Author Topic: The Small Rants Thread XII: The Folly of Life  (Read 180186 times)

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
  • Trapped on another Earth that isn't home
    • View Profile
Re: The Small Rants Thread XII: The Folly of Life
« Reply #280 on: October 21, 2018, 02:02:32 PM »
Out of curiosity what is different now?
Disclosure: I have not done anything for Halloween in over 15 years, not even receive any trick or treaters.
That's the difference :p

People have been steadily moving away from trick-or-treating their neighborhood on the night of Halloween in favor of organized trunk-and-treats on a more commercially available afternoon. In those celebration dead organizations kids dress up in character advertisements to line up and march down a mall hallway, school gym, or at worst a parking lot like some kind of unsophisticated hick. People and local businesses hand out candy and flyers in an efficient assembly line that'll give you the time needed to make it home before dinner.

Now obviously I'm pointing out the worst case but people participating in the "safe stop" areas are not around or don't feel like they should participate in neighborhood. Stranger danger and the entire hovering parenting thing have gone a long way to turning your kids loose to do much of anything. You'll often find a mix of both in cities as some people push back for various reasons, like feeling that the neighborhood part brings people together and avoids the over commercialization. In your case, you are yet another person avoiding it or simply happen to live somewhere where no one cares and they like the assembling line of handouts.

Come gather 'round people
Wherever you roam
And admit that the waters
Around you have grown
And accept it that soon
You'll be drenched to the bone.
If your time to you
Is worth savin'
Then you better start swimmin'
Or you'll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changin'

« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 02:05:21 PM by trappedslider »

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 21, 2018, 02:29:26 PM »
haa!  :D

Out of curiosity what is different now?
Disclosure: I have not done anything for Halloween in over 15 years, not even receive any trick or treaters.

Yeah, kids have pulled more than enough candy out of moms at grocery checkout lines.

I usually wear something out-there on halloween, for the spirit of the whole thing.
This t-shirt scared people all night (their reaction kinda scared me on total volume).

Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 21, 2018, 08:18:11 PM »
So no heart issues.  K_ tried to talk her way out of quitting but no dice.  A week later boss mysteriously quits.  Then changes her mind the next day and gets told no.  The bosses boss asks all of us if we want to be new boss, and strings everyone along for three days before telling us all "Old boss gave you all misconducts, and you cant have one if you want to be a boss."

So they gave it to L_.  L_ is a 75 year old retiree who supposedly owned 20 gas stations out of state, which he sold to take this job.  He was a fill in we hired 4 months ago.  He's worked a total of 5 days, and has no experience as a guard and has had at least 2 open heart surgeries.  He is also a loud and proud Trump apologist at a post where Trump is...not well liked.  He's also an old school "I think calling black people 'coon' is funny" sort of racist.  His trainer is our lone African-American employee, and he's already seconds away from killing L_ because the old man seems incapable of using a pc or cell phone, both of which are required for the job.  He doesn't think women should be in the workplace.  Every single employee with the ability to fire him is female.  He loves to tell rambling, 'funny' stories that will get him fired if the right people hear them.  As in "Have I told you about the time I watched the cops shoot a negro in the dick because he got loud with them?"

I sense interesting times in my near future.

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #283 on: October 22, 2018, 08:09:25 AM »
So no heart issues.  K_ tried to talk her way out of quitting but no dice.  A week later boss mysteriously quits.  Then changes her mind the next day and gets told no.  The bosses boss asks all of us if we want to be new boss, and strings everyone along for three days before telling us all "Old boss gave you all misconducts, and you cant have one if you want to be a boss."

So they gave it to L_.  L_ is a 75 year old retiree who supposedly owned 20 gas stations out of state, which he sold to take this job.  He was a fill in we hired 4 months ago.  He's worked a total of 5 days, and has no experience as a guard and has had at least 2 open heart surgeries.  He is also a loud and proud Trump apologist at a post where Trump is...not well liked.  He's also an old school "I think calling black people 'coon' is funny" sort of racist.  His trainer is our lone African-American employee, and he's already seconds away from killing L_ because the old man seems incapable of using a pc or cell phone, both of which are required for the job.  He doesn't think women should be in the workplace.  Every single employee with the ability to fire him is female.  He loves to tell rambling, 'funny' stories that will get him fired if the right people hear them.  As in "Have I told you about the time I watched the cops shoot a negro in the dick because he got loud with them?"

Bhu, please send co-ordinates so I know where to aim my cruise missiles.
Mudada.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 22, 2018, 11:38:39 AM »
Write a script about the various events and maybe Netflix will make a show about it. :D

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: October 22, 2018, 05:24:02 PM »
So this lady I was romantically interested in has gone back to her ex. It pretty much sucks, though at this point I've been rejected so many times it's got sort of a 'drop in the bucket' quality to it.
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 22, 2018, 05:40:58 PM »
Got a text containing a nude photo of my HR Manager with a link to more last week.  Noooo way I am touching this.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 22, 2018, 05:45:17 PM »
I understand that you're not doing it out of your love for being employed (as opposed to your love for the workplace), but is she at least hawt  :p
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline wotmaniac

• Legendary Member
  • Procrastinator in Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 22, 2018, 05:50:59 PM »
Jebus, bhu -- have you ever had anything resembling a "normal" workplace?
I swear, "bhu's workplaces" = "kevinvideo's GMs" .... it's f'n crazy.

also, .... yeah, is she at least hot?

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 22, 2018, 06:06:20 PM »
Hot is subjective.  If you like plus size women in their 40's, then yes.  Yes she is.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 22, 2018, 06:50:04 PM »
The question is, did she send it or did someone else?

I could see either one with your workplace...

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #291 on: October 22, 2018, 07:45:53 PM »
Got a text containing a nude photo of my HR Manager with a link to more last week.  Noooo way I am touching this.

Correction Bhu.  Carpet bombers are on their way.  Please evacuate the area and allow 4-6 hours for the smoke to clear.  It's the only way.
Mudada.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 22, 2018, 07:59:33 PM »
The question is, did she send it or did someone else?

I could see either one with your workplace...

I don't get along with her so well, and she liked K_ and the former boss.  My guess is that someone sent these to stir trouble and they think I'll be stupid enough to spread them around.  Odds are the former boss might figure she can worm her way back in if we lose enough people at the site because of something like this. 

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: October 23, 2018, 04:10:15 PM »
Look on the bright side :  at least she/they didn't include the Ducks in ...
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 23, 2018, 04:23:00 PM »
You need to write a book. You have the raw material at hand to make the security counterpart to Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #295 on: October 24, 2018, 06:22:50 PM »
I never posted here drunk as a matter of principle

But i am drunk now

And i feel like breaking some principles

because breaking principles is fun

when you don't kill anyone

or make any permanent lasting damage

so what's uuuuuuuuuuuup
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #296 on: October 25, 2018, 07:35:09 AM »
I never posted here drunk as a matter of principle

But i am drunk now

And i feel like breaking some principles

because breaking principles is fun

when you don't kill anyone

or make any permanent lasting damage

so what's uuuuuuuuuuuup

QUICKLY YOU MUST EAT ALL THE CHEETOS DON'T ASK ITS FOR NATIONAL SECURITY THE WORLD IS COUNTING ON YOU GO GO GO!
Mudada.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 25, 2018, 11:45:15 AM »
QUICKLY YOU MUST EAT ALL THE CHEETOS DON'T ASK ITS FOR NATIONAL SECURITY THE WORLD IS COUNTING ON YOU GO GO GO!
He was drunk, not high on THC and MDMA. :huh

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 25, 2018, 12:52:12 PM »
He was drunk, not high on THC and MDMA. :huh

I've known some drunk people who were extremely suggestible.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: October 28, 2018, 04:16:29 PM »
I'm beginning to think II need to get high on LSD before work.  It can't be any worse.