their wrath at Izzedin's presumption.

And in the banquet hall of his city Izzedin cried aloud: 'I am Izzedin, and I know all things.'

And the Darkness laid it's hand upon his shoulder and said 'Knowest thou all things then Izzedin'?  And Izzedin became among the things that were.

And Men were sore afraid of this apparition they had long forgot.  And they asked 'Who are you that you would take our Priest from us without prior offense?'

And the Darkness said unto them:

"I am the Pain all living things feel as they first enter this world."

"I am the suffering which plagues your every waking step."

"I am the Darkness of Old Night, and none such as you may gainsay me."

And Men fled before him, and for a brief moment the Darkness knew joy.

The Darkness of Old Night
                      Colossal Outsider (Native, Chaotic, Evil, Incorporeal)
Hit Dice:             25d8+275 (387 hp)
Initiative:           +11
Speed:                Fly 80 ft. (16 squares), Perfect
Armor Class:          40 (-8 Size, +7 Dex, +20 Deflection, +11 Profane), touch 40, flat-footed 33
Base Attack/Grapple:  +25/-
Attack:               -
Full Attack:          -
Space/Reach:          30 ft./20 ft.
Special Attacks:      The Mark of Darkness, Envelop, Hand of Darkness, Frightening Presence
Special Qualities:    Damage Reduction 15/Epic, Dark Sight, Immunities, Dark Endurance, Telepathy 250 ft., Primordial Speech, Living Darkness, Energy Resistance 20 (all types), Regeneration 10, Spell Resistance 33
Saves:                Fort +36, Ref +38, Will +37
Abilities:            Str -, Dex 24, Con 32, Int 18, Wis 23, Cha 32
Skills:               Bluff +28, Concentration +28, Diplomacy +27, Gather Information +27, Hide +32, Intimidate +28, Knowledge (Arcana, Dungeoneering, Geography, History, Local, Nature, Religion) +21, Listen +23, Move Silently +32, Search +21, Sense Motive +23, Spellcraft +20, Spot +23, Use Magic Device +28
Feats:                Ability Focus (The Mark of Darkness, Envelop, Hand of Darkness, Frightening Presence), Epic Reflexes, Epic Will, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes
Organization:         Solitary
Challenge Rating:     23??
Alignment:            Neutral Evil
Advancement:         

The Darkness of Old Night appears to be nothing more than a great shadow.  It cannot be seen so much as experienced, for when it envelops the living, darkness is all they can see.  At times it has possessed a living creature.  Initially the creature appears no different, but when angered the Darkness manifests, and the possessee appears to grow to twice it's size, and appear as a shadow shaped vaguely like itself. It does not appear to show any preference or mercy, all offend it equally from the most innocent babe to the vilest of demons.  It hates the Gods especially, and will murder or possess any priest or cleric crossing it's path no matter how long it takes. Despite the preceding legend the Darkness rarely communicates.  It's origin is unknown, and the Gods have at times claimed to have nothing to do with it's Creation, and have expressed bafflement at it's existence.  So far as they know it may even predate their own existence.

The Mark of Darkness (Su): This works like the Ghosts Malevolence Ability (see MM page 118) with a few exceptions.  The Darkness may possess any being within it's area, but may only try to possess one at a time.  Caster Level is 25.  Will Save to resist is DC 28. Marked Creatures gain the Marked Template (which will follow this entry).

Envelop (Su): Anything that enters the area occupied by the Darkness must make a DC 35 Fortitude Save each round it is there or take 1 point of temporary Constitution damage.  If it is an undead or has no Con score it takes Charisma Damage instead (and is destroyed upon reaching 0). Save DC is Charisma Based.

Hand of Darkness (Su): Once per turn, the Darkness may "lay it's hand" upon one creature it has enveloped.  It must make a DC 35 Fortitude Save or die (Save DC is Charisma Based).  If the creature makes it's saving throw, is immune to Death effects it still takes 3d6 damage.  If used against a Deity this power does 3d6 damage on a Failed Save, or nothing on a successful one.

Frightening Presence (Su): Beings with less Hit Dice than the Darkness must make a DC 35 Willpower Save (Save DC is Charisma Based) or be Frightened for 2d6 rounds after being Enveloped.  If the save is successful they are instead Shaken for 2d6 rounds, and do not need to save against this ability again for 24 hours.

Dark Sight (Su): The Darkness may see perfectly in any Darkness, even Magical darkness, or that created by Dieties.

Immunities: The Darkness is immune to Poison, Sleep effects, Death effects, paralysis, petrification, polymorph, poison, disease, mind-Affecting effects, critical hits, non lethal damage, Ability Damage or Drain, Energy Drain, Fatigue and Exhaustion Effects, and death by Massive Damage.  The Darkness is immune to any spell or effect that allows a Fortitude Saving throw. It does not breathe, eat, age, or sleep.  In addition the Darkness cannot be permanently killed by a mortal being.  Only an immortal, unaging being like itself may permanently destroy the Darkness.  Otherwise it merely reforms in 24 hours.

Dark Endurance (Su): The Darkness gets a Profane Bonus to it's Armor Class and Saving Throws equal to it's Charisma Modifier.

Primordial Speech (Ex): The Darkness can read, write, and speak all languages.  It does not need the Decipher Script skill as it can decipher virtually anything created after it in the world (which is nigh well everything).

Living Darkness (Ex): The Darkness is a patch of sentient incorporeal darkness for all intents and purposes.  At night or in conditions of darkness, or even bad lighting it is effectively invisible. All non magical light sources in it's area are immediately extinguished.  Light sources get an object Save or are doused until out of the area.

Skills: The Darkness has a +8 Racial Bonus to Hide and Move Silently checks.

Combat:  Normally the Darkness will simply envelop opponents until they have been destroyed by it's mere presence.  If the opponents are known to it to dwell in a nearby city, it may use it's Mark of Darkness ability to possess one and use him to wreak havoc.

Marked

Marked is an Acquired Template that can be applied to any Corporeal being.

Size and Type: Unchanged (but see below).

Hit Dice: If the Base Creature has more Hit Dice than The Darkness, Hit Dice are unchanged.  Otherwise it increases to 25 Hit Dice.

Speed: Unchanged.

Armor Class: Base Creature gains a +11 Profane Bonus to Armor Class.

Attacks: Base Creature uses the Darknesses BAB instead of it's own.  If the Base Creature as no Natural Weapons, it gains a Slam Attack doing damage based on the Base Creatures Size: Fine (1 point), Diminutive (1d2), Tiny (1d3), Small (1d4), Medium (1d6), Large (1d8), Huge (2d6), Gargantuan (2d8), Colossal (4d6). 

Damage: Recalculate Damage due to Strength Increase. It also does an extra 2d6 Profane damage with each hit from it's natural weapons.

Special Attacks: Retains all Special Attacks of the Base Creature, and gains the following:

Manifest (Su): When angered the Darkness will manifest itself, displaying it's power over the Marked creature it has possessed.  The creature becomes a shadowy version of itself 1 Size Class Larger.  it retains all the normal bonuses for being a bigger Size Class, but none of the penalties ro AC or to hit rolls.

Frightening Presence (Su): When Manifested and attacking the Darkness causes fear in any being with less hit dice than itself.  If any being within 30' has less Hit Dice it must make a Will Saving Throw (DC 10 plus half level plus Charisma Modifier) or be Frightened for 2d6 rounds.  If it is successful it is Shaken for 1d6 rounds instead, and does not need to save against this ability again for 24 hours.

Special Qualities: Retains all Special Qualities of the Base Creature, and gains the following:

Dark Sight (Su): The Marked may see perfectly in any Darkness, even Magical darkness, or that created by Dieties.

Immunities: The Marked is immune to Poison, Sleep effects, Death effects, paralysis, disease, mind-Affecting effects, critical hits, non lethal damage, Ability Damage or Drain, Energy Drain, Fatigue and Exhaustion Effects, and death by Massive Damage.  The Marked is immune to any spell or effect that allows a Fortitude Saving throw. It does not breathe, eat, age, or sleep. If the Marked is destroyed somehow the Darkness merely leaves the body unharmed.  Purely mental attacks affect the Darkness itself, not the possessed creature. 

Primordial Speech (Ex): The Marked can read, write, and speak all languages.  It does not need the Decipher Script skill as it can decipher virtually anything created after it in the world (which is nigh well everything).

Saves: Base Creature uses the Saving Throws for the Darkness instead of it's own.

Abilities: Base Creature gains the Ability Scores of the Darkness (except Strength).  If the Base Creatures Con or Dex are higher it retains them.  Str +20.

Skills: Base Creature uses the Skills listed for the Darkness instead of it's own.

Feats: Base Creature gains any Feats the Darkness has.

Challenge Rating: +6, with an additional +1 for every 3 HD gained.

Treasure: Unchanged.

Alignment: Neutral Evil.

Advancement: n/a

Example of creature using template here:

Khalid
                      Commoner 5/Marked by the Darkness
                      Medium Humanoid (Human)
Hit Dice:             25d4+275 (337 hp)
Initiative:           +11
Speed:                30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class:          28 (+7 Dex, +11 Profane), touch 28, flat-footed 21
Base Attack/Grapple:  +25/+35 (+39 Manifested)
Attack:               Slam +35 melee (1d6+10+2d6 Profane)
Full Attack:          Slam +35 melee (1d6+10+2d6 Profane)
Space/Reach:          5 ft./5 ft. (10 ft./10 ft. when manfested)
Special Attacks:      Manifest, Frightening Presence
Special Qualities:    Dark Sight, Immunities, Primordial Speech
Saves:                Fort +36, Ref +38, Will +37
Abilities:            Str 30, Dex 24, Con 32, Int 18, Wis 23, Cha 32
Skills:               Bluff +28, Concentration +28, Diplomacy +27, Gather Information +27, Hide +32, Intimidate +28, Knowledge (Arcana, Dungeoneering, Geography, History, Local, Nature, Religion) +21, Listen +23, Move Silently +32, Search +21, Sense Motive +23, Spellcraft +20, Spot +23, Use Magic Device +28
Feats:                Endurance, Great Fortitude, Ability Focus (The Mark of Darkness, Envelop, Hand of Darkness, Frightening Presence) (B), Epic Reflexes (B), Epic Will (B), Improved Initiative (B), Iron Will (B), Lightning Reflexes (B)
Challenge Rating:     18?
Alignment:            Neutral Evil
Advancement:          n/a

Manifest (Su): When angered the Darkness will manifest itself, displaying it's power over Khalid.  Khalid becomes a shadowy version of himself 1 Size Class Larger.  it retains all the normal bonuses for being a bigger Size Class, but none of the penalties ro AC or to hit rolls.

Frightening Presence (Su): When Manifested and attacking the Darkness causes fear in any being with less hit dice than itself.  If any being within 30' has less Hit Dice it must make a DC 35 Will Saving Throw or be Frightened for 2d6 rounds.  If it is successful it is Shaken for 1d6 rounds instead, and does not need to save against this ability again for 24 hours.

Dark Sight (Su): Khalid may see perfectly in any Darkness, even Magical darkness, or that created by Dieties.

Immunities: Khalid is immune to Poison, Sleep effects, Death effects, paralysis, disease, mind-Affecting effects, critical hits, non lethal damage, Ability Damage or Drain, Energy Drain, Fatigue and Exhaustion Effects, and death by Massive Damage.  Khalid is immune to any spell or effect that allows a Fortitude Saving throw. Khalid does not breathe, eat, age, or sleep. If Khalid is destroyed somehow the Darkness merely leaves the body unharmed.  Purely mental attacks affect the Darkness itself, not the Khalid. 

Primordial Speech (Ex): Khalid can read, write, and speak all languages.  He does not need the Decipher Script skill as he can decipher virtually anything created after the Darkness in the world (which is nigh well everything).

Khalid was a simple beggar exiled into the forests for offending a vain noblewoman.  Possessed by the Darkness he has returned to the city causing chaos and destruction.  No one is certain how he gained his incredible power or why he seems to be of 2 fairly distinct personalities, but everyone agree he is utterly terrifying.

okay so it's not so much a Dunsanian pastiche as a brutal ripoff but I thought you'd like it.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 04:07:28 AM by bhu »

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 03:38:15 AM »
Jungle Ghost
Small Ooze
Hit Dice: 1d10+3 (8 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: Flight 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 11 (+1 Size), touch 11, flat-footed 11
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/+4
Attack: Grapple +1 melee touch (attach)
Full Attack: Grapple +1 melee touch (attach)
Special Attacks: Attach, Constrict (1d6 acid plus poison plus disease), Grappling
Special Qualities: Mindless, Ooze traits, Blindsense 60 ft.
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +0, Will +1
Abilities: Str 5, Dex 10, Con 16, Int -, Wis 12, Cha 2
Skills: -
Feats: Weapon Finesse (B)
Environment: Warm Forest
Organization: Solitary, Pair, Group (3-5), Swarm (10-40)
Challenge Rating: 1/2
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: -

"Wee do not go into that part of the jungle kind sir.  if you wish to travel there we will not stop you, but we do not pass by these warning posts."

In some jungles there are dark corners avoided by even the hardiest of warriors.  Rumors abound of flying apparitions of the dead that devour the living.  The truth is that they are simply large amoeba like predators.  And unfortunately for anyone entering their domain, they tend to be brutally efficient.  The semisolid substance making up their body is the perfect medium for bacterial and viral growth, and grappling one can be dangerous.  Especially since it will start to bore tendrils into your body by sweating an acidic substance at the tips of cilia it extends.  The means by which they fly is unknown at this time, but it doesn't appear to be magical.

Attach (Ex): Jungle Ghosts can make a touch attack to attach themselves to opponents, effectively grappling them.  It loses its Dexterity Bonus to AC while attached, and to remove it the opponent must Pin it in a Grapple or do enough damage to kill it (the opponent may Grapple with the Jungle Ghost or strike it with a Light Weapon).

Constrict(Ex): Jungle Ghosts do 1d6 acid damage with a successful Grapple check plus the opponent must make 2 Fortitude Saves against Poison and Disease.

Poison: Contact, Fortitude DC 13 (Save DC is Constitution based), initial and secondary damage 1d2 Con.

Disease: Injury, Fortitude DC 13 (Save DC is Constitution based), incubation period 1 day, damage is 1d2 Str and 1d2 Dex.

Grappling: Jungle Ghosts do not take Size penalties to Grapple checks, and have a +4 Racial Bonus to Grapple checks.  They may use Dexterity instead of Strength for Grapple checks.

Combat: Jungle Ghosts simply fly up and swarm opponents, grappling as soon as possible.  They have little to no tactical ability, and will flee if damaged badly.  It is thought that some post attack (i.e. infect victims, and wait for the disease/poison to wear them down before attacking again).

« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 10:59:46 PM by bhu »

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 03:38:43 AM »
Jungle Ghost Mob
Gargantuan Ooze
Hit Dice: 30d10+90 (255 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: Flight 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 6 (-4 Size), touch 6, flat-footed 6
Base Attack/Grapple: +22/+38
Attack: Mob (5d6 and Attach)
Full Attack: Mob (5d6 and Attach)
Space/Reach: 20 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Attach, Constrict (1d6 acid plus poison plus disease), Grappling, Expert Grappler, Trample (2d6-3, DC 22)
Special Qualities: Mindless, Ooze traits, Mob Anatomy, Blindsense 60 ft.
Saves: Fort +12, Ref +9, Will +9
Abilities: Str 5, Dex 10, Con 16, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 2
Skills: -
Feats: Improved Bull Rush (B), Improved Overrun (B)
Environment: Warm Forest
Organization: Solitary, Pair, or Gang (3-12 mobs)
Challenge Rating: 8
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: -

See DMG 2, page 59 for Mob traits

"You were fools to go into the jungle when we told you not to.  And now you have led them back.  We will be gone when they arrive, but as a reward for costing us all that we have, we will leave you here for them.  With your limbs broken so you cannot lead them elsewhere."

Attach (Ex): Jungle Ghosts can make a touch attack to attach themselves to opponents, effectively grappling them. In the case of Jungle Ghost Mobs, anything subjected to their Mob attack is also Attached. It loses its Dexterity Bonus to AC while attached, and to remove it the opponent must Pin it in a Grapple or do enough damage to kill it (the opponent may Grapple with the Jungle Ghost or strike it with a Light Weapon).

Constrict(Ex): Jungle Ghosts do 1d6 acid damage with a successful Grapple check plus the opponent must make 2 Fortitude Saves against Poison and Disease.

Poison: Contact, Fortitude DC 28 (Save DC is Constitution based), initial and secondary damage 1d2 Con.

Disease: Injury, Fortitude DC 28 (Save DC is Constitution based), incubation period 1 day, damage is 1d2 Str and 1d2 Dex.

Expert Grappler (Ex): A mob can maintain a grapple without penalty and still make attacks against other targets (normally, attacking other targets while grappling imposes a -20 penalty on grapple checks). A mob is never considered flat-footed while grappling.

Trample (Ex): A mob that simply moves over a creature and doesn’t end its movement with that creature in one of its occupied squares can trample the creature. A trampled creature takes damage equal to 2d6 points + 1-1/2 times the mob’s Strength modifier. The victim can either make an attack of opportunity against the mob or make a Reflex save(DC 25 + the mob’s Str modifier) to take half damage.

Grappling: Jungle Ghosts do not take Size penalties to Grapple checks, and have a +4 Racial Bonus to Grapple checks.  They may use Dexterity instead of Strength for Grapple checks.

Combat: Jungle Ghosts simply fly up and swarm opponents, grappling as soon as possible.  They have little to no tactical ability, and will flee if damaged badly.  It is thought that some post attack (i.e. infect victims, and wait for the disease/poison to wear them down before attacking again).

« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 11:04:08 PM by bhu »

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2011, 03:39:29 AM »
Winner of GitP Monster Competition XXX

The Mother of Teeth
Large Outsider (Extraplanar, Chaotic, Evil, Shapeshifter, Water), Psion (Telepath) 10, Wizard 10
Hit Dice: 30d8+10d4+10d4+500 (685 hp)
Initiative: +13
Speed: 50 ft (10 squares), Swim 150 ft.
Armor Class: 43 (-1 Size, +9 Dex, +15 Natural, +12 Profane), touch 29, flat-footed 34
Base Attack/Grapple: +40/+51
Attack: Tentacle +46 melee (1d6+7+2d6 Profane)
Full Attack: 8 Tentacles +46 melee (1d6+7+2d6 Profane)
Special Attacks: Aura of Madness, Frightening Presence, Manifest, Improved Grab, Caress, Sinful Touch
Special Qualities: Immunities, Dark Vision 60’, Bargain, Forbidden Knowledge, Unearthly Grace, Immortal, Telepathy, SR 45, Damage Reduction 25/Epic, Fast Healing 20
Saves: Fort +45, Ref +44, Will +52
Abilities: Str 25, Dex 28, Con 30, Int 25, Wis 28, Cha 35
Skills: Autohypnosis +28, Bluff +42, Concentration +44, Diplomacy +31, Gather Information +31, Hide +24, Intimidate +31, Knowledge (Arcana, Dungeoneering, Geography, Local, Nature, Psionics, Religion, The Planes, Things Man Was Not Meant To Know) +41, Listen +28, Move Silently +28, Perform (Sing, Dance) +31, Psicraft +26, Search +26, Sense Motive +38, Spellcraft +26, Spot +28, Swim +34
Feats: Combat Casting, Combat Manifestation, Combat Reflexes, Defensive Sweep, Improved Combat Casting*, Improved Combat Reflexes*, Improved Initiative, Master Manipulator, Mobile Spellcasting, Multigrab, Greater Multigrab, Power Penetration, Greater Power Penetration, Greater Spell Penetration, Spell Focus (Enchantment), Spell Penetration, Swim-By Attack, Enlarge Power (B), Extend Power (B), Quicken Power (B), Chain Spell (B), Scribe Scroll (B), Transdimensional Spell (B)
* Epic Feats
Organization: Unique
Challenge Rating: 30
Treasure: Triple Standard
Advancement: 31+ HD (Medium)

”I know what you’ve been up to with that book Daniel.  I tried it once meself when I was younger.  She always makes fine promises, but those promises don’t mean much when she comes for you.  I had someone who helped me once.  I’d return the favor if  I could, but I’m no Wizard.  Quit what you’re up to now boy, or lose your soul.  And maybe this world along with it.  I…I don’t want to hurt you.  I’ve looked after you since you’re momma passed away.  You’re like my own son.”

“But I’ll kill you if I have to…”

The Mother of Teeth’s origin is unknown.  Locked away on a watery Demiplane meant to be her prison she eternally schemes to one day escape out into the world again.  Who locked her away is unknown (although the Gods are a safe bet).  Not many beings even know she exists.  Her Demiplane is all but inaccessible to anyone, and she can only leave it temporarily if someone has bargained with her, and even then she only leaves long enough to devour them and wreak some local havoc. 

Her appearance varies significantly.  She has been depicted as a greenish woman with tentacled hair and mouths in her hands (or other places).  She has been shown as a mermaid with long tentacles instead of a fishes tail.  There are hundreds of other variations, but they all include tentacles, fanged mouths, and the face of a woman of unearthly beauty.  It is said anyone looking at her will fall in love with her, or at least lust for her.  Many go mad upon seeing her, and are locked away for the rest of their days, or commit horrible acts to weaken the bonds of her prison to be with her.  If they manage to do so, she devours them body and soul, and they forever remain a part of her (or so she claims).  Despite this, there are no shortage of volunteers once they have found out she exists.  Someone always seems to have problems, and she is always to willing to lend a sympathetic ear. 

Her cult (such as it is) actively works to create items that will let her communicate outside of her prison, or to print books that detail how to summon her if one is worthy.  Many wonder why she never consumes these cultists.  Some believe it's because they're of more use to her working for her outside, because she can gain far more victims this way than she would by people stumbling on her by blind chance.  Some think it's because she doesn't truly love them, so she doesn't devour their soul.  She has been very particular, never devouring anyone she didn't claim to love.  of course it's easy to be cynical about this once you know more about her.

It isn’t known exactly what kind of being she is.  A prominent necromancer once referred to her as a parasite who fed on the Gods, and her power seems to be dwarfed only by such beings and the most powerful Demon or Devil Lords.  Most go quiet when asked about her, and tell their worshipers it’s better off if they forget her name.  Many look towards the Far Realms when researching her, as she seems to have much in common with the inhabitants there, despite her extensive knowledge of humanity, and similar beings.  The possibility that an alien being of the Far Realms has a perfect understanding of people, while they have no understanding of her makes her even more frightening as she knows exactly how to manipulate mortals, but no one really understands her motives for doing so.  The Mother of Teeth speaks and understands all known languages.

Spells: The Mother of Teeth may cast spells as a Wizard of 10th level.  She can cast this many spells per day:

0: 6 (DC 17)
1: 6 (DC 18)
2: 6 (DC 19)
3: 4 (DC 20)
4: 4 (DC 21)
5: 3 (DC 22)
She knows most Divination, Enchantment, and Illusion spells, as well as any spells with the Chaotic, Evil or Water descriptors.

Psionics: The Mother of Teeth may Manifest powers as a 10th level Psion with the Telepath Discipline:

1: (DC 18) Mindlink, Missive, Psionic Charm, Sense Link, Telempathic Projection
2: (DC 19) Aversion, Brain Lock, Psionic Suggestion, Read Thoughts
3: (DC 20) Dispel Psionics, False Sensory Input, Mind Trap, Psychic Containment
4: (DC 21) Correspond, Implanted Suggestion, Psionic Dominate, Psionic Modify Memory
5: (DC 22) Cranial Deluge, Mind Probe, Psychic Crush, Shatter Mind Blank
She has 123 power points

Manifest (Su): If the correct sacrifices and rituals are performed the Mother of Teeth can physically Manifest in the Plane of her Summoner.  She is, of course, ever eager to teach these rituals.  She can Manifest for a period of 1 hour per point of Constitution possessed by the beings sacrificed to her in the final ritual.  If any of the rituals are interrupted, they must be begun again.  Each one requires the sacrifice of an intelligent victim of varying genders, certain magical materials of 1000 GP, and takes at least 1 hour.  At least 1 ritual must be performed every month for 1 year for her to Manifest.

Improved Grab (Ex): If the Mother of Teeth successfully hits with her Caress attack, she may immediately make a Grapple Check without provoking an Attack of Opportunity as a Free Action.  If successful she does her Caress damage each round.

Caress (Ex): The tentacles (and most of her bodily surface really) of the Mother of Teeth can sprout lamprey like mouths at will, doing massive trauma to victims. With a successful Grapple Check the Mother of Teeth begins to erode away her victims life, doing 1d6 Constitution Drain.  If her opponent has no Constitution, she Drains 1d6 Charisma instead.  If her opponent is immune to Ability Drain (for example Deities or Undead) she instead does 3d6 Vile damage.  Every round she successfully Drains a victim she temporarily gains a +1 to all rolls for 1 week.  This effect is cumulative.

Sinful Touch (Su): All Natural Weapon attacks, grapple checks, or unarmed strikes made by the Mother of Teeth do an additional 2d6 profane Damage. 

Aura of Madness (Ex): Any creature seeing the Mother of Teeth (living, dead, mindless, or otherwise) must make a DC 47 Willpower Save, or go insane.  At first it begins to show as mild nervousness and paranoia (-1 on all rolls), and an obsession with the Mother of Teeth.  Eventually the victim believes he is in love with her, although this usually comes after events of severe mental stress (possibly even orchestrated by her through her cultists), or a second exposure to her.  Eventually it will blossom into suicidal depression, and the desire to be with the Mother of Teeth.  Sometimes other forms of insanity occur (see Unearthed Arcana and Cthulhu d20 for ideas), but usually the victim becomes very obsessive compulsive, paranoid, and sees the Mother as the only being who truly understands him, or that he can relate too.  The idea of being removed from her presence forever causes suicidal depression.  With the exception of Miracle or Wish this effect cannot be cured.  Virtually all beings seeing her either summon her within a few years or die by their own hand.

Frightening Presence (Ex): Any living creature within 120' seeing the Mother of Teeth attack must make a DC 47 Willpower Save or end up Cowering for 2d6 rounds if they have fewer Hit Dice than her, or Shaken for 2d6 rounds if they have more Hit Dice.  If the Save is successful opponents with half her Hit Dice or less are still Shaken for the encounter.

Immunities (Ex): The Mother of Teeth is immune to damage from electricity, cold, and acid.  She is also immune to disease, poison, stunning, death effects, sleep effects, paralysis, petrification, polymorph, energy drain, ability drain or damage, critical hits, nonlethal damage, and Mind-Affecting effects.  She does not eat, sleep, drink, age, or breathe.

Bargain (Su): The Mother of Teeth makes a Bargain with her would be lovers.  She grants them a Wish (as per the spell), if they contract with her.  She may only perform one Wish per Bargain.  In return they must perform a series of sacrificial rituals that will open the Gates of her prison long enough to be with them.  Usually she mates with them, and devours them afterwards before returning to exile.  She devours them for a reason: they become a part of her, and worship her forevermore.  Eventually when she gains enough worshipers over the eons, she will gain Divine Rank.  This is important to her, as only a being with Divine Ranks can permanently release her from her prison, and no God will willingly do so.  She may cast spells or manifest psionic powers or use any Special Attacks she has on bargainers regardless of distance  once they have committed their first sacrifice in her name.  She uses this to enforce the Bargain after she has granted her Bargainers wish.  A Bargain can be broken by a Miracle or Wish spell, leaving the victim free of her influence, but he loses the benefits of whatever wish she previously granted him.

Forbidden Knowledge (Su): The Mother of Teeth has immense knowledge of things unknown to many, and is willing to share it for a price.  This is similar to the bardic Knowledge ability listed on page 28 of the PHB, but the Mother can be questioned on just about anything (she rolls 1d20+60).  If she can't get  someone petitioning her for knowledge to agree to a Bargain (if they know enough to ask her questions, they know enough to avoid looking at her and contact her in another way), she will demand that they assist her cult in her plans in some way.  Usually helping craft or rescue some item or steal an artifact of some significance, or assist in the rituals to summon her.

Unearthly Grace (Su): The Mother of Teeth adds her Charisma Modifier as a Profane Bonus to Saving Throws and to Armor Class.

Immortal (Ex):  The Mother of Teeth is older than the current universe, and cannot be destroyed permanently by any being who does not have Divine Rank.  Should she be destroyed she will regenerate to full power inside her prison over a period of several decades.  Beings who temporarily destroy her still gain full XP, but have made a very powerful, and very permanent enemy.

Telepathy (Su): The Mother of Teeth has Telepathy 1 Mile.  If someone has entered into a Bargain with her, her range is nigh well infinite.  She can contact him from virtually any distance, and even across dimensions from her prison.  She may also telepathically contact anyone who fails a Save against her Aura  of Madness once per month for up to 5 minutes at any range as well, usually in the form of a dream.  She uses this ability to prod people into further insanity, and to eventually Bargain with her.

Skills: The Mother of Teeth has a +8 Racial Bonus to Swim Checks, and can always Take 10 on a Swim Check.  She may use the Run action while swimming in a straight line.

Combat: The Mother of Teeth usually  attempts to Grab and finish off opponents.  Her spells and Psionics are occasionally used in combat, but she prefers to use them to intimidate and terrify.  Unless she's vastly outnumbered or outpowered she really does prefer the physical approach.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Lore
Characters with ranks in Knowledge (The Planes) or Knowledge (Things Man Was Not Meant To Know) can learn more about the Mother of Teeth. When the character makes a skill check, the following lore is revealed, including the information from lower DCs.

DC|Lore
60|The Mother of Teeth is a rarely encountered being of vast power, neither God nor Demon, who seduces men and eats them.  She is unsafe to look upon.  Her cult is small, but significantly more decadent than even the worst demon worshipers. 
65|She claims to love all her victims, and the ones who she devours forever remain a part of her.  She will bargain with anyone, and give them power in exchange for them letting her out of her prison some day.  She contacts people through artifacts created by her cult.  Usually crystals, gems, or mirrors.  Any kind of reflective surface.  Any being looking upon her risks madness and permanent obsession with the Mother of Teeth.
70|The Mothers ultimate goal is to leave her prison and she requires a certain number of souls to do this.  How many exactly isn’t known, maybe not even to her. Making a Bargain with her leaves you vulnerable to her powers until the Bargain is filled, at which point you will be eaten.

Plot Hook
  • A local noble has begun acting oddly after finding an artifact of some kind in ruins during his travels, demanding odd things of his retainers who have asked the PC’s to intervene behind the scenes because they think he may have been possessed.  The truth is of course, far worse.  He has fallen in love with the Mother of Teeth, and has begun the Rites necessary to let her enter our world.
  • The PC's come across a city that appears to have been in the midst of some sort of strange apocalyptic event.  Bodies line the streets with strange marks on them, and the flies and other insects won’t touch them.  Slime seems to cover them and much of the area, and it sticks to the PC’s if they touch it for days.  In a few hours the bodies begin to rot and crumble away, and many of the buildings begin to decay too.  It’s like something just sucked the life from the place.  Sitting in the middle of the city is a crystal sphere perfectly unblemished.  People in the next city refuse to talk about it, and they appear to be packing up and fleeing.  No one will talk to or associate with the PC’s if they mention they came through the city, and many make signs against evil towards them.
  • One of the PC’s has some major problems he can’t solve, and is starting to crumble emotionally.  A beggar covered in lesions offers him a book, and upon opening it he discovers that it’s a text about a legendary creature from outside our reality called the Mother of Teeth.  A creature who will solve any problem, for a price.  If the PC has any paranoia at all, he’ll know something is very, very wrong about this.
  • A brutal Orc warlord is ravaging the land, leading an army of horrifying monstrosities against everyone, even other tribes of his own people.  Hired to investigate, the other Orcs tell them he’s gone mad, and fallen in love with a demon who supplies him with magical powers and armies of things from other worlds.  But why she is doing it, or chose him they don’t know.  They do know she contacts him through a mirror of some kind.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 12:06:18 AM by bhu »

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 04:41:34 AM »
Winner o' Gitp Monster COmpetition XXXV

False God
Large Outsider  (Evil, may also be Lawful or Chaotic, Abomination)
Hit Dice: 40d8+360  (680 hp)
Initiative: +15
Speed: 50 ft (10 squares), Climb 50 ft., Swim 50 ft., Burrow 50 ft., Fly 50 ft. (Perfect)
Armor Class: 45 (-1 Size, +7 Dex, +13 natural, +16 Deflection), touch 32, flat-footed 38
Base Attack/Grapple: +40/+50
Attack: Annihilate +46 Melee or Ranged Touch (Annihilation, see below)
Full Attack: Annihilate +46 Melee or Ranged Touch (Annihilation, see below)
Special Attacks: Annihilation, Spell-Like Abilities, Domain, Divine Aura
Special Qualities: Abomination Traits, Fast Healing 20, Regeneration 20, SR 42, DR 40/Epic, Energy Resistance (Acid, Cold, Electricity, Fire, and Sonic) 20, Dark Vision 240’, Divine Power
Saves: Fort +47, Ref +45, Will +47
Abilities: Str 22, Dex 25, Con 29, Int 26, Wis 28, Cha 43
Skills: Bluff +50, Concentration +45, Diplomacy +50, Gather Information +50, Intimidate +50, Knowledge (Arcane, Geography, History, Local, Religion, The Planes) +42, Listen +43, Search +42, Sense Motive +43, Spellcraft +42, Spot +43, Use Magic Device +50, any three other skills at 36 ranks
Feats: Blind-Fight, Blinding Speed, Boost Spell-Like Ability, Combat Reflexes, Empower Spell-Like Ability, Heighten Spell-Like Ability, Improved Combat Reflexes, Improved Initiative, Intimidating Strike, Master Manipulator, Maximize Spell-Like Ability, Quicken Spell-Like Ability, Superior Initiative, Violate Spell-Like Ability
Challenge Rating: 30
Alignment: Any Evil
Advancement: 41+ HD (Large)

” The Gods visit the sins of the fathers upon the children.“

Occasionally a Deity mates with another powerful Outsider, or being of some power.  Or perhaps if it is powerful enough it's dreams and emotions take up a life of their own.  There are many theories on the origins of the False Gods, but there are only 2 consistencies to all of them:

The Gods are responsible for their creation, and their continued existence.

They are irredeemably vain, sociopathic, and without mercy. 

A False God wanders the Planes until it finds a suitable niche somewhere far from the attentions of it's Divine parent, and begins to try to set itself up as a God by the use of it's magical abilities.  It is believed they wish to convert worshipers away from the true Gods in a bid to usurp their power, although it isn't likely they have a real chance of doing this.  At least it's widely  assumed that this or just a blatant attempt to grab power in the material world is their goal.

Of equal concern and controversy is why their parents do nothing to stop them.  At least not directly.  Some Gods have subtly backed mortal champions who have undertaken missions to defeat their more evil progeny.  Some have been spectacularly less than subtle.  But none of them have ever personally raised a hand to smite one of their children despite their being so viciously sadistic.

it is also unknown exactly why their progeny are so vile.  For Evil deities their children being murdering, manipulative monsters comes as no surprise.  But what cause the children of Good deities (and whatever they mated with) to be so unconscionably foul?  There are even rumors of a seductress of some power who personally hopes to defeat the Gods with their own sons and daughters. 

False Gods can generally appear as almost anything they like with their ability to Shapechange.  They often appear as a member of whatever race they are attempting to influence, or at least in a form that they would find attractive or comfortable.  But in moments of great anger or frustration their true nature bubbles to the surface, and they momentarily lose control and appear as some sort of ever shifting monstrosity.  False Gods speak all known languages.

Annihilation (Ex): Mortal beings cannot withstand the assaults of a False God.   As a Standard Action the False God can make a Melee or Ranged Touch Attack (range is 240’).  If the attack is successful, and the victim has no Divine Rank, he must make a DC 46 Willpower Save or Die.  If the Save is successful he instead takes 10d6 untyped damage.  If the opponent has Divine Rank and the attack is successful it instead does 3d6 plus the False Gods Charisma Modifier.  The exact appearance of the attack varies from False God to False God, and can look like virtually anything (however they all operate the same mechanically).

Spell Like Abilities (Sp): False Gods may cast the following at will as Spell-Like Abilities: Heal, Limited Wish, Mass Charm Monster, Mass Cure Serious Wounds, Shapechange.  Caster Level is equal to Hit Dice.

Domain (Su): False Gods have access to one Domain associated with their Divine Parent.  They may cast any Domain spell of 6th level or lower at will as a Spell-Like Ability.  7-8th level Domain spells can be cast 3/day as a Spell-Like ability, and 9th level spells 1/day.  Caster Level is equal to Hit Dice.  It can use the Domain Ability at will, Cleric Level is equal to it’s Hit Dice.

Divine Aura (Su): Any being within 100' is affected by the False Gods Divine Aura if they fail a DC 46 Willpower Save (Save DC is Charisma Based).  If they succeed they are immune to this False Gods Aura for 24 hours.  If they fail they are subject to the Aura's effects for the duration of the encounter and for 1 hour after.  The False God can use one of the following effects.  It is born able to use this effect and cannot change it later:

Fear: All beings in the Area of Effect are Shaken.

Love: All beings in the Area are Charmed as if by a Charm Person spell.

Bedazzlement: Opponents are Fascinated.

This is a Mind-Affecting Effect. Beings with a Divine Rank or more Hit Dice than the False God are immune to this ability.

Abomination Traits False Gods are immune to Death by Massive Damage, Polymorph, Petrification, Energy Drain, Ability Drain/Damage, or Mind-Affecting Effects.  They also have Blindsight 500’, Telepathy 1000’, Nondetection, and True Seeing at will.

Regeneration (Ex):  False Gods cannot Regenerate damage done by weapons of opposing alignments.  For example a Lawful Evil False God cannot regenerate Chaotic or Good damage.  It also cannot regenerate damage done by the spells cast by Clerics of it's Divine Parent.

Immunities : Immune to disease, stunning, sleep effects, poison, Death Effects, and Disintegration.

Divine Power (Su): False Gods get a Deflection Bonus to their AC, and a Profane Bonus to their Saving Throws equal to their Charisma Modifier.

Skills: The False God has a +12 Racial Bonus on any 3 Skills associated with it’s Divine Parents Domains or Portfolio.

Combat: False Gods attempt to hide their nature as long as possible using their spell like abilities to pretend to be priests or wizards.  But if something should actually harm them or upset their plans, they will be quick to use their Annihilation ability.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Lore
Characters with ranks in Knowledge (Religion) may have heard the stories about the False Gods. When the character makes a skill check, the following lore is revealed, including the information from lower DCs.

DC|Lore
50| The False Gods are Abominations, children of a Deity and a Lesser (possibly mortal) being (this reveals all Abomination traits).  False Gods are incredibly powerful and can kill with a gesture if necessary.
55| The False Gods are utterly Evil, and driven to destroy their parents by trying to replace them in the hearts of their worshipers.  They are vulnerable to the Clerics patronized by their Divine Parent.
60| The Gods themselves will not personally attack the False Gods, but they will back mortal champions who do so.   

Plot Hook
  • The PC's have been asked to find out what's behind raids in the local desert.  Defeating the bandits, they stealthily follow them to their lair, and find a camp built around an oasis on no maps they know of.  What lurks in the pool can only be called an abomination before the Gods.  A monstrous violation of nature.  Fleeing back to their city bound employers they make ready to lead an assault that may well be the death of them all.
  • Animals in a nearby forest have been somehow picking off the villages one by one.  Eventually the PC's find a deserted town filled with the staring malignant eyes of what should be dumb beasts gazing at them from every cranny.  After enduring countless assaults from animals far craftier than they should be, the PC's venture into the forest to find the source of their discomfort, and find waiting for them a thing that demands to be worshiped on pain of their deaths.
  • The High Temple of Pelor has been destroyed by what appears to be a rival God.  A God with...less than benevolent intentions.  A God who claims to have defeated Pelor and replaced him as deity of the Sun.  All of the priests are dead so there is no one to say otherwise.  The PC's have been asked to find out what has happened.  If they can escape the city.
  • The PC's rescue what appears to be a lone woman surrounded by a gathering of Druids.  The Druids seem to give up a little too easily, perhaps even without combat.  And long after they have left the forest, the PC's new traveling companion begins to exhibit certain powers.  Powers that suggest that perhaps she never needed the PC's help.  Powers that suggest they may have been wrong in 'rescuing' her.  But how can they find out what her intentions are now?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 12:07:24 AM by bhu »

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2011, 04:47:02 AM »
http://i308.photobucket.com/albums/kk344/reikon_taberuhito/Creatures/1246615495081.jpg

Elder Terror, Divine Rank 0
                      Huge Outsider (Aquatic)
Hit Dice:             50d8+400 (800 hp)
Speed:                100 ft. (20 squares), Swim 100 ft.
Armor Class:          50 (-2 Size, +1 Dex, +8 Deflection, +23 Natural, +8 Profane), touch 25, flat-footed 49
Base Attack/Grapple:  +50/+68
Attack:               Bite +58 melee (2d6+10 plus Corruption)
Full Attack:          7 Bites +58 melee (2d6+10 plus Corruption)
Space/Reach:          15 ft./15 ft.
Special Attacks:      Improved Grab, Soul Leech, Spells, Aura of Terror, Corruption
Special Qualities:    Dark Vision 60', Amphibious, Regeneration 10, SR 35, Damage Reduction 10/-, Damage Reduction 30/Epic, Energy Resistance 25 (Acid, Cold, Electricity, Fire, Sonic), Blindsight 240', Immunities
Saves:                Fort +35, Ref +28, Will +35
Abilities:            Str 30, Dex 12, Con 26, Int 26, Wis 26, Cha 26
Skills:               Bluff +58, Concentration +61, Diplomacy +20, Gather Information +58, Hide +46, Knowledge (Arcana, Geography, History, Local, Nature, The Planes, Religion) +61, Listen +61, Search +58, Sense Motive +58, Spellcraft +61, Spot +61, Swim +18
Feats:               Augment Summoning, Defensive Sweep, Empower Spell, Extend Spell, Heighten Spell, Large and in Charge, Multigrab, Spell Focus (Conjuration), Spell Penetration, Greater Spell Focus (Conjuration), Greater Spell Penetration, any 6 Metamagic or Spellcasting Feats
Environment:          Any Aquatic
Challenge Rating:    56
Treasure:             Triple Standard
Alignment:            Always Chaotic Evil
Advancement:          51-100 HD (Gargantuan) 101-200 HD (Colossal)

"There are mistakes buried by the Gods that shouldn't be unearthed again.  Abandon your quest, for it will doom us all.  The trenches of the Black Sea are avoided for a reason."

The Elder Terrors are (according to legend) imprisoned by the Gods.  Whether for disobeying them, or opposing them, or for being creations that turned out to be failures is unclear.  None of these seems truly likely as even though they are powerful, the Terrors aren't on the level of Deities, and given their nature it doesn't seem likely the Gods would have made them either.  Nor do they seem to have the disposition of servants, willing or otherwise. 

Which leaves the older rumors saying they came from a world before this one.  But if that's true, why didn't the Gods eliminate them?  Why imprison a danger such as the Terrors, making their release an inevitable possibility? 

Improved Grab(Ex): If an Elder Terror successfully hits with it's Bite attack, it may immediately make a Grapple Check as a Free Action without making an Attack of Opportunity.  If successful it may use it's Soul Leech ability.

Soul Leech(Ex): The Elder Terror does 1d4 Wisdom Drain with a successful Grapple Check.  If it's opponent is ever reduced to 0 the Elder Terror has the option to immediately use it's Corruption ability (the opponent gets no Save) or the opponent can be killed and cannot be Resurrected.  The opponent does not get a Saving Throw against this effect.

Spells: An Elder Terror may cast spells as a Wizard whose caster level is equal to it's Hit Dice.

Aura of Terror(Ex): Anything within 120' of the Elder Terror when it Charges or casts a Spell must make a DC 43 Willpower Save or be Frightened for 2d6 rounds.  Any opponent making the Save is immune to this Elder Terrors Aura for 24 hours.  Opponents who do not have Divine Rank are not immune to this effect, even if they are normally immune to Fear.

Corruption(Ex): The Elder Terrors corrupt and change everything within their vicinity.  The land and water for 100' around them becomes unsustaining for normal life after about a month.  This effect spreads at 100' per month until it covers a mile in radius.  The plants eventually become bizarre and freakish, and anything eating them or drinking the water must make a Fortitude Save or be poisoned.  Ingestion, DC 18, Initial and Secondary Damage is 2d6 hit points and Corruption.  Corruption begins as mental, with the subject becoming progressively insane.  If three Saves against the poison are failed, the victim becomes Chaotic Evil.  After this the changes become physical resulting in hideous mutations.  After three more Saves the victim gains the Half-Farspawn Template.  Should an opponent actually physically attack an Elder Terror with an Unarmed Strike, Grapple, or Natural Weapon (or be attacked by it's Bite attack) it must make a DC 43 Fortitude Save or immediately gain the Half-Farspawn Template and altered Alignment.  Opponents who do not have Divine Rank cannot be immune to this effect, even if normally immune to magical poisons.  If an opponent succumbs to the mental effects of Corruption it immediately falls under the control of the Elder Terror.

Regeneration (Ex): The Elder Terrors Regeneration doesn't work against untyped damage.

Immunities (Ex): Elder Terrors are immune to polymorph, petrification, or any power/effect that would alter their form that isn't voluntary.  They are also immune to Energy Drain, Ability Drain/Damage, and Mind-Affecting Effects.  They are Immortal, and do not require food, water, or sleep, and do not age.

Combat: Elder Terrors generally rely on lots of spellcasting, using their Improved Grab and Soul Leech on anything insane enough to try to get within melee reach of them.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2011, 04:48:13 AM »
http://www.erbzine.com/mag17/1787.html

Ghoul
                      Medium Aberration
Hit Dice:             1d8+1 (5 hp)
Speed:                35 ft. (7 squares), burrow 5 ft.
Armor Class:          12 (+1 Dex, +1 Natural), touch 11, flat-footed 11
Base Attack/Grapple:  +0/+3
Attack:               Claw +3 melee (1d6+3)
Full Attack:          2 Claws +3 melee (1d6+3) and 1 Bite -2 melee (1d6+1)
Special Attacks:      Frightful Presence, Improved Grab, Worry, Carrier
Special Qualities:    Dark Vision 60', Reverse Evolution, Light Sensitivity, Scent, Corpse Eater, Half damage vs Physical Ranged Attacks
Saves:                Fort +3, Ref +1, Will +4
Abilities:            Str 16, Dex 13, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 6
Skills:               Climb +5, Hide +5, Jump +9, Listen +4, Move Silently +5, Search +4, Spot +2, Survival +6
Feats:                Great Fortitude
Environment:          Underground
Organization:         Solitary, Group (2-6), or City (potentially millions)
Challenge Rating:     1
Alignment:            Always Neutral, with tendencies towards Evil
Advancement:          By character class (usually Scout)
Level Adjustment:     +6

“It was a colossal and nameless blasphemy with glaring red eyes, and it held in bony claws a thing that had been a man, gnawing at the head as a child nibbles at a stick of candy. Its position was a kind of crouch, and as one looked one felt that at any moment it might drop its present prey and seek a juicier morsel. But damn it all, it wasn’t even the fiendish subject that made it such an immortal fountain-head of all panic—not that, nor the dog face with its pointed ears, bloodshot eyes, flat nose, and drooling lips. It wasn’t the scaly claws nor the mould-caked body nor the half-hooved feet—none of these, though any one of them might well have driven an excitable man to madness.”

Frightful Presence (Ex):  There are three ways to do this.  In a traditional DnD campaign, when the Ghoul attacks an opponent whose Hit Dice is equal to or less than his own, that opponent must make a DC 10 Willpower Save (Save DC is Charisma Based with a +2 Racial Modifier) or be Shaken for the duration of the encounter.  In a more horror oriented campaign he would make the same Save or be Frightened for 1d3 rounds.  In a traditional cosmic horror campaign you would use some sort of Sanity rules (which I will have forthcoming).

Improved Grab (Ex):  If the Ghoul successfully attacks with it's bite attack it can immediately make a Grapple Check as a Free Action without provoking an Attack of Opportunity.  If successful it can Worry.

Worry (Ex): The Ghoul does 1d6 plus one and a half times Strength Modifier damage with a successful Grapple Check.

Carrier (Ex): Ghouls may be immune to parasites and disease, but humans who come into contact with them after they've been wallowing in liquefied corpses should be wary of infection.  Anyone damaged by a ghouls claws or bite must make a Fortitude Save (DC is 10 plus half hit dice plus Constitution modifier) or acquire a random disease (see d20 Modern SRD or DMG for examples).

Reverse Evolution (Ex):  Humans seem susceptible to the ghoulish lifestyle.  Whether this is because human beings have interbred with them, or ghouls are a human mutation is unknown.  Ghouls have been rumored to leave their young with humans, only to have them spontaneously metamorphosis later in life and join the ghouls.  Or perhaps they carry a disease that is responsible for their condition.  In either case, humans sharing food and living space with ghouls must make a Fortitude Check (DC 10 on the first day with an additional +1 for each successive day or start becoming a Ghoul.  Once the transformation begins there is no known way of reversing it, and it takes full effect within 1d4 days.

Light Sensitivity (Ex):  Ghouls are Dazzled while in bright sunlight or within the confines of a Daylight spell.  Infant ghouls are said to die from exposure to it, and older ghouls lose 1d6 hit points per full day of sun exposure.  These hit points can only be healed by magic, or by the Ghoul being removed from sunlight for a day.

Corpse Eater (Ex): Ghouls can consume just about any form of carrion, and are often awash in it and mold.  Because of this they are immune to most non-magical diseases, parasites, and fungal infections, or at least if they aren't immune they don't suffer ill effects.  They can also consume just about anything organic without real harm.

Skills: Ghouls have a +2 Racial Bonus to the following skills: Climb, Hide, Listen, Move Silently, and Survival.  They gain a +4 to Jump and Search Checks.

Combat: Ghouls are ambush predators if they aren't strictly eating the dead.  They prefer to attack at night or underground in circumstances that favor them instead of their opponents, and they try as best they can to outnumber them as well.  Most ghouls immediately close for melee as they have little or nothing in the way of weaponry, and their superior physical strength is an asset for grappling.

GHOUL

"You fool, Warren is DEAD!"

Ghouls are unpleasant, rubbery skinned humanoids covered in mold and dirt from their underground habitats.They have long claws for burrowing on their hands, though on their hind limbs have lengthened and thickened out into what resemble hooves.  Their faces have short snouts with flattened noses and remind many of dogs, or perhaps baboons.  They require their food to be raw and well aged so to speak (though some pursue cannibalism with vigor).  This has caused many of their communities to hate and war with humanity when they begin burying their dead in a manner to prevent the ghouls from reaching them.  They appear to have their own meeping language, and are highly individualistic much in the manner of humans.  No two colonies of ghouls are entirely alike.  Some consider humans brothers, some consider them hated enemies or food, some are witch cults or apatheists, and their level of technology while poor does have much variation.  Some are even accused of switching children with humans.  There are also minor physical variations as some are barely upright, and some can mingle among humans in very heavy clothing (though these may be human coverts).  One thing that doesn't change is their hatred of the Ghasts and Gugs, whom they will eagerly cooperate with others to destroy (at least temporarily).

GHOUL RACIAL TRAITS
·   +6 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Con, +4 Wis, -4 Cha
·   Size Class: Medium
·   Type: Aberration, giving them 60 ft. Darkvision
·   Base land speed 35 ft.
·   Burrow speed 5 ft.
·   Frightful Presence (Ex): There are three ways to do this.  In a traditional DnD campaign, when the Ghoul attacks an opponent whose Hit Dice is equal to or less than his own, that opponent must make a DC 10 Willpower Save (Save DC is Charisma Based with a +2 Racial Modifier) or be Shaken for the duration of the encounter.  In a more horror oriented campaign he would make the same Save or be Frightened for 1d3 rounds.  In a traditional cosmic horror campaign you would use some sort of Sanity rules (which I will have forthcoming).
·   Improved Grab (Ex):  If the Ghoul successfully attacks with it's bite attack it can immediately make a Grapple Check as a Free Action without provoking an Attack of Opportunity.  If successful it can Worry.
·   Carrier (Ex): Ghouls may be immune to parasites and disease, but humans who come into contact with them after they've been wallowing in liquefied corpses should be wary of infection.  Anyone damaged by a ghouls claws or bite must make a Fortitude Save (DC is 10 plus half hit dice plus Constitution modifier) or acquire a random disease (see d20 Modern SRD or DMG for examples).
·   Worry (Ex): The Ghoul does 1d6 plus one and a half times Strength Modifier damage with a successful Grapple Check.
·   Reverse Evolution (Ex):  Humans seem susceptible to the ghoulish lifestyle.  Whether this is because human beings have interbred with them, or ghouls are a human mutation is unknown.  Ghouls have been rumored to leave their young with humans, only to have them spontaneously metamorphosis later in life and join the ghouls.  Or perhaps they carry a disease that is responsible for their condition.  In either case, humans sharing food and living space with ghouls must make a Fortitude Check (DC 10 on the first day with an additional +1 for each successive day or start becoming a Ghoul.  Once the transformation begins there is no known way of reversing it, and it takes full effect within 1d4 days.
 ·   Light Sensitivity (Ex):  Ghouls are Dazzled while in bright sunlight or within the confines of a Daylight spell.  Infant ghouls are said to die from exposure to it, and older ghouls lose 1d6 hit points per full day of sun exposure.  These hit points can only be healed by magic, or by the Ghoul being removed from sunlight for a day.
·   Corpse Eater (Ex): Ghouls can consume just about any form of carrion, and are often awash in it and mold.  Because of this they are immune to most non-magical diseases, parasites, and fungal infections, or at least if they aren't immune they don't suffer ill effects.  They can also consume just about anything organic without real harm.
·   Scent (Ex): Identical to the ability listed in the MM.
·   Damage Resistance (Ex): Ghouls take have damage from all physical ranged attacks.
·   Ghouls have a Primary Claw attack doing 1d6 plus Strength Bonus, and a Secondary Bite attack doing 1d6 plus half Strength Bonus.  They get 2 Claw attacks and 1 Bite attack with a Full Attack. 
·   Ghouls have a +2 Racial Bonus to the following skills: Climb, Hide, Listen, Move Silently, and Survival.  They gain a +4 to Jump and Search Checks.
·   Automatic and Bonus Languages: Ghouls automatically speak Ghoul (and their native language if they're a human convert).  Bonus languages include those of any race living nearby (usually human).
·   Level Adjustment: +6
·   Favored Class: Scout

STARTING AGE
 Adulthood: 14
 Barbarian, Rogue, Sorcerer: +1d4
 Bard, Fighter, Paladin, Ranger: +1d6
 Cleric, Druid, Monk, Wizard: +2d6

AGING EFFECTS
 Middle Age: 175
 Old: 263
 Venerable: 350
 Maximum Age: +4d% years
 It's unknown if Ghouls actually die from old age.  They mature as quickly as humans (perhaps a little more so), but once they attain adulthood they age much, much slower.  The only real effect age has upon them seems to be a greenish cast to the skin, and maybe some slight loss of muscle mass (Ghouls do not take age related penalties to Physical Stats until venerable when they get -2 Str.

HEIGHT AND WEIGHT
 Base Height: Male: 5' Female: 4' 7"
 Height Modifier: +2d12
 Base Weight: Male: 200 lbs.   Female: 165 lbs.
 Weight Modifier: x (2d6) lbs.

GHOUL CHARACTERS
 If you need a PC for an underground or Dreamlands campaign, Ghouls are well made for it, and are commonly found in both places.  For a stealthy race that likes to ambush humans they are also quite physically powerful, so they do well as some combo of a melee and rogue.
 Adventuring Race: Ghouls are 'rugged individualists' in the truest sense of the word (at least most of them).  Most of them go on adventures to kill people who have stolen from them or discovered their race, though religious ghouls are often sent on Cult missions.  Some adventure because they have been exiled or are the last survivor of their pack.
 Character Development: Ghouls are well made for making Rogues, Rangers, Scouts, and Barbarians.  Their excellent physical stats make them decent gishes too as long as their spellcasting is wisdom based.
 Character Names: Ghouls tend to have human names (meaning they used to be human or were raised by them), or ones unpronounceable to humans.

ROLEPLAYING A GHOUL
 You eat dead things.  That's a pretty hard cultural prejudice for other races to overcome, since a lot of those dead things tend to be their relatives.  Your lack of hygiene due to your immunity to disease and parasites also puts them off because you tend to be a carrier.  Also most other races live in direct sunlight which is invariably fatal to you.  This doesn't mean cohabitation is impossible, but most Ghoul adventurers travel with other Ghouls or truly unique individuals.
 Personality: Ghouls tend to be direct and to the point, or maddeningly vague.  Either they're cannibalistic primitives who view all outsiders as evil, Cultist fanatics who need to murder outsiders to survive, or mystics who take advantage of their long lives to learn obscure knowledge and are so odd as to try the patience of Job.
 Behaviors: Ghouls are primarily concerned with food, shelter, and making sure no one learns of their existence.  All else is secondary.  So if you come upon one, you'd better speak a language he understands, and you'd better convince him you aren't a threat quick.  Otherwise he'll gut you and anyone else who comes looking for you. 
 Language: The Ghoul language has no alphabet (at least among modern day ghouls) and consists mostly of gibbering and meeping.  Humans who have not become a ghoul might learn to understand it over time but would have great difficulty speaking it.

GHOUL SOCIETY
 Most Ghouls have no civilization at all, and are barely above the level of apes.  They use tools but their underground life doesn't permit the development of human technology.  Small pockets of Ghouls end up in cults Devoted to the Old Ones (or occasionally an Outer God), and their local culture tends to be shaped by that.  Some have created cities with human slaves as cattle and sacrifices and iron age technology.  But usually those cities are short lived as other nearby powers annihilate them once hey are found.  More modern witch cults still remain underground and act as enforcers for their possibly human management.
 Alignment : Ghouls tend towards Chaos (they dislike lots of rules and are very carefree) and Neutrality (leave us alone and we won't bother you).  Religious Ghouls invariably tend towards Evil.
 Lands : Ghouls live in underground caverns beneath large cities where they can get the necessary amount of corpses to feed themselves without resorting to cannibalism too much.
 Settlements : In past times some Ghouls lived openly in cities ruled by cults of the Old Ones, but they were rare.  Many seem able to find their way to the Dreamlands, and prefer to go there, or to towns where people are not picky about how they bury their dead.
 Beliefs : Ghouls seem oblivious to religion, but scattered populations that live near Old Ones such as Nyogtha or Mordiggian often end up worshiping them or get drawn into witch cults.
 Relations: Ghouls vary in their relations to races.  If the ghouls are allowed to feast on the dead without problem, they may even see the races living above as friends or benefactors.  Races entombing their dead or cremating them may be seen as enemies because they are depriving the ghouls of food sources.  Most seem to hate humans, and may have subjugated them in small parts of the world in the distant past, but Dreamlands ghouls can be much more friendly.  Certain humans are also inexplicably drawn to Ghouls and seem to be accepted by them.  The Ghouls invariably hate the Men of Leng, Gugs, and Ghasts.

GHOUL ADVENTURES
·   The humans above have started burying their dead in steel sarcophagi meant to keep you out, and the few you have managed to open had bodies riddled with some sort of foul chemical and were inedible.  Obviously they have declared war, and you have volunteered to be part of the group sent to punish them.
·   A witch has moved into the town above and is pressuring the Elders to join her worship of some gigantic black thing that waits in the darkness.  Some of the Elders have fallen under her sway, and you have been tasked with finding out more about her.  Which will be no easy task.
·   Ghasts have been sighted in the local graveyard surface.  You don't know how they made their way here from the Dreamlands, but you know something needs done about them.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2011, 04:48:43 AM »
Deep One
                      Medium Monstrous Humanoid (Aquatic, Amphibious)
Hit Dice:             1d8 (4 hp)
Initiative:           +0
Speed:                30 ft. (6 squares), Swim 40 ft.
Armor Class:          12 (+2 Natural), touch 10, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple:  +0/+3
Attack:               Claw +3 melee(1d6+3)
Full Attack:          2 Claws +3 melee (1d6+3)
Special Attacks:      Frightful Presence, Spellcasting
Special Qualities:    Dark Vision 60', Immortality
Saves:                Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +3
Abilities:            Str 16, Dex 10, Con 16, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 10
Skills:               Bluff +1, Concentration +4, Diplomacy +1, Knowledge (Arcane, Geography, History, Nature, Things Man Was Not Meant To Know) +2, Listen +3 Sense Motive +1, Spellcraft +2, Survival +1, Use Magic Device +0
Feats:                Great Fortitude
Environment:          Any Aquatic
Organization:         Solitary, Group (3-8), or City (potentially millions)
Challenge Rating:     1/2 (CR equals HD if it can cast spells)
Treasure:             Standard
Alignment:            Usually Neutral Evil
Advancement:          Usually by Character Class (Factotum)
Level Adjustment:     +2

“I think their predominant colour was a greyish-green, though they had white bellies. They were mostly shiny and slippery, but the ridges of their backs were scaly. Their forms vaguely suggested the anthropoid, while their heads were the heads of fish, with prodigious bulging eyes that never closed. At the sides of their necks were palpitating gills, and their long paws were webbed. They hopped irregularly, sometimes on two legs and sometimes on four. I was somehow glad that they had no more than four limbs. Their croaking, baying voices, clearly used for articulate speech, held all the dark shades of expression which their staring faces lacked.”

Frightful Presence (Ex): There are three ways to do this. In a traditional DnD campaign, when the Deep One attacks an opponent whose Hit Dice is equal to or less than his own, that opponent must make a DC 10 Willpower Save (Save DC is Charisma Based with a +2 Racial Modifier) or be Shaken for the duration of the encounter. In a more horror oriented campaign he would make the same Save or be Frightened for 1d3 rounds. In a traditional cosmic horror campaign you would use some sort of Sanity rules (which I will have forthcoming).

Spellcasting: Deep Ones are dabblers, and their long lives allow them to learn many things.  Once their Intelligence is 16 or higher and they have at least 10 ranks in Knowledge (Arcana) or higher they can cast spells as a Wizard equal to their Hit Dice level.  They don't know any spells automatically, but they can learn them now.  If using a Call of Cthulhu style casting system, they normally know spells associated with the sea or Cthulhu.

Immortality (Ex): Deep ones are effectively immortal.  So long as they have sufficient food and water and aren't killed forcibly they will never die.  They are immune to non-magical diseases and aging effects.  Deep Ones are remarkable resistant, and instead of dying from starvation they will lose body mass until they can gain sufficient food to regain normal size.  Many Deep Ones with a steady food supply grow steadily larger with age.  It also means the Deep Ones tend to be knowledgeable about many things, and for each year of life after 50 they can change one skill from a cross class to a class skill.

Skills: Due to their long lives Deep Ones gain incredible bonuses to skills.  All Deep Ones have a +2 Racial Bonus to Listen Checks.  For every 50 years of age they gain a +2 Competence Bonus to three skills based on Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma.

Combat:  Deep Ones generally don't like to announce their presence, and when they attack they do it with overwhelming force of numbers to assure no one escapes to alert the outside world to their presence.  In the water they try to sink ships so they can get to the crew who will be more vulnerable in water.  On land they will summon monstrosities to help, send mobs of Hybrids, or use their magic and powerful strength to subdue and kidnap (or kill if necessary).

DEEP ONES

"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah-nagl fhtaga."

The Deep Ones are immortal fishlike beings living on the deepest parts of the oceans unless they have deals with a local human populace.  Despite having obvious gills they are capable of surviving on lands for long periods of time, and many live wit humans they have made a pact with.  Their immortality has allowed them to experiment with various magics and sciences, and almost all truly old Deep Ones know some form of spell.  Thankfully these are rarely seen on the surface as Deep Ones are said to grow larger with age.

They were an alien race that warred with the Elder things for domination of the Earth and eventually won.  Advanced magic (or tech if you prefer) has allowed them to experiment in interbreeding with other species (currently limited to Dolphins and humans that we know of) in an effort to conquer lands they would normally consider inhospitable.  They wish to convert humans as we can live in areas that would be unreachable to them.  Surprisingly they are following in the footsteps of the Elder Things and attempting to find ways to dominate the Shoggoths that were the cause of their enemies downfall.     

DEEP ONE RACIAL TRAITS
·   +6 Str, +6 Con, +2 Int, +2 Wis
·   Size Class: Medium
·   Type: Monstrous Humanoid, giving them 60 ft. Darkvision
·   Base land speed 30 ft.
·   Swim speed 40 ft.
·   Frightful Presence (Ex): There are three ways to do this. In a traditional DnD campaign, when the Deep One attacks an opponent whose Hit Dice is equal to or less than his own, that opponent must make a DC 10 Willpower Save (Save DC is Charisma Based with a +2 Racial Modifier) or be Shaken for the duration of the encounter. In a more horror oriented campaign he would make the same Save or be Frightened for 1d3 rounds. In a traditional cosmic horror campaign you would use some sort of Sanity rules (which I will have forthcoming).
·   Spellcasting: Deep Ones are dabblers, and their long lives allow them to learn many things.  Once their Intelligence is 16 or higher and they have at least 10 ranks in Knowledge (Arcana) or higher they can cast spells as a Wizard equal to their Hit Dice level.  They don't know any spells automatically, but they can learn them now.
·   Immortality (Ex): Deep ones are effectively immortal.  So long as they have sufficient food and water and aren't killed forcibly they will never die.  They are immune to non-magical diseases and aging effects.  Deep Ones are remarkable resistant, and instead of dying from starvation they will lose body mass until they can gain sufficient food to regain normal size.  Many Deep Ones with a steady food supply grow steadily larger with age.  It also means the Deep Ones tend to be knowledgeable about many things, and for each year of life after 50 they can change one skill from a cross class to a class skill.
·   Due to their long lives Deep Ones gain incredible bonuses to skills.  All Deep Ones have a +2 Racial Bonus to Listen Checks.  For every 50 years of age they gain a +2 Competence Bonus to three skills based on Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma.
·   Automatic and Bonus Languages: All Deep Ones speak R'lyehian.  Bonus languages include nearby races, usually Dolphin or Human languages.
·   Level Adjustment: +2
·   Favored Class: Factotum and their Racial Class

STARTING AGE
 Adulthood: 15
 Barbarian, Rogue, Sorcerer: +1d4
 Bard, Fighter, Paladin, Ranger: +1d6
 Cleric, Druid, Monk, Wizard: +1d6

AGING EFFECTS
 Deep Ones do not take the usual physical penalties for age, and do not normally die unless it is caused by violence.  Bonuses for aging for their race are represented by their Racial Class. 

HEIGHT AND WEIGHT
 Base Height: Male: 5' Female: 4' 7"
 Height Modifier: +2d12
 Base Weight: Male: 200 lbs.   Female: 165 lbs.
 Weight Modifier: x (2d6) lbs.

RACE CHARACTERS
 If you're playing a coastal or primarily aquatic campaign, and need some flexibility, Deep Ones are a good choice.  They have good casting stats (except charisma), and are quite strong physically.  So if you'd like a more up close and personal Wizard or a Gish they're a nice choice.
 Adventuring Race: Usually Deep Ones go on adventures to reacquire something that has been stolen from them, because their priesthood has asked them to, to perform scientific or magical experiments, or to gain personal power. 
 Character Development: Caster based off of Int or Wis are good for Deep Ones (as are gishes due to their Str).  Many multiclass and try various occupations over their long lives, and as a result are quite well rounded.  The few who stick to one class are usually quite well known by anyone wishing to study the skills or abilities that class gives.
 Character Names: R'lyehian is unpronounceable by humans and many other terrestrial races, so they often take more palatable names among the local language to deal with others.

ROLEPLAYING A DEEP ONE
 Your foremost goal is the triumph of the Old Ones whom you worship.  Second comes whatever personal obsessions you have to study that help alleviate the boredom that comes with eternity.  Sometimes these can get in the way of your religion, but not often or you will be ostracized by your fellows.  Many Deep Ones mingle only when performing communal rites with their priests, the rest of the time they devote to their own research.  Many form community groups to move into remote coastal areas and form cults among the local humans promising them good fishing and wealth.  Once the deal is accepted they begin forced marriage and interbreeding with the humans to lower their neighbors and replace them with Hybrids in their quest to undermine human society.
 Personality: Most humans would find the Deep Ones cold and emotionless, and to an extent they're right the Deep Ones are very alien to our culture and don't have much in common with us.  They are quite racist in many ways as they consider other races fodder or pawns, and do not feel emotions in quite the same way we do. 
 Behaviors: Deep Ones are loners, and don't much like the company of anyone they don't personally know.  Entities they do not know come in two types: more powerful than they are (threats), and less powerful than they are (food, slaves, cannon fodder, experiments).  Were it not for needing to sometimes accept dealing with other races to further their own goals humanity would likely never encounter them.
 Language: Deep Ones speak R'lyehian which is virtually impossible for humans to reproduce without significant bodily mutation or magic.

DEEP ONE SOCIETY
 Deep One culture is alien in the truest sense.  They do not look upon members of other races as sentient beings, and as such could be truly as evil beings.  They do not associate with one another and feel no need for company except to cooperate temporarily to fulfill the goals of their Gods (and being immortal their idea of temporary is much longer than ours).  Most have some sort of personal obsession or area of knowledge they study, some for all their lives, some changing every so often.  A popular obsession seems to be mastering the Shoggoths their enemies once ruled in an attempt to prove they can succeed where their opponents failed.  Another is finding a way to breed possible competitor races out of existence by means of interspecies mating.
 Alignment : Most Deep Ones tend towards Neutrality and Evil.  They don't associate much with others, mind their own business, and leave you be as long as you do the same.  However if you aren't explicitly a trusted ally, they don't really consider you a sentient being.
 Lands : All Deep Ones live in the sea, preferably in it's deepest parts.  It is unknown if they are present in seas other than the Atlantic or Pacific but it is possible.
 Settlements : Deep Ones rarely leave the ocean.  If forced to they will flee to either islands or coastal areas with access to water, or swamps.  Known cults exist in Polynesia, the western coasts of Central and South America, the Eastern coasts of the US, and they have a major city somewhere near Britain.
 Beliefs : The Deep Ones venerate Father Dagon and Mother Hydra, of whom descriptions are rarely if ever given.  It is assumed they are the eldest of the Deep One race, the spawn of Cthulhu (who is the primary Deep One God), or minor Old Ones.  It is possible they also worship many of the Great Old Ones as the seas appear to contain a significant number of them.
 Relations: The Deep Ones consider other races inferior as they are the chosen species of their Gods.  They do appear willing to conduct trade with humans and dolphins so long as interspecies mating is part of the process.  Children of this union manifest their Deep One heritage eventually and convert to their parents cause, so it is possibly a form of ethnic cleansing.

DEEP ONE ADVENTURES
·   You have been asked to begin converting a coastal human city to your cause.  Your goal is to lay in wait and hope bad weather or other misfortune allows you to approach a lone human with promises of power and riches.  In the meantime you can secretly study their culture and language in an attempt to understand them and make the process easier.
·   A local cult has had several important artifacts stolen and you have been asked by them to hunt down the pirates who are responsible.  You are asked to go alone or with a small group as discretion is necessary.  You'll all be killed if the elders find out.
·   You believe you have discovered the magics necessary to cause human women you impregnate to give birth to full fledged Deep Ones.  If this is true you can develop it in ways to wipe out their race.  But you need test subjects.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 07:43:43 PM by bhu »