Author Topic: Can you suggest a good gaming system?  (Read 7377 times)

Offline Mister Lamp

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Meh. . .
    • View Profile
Can you suggest a good gaming system?
« on: December 30, 2011, 04:17:51 PM »
My group and I have been doing DnD for several years now and would like to try a different system. We have previously played Deathwatch as well, and enjoyed it.

one of my friends said:
I want something that's futuristic, but not Star Wars futuristic.

We hope for your responses.

pleases list what systems you like, as well as what reasons its good.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Can you suggest a good gaming system?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 04:32:21 PM »
Anything more specific than that? Because "futuristic but not Star Wars" is pretty broad/vague, and futuristic window-dressing can be dropped on just about any system (especially fantasy ones). What does your group enjoy while playing D&D? Tactical combat? The story? Interacting with NPCs and each other?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 04:34:28 PM by Prime32 »

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 04:55:08 PM »
Obligatory homebrew plug: MAGIPUNK! My WIP homebrew D&D setting that's futuristic, postmodern fantasy. Think cyberpunk with all the tech replaced by magic.  :D :D

Lol.  Seriously, to reiterate what Prime said, setting is less important than what you want out of the game.  Almost any game can be adapted to the setting you want.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline xaotiq1

• I don't always play D&D. But when I do, it's 3.X!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 04:55:58 PM »
You could try Deadlands: Lost Colony, the "Way Out West". It's futuristic with a spaghetti western feel. Also, a fair bit of horror that can be mixed in. You could go with its sister setting, Hell on Earth (post apocalyptic) the "Wasted West". There are d20 rules for Lost Colony, but I find the classic rules provide a much better flavor; if your into that kind of thing.

Also, Shadowrun is a good game for a futuristic vibe, I mean, it is set in the future. D20 Modern I'm not sure on, but it's close. Oh, the Savage Worlds system has at least  two settings that might work. One specifically is Slipstream. Think Flash Gordon instead of Star Wars.

That said, Prime is absolutely right. You can paint any system with a coat of future. Just gotta get the mix right. Good luck!
"Love doesn't share itself with the world. Love is suspicious, love is needy. Love is fearful, love is greedy. My friends, there is no great love without great jealousy!"  Bender Bending Rodriguez

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 05:39:24 PM »
Depending on what you mean by Star Wars futuristic (and considering you enjoyed Deathwatch) you might enjoy the other 40k games, Rogue Trader, Dark Heresy and Black Crusade. Despite being in the same universe each has a distinctly different feel.

Star Wars is full of hope, that is the driving emotion in the series. 40k's driving emotion is complete soul crushing despair...

Offline Mister Lamp

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Meh. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 07:14:50 PM »
Shadowrun was one of the ones we thought would be interesting.

Part of it is that we want to try a different system, so it won't be a d20 game.

I cannot really be more specific as to what we're looking for. We just want to try something new.

Thanks for the replies.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Unbeliever

• Legendary Member
  • gentleman gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 08:16:38 PM »
I happen to really like the Star Wars Saga Edition, but it's Star Wars and very similar to D&D. 

Mutants and Masterminds is really good, and pretty flexible.  Although the 3rd edition isn't perfect in some regards.  It uses a d20, but that's about it's only similarity to D&D at this point.

A lot of people have said good things about Savage Worlds, especially some of their pre-built settings like Savage World of Solomon Kane.  I haven't played it, but the buzz is good. 

Offline Talonas

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 05:57:28 PM »
I would like to second the recommendation of Savage Worlds if you would like an action/adventure futuristic style game. Or possibly a FATE game like "Spirit of the century" or "Strands of Fate" if you want something "crunchier" but more adaptable to different tone/genre.

If you want something REALLY different I have heard good things about Burning Empires (never played it however, so I can't give an educated endorsement).

If you want procedural/mystery/investigation in spaaaaaaace you could try "Ashen Stars" (GUMSHOE system, well thought out futuristic setting built from the ground up to cater to the needs of an RPG).

Offline savagehominid

• Lurker
  • often sarcastic and indulges boisterousness
    • View Profile
    • A Savage Hominid's Soap Box
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 01:19:33 PM »
What does the group want to be doing?

Do they want to be a party, and tackle adventures? (I.E. D&D with a new coat of paint)

Engange in interstellar political drama?

What do the players (not characters) want to be doing? What sorts of decisions would they like to be me making? What does the GM want to do? Does the GM want to tell their story, provide challenges, or facilitate group authorship? Do you guys even want a GM?

More than "not d20" and "Futuristic...but not Star Wars (which is set a long time ago, thus...its in the past)

I'd recommend TechNoir, which is a hard boiled cyberpunk roleplaying game. But the game doesn't fall into the traditional adventure model. Then there is Burning Sands (Burning Wheel, set in the Dune Universe), which is pretty nifty as well. Diaspora is a cool toolkit for hard sci-fi adventures.

But a bit more to go on would be nice
IRL - Justin
Twitter - @SavageHominid
Facebook/Google+ - Justin Smith

Offline BG_Josh

• Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 01:35:24 PM »
It's actually pretty easy to give a complete list of good "high tech" games

Strongly Reccomend

Action Adventure
Battlestations

Science fiction
Shock Social science fiction
Misspent Youth
Freemarket
Apocalypse world
Microscope
Burning Wheel: Burning Sands (Dune)
Burning Empires

Weakly reccomend

Action Adventure
Savage worlds(the high tech worlds are kinda crappy)
Fate: Diaspora
Fate: Starblazers

Mystery
Ashen Stars

Offline savagehominid

• Lurker
  • often sarcastic and indulges boisterousness
    • View Profile
    • A Savage Hominid's Soap Box
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 02:01:11 PM »
It's actually pretty easy to give a complete list of good "high tech" games

Strongly Reccomend

Action Adventure
Battlestations

Science fiction
Shock Social science fiction
Misspent Youth
Freemarket
Apocalypse world
Microscope
Burning Wheel: Burning Sands (Dune)
Burning Empires

Weakly reccomend

Action Adventure
Savage worlds(the high tech worlds are kinda crappy)
Fate: Diaspora
Fate: Starblazers

Mystery
Ashen Stars

Everyone seems to recommend Microscope for Sci-Fi, the only game I played in was a Mythic Pre-History involving the Tribe of the Wolf, the Trickster Crow, and the founding of written word. :D
IRL - Justin
Twitter - @SavageHominid
Facebook/Google+ - Justin Smith

Offline Marco0042

• Lurker
  • RPG podcast fan
    • View Profile
    • Area 42, where gamer's go
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 05:14:36 AM »
I really enjoyed Misspent Youth. You need to be sure your group is on board with it though. It is about teen rebellion in a sci-fi world and selling out your beliefs and your character getting darker and more jaded. The world and character gen process is both fun and rewarding. Game play is a blast. Easy and fun read even if you never play it.
"Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has
to be us."
 - Jerry Garcia

Offline Deusnocturne

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 03:07:06 PM »
I think I would have to say Shadowrun would be a good choice it has a way different feel from DnD and requires players to think and play differently. The system is a pretty far step removed from DnD but isn't over complicated to learn, and the futuristic setting has a starkly different but engaging atmosphere and gives an overall good cyberpunk feel. I think it's the safest bet when venturing into the futuristic for the first time and it's a good measuring stick to see if future styled games are going to catch your group's interest or not.

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 03:12:06 PM »
Try LEGEND!

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down."

Offline TeslaWolff

• Lurker
  • Sorcerer, trained from Solo's guide to Sorcerers
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 05:33:35 AM »
Try LEGEND!

I concur! Legend RPG is truly a magnificent read and when you're done you will be aching to try it out with friends :).
"An archmage often can react poorly to interruption. Please reconsider before it is too late." -Elminster of Shadowdale

Offline radionausea

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 04:03:57 AM »
I downloaded Legend the other day and I have to say I really, really like the look of it. 

If there's anyone from the boards who lives in Philadelphia I'll be moving across the Atlantic in a few weeks and would love to try it out sometime.
Something inside me dies when I see the word fallacy applied to ideas held about roleplaying. And a small bit of vomit comes up when I see a character called a 'toon'.

Offline Lars

• Lurker
  • I'm new!<< Thats what I say when i get some
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 10:13:28 AM »
Harp Scifi are the next game to test for the group im in. Dont know if its any good...

Offline thurmin

• Lurker
  • Nougat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2012, 01:27:12 AM »
Other's have suggested it, but I happen to agree. Shadowrun is a very fun game. Has a bit of fantasy in it (playing dwarves, elves, orcs, trolls), has a bit of magic in it, has internet tom foolery, and high tech shoot em up. Spice to flavor as desired. The combat/skill mechanics are completely different from D20 games, so that can help spice things up for your group.

Having said that, have you thought of Cyberpunk? Old game, but very fun to play. Kinda like Shadowrun, only grittier, darker, and no magic or races. Just high tech and low lifes :D
Still trying to perfect the Cloistered Cleric/Crusader/Ruby Knight Vindicator trap disarming, lock opening, tripping, healing, buffing, melee dps'ing character without going Gestalt.