Author Topic: WoNPM OOC Chatter Thread  (Read 31869 times)

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
Re: WoNPM OOC Chatter Thread
« Reply #100 on: August 20, 2015, 05:45:56 PM »
No, no, clearly you'd be MY adviser. :P

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 21, 2015, 12:05:45 AM »
Did you just entirely disregard the entire party in favour of the fucking pony GMPC?

I'm out of this RP. Nigh on every roll has been inherently unreasonable for a level 5PC, no matter the check, and you've applied skill checks to such fundamental things as detecting sarcasm. Lo and behold, the first chance any player character has to interact with any NPC that doesn't outclass them by several levels, the pony steps forwards and solves all the problems before we get to take part.

I have no interest in playing a game that is 'watch the boring pony whose neck I'd snap the instant he looks away do everything for me'.

The checks are obscene, the NPC's are too high level, and we're three pages in and nothing I've been able to do makes a fucking difference. No matter what I've done, we've got out the boat, talked to/ignored a goddess, and been accosted by peasants. This isn't a roleplay. The players don't get to AFFECT anything in the slightest. Our actions don't get a damn ACKNOWLEDGEMENT.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 12:27:11 AM by Raineh Daze »

Offline Psysama

• Honorary Mod
  • Personal Pizza
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dnd-wiki.org
« Reply #102 on: August 21, 2015, 12:08:27 AM »
He came up and talked to you (Chases the Dot) and the whole mob individually greeted each of you.  It was just too much to type.
Signature here.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 21, 2015, 12:38:10 AM »
I apologise. I'm being unreasonable. I'm probably the first person to admit that I'm being angry and frustrated. But the current way things are going in-character, there's no place for the players. Every roll we've had to make thus far has been impossible for anything that isn't a ridiculously specified level 5. Now we've gotten beyond the problematic introductory stage, do us three that are still posting get to play a part in how things go? Er, no. The NPC pony does the speaking for us.

The RP's been up since, essentially, May. The PLAYERS have basically contributed nothing since then. It would be nice to, say, interact with the sudden NPC horde on our terms rather than Sparkly Pony's.

Offline Psysama

• Honorary Mod
  • Personal Pizza
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 21, 2015, 12:55:44 AM »
I am sorry.  I shall do my best to give you all more interaction (as I originally planned).  I was just in a hurry to get you guys to the main story line.  I am sorry.
Signature here.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 21, 2015, 01:02:54 AM »
sorry

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #106 on: August 21, 2015, 01:06:21 AM »
If I may butt in...

Psysama, Raineh's frustrations are valid.  As someone who is has been a DM for a while, may I provide some helpful advice?  It's time to go a bit meta here and talk about player agency and immersion.  I would say player agency, or at the very least the illusion of it, is one of the most important things you need to do as a DM.  What I mean by player agency is that the player needs to feel they are in control of both themselves and the world.  To a point of course... a player can't reasonably expect to waltz into the Kingdom of Badasses and just take the crown, but things which are reasonable should be in their grasp.  As part of this, you have to make sure the players also get the opportunity to interact with the world in a meaningful way because, well, we're the PCs.  We're the main characters, not background.

To that end, whenever running a DMPC you have to be really careful, because the DMPC isn't actually a PC, it's an NPC that is helping.  So as a DM it is always a good idea to err on having the DMPC be secondary at everything.  In this case, the situation presented is a problem: potentially hostile villagers have come to wreck our shit.  This is an encounter, right here, on the tune of combat encounters.  In fact it might BE combat, depending on how things go, but the important part here is that you've presented a problem to the PCs to solve: Solve the problem of the Angry Mob.

So, it's up to you as a DMPC to make sure to hold back on what the DMPC can do to let the players have a shot at it.  Fortunately you have a perfect excuse; this might be just my opinion, but Shining seems a milquetoast sort of fellow.  Charismatic, I'm sure, what with being a paladin and all, but not always extroverted.  He seems introverted.  Here is your perfect excuse to let someone else take the front lines, while you assist.  It's a minor thing, it might just be diplomacy, it might just be talking, it might be a fight, but the important part is that the PCs did it.  Here, we saw Bianca thought of hiding and Liz thought of diplomacy, and this is good cause it means we have lots of ideas to solve this problem.

Try to approach events in the idea of "Is there a problem?" followed by "How do the PCs solve this problem?"

Which brings me to immersion.  Actually, we haven't played very long so I don't know if the world is inconsistent.  Being strange and alien is fine as long as it is consistently like that, but it hasn't been very long.  Actually, you have a slightly different immersion issue which is easy to fall for, and it has to do with both the number and the value of the skill checks involved.

First the number.  You don't need to have as many skill check prompts.  Actually I'd advise you do what I do.  Unless they ABSOLUTELY need to (such as saying "You need to make a balance check now!"), don't prompt us.  At all.  We're smart cunning players.  If we're looking at the Mysterious Rock of Mystery, we're gonna cast spells, make Knowledge checks, Appraise that shit and all of it.  You can keep the DCs a mystery both so A) they don't know if they need to pre-buff to make it and B) they aren't interrupting the story.  Because every time we're reading a story, immersion is broken any time you go "Story story story MECHANICAL PARTS story story story".  You can't always avoid it, but you can minimize it.

I know this is text, so "Show, don't tell" doesn't technically apply, but think of the story part as "show" and the mechanical parts as the "tell" part.

Which brings me to the degree of the checks.  Dem numbers be crazy yo.  DC 50?  Really?  Mostly I just think you may not have a good scale of these things, much most things are DC 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, and maaaaaybe 40 for something really amazing.  Let me put it this way.  Elder Evils... the DC to know the unknowable see the unseeable row row fight the power?  Generally around DC 40.

For say, the neutronium thing.  I'd describe it's physical properties and not say "make a skill check".  If someone DID make a skill check, then you can say "this is X".  And the DC is probably just 30, AT MOST, or even just "impossible if you're not from a future world".  And even if you fail you can still get info.  "You don't know what new substance this is, but it's heavy, its weird, it does this and that...."  So while no, you don't know this is compressed starstuff you do pretty know all you need to know about it anyway, it's base properties.

Right now, you're bleeding players, and you can't afford that.  I think you can still pull up dude, plus I want to see Vampire & Scientist take over the universe, it looks like a funny plot we got going on here. 

See if you can just write (detailed preferably) paragraphs of fluff and action, and pretend the pony is just another NPC in there in whatever NPCs are on the scene.  And then leave it there, and see what happens with it.

I promise you, it'll work.

EDIT: Looks like more posts, glad to see you guys are talking.  I hope this helps you.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 01:10:46 AM by SolEiji »
Mudada.

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #107 on: August 21, 2015, 02:15:34 AM »
(Fun little science lesson while you wait.  Did you know that neutronium, if I could have a drop of it in front of you, is perfectly clear?  The neutrons don't interact with photons almost ever.  Of course, neutronium is so dense the thing likely has a visible gravity well so you can "see" it through the lensing effect.

Of course, actual neutronium would A) explode immediately and violently, it's not stable anywhere outside the trillions of trillions of hyper-ultra-giga-newtons of force that are neutron stars and B) also pass through almost anything as if it were air.  It's not a complaint, this is soft science after all not hard, but I found it amusing when the goddess dropped the shard.  If it was actually a shard of neutronium, it would have punched a hole in the planet like it was water and just bobbed up and down for a bunch of orbits until settling at the core, and turning the planet into swiss cheese.

And now you know how the Underdark was formed.  I kid I kid.  I get a very Thor's Hammer thing from it, with variable weight if ye not be worthy.

Thus ends Eiji's Science Hour.)
Mudada.

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #108 on: September 24, 2015, 11:42:49 PM »
I summon action!
Mudada.

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #109 on: September 26, 2015, 06:25:06 PM »
I summon action!

The first step of "Summon Action" is making a Magic Circle against Delays with some salt...
Mudada.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 27, 2015, 04:31:33 PM »
Give Psy a day or so, he's on vacation wit da wife

Offline Psysama

• Honorary Mod
  • Personal Pizza
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 21, 2015, 08:14:04 PM »
For those who are searching the crater, you can roll a spot or search check, but seeing as there is no time limit I'll let you guys take a 20.
Signature here.

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #112 on: October 21, 2015, 08:51:17 PM »
For those who are searching the crater, you can roll a spot or search check, but seeing as there is no time limit I'll let you guys take a 20.

Key, with aid another from Bianca, gets Search 34.
Mudada.

Offline Psysama

• Honorary Mod
  • Personal Pizza
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 22, 2015, 12:19:36 AM »
You find patches of shiny dust throughout the whole crater, however at the center of the crater you find something metal in the ground.  I assume you are going to dig it up?
Signature here.

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #114 on: October 22, 2015, 01:49:37 AM »
You find patches of shiny dust throughout the whole crater, however at the center of the crater you find something metal in the ground.  I assume you are going to dig it up?

Did you mean this to be in character thread?
Mudada.

Offline Psysama

• Honorary Mod
  • Personal Pizza
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 20, 2015, 10:45:21 PM »
how's everyone doing?  Sorry been busy as of late.
Signature here.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 21, 2015, 12:01:26 AM »
In mind numbing pain but otherwise okay.

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #117 on: November 21, 2015, 03:00:24 AM »
Learning the Inflict Pain power with my new psion level.  For some reason it's not working, unless I got the target wrong somehow...

Nah, not even I can make that joke.  Sorry Bhu.

Just letting you know, none of you are safe.  Bianca will turn you all into minions in her bid for ultimate science power.
Mudada.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 21, 2015, 07:59:10 PM »
Learning the Inflict Pain power with my new psion level.  For some reason it's not working, unless I got the target wrong somehow...

Just letting you know, none of you are safe.  Bianca will turn you all into minions in her bid for ultimate science power.

You realize im basically a Kaiju once i grow up  :p

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #119 on: November 21, 2015, 08:18:59 PM »

You realize im basically a Kaiju once i grow up  :p

I know.  I'm already developing you some badass Evangellion-styled armor.  Kaiju fights ahoy!
Mudada.