Author Topic: I've just discovered the ultimate "I troll you!" prestige class  (Read 9469 times)

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
I've just discovered the ultimate "I troll you!" prestige class
« on: November 27, 2011, 04:31:01 PM »
The Theophanist, or "I get to summon the Abrahamic God as a 10th-level ability"

Clarification: This fluff text is something I made up, not from the book.

The Case of Sir Percival of Yorkshire, Master Theurge, 1100 AD:

The ritual was in place.  The summoning circle, painstakingly crafted in 6 hours, theorized for years, gave off a shining white glow.  Sir Percival managed to do what the Catholic Church never dreamed of, for they condemned his theurgic ilk.  He once dreamed of ruling the British Isles during his apprenticeship before learning of the shortsightedness of this goal.  Holy Cross in hand firmly placed upon his spellbook, Sir Percival of Yorkshire was ready to assume an even greater mantle: the King of Heaven.

"Lord Almighty, Jesus of Nazareth, I summon thee!  Place your power onto me!!"

The bright light arced out of the circle and enveloped him.

Percival gasped.  "I see... beautiful visions of Heaven!  Streams of pure water and golden gates, far as the eye can see!  A world without suffering, of eternal bliss, all within my grasp!"

What he saw next was too glorious to describe in words.  "It's God, the Creator Himself!  I command ye to do my bidding!"

God's Word was revealed to Percival, in such eloquent terms that the theurge was shaken to the core of his being.  "You can't rob me of all this power," he shouted, "Decades of toil, dedication!  Do you know how many people I had to sacrifice to reach this point?!"

Visions of hell, of fiery pits and deformed sinners, their ugly forms borne of torture.  "This is what awaits the Theurge who rebels against God's Will!"  To his horror, Percival realized that this pronouncement came from his own lips.

"You can't make me choose!"

The Continuing Case of Sir Percival of Yorkshire, former Theurge turned Mendicant, 1105 AD:

Percival has never felt so free in his life.  He gave up his castle, his inheritance, even his noble title, all to make his subjects happy.  The once grand estate of Yorkshire now belongs to everyone.  Although he had good intentions, freely giving all the riches and grain to the peasantry was not wise in hindsight now that even the village mayors are fighting bloody battles over the Royal Pillowcases.

Lady Eloise still clings to her husband.  At first she enjoyed his more noble demeanor and loss of arrogance, but she grew to miss what he once was.  "It was as though he were a different person!" she thought.  She cursed the foul art of magic under her breath, of how it turned her beloved into a complete stranger.

The Medieval Player's Manual by Green Ronin is part of the Mythic Vista series, a collection of d20 campaign settings in real-world historical locations.  The MPM takes place in Medieval Britain and north France, circa 1067-1150 AD.

In order to get a better "Medieval" feel, several core classes were omitted and replaced with more setting-appropriate material.  The magic system works a little differently as well.

Magic in general is not sinful in and of itself, but it can be put to sinful ends.  Theurgy is one of the three kinds of magic in the setting, and the only form that is inherently sinful.  Theurges draw upon the power of spirits through scholarly rituals and methods.  Basically, they use the d20 magic system, but the more powerful magic requires time and material components.

The Theophanist prestige class is a theurge who plans to summon the most powerful spirit ever so that he can enforce his will upon the world.  The prestige class' modus operandi is dedicated to learning the sole class feature at its final 10th level: Beatific Vision, or "Summon God" in laymen's terms.  Trolling potential from flavor text alone: 9,000+.

Given that we're talking about a 10th level Prestige Class that loses two levels worth of casting, and we get to summon the Abrahamic "beyond human limits" God, nothing could possibly go wrong!

Reach 10th level, and something like the above story happens...

If the theophanist accepts God, he changes to Good alignment, and loses all levels of Theurge and Theophanist.  Genuine loss: all feats, skill points, hit points, saving throws, all of it, lost.  In compensation, he gains one level of the Saint class.  This means that a Theurge/Theophanist can revert to 1st level.

Additionally, the character is no longer capable of sinning, or even having sinful thoughts.  If the player tries to make his character sin, then the DM declares that the PC does not commit the action.  But to be free of sin is to not be human.  Your character can't even experience emotions such as anger, greed, or lust!  Now your character can't screw the barmaid and he can't go on adventures for money (unless this money would be given to charitable causes).  The prestige class just trolled you right back!

But the player can reverse-troll the situation: If the theophanist refuses God's Will, your character keeps all of his abilities, but he is truly and irrevocably damned.  He changes to Evil alignment; he can still commit good actions, but they will never be of good intent.

Regardless of the choice, the character gains the Resurrection Body Charism.  He or she is now immune to effects of the physical world.  He is immune to poison, disease, all non-magical damage and effects.  He can walk through all manner physical objects, flawlessly teleport anywhere in an instant without having to know the location, and can fly.  All Charisms are extraordinary abilities, and thus cannot be dispelled by magic.  He can still interact with the physical world if he chooses to, and can be selective as to what aspects of it affect him.

Any sensible player should know better than to think that a spell in a Medieval setting meant to command God Himself comes with no strings attached.  This is why it's the perfect troll class.  It's trolling the players who don't want to be Evil because it's forcing them to gimp their character (both for losing two spellcasting levels and the 10th level ability); players who don't care about damnation or alignment get the ability to troll the Dungeon Master forevermore.  Since the Evil Theurge accepted his sinful nature and is incapable of acting with good intent, he can screw up almost any conceivable adventure plot with the "transcendent, unaffected by crude matter" abilities.  And he can fall on the "I'm role-playing excuse" whenever he acts like a disruptive psycho.

tl;dr:  Accept God, lose 15+ levels in every sense of the word.  Lose the ability to sin or even have sinful thoughts, which significantly changes human nature.  Reject God, keep all of your powers but become Evil with a capital E.

Get the ability to say "screw you!" to all non-magical damage, get to teleport anywhere, go through all manner of solid material.  This is an extraordinary ability, meaning that it can't be dispelled by magic.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 04:22:12 PM by Libertad »

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
Re: I've just discovered the ultimate "I troll you!" prestige class
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 02:43:48 AM »
Use to post tl;dr raising...

We all know about my ADHD on here, can I get this in a condensed list of bullet points of the highlighted material? I mean, Mythic Vistas is 3rd party material and I don't have a copy laying around.

Offline Mixster

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 05:05:32 AM »
Use to post tl;dr raising...

We all know about my ADHD on here, can I get this in a condensed list of bullet points of the highlighted material? I mean, Mythic Vistas is 3rd party material and I don't have a copy laying around.

The capstone from the theophanist (medieval players manual), is an attempt to control and omnipotent god.
When you do it you get a choice, either you become good, become level 1 in a saint class and whenever you try to do something evil the DM can outright state that you didn't do the act.
Or you can become evil, and have an Ex ability that makes you able to teleport anywhere and ignore all matter, when you want to, but you can also touch matter when you don't. When you act like a dick, your excuse is; well my class ability tells me I can only do evil acts.
This signature reserved for the first awesome quote!

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 06:28:52 AM »
That is pretty bad isn't it?

Tobi on crack. Fun times. :)

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 02:09:42 PM »

Or you can become evil, and have an Ex ability that makes you able to teleport anywhere and ignore all matter, when you want to, but you can also touch matter when you don't. When you act like a dick, your excuse is; well my class ability tells me I can only do evil acts.

Actually, you get this ability even if you accept God.

That is pretty bad isn't it?

Tobi on crack. Fun times. :)

Who's Tobi?

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 05:24:26 PM »
Who's Tobi?
Naruto character. Overpowered douche-villain.

Offline Mixster

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 06:32:31 PM »

Actually, you get this ability even if you accept God.

Still kindda sucks that your capstone is you become level 1.
This signature reserved for the first awesome quote!

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 07:18:23 PM »
Theophanist Trolling Game

The point of the game is to get as many Troll Points as possible.  If you have a PC with a Theophanist in your game, you start with 9,000 Troll Points.  You get more points by adding a multiplier that starts out at x1.  Every action you take that increases by multiplier increases it by an increment of x1 (so x1 becomes x2 becomes x3, etc.).  For example, Libertad joins a game as a Theurge/Theophanist.  He tricks the DM into allowing it for role-playing potential.  The multiplier's now x2.  Libertad then convinces the other Theurge player to take it as well, encouraging him to role-play a fellow mage who eventually falls due to his pride.  The multiplier is now x3.  If the other player takes the class to 5th level, he loses one level of spellcasting, gimping his character and increasing the multiplier to x4.  If the game ends before any other multipliers are added, Libertad accumulates 36,000 Troll Points.

Ways to get multipliers:

1. Find a Dungeon Master who can't stand power-gamers and/or disruptive players.  Ask him if you can play a Theophanist in his games.
a. At any point in the game, Dungeon Master goes crazy and gives you a beat down.  +1 if verbal, +2 if physical.  Game ends, calculate Troll Points.
b. You convince him to allow it for "role-playing potential." +1

2. Play a Theophanist at your game within earshot of people who think that D&D is Satanic.  Loudly proclaim how your character's main goal is to enslave God and become the new King of Heaven.  +1 If said people freak out and go on an angry rant.  +2 if rant uses Jack Chick's Dark Dungeons as a source. +2

3. Trick a fellow player into taking the prestige class under false pretenses. +1, +2 if he ends up gimping his character.

4. Trick the Dungeon Master into thinking that you'll accept God at 10th level, but then go Evil.  +1 if your character is retired from the game (Troll game ends, calculate points), +2 if you can continue playing and use your abilities to fuck up future adventures.

5. Accept God, go Good, annoy fellow PCs by convincing them to give up sinful behavior by becoming chaste pacifist beggars. +1, +2 if you browbeat them into taking a Charism feat or two.

In short, the more complicated and convoluted ways you use the Theophanist to fuck up the game, the more Troll Points you get.

Note: The Theophanist Troll Game is not intended for serious play.  Theophanist Troll Game may result in loss of friendship, respect, and significant bodily harm.  Consult your doctor before playing a Theophanist.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 07:21:03 PM by Libertad »

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 05:22:27 PM »
it would help if they had any idea of the actual characteristics of said being before trying to make a prestige relating to it. the historical texts in question have notorious inaccuracies, obscuring the actual characteristics quite effectively. it is almost as if there is some sort of anti-entity-in-question pr campaign going on....

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 05:40:17 PM »
it would help if they had any idea of the actual characteristics of said being before trying to make a prestige relating to it. the historical texts in question have notorious inaccuracies, obscuring the actual characteristics quite effectively. it is almost as if there is some sort of anti-entity-in-question pr campaign going on....

I don't think that Green Ronin's anti-Christian.  The Medieval Player's Manual goes out of its way to portray God as more progressively minded than the standards of the time despite the Church's authority.  God in the setting has no problem with female priests, but the Church does.  He also answers the prayers of Jews and Muslims.

I think that the prestige class is meant to represent the hubris of the Theurge.  Theurges summon spirits to do their bidding; some Theurges believe that God is merely a spirit, and they get punished or disciplined for their arrogance.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 05:46:14 PM »
i wasn't attempting to imply that they were anti-christian in any way. most of christianity has no idea of the actual characteristics of their own god. so how does one expect a third party to even get close?

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 05:48:25 PM »
i wasn't attempting to imply that they were anti-christian in any way. most of christianity has no idea of the actual characteristics of their own god. so how does one expect a third party to even get close?

Apologies for the misunderstanding.

Even though the Abrahamic God is supposed to be beyond human limits, we assign characteristics to Him based off of His behavior in the Bible.  Therefore, it is expected that a mortal arrogant enough to try and enslave Him would suffer for his pride.  "Repent or be damned!" is a pretty consistent theme in Christian history.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 12:46:37 AM »
no problems. text only is easy to misconstrue... look at the d&d rules!

indeed, but again, damnation from said god's point of view is somewhat different then from said mortal's point of view.

it is somewhat amusing that this prestige basically mimics pretty much the same kind of thing that got lucifer kicked out of heaven in the first place.

and for the record, i do happen to be christian myself. ^^

anyhow, i wander from the subject. that is quite the heavy-handed capstone of a prestige there. though i utterly disagree with sex=sin idea in the fluff text. fornication (by the old meaning) most definitely = sin; but within marriage, sex = following the commandments.

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 12:52:45 AM »
no problems. text only is easy to misconstrue... look at the d&d rules!

indeed, but again, damnation from said god's point of view is somewhat different then from said mortal's point of view.

it is somewhat amusing that this prestige basically mimics pretty much the same kind of thing that got lucifer kicked out of heaven in the first place.

and for the record, i do happen to be christian myself. ^^

anyhow, i wander from the subject. that is quite the heavy-handed capstone of a prestige there. though i utterly disagree with sex=sin idea in the fluff text. fornication (by the old meaning) most definitely = sin; but within marriage, sex = following the commandments.

Actually, the Sir Percival story was of my own creation.  I always thought sex=sin, even in the context of marriage in Christian ethos; this is just my personal interpretation of the idea of an utterly sinless human.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 12:57:25 AM by Libertad »

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 02:19:14 AM »
we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. =D from my understanding, sex was never on the list of sins, only fornication. which by the old definition is sex with anyone you are not married to, regardless of age, gender, or species... which kinda implies that with one's spouse is fine.  after all, adam's transgression (note that it is never called a sin by god, only a transgression... the "original sin" bit was added later by humans) was to eat something they were forbidden to eat. nothing much to do with sex there.

of course, if my understanding is wrong, and it does turn out that sex with ones' wife is a sin, then i'm doomed to hell for sure. heheheh.

complete side note, but the first profession was gardner, not the more commonly miss-cited one. ^^

Offline liquid150

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2011, 07:47:03 PM »
nijineko is absolutely correct, this coming from a Jesuit-educated person that was raised Roman Catholic. Those Jesuits really make you study the Bible, and within the context of marriage sex is considered a gift and a blessing, not a sin by any means.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2011, 07:55:15 PM »
... what are you implying about me, exactly? lol

I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 08:23:46 PM »
... what are you implying about me, exactly? lol

I did not intend to base this class off of you.  I heard the title somewhere else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percival

Oh dang, Sir Percival was a Knight of the Round Table!  Now my fluff text just sounds weird!

nijineko is absolutely correct, this coming from a Jesuit-educated person that was raised Roman Catholic. Those Jesuits really make you study the Bible, and within the context of marriage sex is considered a gift and a blessing, not a sin by any means.

Misunderstanding on my part.

Sounds like I've got some work to do on the flavor text!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 10:08:13 PM by Libertad »

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 09:33:57 PM »
 :P
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 10:03:24 PM »
I like the whole bash religion thing without degrading into a flame war. It's nice, makes me feel out of place for being the only immature guy here.

So. Umm... Speaking of out of marriage sex.
Your daughter can get you drunk and sleep with you.
Fathers can sleep with son's girlfriend whom he forbidden the son to marry.
As long as the women does it, it's probably fine.

So play a female.