Author Topic: The Role of the Fighter in a Party  (Read 66413 times)

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
Re: The Role of the Fighter in a Party
« Reply #200 on: November 25, 2011, 04:56:38 AM »
There's a concept behind the Fighter class? All I see is an index card that says "Here's a bunch of bonus feats, good luck."

The concept was stupid. Stupid enough to work.
Hes closer to an Exalted(the game system) warrior archetype.

Parrying the ground and swordchucks are along the right lines.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline midnight_v

• It is good and fitting to die for the dice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 27, 2011, 10:29:53 PM »
There's a concept behind the Fighter class? All I see is an index card that says "Here's a bunch of bonus feats, good luck."

Same as with a mage "here's a bunch of spells"...

Whole things based on the relative power of feats.
"Disentegrate...gust of wind. Can we please get back to saving the world now?"

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #202 on: November 27, 2011, 11:14:25 PM »

Same as with a mage "here's a bunch of spells"...

Whole things based on the relative power of feats.

It's on the backburner for the moment, but one of the homebrew projects I'm working on is identifying the major fighter styles (sword & board, one handed, etc) and the feats combinations needed to make them work.  Then I was going to produce a series of fighter-only feats which used these as pre-reqs and augment their strength to something reasonable (tier 3 at least, if I remember your scale right).  It's really a band-aid, but I was thinking that this both makes such styles viable and gives the fighter something to do with its umpteen billion feats once it completes the needed feats for its particular style of choice.  Like you said, the wizard has plenty of winning spells but there aren't many winning feats for fighter, and certainly none which are actually for the Fighter itself.  The "exclusive" weapon focus/specialization chain is a joke.

I've not worked on it yet, but since its related: What sort of things would you like to see done if you could expand the current feats into something more meaty?
Mudada.

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 27, 2011, 11:28:11 PM »
Mostly, focus on bringing them up to T4 first, attaining basic needed functions(theres a whole bunch of flaws with each combat style), before shooting for T3. The fighter as is, can be pushed to T4 with increased feat power, but T3 requires a dramatic leap in versatility, and ability to deal with non-combat challenges in some way at least.

Chargers suffer from low AC(you want every bit of charge range you can get, so heavier armors present a problem, you want every bit of damage, so non-animated shields are out), but with a few feats, enjoy a larger number of multipliers to damage than most other styles. Getting access to pounce somehow is the alternative to the massively multiplied attack. Additionally, they face the simple hazard of charging across the field and potentially across multiple reach zones, especially for large creatures that out-reach them.

Thats just one, an its an already effective style(mostly because unless they survive your hit or if they have friends your nuked AC is not really a concern). For more you could start another thread.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 27, 2011, 11:34:42 PM »
The best defense for a charger is 20+ ft reach, combat reflexes and Stand Still. With 10 ft reach an enemy with 5 ft reach can 5 ft step and the 10 ft reach guy has to do nothing. But with 20 ft reach even enemies with 10 ft reach have to take a move from 20 ft away to 10 ft away in order to hit you, and Stand Still usually says "No".

Edit: This is actually one edge Psychic Warriors have. With Expansion, they can have 20 ft reach at level 1.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 11:37:56 PM by skydragonknight »
Hmm.

Offline Nachofan99

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 27, 2011, 11:52:25 PM »
Yes, Chargers love to have reach, all melee does. Standstill can be a great defense.  Definitely agree.  Psychic Warriors don't just have one edge, it's likely they have every edge except at lower levels.

Tower Shield Fetish Spoiler

(click to show/hide)