Author Topic: Old Boards  (Read 32970 times)

Offline kalaskaagathas

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Kwisatz Haderach
    • View Profile
Re: Old Boards
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2012, 03:28:50 AM »
So write a script to read old post text, and post it to the new system as data. Hell, you could even call some Bayesian library functions to filter the spam inline.

Should be too hard if you have an XML dump (or similar) of the old stuff.

This sounds nontrivial.  Is this nontrivial?  I have no idea.  If it would work, that'd be great, but, again, to my under-educated ear, it sounds nontrivial.
Fortune, good-night: smile once more; turn thy wheel!

Call me KA

Offline Jacemachine

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2012, 10:06:54 AM »
How soon do we have until the old boards are done with and are deleted?

I feel like I went on a long vacation and when I come home the roommates all told me that the house was condemned and we all have to go in and grab whatever shit we can.

:tongue

Offline PlzBreakMyCampaign

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2012, 03:26:55 PM »
I have tons to move because I don't have a consolidated place to move it to yet...

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2012, 03:35:08 PM »

Hmm... would the Internet Archive be interested in taking the database?

2nd-ing

{ ... insert or maybe my ignorance is showing smiley face ... }
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2012, 06:40:18 PM »
I have tons to move because I don't have a consolidated place to move it to yet...

I might be able to help with that once i finish helping Oslecamo

Offline Whisper

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2012, 07:33:40 PM »
So write a script to read old post text, and post it to the new system as data. Hell, you could even call some Bayesian library functions to filter the spam inline.

This sounds nontrivial.  Is this nontrivial?  I have no idea.  If it would work, that'd be great, but, again, to my under-educated ear, it sounds nontrivial.

Depends on the data format. It's certainly not the hardest task ever.

Might take an experienced software engineer a day or three.

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2012, 07:35:27 PM »
^^
It may have passed notice, but none of the people with actual database access are experienced software people.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline kalaskaagathas

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Kwisatz Haderach
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2012, 02:56:52 AM »
^^
It may have passed notice, but none of the people with actual database access are experienced software people.

Indeed, that would seem to be an issue.  Perhaps some on the boards are, and would have the time and inclination to take on the task?  Because unless we can find some to do it (and therefore get the people with actual database access in talks with said people) then I think it'd be more fruitful to pursue a different tack.

Same here.  Except I don't have tons to move.  But I do have stuff to move, and lacking the ability to easily get at it all, and a place to put it, I'd hope we have a decent amount of time before the old BG boards go away.
Fortune, good-night: smile once more; turn thy wheel!

Call me KA

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2012, 07:48:10 AM »
I do have stuff to move, but it's all over the place. I had over 6000 posts at the old boards, and sorting what I want and what I do not want from it will take time that, at present, I do not have. It might help to know which, if any threads I started people would like to see here again. Anyone who remembers a particular thread or threads that they'd like to see around, feel free to PM me.
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Whisper

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2012, 10:07:21 PM »
^^

I'm an experienced software people. Perhaps I can help.

Is the data in a running database, or do you have some sort of file-format dump?

Offline The_Mad_Linguist

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Not peeved, unique, nor linguist. Username = lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2012, 12:08:57 AM »
Anyway, contact them at info@archive.org

They're datahoarders - I'm fairly sure they'll take it.

Offline kurashu

• Tinker Mechanic Programmer Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2012, 11:50:55 AM »
^^

Dumping a database out into a CVS format or just downloading it into a SQL file (or whatever format databases dump into these days) isn't hard. Installing MySQLPHPAdmin is super simple and that should have an option to just download it. At that point, using the tables for user names, topic data and post data would be so easy even a novice with a crash course could do it.

SQL isn't a very complex beast. It's just knowing how to tell the server to retrieve the right information. Sure "SELECT p.u_id, u.name, u.u_id AS id p.content, p.title, p.timestamp, p.thread_id FROM posts p, users u WHERE p.u_id = id AND p.thread_id = X SORT BY p.timestamp DESC;" looks complicated but even still, you can probably still figure out what's going on.

Offline Spaulding

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2012, 12:11:37 AM »
I actually joined this forum after being a lurker at the old boards for something like 2 years or so. Frankly, I find them a fascinating wealth of information. When I read that they were being deleted i was like :bigeyes and then :( . As a result, I went on a search to hunt down a way to save the interesting and useful information, especially since it seem that there is an interest in getting rid of the old forums. So here are my personal ideas:

1)
Anyway, contact them at info@archive.org

They're datahoarders - I'm fairly sure they'll take it.
The archive is a great resource, but I think it can take a few months (like 6 or so, maybe up to 2 years) before everything gets ported over.

2)

I don't think this should be too terribly hard. I did some digging and I *think* Forumotion http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=861505 would be able to get this done. However, according to the documentation, it works best when you have:
A Web Server with [preferably] MySQL.
Forum Software installed on this web server, configured and ready to go with phpBB or SMF
Database Access - need to be able to insert, delete and truncate
Python (versions 2.5 to 2.6 will work (probably 2.7 as well), but Python 3 will NOT work!) -- download from http://www.python.org
I haven't had time to look into this, but people at phpbb.com state that it can work without needing access to the database, you just don't get all the user information/profiles/etc., but the directories, threads, and posts should remain intact (or so I understand).

3) Dump the threads/directories that don't matter so much and don't really contribute to creativity bulk information. In my opinion, this would include (feel free to disagree, just my opinion, no offense to others intended) almost everything under: "Board Business", "Show Stuff", "General Gab", "Playtime!", and "Trash bin". This would eliminate ~176000 of the ~429000 posts or about 41% of them. Some of the most heavily externally linked information that I have found is located under "Min/Max It!" and especially it's children boards "Handbooks" and "You Break It, You Buy It". If it wouldn't be too terribly expensive (I have no understanding of the costs involved), but many of these boards could be copied over, locked, and placed under an "archived" section of the new forums or just dropped wholly into an appropriate forum over here. If you locked all of them, it would preserve their locations and prevent zombifying any of the threads from the old site as well.

At the very least it would be nice to keep the optimization information, handbooks, and "special" overly broken builds to prevent people form having to reinvent the wheel, as these section took ALOT of work to pull together by a dedicated community over a fairly long period of time.

Just some thoughts, I might have time this weekend to play around a bit.

Offline altpersona

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • You are here
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2012, 05:00:19 PM »
did we ever get a size on the old boards?

i would like a copy edited or not...

The goal of power is power. - 1984
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow
The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga still sux.

Offline brainpiercing

• PbP Game Master
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2012, 12:00:31 PM »
I would be really, really neat if we could export entire threads, instead of having to copy/paste individual posts. Especially old game threads, I still find myself frequently having to look through, because PbP games are so slow.
Then there are all the handbooks, etc.

Offline ImperatorK

• Legendary Member
  • Chara did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
    • Kristof Imperator YouTube Channel
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2012, 07:03:48 PM »
I would be really, really neat if we could export entire threads, instead of having to copy/paste individual posts.
You can. just Click at Print option at the start of the thread with your right mouse button and choose "Save as", save the .html file on your hard drive and you will have the entire thread as an easy to read file.
Magic is for weaklings.

Alucard: "*snif snif* Huh? Suddenly it reeks of hypocrisy in here. Oh, if it isn't the Catholic Church. And what's this? No little Timmy glued to your crotch. Progress!"
My YT channel - LoL gameplay

Offline brainpiercing

• PbP Game Master
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2012, 04:48:50 AM »
I would be really, really neat if we could export entire threads, instead of having to copy/paste individual posts.
You can. just Click at Print option at the start of the thread with your right mouse button and choose "Save as", save the .html file on your hard drive and you will have the entire thread as an easy to read file.

Thanks!! I'll do that.

I also just noticed that I have the firefox addon Scrapbook installed which actually saves entire threads!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 04:54:34 AM by brainpiercing »

Offline ksbsnowowl

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Warrior Skald, teller of tales.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2012, 11:36:49 AM »
I will be doing this later in the weekend.  Thanks!

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2012, 04:30:57 PM »
[minor tangent]

I recovered a decent summary of "why" BG happened.
Anybody link/copy meg's pov post of that situation?

(click to show/hide)
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline dipolartech

• Handy Haversack anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2012, 12:53:51 PM »
I was looking through the GM Gamology section and found a great a deal of useful material. Unfortunately none of it is really in handbook form and only a few threads are of large size so I don't think any one would be willing to cherry pick through it for good stuff like in the min/max section. Is there any chance of getting an code-powered transfer still being in the works? Or could we get a subsection of General DnD named GM Gamology and maybe cherry pick a few things?