Author Topic: Discussion and Suggestion Thread  (Read 200089 times)

Offline The-Mage-King

• Oi! Ask me to proofread!
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion and Suggestion Thread
« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2012, 08:08:42 PM »
Hm...

So, I'm rolling up a Spellforge Warsmith for a Gestalt PbP campaign, and I was wondering... Is it intended to render ranged combat (via throwing/archery) completely invalid?

If not, perhaps saying that the weapon vanishes at the end of the round it's let go of would work...

Oh, and why is it treated as a light weapon? Is it to prevent people from two handing it for a decent increase in damage?

Also, how do Lamens work with Spellforged Weapons? As-per normal, allowing a character to enchant it? What about with armor?

If they work differently with the armor and shield, perhaps a class feature allowing a Warsmith to gain some defensive abilities is in order.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 08:12:29 PM by The-Mage-King »

Offline DonQuixote

• Honorary Mod
  • What is sickness to the body of a knight errant?
    • View Profile
    • The Spellshaping Codices (Homebrew Board)
« Reply #101 on: February 07, 2012, 11:47:18 PM »
Hm...

So, I'm rolling up a Spellforge Warsmith for a Gestalt PbP campaign, and I was wondering... Is it intended to render ranged combat (via throwing/archery) completely invalid?

If not, perhaps saying that the weapon vanishes at the end of the round it's let go of would work...

Well, the class was designed entirely with melee combat in mind, so I hadn't given any thought to throwing or ranged weapons.  However, I have absolutely no problems with a ranged variant in which it vanishes at the end of the round in which it is let go.  Let me give it some thought before I errata anything.

Oh, and why is it treated as a light weapon? Is it to prevent people from two handing it for a decent increase in damage?

The reason behind it being a light weapon is that I lifted the rules text for it from flamedancer.  I don't see a real reason that it would matter that greatly, though your point about two-handing it is interesting.  If there is a good reason for it to not be a light weapon, let me hear it.

Also, how do Lamens work with Spellforged Weapons? As-per normal, allowing a character to enchant it? What about with armor?

If they work differently with the armor and shield, perhaps a class feature allowing a Warsmith to gain some defensive abilities is in order.

From the lamen rules:

Quote from: Lamens and Spellforge Weapons
The properties of a lamen apply only to spellshape attacks that are shaped normally.  A spellshape champion who channels her spellshape attacks through a sword, for instance, would receive no benefits from a lamen.  However, spellforge warsmiths and flamedancers benefit from lamens normally, as their abilities note that the weapons they create are subject to effects that would modify their spellshape attacks.

As such, only your weapon would benefit.  The idea about defensive abilities is an interesting one, though I'm unsure of how to implement it without having to map a different defensive ability onto each offensive ability a lamen could have.

----

In other news, I've come up with a few ideas for Fleeting Image, though--amusingly--almost none of them involve actually creating images.  Mostly, it's deceit and suchlike--though I'm very amused by one formula, which calls for a Will save against disbelieving in your own existence.  The 9th-level formula, incidentally, might end up being a rip-off and a cop-out--essentially a shadow conjuration for formulae that lets you mimic any other formula if your target fails their Will save.

After looking at it briefly, I think I'm actually going to abandon the prismatic circle idea.  It's just...too much.  It would effectively be seven new circles in one, and I'm pretty sure that I'd run out of ideas long before completing 147 different effects.  So, yeah, no.

I've also been bouncing around some ideas for more character options for the other base classes, along the same lines as the recent elemental adept material.  We'll see if anything results from that.
“Hast thou not felt in forest gloom, as gloaming falls on dark-some dells, when comes a whisper, hum and hiss; savage growling sounds a-near, dazzling flashes around thee flicker, whirring waxes and fills thine ears: has thou not felt then grisly horrors that grip thee and hold thee?”

Offline The-Mage-King

• Oi! Ask me to proofread!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 08, 2012, 12:21:08 AM »
Well, the class was designed entirely with melee combat in mind, so I hadn't given any thought to throwing or ranged weapons.  However, I have absolutely no problems with a ranged variant in which it vanishes at the end of the round in which it is let go.  Let me give it some thought before I errata anything.

Of course. The thought is interesting, though, and combining it with, say, Bloodstorm Blade could result in a few shenanigans... Of the good type.

The reason behind it being a light weapon is that I lifted the rules text for it from flamedancer.  I don't see a real reason that it would matter that greatly, though your point about two-handing it is interesting.  If there is a good reason for it to not be a light weapon, let me hear it.

Simply put... DR. Now, I know that you're thinking "Oh, they aren't subject to DR", but...

That's only the energy types. Natural Balance, and the others that deal non-energy, non-untyped damage deal stuff that IS affected by DR. Let those spellshape attacks, and those alone, gain the ability to be weilded as one handed weapons, also allowing them to be used two handed in the process. Up the damage output a bit for using something that doesn't ignore DR, just to be nice.

From the lamen rules:

Quote from: Lamens and Spellforge Weapons
The properties of a lamen apply only to spellshape attacks that are shaped normally.  A spellshape champion who channels her spellshape attacks through a sword, for instance, would receive no benefits from a lamen.  However, spellforge warsmiths and flamedancers benefit from lamens normally, as their abilities note that the weapons they create are subject to effects that would modify their spellshape attacks.

As such, only your weapon would benefit.  The idea about defensive abilities is an interesting one, though I'm unsure of how to implement it without having to map a different defensive ability onto each offensive ability a lamen could have.

Hm. A simple way would to add to it "Some lamens are of a defensive focus instead of an offensive one. If you shape a formula that grants an AC bonus to yourself or another character, increase that bonus by the Enhancement bonus of the lamen.  Spellforge Warsmiths may add the effects of Lamens to their Spellforge Armor and Shields. Much like offensive Lamens, defensive Lamens may have various abilities that are, for the most part, similar to normal magical armor enhancements. The ones recommended are as follows."

Then follow that with a decent number of enhancements, mostly cloned from normal 3.5.

In other news, I've come up with a few ideas for Fleeting Image, though--amusingly--almost none of them involve actually creating images.  Mostly, it's deceit and suchlike--though I'm very amused by one formula, which calls for a Will save against disbelieving in your own existence.  The 9th-level formula, incidentally, might end up being a rip-off and a cop-out--essentially a shadow conjuration for formulae that lets you mimic any other formula if your target fails their Will save.

Hm.... Perhaps a little bit of real illusions? Maybe something like Figment of Light, from Brilliant Dawn? I think a defensive/subtle circle is an interesting idea. After all, not all magic is blowing shit up.

Also, consider making the spellshape attack create a silent image, increasing in power as you level, and letting all formulae affect that. That'd be lulzy.

After looking at it briefly, I think I'm actually going to abandon the prismatic circle idea.  It's just...too much.  It would effectively be seven new circles in one, and I'm pretty sure that I'd run out of ideas long before completing 147 different effects.  So, yeah, no.

An excellent response. Prismatics are eeeevvvviiiillll...

Except for Zelretch. Eh's a pretty cool guy.

I've also been bouncing around some ideas for more character options for the other base classes, along the same lines as the recent elemental adept material.  We'll see if anything results from that.

Hm... Maybe something like the Bladebound Magus archetype from Pathfinder for the Spellshape Champion?

Offline DonQuixote

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 08, 2012, 10:36:01 AM »
Of course. The thought is interesting, though, and combining it with, say, Bloodstorm Blade could result in a few shenanigans... Of the good type.

True, though it was rather the point of the class that a squishy ranged fighter would be able to progress into melee combat.  Still, I'll weigh the idea.

Simply put... DR. Now, I know that you're thinking "Oh, they aren't subject to DR", but...

That's only the energy types. Natural Balance, and the others that deal non-energy, non-untyped damage deal stuff that IS affected by DR. Let those spellshape attacks, and those alone, gain the ability to be weilded as one handed weapons, also allowing them to be used two handed in the process. Up the damage output a bit for using something that doesn't ignore DR, just to be nice.

I'm thinking I'll just switch spellforge weapons in general to one-handed weapons, then make sure to note that you're always proficient with them.  As one-handed weapons, you will be able to two-hand them by definition--giving up your shield and the class features associated with it in the process.  Besides, the only extra damage would be from Power Attack.

In terms of DR, those circles already deal--on average--one extra point of damage per die.  Given that the attack itself will scale up to six dice, plus extra dice from formulae, and you're already going to make up much of the difference.  Especially given that forging the same spellshape attack into two pieces of equipment lets you just ignore DR entirely.

Hm. A simple way would to add to it "Some lamens are of a defensive focus instead of an offensive one. If you shape a formula that grants an AC bonus to yourself or another character, increase that bonus by the Enhancement bonus of the lamen.  Spellforge Warsmiths may add the effects of Lamens to their Spellforge Armor and Shields. Much like offensive Lamens, defensive Lamens may have various abilities that are, for the most part, similar to normal magical armor enhancements. The ones recommended are as follows."

Then follow that with a decent number of enhancements, mostly cloned from normal 3.5.

Again, I'll think about it, though you already get the ability to make a retaliatory touch attack whenever a foe misses you, a deflection bonus to AC equal to your spellshaping ability modifier, immunity to an energy type or damage reduction, and spell resistance.  That's a decent bit of defense.

Other tweaks that I'll be making to the spellforge warsmith:
  • You do not add your Strength modifier to damage rolls with spellforge weapons.
  • You cannot use the spellshape champion's spellshape channeling ability in conjunction with a spellforge weapon.
  • You may only have one spellforge weapon conjured at a time.

These were always intended to be the case, but--reading through it again--I realized that they didn't come through properly.

----

Hm.... Perhaps a little bit of real illusions? Maybe something like Figment of Light, from Brilliant Dawn? I think a defensive/subtle circle is an interesting idea. After all, not all magic is blowing shit up.

Also, consider making the spellshape attack create a silent image, increasing in power as you level, and letting all formulae affect that. That'd be lulzy.

Well, almost every effect is based off of an existing illusion spell, and a good number of them are "traditional" illusions.  However, the spellshape attack is remaining an attack--as I've said before, I don't want to break the standard form.  Especially with the complications involved in an at-will silent image that scales up to (presumably) major image or so--much less one that can be obtained by anyone with a single feat.

Hm... Maybe something like the Bladebound Magus archetype from Pathfinder for the Spellshape Champion?

Quite possibly, yes.

----

In other other news--and I'm not sure where this came from--there may be an upcoming revision to the lavamancer.  I spontaneously stopped liking the pool of magma as the core mechanic for everything, and I've ceased to like the form that Surging Eruption ended up taking.  So, yeah.

----

Update: Changes have been posted to the online versions of the lavamancer and the spellforge warsmith.  PDFs should be updated later today or tomorrow.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 01:02:15 PM by DonQuixote »
“Hast thou not felt in forest gloom, as gloaming falls on dark-some dells, when comes a whisper, hum and hiss; savage growling sounds a-near, dazzling flashes around thee flicker, whirring waxes and fills thine ears: has thou not felt then grisly horrors that grip thee and hold thee?”

Offline DonQuixote

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 09, 2012, 10:51:26 PM »
New PDFs are up.

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 10, 2012, 05:30:27 PM »
Where did you get the art for the cover of the book?
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline DonQuixote

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 10, 2012, 06:12:02 PM »
So, a year and a half ago, I started playing D&D.  I grew very attached to my character--a bard/dragon disciple/crusader--and, at one point, commented online that it would be pretty cool if any art majors at my school were interested in drawing him for me.

Well, my uncle saw it.  My uncle, who has painted several pictures that are currently hanging in my parents' house.

So, he ended up going through several drafts.  A sketch, which I used to help him with a color guide, the cover of Codex I, then the final draft--the cover of Codex II.

He died this past summer.  I'm never using any other avatar on a D&D board again.

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 10, 2012, 07:45:48 PM »
All respects to your dead uncle.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline DonQuixote

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 20, 2012, 01:39:40 AM »
So, apparently, I put far too much work into making the PDFs look like actual sourcebooks.  To the extent that they've been removed from MediaFire because they were believed to violate the Terms of Service and Acceptable Use Policy.

I'll be putting all other stuff on hold while I try to figure out how to get them back online without running into this problem again.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 20, 2012, 11:16:12 AM »
Wow, that's something. Good luck sorting this trouble out. I'd hate to see this work disappear.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 20, 2012, 11:18:34 AM »
I know a number of people on minmax have their own websites, why don't you ask around and see if anyone is willing to post them for you?
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline DonQuixote

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 20, 2012, 11:41:36 AM »
Wow, that's something. Good luck sorting this trouble out. I'd hate to see this work disappear.

Well, nothing's disappearing--everything's up on the boards, and I still have a copy of everything on my computer.  Including most of the older versions.  Sometimes, I open up the first draft and laugh at myself.

I know a number of people on minmax have their own websites, why don't you ask around and see if anyone is willing to post them for you?

I have several ideas that I'm going to poke at later this week, when I'm not up to my neck in work.  I'll keep that one in mind, though.  My willy-nilly approach to editing and re-posting the PDFs might prove to be a bit of an issue, depending on the setup.

I suspect that a large part of this is a misunderstanding, since I did obsessively edit the documents to look like actual sourcebooks.  So, it might be possible to just throw things back up onto MediaFire, with proper notation declaring them as user-created content.  I'm going to be checking that later tonight.

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 20, 2012, 12:27:54 PM »
They're paranoid about copyrighted material lately, what with the Megaupload case. Somebody just reports things to be an ass and they'd drop it first, and ask later.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline DonQuixote

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 20, 2012, 09:21:45 PM »
Well, I've re-posted both PDFs, adding a description to each one that clearly states that they are player-created content.  Hopefully, it won't happen again.

Fixed a small typo in the Codex I formula lists, in which Dragging Tide was called Inextolerable Tide.

Offline DonQuixote

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 22, 2012, 11:14:45 PM »
So, the PDFs are staying up thus far.  Huzzah!

The fact that I haven't had much time has kept me from actually looking at Fleeting Image again.  This has a decent amount to do with my still-vague grasp on illusions, coupled with a certain level of intimidation factor.  I have, however, been toying a bit with character options to write after I finally get Fleeting Image done.  I'm planning on two more ACFs for every base class, as well as feats designed with specific base classes in mind.  For example, there is probably going to be a spellshape champion feat chain that ends up letting you full attack as a part of shaping a formula.

In terms of actual things that have happened, I've been doing a lot of one-shots with friends recently, and it came to light that the dragonheart adept was just silly.  It got way too much AC too quickly, had too many maneuvers and formulae, and just had way too much going for it.  The notion came up that it may have been head-and-shoulders above any other spellshaper class.

So, I've restricted your options for secondary disciplines, removed its stances, removed the Charisma bonus to AC, and lowered its formulae/maneuvers known by 4.  We'll see how it plays now.

Offline DonQuixote

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 28, 2012, 05:47:03 PM »
So, I've actually reached the point with some of the new Spellshape Champion options that it looks like they'll go up before Fleeting Image does.  There's also going to be some Spellshape Champion errata going up at the same time.  To give you an idea of what's coming, here's a quick, poorly-worded summary.

• Errata: Hit Die changed to d12, Champion's Threat ability removed, Armor Mastery abilities combined and moved to level 7, Enduring Champion ability moved to level 18.
  • New Alternative Class Feature 1: Give up medium and heavy armor and all shields, lose Daunting Presence, Armor Mastery, and Vigilant Combatant abilities - Gain a scaling dodge bonus to AC (capping at +5), the Uncanny Dodge ability, Fast Movement 10 ft., and Acrobatic Skill Mastery.
  • New Alternative Class Feature 2: Give up familiar - Receive an intelligent magic weapon that allows you to fully manifest spellshape attacks and possesses a scaling lamen bonus.  The weapon also has a few 1/encounter abilities that involve sacrificing prepared formulae.
  • New Feat 1: Prerequisite: Spellshape channeling class feature, base attack bonus +6 - If you miss with a single melee attack made as a part of shaping a formula, can attempt a second attack with a -5 penalty.
  • New Feat 2: Prerequisite: New Feat 1, base attack bonus +11 - Whenever you would make a single melee attack with a channeled spellshape attack as a part of shaping a formula, you can increase the shaping action to a full-round action to instead make a full attack.  You must target the same creature with all of your attacks.  Cannot be used with Retaliatory Shaping.
  • New Feat 3: Prerequisite: New Feat 2, retaliatory shaping 3/day - When making a full attack as a part of shaping a formula (see New Feat 2), you can choose to also move up to your speed.  However, you must move at least 5 feet between each attack, and you cannot return to a square you just exited.  You can target multiple creatures with this full attack, applying the effects of the formula against each creature struck by your attack.  Cannot be used with Retaliatory Shaping.
  • New Feat 4: Prerequisite: Champion's resolve class feature, retaliatory shaping 1/day - Whenever you make an attack with your retaliatory shaping ability, if there is any damage in your Champion's Resolve pool, you can choose to take that damage immediately (losing the Shaper's Focus bonuses) in order to gain a bonus on your attack and damage rolls with your retaliatory attack equal to the damage that had been in the pool.

Update 2/29/12: New PDFs posted, including some errata, clarifications, and typo fixes.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 12:52:27 PM by DonQuixote »

Offline DonQuixote

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 01, 2012, 02:00:10 PM »
The new spellshape champion options are up.

Offline DonQuixote

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 19, 2012, 07:41:12 PM »
Guess what I finally did?

Edit: Also pushed some errata.  New codex PDFs are up.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 08:49:49 PM by DonQuixote »

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 19, 2012, 11:04:02 PM »
You... win.

Offline DonQuixote

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 20, 2012, 12:08:45 AM »
I shall take that as a good thing!

In other news, my "New Material To Do" list has been getting longer.  In addition to writing the character options for the other four base classes, it looks like I'll be trotting out three new races, racial substitution levels for them, some new feats, some prestige classes, and possibly elementals with innate spellshaping abilities.  We'll see when these things hit the table.