Author Topic: Boosting Skills  (Read 1583 times)

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
Boosting Skills
« on: June 05, 2016, 12:04:18 PM »
So, I'm someone who believes that a large number skills don't do enough (hence me creating ones that have more direct gameplay impacts), and I was noodling around a bit - what about allowing knowledge skills to give a +1 bonus against spells and effects from the applicable creature types for each 4 points invested? It'd make them a little more worthwhile without Knowledge Devotion or just being PrC fodder.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Boosting Skills
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 04:22:48 PM »
Neverwinter Nights had something similar, where every 5 ranks in Spellcraft gave +1 on saves vs. spells and every 5 or 10 ranks in Tumble (I think it differed between NWN 1 and 2) gave +1 AC. It kinda made those skills mandatory to invest in. Maybe not Tumble for characters that dumped AC, but everyone uses saving throws as a defense. Granting direct combat bonuses like saving throw bonuses is really strong. You'll likely see Fighters using their 2+Int skill points on cross-class ranks of Knowledge (arcana) and Knowledge (local) just for an extra +1 or +2 bonus on saves against the most common foes fought. It's not like they're going to get much use from their skill points and measly skill list otherwise.

I have no objection to making skills more useful, but you need a light touch, especially if you're enhancing only some skills. The value of skill ranks is generally fairly low with respect to overall character power, so it's really easy to add small things that make a skill much stronger than the alternatives.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 04:59:38 PM »
I have no objection to making skills more useful, but you need a light touch, especially if you're enhancing only some skills. The value of skill ranks is generally fairly low with respect to overall character power, so it's really easy to add small things that make a skill much stronger than the alternatives.

Well, I should point out I'm coming from a background of having much stronger than normal skills freely available (Animalism, Craft, Spellbond, Spellsong, Use Gateway, Warcraft), so I'm more interested in making skills actually have combat relevance of some sort. Straight bonuses is such a boring way to go about it though...

I could actually just make Knowledge Devotion a part of all the knowledge skills, and go from there...

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 06:04:58 PM »
Now that I'm back, another idea in the slow march of boosting skills -

Increase the caster level cap of every spell by 1 for every 4 points invested in Spellcraft. Possibly with the rider that it cannot increase the caster level cap by more than the spell level. Thus making Spellcraft actually somewhat relevant to casters...