Author Topic: The Small Rants Thread XII: The Folly of Life  (Read 180220 times)

Offline altpersona

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • You are here
Re: The Small Rants Thread XII: The Folly of Life
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2017, 06:58:03 PM »
I cannot for the life of me figure out why I thought getting back into I.T. was a good idea (I didn't, but I started to).

I'm setting up a game server and fml its fighting me...
The goal of power is power. - 1984
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow
The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga still sux.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2017, 07:09:58 PM »
HR, my boss, his boss and the two I accused had a 4 hour meeting Friday.  Called boss to ask for 2nd shift cause the guys I turned in are still there.  He says HR makes that call, and they wont until they make decision on can of worms I opened.  So apparently they're in no hurry, and I have to work with these guys till one is final.  And the gf of the asshole I turned in has realized he's cheating on her I think.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2017, 09:14:02 PM »
Still on shutdown mode but somehow OK, got the energy to do a LOT today and exam went well. Maybe everything's going to be fine? Don't know. Got good news today. This week promises a lot. Careful not to make any wild speculations and end up being fucked by nothing going my way. Running on empty, maybe sleep soon... zZZzz
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2017, 04:19:18 PM »
So last night is sposed to be Shifty's first night back. New girl shows up, and coworkers say "Oh, S- must still be suspended." No one should know this but one of the guards said he'd posted it on facebook. I was also told they had to post bid for the second shift position, but no one who might take it outranks me in seniority so it was pretty much mine, so no more Shifty for me hopefully. Boss seems cheerful (mebbe a lil too much) and tells me I have no repercussions coming.

11 o'clock Friday night an alarm went off, and wouldnt shut off. No one answered phone cause it was a holiday weekend. So Sunday night a fill in puts key in alarm system to reset it and shut it off. Which has the potential to shut off the fire alarm. Hadda tell boss that lovely bit this morning.

Got rained on all night. 20 minutes till quitting time I go inside to use the bathroom, and a client employee is standing in front of a urinal, hands on hips, repeatedly flushing it. I ask what's up, and he says "I'm watching my pee die." I don't want to stay over to fill out the paperwork further conversation will result in and say "Carry on then." and left while the leaving was good.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2017, 05:23:21 PM »
Saturday was borked. Racist Gurl took vacation for second half of her shift (she works two doubles on the weekend). Shifty calls off to deliberately fuck her, cause he knew the other guy on second wouldn't be there and she'd have to stay. I ignore my phone cause I knew it would happen day before and I was too messed up to work a double. So I go in at 10 and she is furious. And I mean furious, vowing revenge on boss and shifty in what is literally a cartoon supervillain "I...WILL HAVE...My...REVENGE!" monologue. It was kinda scary to see. Says she has own business and only needs this job for insurance, and she has videos and pictures and other evidence and she's dropping the bomb this wednesday, and she may lose job but she's taking boss and his cronies with her. I told her a few things just for giggles.

Also learn that boss fibbed, and client liaison was fired. We all got new badges (which liaison makes, and her name goes on) from J_, who is the liaisons boss, and her job is being advertised. Shifty was at least written up, and has decided to look for new job. In meantime has said fuck the rules, and is deliberately pissing off everyone. Also learned my boss was demoted at former security company cause he came to work drunk and crashed into a parked car. Key to the alarm system has gone missing (boss took it).

So I go back in TUesday, and come Wednesday all hell will break loose. The downside is, if they fire Racist Gurl the rest of us prolly wont be far behind, and there will only be one person on all three shifts for 2 days a week (were required to have at least 2).

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2017, 10:13:17 PM »
Oslecamo's Phantasy Star PbP is stalled as heck.  :(
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2017, 12:07:04 AM »
Today was weird. As soon as I step foot on property "Boss wants to see you." Fuck-a-diddle. Turns out we have to sign a paper stating we were basically informed "the following bullshit will not be tolerated anymore." Most of it seems to be what I turned in shifty for. Boss claims 6 guards came forward to tattle, possibly not just about Shifty. New partner on second immediately begins to gossip about shifty, and when i get back from patrol he has paperwork filled out for a shift switch already signed asking me for signature. Im told he's autistic with ADD and he obviously has an issue or two so I think nothing of it.

Old dude shows up. Tells me he'll give me his license to hold while he's on property, amd I'm like "Who are you?" Turns out he's not an employee, but his car was hit by one and he wants to see if that employees vehicle is on property so he can take pics of the damage. Obviously I can't do that and file report. He returns with cops while I'm on patrol and my partner says "obviously I can't do that." He is now restricted from property.

And I scared the geese. Maybe they didn't recognize me due to being there in the daylight now. That, or they went "Hey isn't that...ANOMALOUS BEHAVIOR DETECTED IN THE HUMANSES! WINGED BATTLE FORMATION IS GO!"

New kid needs Saturday off, new girl needs sunday off,my partner will be in surgery. So the weekend is borked...and thats without Racist Gurl's threatened info dump come the morrow.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2017, 01:29:22 AM »
Welcome to super drama night! Free Llamas for all!

As I go in boss tells me he needs me to work a few 12's while he hides the "employee termination request form' just a little too slow. And as I'm leaving says "Oh btw, let P_ know too, Shifty is off the schedule tonight. If he shows tell him he's supposed to leave. If he won't call me and I'll handle it, and probably tell you to call cops." All nonchalant like. He's left Shifty a message, so we figure no way he'll show. At which point I realize, he didn't tell us wth we're supposed to tell 3rd shift. So I call and he says "Don't tell them shit, I don't want gossip and rumors (note to current and future management: this is how you start gossip and rumors)."

So as P_ leaves on shift we get call for taking associate for drug test. P- takes him, comes back, immediately u-turns and leaves again. Comes back with associate. Turns out it's associate's first day, and he has no company id badge, so hospital wont test him. They find him an id number and we take him back, hospital still refuses. Why is this happening you ask? Because any workplace injury results in a drug test. The nature of his injury: He got stung by a bee and his hand puffed up a little. He just got drug tested to get the job.

While I was gone boss openly told P_ that Shifty was fired.

Speaking of which, after all of third shows up, so does Shifty. And we're like, well fuck. P_ volunteers to give shifty the news, and then Shifty leaves. Everyone on 3rd asks me wtf, and I say I dont know. So they call Shifty and put him on speaker phone to ask him wtf. At which point he tells them he was termed for using foul language inside building on rounds without using protective gear. No idea if thats actual reason why. He then says "I gotta go I have to call people." And it's my quitting time so I'm like "Seeya, watch out for raccoons."

When I stay over on third this week I'm bringing Officer Peanut a celebratory cheeseburger. Raccoons love cheeseburgers right?

Edit: also found my fave new client employee. Little old lady wif huge yellow SUV bearing hazmat symbols, faux contact info and an official looking Zombie Outbreak Response Team logo.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2017, 10:06:58 PM »
Today I realized that my emotional support network sucks.  I get more support here than I do from the people that actually know me.

I'm refraining from posting on Facebook because that will just end in people getting nosy when they don't actually care enough to be helpful.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2017, 12:37:18 AM »
Moar high drama. Racist Gurl calls off last Saturday, knowing it's hard to cover for her because she does doubles. Prolly in revenge for her being stiffed out of her vacation last week. So new kid has to stay over and work first wif boss. New kid requested the night off cause he's moving back to his parents house, so he's not happy. He ducks out while boss is on patrol and leaves guard shack empty for an hour. The worst possible hour too, as the salary employees are coming to the shack to sign in for overtime. So he kinda screwed us on his way out.

Then someone lobs an object from the road into the parking lot, which promptly explodes and gives off a cloud of blue smoke. No idea wtf thats about. Then I arrive, and while boss is smoking a cigarette I get an anonymous call saying they'd like to report an employee who's a coke fiend. Boss heads home and much of the rest of the day is peaceful.

At roughly 12:42 am the next day, we get a call saying ambulance is on way to front lobby. Guy is type 1 diabetic and his sugar is in the high 500's and he's blinking in and out of consciousness. Ambulance isn't showing, and client asks if I called them. Told him I was told to meet them at lobby. Turns out the officer who told me they were on the way was supposed to call ambulance. I call 911 to confirm and no, no ones called them. So ambulance finally arrives at 1:19. Client is pissed, and rightfully so. Ask the officer whats u, and he says "They told me he was coming in a weird phrasing...something like we need an ambulance at the lobby..."

I would fire the asshole if it were me. Pretty sure my boss won't tho.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2017, 06:04:45 PM »
Hugs for Nansh , bigger box of popcorn for Bhu.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2017, 08:33:21 PM »
You have all heard cases of elderly abuse. Here's one of the abuser being the elderly  :banghead

I'm a part-time caregiver of sorts for a friend. I regularly have to de-escalate situations between the grandmother (henceforth "she") and every other member of the family.

She is extremely manipulative. Her behavior would fall into the "well intentioned but unhelpful" type of quirks,except that when she thinks she isn't being observed, she becomes much more capable and destructive in ways that target people personally.

- She is partially deaf, meaning everyone needs to repeat themselves and she yells at everyone...
...but there is no record of it medically, and she regularly eavesdrops by listening against doors and windows (we can hear her fumble around when we approach doors and when caught she pretends to be "stretching her legs")

- She likes to clean the house...
...but she does it by breaking into locked or otherwise private rooms (she has damaged locks, removed safety tape over electrical systems, and even entirely removed a doorknob), then usually breaking objects, taking favored items to hide until later (we've observed her planting then "finding" them around the house later as a reason to yell at someone for being "careless"), or outright disassembling things that prevent entry

- She does the laundry sometimes...
...and items that people express favor towards (favorite shirt, comfortable undergarments, etc) end up in the trash. She pretends she doesn't know where they went.

- She cares deeply about the pets...
...except she has gotten multiple pets killed with "home remedies" or "cleaning accidents". Remember how she breaks into rooms and messes around? One room in the house has a single switch that toggles the power to the whole room. That switch has tape thoroughly covering it (literally impossible to flip) and a sign directly over it that explains that the animals will die if the switch is turned off (temperature controls/incubation/etc). This tape was of course removed, the sign nowhere to be found, and the room was cold when the family member who owned those pets got home. RIP chicks, almost RIP snake. She also permanently blinded her grandaughter's emotional support dog with a homemade abrasive "eye wash", necessitating the dog being put down.

Her defense is usually saying she didn't do anything, then saying it wasn't her fault, then saying she doesn't care if something/one was damaged because nobody is ever thankful for her help. Deny/Deflect/Discredit grandma style.

I said before that she targets people personally, here's what I mean:

- She knows that the autistic grandson won't fight her, so she berates him for things he can't defend himself over and blames him for everything she can, but only when he's in earshot.
- She knows that the granddaughter with the service/emotional support animal requires relative peace without interruption to work (artist) and a safe place to decompress with her dog, so she repeatedly bothers her (and ONLY her) with inane but harmless questions (did you eat? did you see the new bottle opener I got?, Do you know where the remote is?) which she of course "can't hear" the answers to, until the granddaughter becomes "disrespectful" by raising her voice, which usually escalates into both of them screaming at each other.
- She knows that the mother and father are relatively straightforward, so she goads them by saying things like "I wish you had died instead of my other son" until they slam a door, then starts reciting every failure she can think of as loud as she can until they lose it and leave the house.
- She knows her husband won't speak up unless it's an emergency, since his indifference towards her antics was legendary even BEFORE he had a stroke and his attention span took a hit. They are both very clear that there is no love between them, they just don't believe in divorce or separation.
- The only member of the household she doesn't go after is the minor, who from the moment he joined the household (as a teen) has ignored her, worn earbuds, and never let her learn anything about him.

In a recent case, she cornered Mom, berated her, then struck her, leaving cuts. Grandpa stepped in, managed to separate them, but also somehow broke his arm across grandma's face causing a black eye. The police have informed us that no matter what she does, the elderly are a protected class and any injury is an aggression by the younger party, because they are expected to control themselves and defend without letting her hurt them.

Multiple people in the household have developed intense suicidal ideation and have had to have been removed from the home for up to a year, only to relapse within a few hours of re exposure to her behavior.

Offline RedWarlock

• Crimson-colored caster of calamity
    • View Profile
    • Red Blade Studios
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2017, 09:26:22 PM »
Holy shit. I have no adequate words. I've heard of little snippets of that kind of passive-agression in my own family, but never to that degree. Sounds like a venomous, vicious sadist. I wouldn't blame them for dumping her in a hellhole retirement home. No guilt to be had.
WarCraft post-d20: A new take on the World of WarCraft for tabletop. I need your eyes and comments!

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2017, 09:26:43 PM »
You need better cops!

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2017, 11:42:36 PM »
I wouldn't blame them for dumping her in a hellhole retirement home. No guilt to be had.

If I could, I'd have the grandpa put in a nice home, grandma put in a ward, the parents forced into rehab (they are serial substance abusers), and the remaining 2 adults (the artist granddaughter and the autistic grandson) would be the caretakers of the property till the old bat kicks it while providing for the minor (high school, so not too long)

Edit: Hell, I'd move in with them at that point. They would have the space, and I already act as a caretaker there.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 11:47:03 PM by Nytemare3701 »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2017, 12:15:44 AM »
I can't find my sewing kit.  There isn't anywhere for the damn thing to be hiding!  WHERE IS IT?!?  RAGE!!!!

Edit: Found it.   :blush

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2017, 10:49:50 AM »
Nytemare, what kind of psychiatric help have you guys sought regarding her abuse? It would be best to remove her from interaction entirely.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2017, 01:53:18 AM »
Nytemare, what kind of psychiatric help have you guys sought regarding her abuse? It would be best to remove her from interaction entirely.

It's cute that you think any of them can afford medical help at all. The victims at least...Grandma apparently has all the meds she could ever want.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2017, 10:52:21 AM »
Ah, crap. So you too live in a place with no available free psych clinics...

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2017, 12:38:55 PM »
Ah, crap. So you too live in a place with no available free psych clinics...

'Murica!