Author Topic: Cosa Nostra, a narrative game about the Mafia  (Read 3834 times)

Offline NumeFinorio

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Cosa Nostra, a narrative game about the Mafia
« on: November 25, 2013, 12:52:01 AM »
Hi, my name is João Paulo Francisconi, and I'm a brazilian RPG writer. Down here I already published two books: Bestiário de Arton, the oficial bestiary for a local d20-OGL game called Tormenta RPG published by my friends at Jambô Editora, and Cosa Nostra, my first independente game funded by a successful crowdfunding in abril-may this year, that is being published under Estúdio V label, a game design studio that I found with my friends Leonel Domingos (artist), Marco Morte (artist), Tiago Ribeiro (graphic designer) e Rodrigo da Silva (financial advisor, because we are kinda stupid with money).

For 2014 we have two projects in mind. 1. bring a US/UK/english-writen indie RPG game to Brazil. 2. put one of our own games in the english-language market. We are currently deciding what game we will bring to Brazil (and if you have some suggestion of good games I'll be happy to hear it!), but we have already decide for Cosa Nostra to be our first step here.

To do that we will walk a path that we have already walked in Brazil. First, a playtest version with a development period for making the game better, then moving foward to publishing. This first playtest version is not translated by a professional, as that will come later, because Rodrigo said that if I spend money in development stage before we have a continuous source of income he will broke my legs. He is a big guy and I think he would actually do it, so sorry if the text is not 100%, but I believe to have done a good job.

So, here is your playtest PDF, play the hell out of that thing and tell us what do you think we can do to make it better. After the first round of improvements we will make a nice little PDF for printing as we have done with the brazilian playtest. Ah, and here is some art of the book!

Offline Atmo

• View Profile
    • Atmoland
Re: Cosa Nostra, a narrative game about the Mafia
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 10:34:57 AM »
For 2014 we have two projects in mind. 1. bring a US/UK/english-writen indie RPG game to Brazil. 2. put one of our own games in the english-language market. We are currently deciding what game we will bring to Brazil (and if you have some suggestion of good games I'll be happy to hear it!), but we have already decide for Cosa Nostra to be our first step here.

OVA: The Anime Role-Playing Game or Double Cross (3rd edition)

Offline NumeFinorio

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 11:32:03 AM »
I think another anime-like RPG, trought probable being a fast sell over here, is not what we would like to do. Specially because any anime-like RPG around here hardly classify as a indie game as there is, like, half a dozen of that RPGs published, including a major top seller as 3D&T (Defenders of Toquio 3º edition). Of course, that would be diferent with games like Golden Sky Storys and Ryuutama - A Game of Travel and Wonder, as they represent a style of gaming not know around here, so we are keeping that in mind.

Offline dna1

• PbP Game Master
  • Sage of Herbology
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 10:14:27 PM »
Looks interesting.

So when you say your looking for an American RPG to bring to Brasil, do you mean as a business partner or what? And are you talking about a already established RPG to just translate and release, or are you talking about making one?
Roses are Red. Gaming is fun. You're over encumbered and cannot Run.

Offline NumeFinorio

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 11:29:21 PM »
Looks interesting.

So when you say your looking for an American RPG to bring to Brasil, do you mean as a business partner or what? And are you talking about a already established RPG to just translate and release, or are you talking about making one?

I'm talking about licensing and releasing a brazilian translation. Making a new game with an american partner sounds like a nice experience and all, but a newly founded company like mine hardly has the manpower to maintain a project like that without compromising our other projects. A translation would occupy the time of a editor, a graphic designer and a translator, but a new game would also need artists, revisers of a diferent language than our own and then another one of our language too, playtesters and a person to manage the playtest. I would not say that we wouldn't do that one day, as it sound remarkable awesome, but we can't do that today.