Author Topic: [3e]Psionic Dominate vs standard immunity to mind affecting with no transparency  (Read 1869 times)

Offline Ryshin

• Spellguard of Silverymoon
    • View Profile
In a world with no transparency what blocks psionic dominate except for psionic protection from X and psionic mind blank?
If a not psionic monster got an innate immunity to mind affecting it's actually immune to psionic powers or just spells?
Does normal protection from X and normal mind blank protect from psionic dominate?
I believe in a world with no trasnparency psionic powers are countered only by something that clearly suppress or counter psionic powers and that's why spell resistance won't work but a friend of mine believe that since something like mind blank grant the ability to ignore/suppress the effect of a mind affecting spell and not the spell itself it even provide protection from psionic powers that result in a mind affecting effect because it's the result of the power/spell that counts and not the source like with elemental damage, a fire elemental would always be immune to any kind of fire both mundane, arcane or psionic because it's still fire.

In a world full of 5e players it's always good to know that i can always come here for confort from you guys,
Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 01:12:12 PM by Ryshin »
I didn't choose the min/max life, the min/max life chose me.

Offline TC X0 Lt 0X

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The TC Storywriter
    • View Profile
If a creature has Immunity to Mind-Affecting effects, then it is immune to any such thing with the descriptor, be it Magic, Psionics, or otherwise.
Mind Blank would block Psionic Powers with the Mind-Affecting descriptor because the spell specifies effects, which a psionic power is.

Of course, this all depends on how your DM rules the non-transparentency, as it is mostly a house rule anyways, or at the very least requires the DM to make considerations to the point where it basically is.
Im really bad at what I do.
A+

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
Course if nonpsionic mindimmune does not block psionic mindeffects, then you get opened to bs like nonpsionic fireresist does not orotect against psionic fire effects.
 :rolleyes

Offline Ryshin

• Spellguard of Silverymoon
    • View Profile
yeh but a creature immune to fire it's immune to the element itself and a psionic power or a spell create fire while any other kind of effect like domination it's manifestation of psionic power or magical power and i think it's different. Mind Blank would protect from magical effect either from object or spells but even object are created with magic so it protect from the mind control magical effect but it doesn't protect from the psionic mind control effect since it's completely different someone to be immune to psionic mind control would need psionic mind blank.
It's the same thing with the immune to death and energy drain effect, the subject is immune to all death spells, magical death effects, energy drain, and any negative energy effects but from magical source, to be immune from psionical death effects you'll need psionic death ward otherwise what's the point of the wotc introducing trasnparency in order to accomunate psionic and magic?
I didn't choose the min/max life, the min/max life chose me.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Magic/psionics nontransparency only means that things that specifically refer to spells only affect spells, not powers, and things that specifically refer to powers only affect powers. It doesn't mean that spell effects and power effects can't interact, just that effects that are specifically written to interact with one type of magic system only interact with that system and not all others.

Mind blank, for example, would prevent mind-affect powers because it provides protection against mind-affecting spells and effects, not just spells. It protects against any mind-affecting effect, regardless of whether it's a spell, power, non-magical extraordinary ability, or kooky homebrew ability. Likewise, resist energy and provide resistance/immunity to a type of energy damage, and don't care at all what the source of the damage is. They'll protect equally well against the fire damage from a fire shield spell, a fire elemental's attack, a lit torch, a fire energy missile power, etc.

On the flip side, dispel magic specifically deals with spells and magic items, so it would have no effect upon powers or psionic items in the same way that it has no effect on supernatural or extraordinary abilities. Similarly, detect magic specifically detects magical auras, so it won't pick up psionic auras.