Author Topic: High End OOC thread IV-End of minmaxboards  (Read 167647 times)

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
Re: High End OOC thread IV-End of minmaxboards
« Reply #180 on: November 01, 2017, 08:20:20 PM »
By "big" I was thinking "ceiling height".

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 01, 2017, 08:20:40 PM »
Yoko isn't much of a pilot, though. However, Gurren Lagann, specifically, may be called the land of no shirts. I'm pretty certain that's not normal. Pilot suits are a thing elsewhere. <.<
Given that the robots in TTGL are generally of the Super kind, uniforms may be more of a Real Pilot thing.

Also: oh snap, most of my levels are in Super Pilot. Hugo has just lost shirt proficiency!

Mazinger et al, Getter Robo, and Evangelion all have pilot suits of some sort or another. :P

Secondary question: how big is this room?

Kouji has piloted Mazinkaiser in nothing but a pair of speedos, and Domon Kasshu basically HAS to be naked to wear the controls for both Shining Gundam and God Gundam.

Shinji has also performed synchronicity tests fully naked, and arguably wears nothing under his skintight pilot suit. Meaning the suit is more for convenience's sake than a necessity for control.

(All EVA units are arguably real robots anyways, in scale and armament, so...)
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 01, 2017, 08:21:50 PM »
Yoko isn't much of a pilot, though. However, Gurren Lagann, specifically, may be called the land of no shirts. I'm pretty certain that's not normal. Pilot suits are a thing elsewhere. <.<
Given that the robots in TTGL are generally of the Super kind, uniforms may be more of a Real Pilot thing.

Also: oh snap, most of my levels are in Super Pilot. Hugo has just lost shirt proficiency!

Mazinger et al, Getter Robo, and Evangelion all have pilot suits of some sort or another. :P

Secondary question: how big is this room?

Kouji has piloted Mazinkaiser in nothing but a pair of speedos, and Domon Kasshu basically HAS to be naked to wear the controls for both Shining Gundam and God Gundam.

Shinji has also performed synchronicity tests fully naked, and arguably wears nothing under his skintight pilot suit. Meaning the suit is more for convenience's sake than a necessity for control.

(All EVA units are arguably real robots anyways, in scale and armament, so...)

Armament, maybe, but not scale. Things are inconsistent and absolutely gigantic.

Anyway, the point was less "pilot suits are necessary" and "the pilots can wear more stuff beforehand".

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 01, 2017, 08:40:18 PM »
I think people are missing the point.

Yes, you can pilot a mech if you wanted, and that's because the control interface is levers and buttons. But optimally you wear a suit. If the pilot's cabin's structural integrity were compromised the sudden decompression would cause the pilot's eardrums to blow deafening them, blood vessels in their eyes to pop blinding them, and the air rushing out of their throat would damage their vocal cords probably rendering them unable to speak even if they had the air to do it. And that's assuming gravitational forces remain intact otherwise you could risk a syncope episode even if the hull is undamaged which means the mech is defenseless and probably careening through space (or a populated area) out of control. Pilot suits are defense against that, often supplying supplemental oxygen, maintaining pressure support, and even adding constriction to lower extremities to prevent blood from pooling away from the head. And that's what they offer now, who knows what they could offer later (like modern's suits for example). So like wearing a hardhat & steel toe boots in a construction area: You don't need one to walk around, and certainly there is always that one guy that argues it's safe or he'll die so why bother, but you'd be retarded to pass up the chance to use them just in case of an accident.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 08:56:38 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #184 on: November 01, 2017, 09:18:02 PM »
If the pilot's cabin's structural integrity were compromised the sudden decompression would cause the pilot's eardrums to blow deafening them, blood vessels in their eyes to pop blinding them, and the air rushing out of their throat would damage their vocal cords probably rendering them unable to speak even if they had the air to do it.

That's Quess from Gundam jumping out from her cockpit to space just with her panties.

That's Quess a bit later, perfectly able to talk, no bleeding eyes, and no visible damage whatsoever.

The point is that in mecha shows rule of cool trumps rule of physics. Going out to a mecha battle in a bikini/dress/shirtless should be just as viable as wearing a boring plain space/pilot suit. Expect some actual rules for that in the near future.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 01, 2017, 09:29:01 PM »
I personally would not have used an image of a telekinetic newtype jumping into space as the pilot, clearing wearing some kind of space armor, yells at her for being stupid to try and help make my point, just saying.

(plus exhaling and curling into a ball is what you are supposed to do if you are put into a decompression environment to minimize damage, I'd give it bonus points for realism)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 09:34:43 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 01, 2017, 09:33:23 PM »
It does rather show that most people need to breathe. :lmao

Anyway, I reiterate my question about how tall the ceiling is. :p

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 01, 2017, 10:08:28 PM »
About 60 mu tall.

I personally would not have used an image of a telekinetic newtype jumping into space as the pilot, clearing wearing some kind of space armor, yells at her for being stupid to try and help make my point, just saying.
Quess is a newtype, but doesn't show any telekinetic ability, while Char had gone completely insane by that point, with the whole master plan of "let's blow up the Earth to save humanity, BUT first I'll help my nemesis get an upgrade to his mecha because it just won't be fun fighting him otherwise".

(plus exhaling and curling into a ball is what you are supposed to do if you are put into a decompression environment to minimize damage, I'd give it bonus points for realism)
Fascinating how you went from "going into space with no space suit will leave you blind, deaf and mute!" to "Meh just curl up and you'll shrugg it all off".

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 01, 2017, 11:23:06 PM »
Fascinating how you went from "going into space with no space suit will leave you blind, deaf and mute!" to "Meh just curl up and you'll shrugg it all off".
And I think it's fascinating how you consider a reduction to mean nothing.

It is possible to survive in space, decompression rate is one of the huge factors through. Like with optimal rates some chimps have be able to survive vacuum conditions (excluding temperature/radiation/etc) for up to three and a half minutes. It's not a binary deal and that's why NASA uses the buddy system for space walks, or that mecha pilot wearing space armor, or the nearly naked psionic chick closing her eyes to prevent her eyeballs from exploding. See also wearing your seat belt in a car or my previous statement
You don't need one to walk around, and certainly there is always that one guy that argues it's safe or he'll die so why bother, but you'd be retarded to pass up the chance to use them just in case of an accident.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 12:02:16 AM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 01, 2017, 11:25:37 PM »
I think he was talking about slightly less severe decompression scenarios than hard vaccuum.

I mean, in hard vaccuum, even before we consider how your internal pressure would blow you up from the inside out, the boiling point of most liquids drops DRASTICALLY. Your blood would literally cook you from the inside out.

But yes, in mecha shows rule of cool trumps pretty much everything.

It actually makes the case for why Saitama is stronger than Goku. Regular old Saitama gets punched into the moon by Boros. With only the air in his lungs as he lands, he manages to straighten himself up and jump BACK towards Earth on nothing but muscle power and badassery. Meanwhile, Goku needs at LEAST to get blue hair before he can even survive hard vaccuum.
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 01, 2017, 11:34:38 PM »
But yes, in mecha shows rule of cool trumps pretty much everything.
I don't think it's always the rule of cool but sometimes the lack of understanding.

Like most people think space is empty instead of being filled with deadly radiation, or while that manga artist thought of proper positioning they forgot temperature and how pressure affects the boiling point of liquids. Still better than an open helmet Batman or claiming Fireza can survive because he can breath in space through.

And sometimes internal logic covers things. Like in D&D extreme heat/cold caps at 1d6 elemental & 1d4 nonlethal per minute of unprotected exposure no matter the actual temperature (yet lava deals 20d6 per round of immersion) which makes it fairly easy to run around outside a ship. I should check Modern's rules through. And with a quick glance it seems that they treat radiation is a Disease, incubation(1day/4d6/3d6/2d6/1d6), DC (12/15/18/21/24), and damage (1d4-2/1d6-2/1d6-1/1d6/2d6) is based on level (slight/mild/high/severe) and duration (round/minute/ten minutes/hour/day) which makes this campaign's treatment of radiation (it's dual fire/bludgeoning) a more simplistic take on things. Long-term gravity effects (120+ hours) include 1d6/2d6 temporary Strength damage upon returning to normal gravity for Low/No gravity while high gravity works on Dexterity. They added a Save against "the bends" from decompression that adds +1 Con dmg when trying to hold your breath in space, and violent decompression scenarios actually deals around 2d6 damage to you as you slam around before you're ejected into space.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 11:50:08 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 02, 2017, 01:04:25 AM »
Ahem.

Plus the purpose of SRW d20 is having mecha fun and not to be a physics simulator. Think of the catgirls. If a player at your table complains, just say it's because of magic/extremely advanced SCIENCE!
and
Last warning, any more discussion about real world physics and the campaign will change to undead catgirl apocalypse.

It's been several months since the above post so I'll forgive you for forgetting. Once. I already get plenty to think about the exact properties of vacuum and other fine physics details in my daily job, I come here for a break from that.

On other note, assorted pilot clothings added.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 02, 2017, 01:08:30 AM »
Shirtless girls, huh? Time to take leadership.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 02, 2017, 01:25:34 AM »
Yay more stuff Moon Vanguard can't use -_-'

Sometimes I think I coulda done better. Then I remember I'm trying to stick to a theme here  :lmao

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 02, 2017, 01:29:53 AM »
Yay more stuff Moon Vanguard can't use -_-'
Good point, moon vanguard now specifically can use pilot clothing even with nano-armor on.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: November 02, 2017, 02:22:19 AM »
It also seems plausible that anybody should be able to use shirtless.

Hopefully. Feats for breathing are odd.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 02, 2017, 05:38:18 AM »
The mecha cannot have any armor or clothing for the benefits to be gained while piloting.

Hey Os, did you just imply that we can put bikinis on our mechas?  :lmao
(So long as the pilot doesn't wear pilot clothing)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 02, 2017, 06:51:16 AM »
You can, just like half the party suddenly was trying to buy armor for their mechas as well, but only pilot clothing on the actual pilot will grant benefits. :P

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 02, 2017, 10:42:45 AM »
Once. I already get plenty to think about the exact properties of vacuum and other fine physics details in my daily job, I come here for a break from that.
O.o
What do you do for a living?

On other note, assorted pilot clothings added.
Yeahee mechanical benefits encouraging nudity!
Captain Saber sweeps the skirt of her royal blue dress around bunching it up behind her in frustration before sharply giving the command to fire again and the Scimitar's weapons cut loose on the rapidly closing armada but it's no use, there are too many of them to take out with the cannons in time. Making a quick tactical decision she orders the remaining mechs to deploy and protect the ship. Moments before engagement she grabs the front of her dress and rips it away exposing her breasts to all of her crew on their view screens to aid her in Rallying her crew's moral and encouraging them to fight for her.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 01:00:13 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 07, 2017, 07:45:23 AM »
Once. I already get plenty to think about the exact properties of vacuum and other fine physics details in my daily job, I come here for a break from that.
O.o
What do you do for a living?
Research in assorted fields of nano physics. Last 4 years I've been literally spending more days setting up/calibrating vacuums for experiments than not.

Quote from: Raineh Daze
Size: colossal, or mecha-medium, IIRC. Which raises questions about how these mecha-fine maids can be giants, as that leaves them at normal medium size.

My bad, I misread my own notes when making the earlier post. :blush

That or unstable scale, as befitting a mecha show. :P
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 07:52:45 AM by oslecamo »