Author Topic: Communication with Command (OOC) II  (Read 14400 times)

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
Re: Communication with Command (OOC) II
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2016, 03:25:26 PM »
Any feedback on my spell selection for Sterros?

(click to show/hide)

I'm not fully satisfied with what I selected, which includes some BFC, debuffing, and buffing spells, as well as a single damage spell (which likely won't see too much use unless I want to burn through extra spell points each round. My retrieved spell list is pretty limited, but I tried to keep it well rounded. One of the six total spells retrieved is stuck with Mage Armor, otherwise I'll be a total sitting duck (no armor or natural armor bonus like with the previous build, which was gestalted with a monster race), and another is filled with Nerveskitter to help boost my Initiative. I could drop that one, but then I risk going last each combat.

Thoughts?

Otherwise, I pretty much just need to finish equipment for him.

Offline geniussavant

• Honorary Mod
  • Neither genius nor savant, mostly just confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2016, 11:29:32 PM »
Looks pretty good to me, only thing I might change is swapping out Ray of enfeeblement for something else. It's a good spell, but pretty similar to Ray of clumsiness.
Smile beautiful. It's not as bad as you think.
I usually post from my phone. Please excuse any typos. I swear, they're the phone's fault.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2016, 08:09:51 AM »
One thing I'll point out is that dustform creatures are blind, so bombing an area with glitterdust for them is actually kind of perfect. Whereas they'll fall over trying to cope with grease (they lose Dex, among other things). I'd (personally) also probably swap out Quickblast for Transposition, given both its limited damage, and your stated unlikeliness to use it. That way you'll be safer, and can also toss a meat shield into the right place. Or the ever-popular teleport in for a full attack option.

Items added for the WitW:
Lesser Rod of Extend (3000gp)
Nature's Children (complete champion) (350gp)
Chainshirt (100gp)
Tower Shield (30gp)
Shapesand 2 jugs (200gp)
Healing Belt (750gp)
Sling (0gp)

Still need a few more ideas, though.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2016, 11:32:57 AM »
Quickblast is great with Fell Drain, though (swift action, 1 negative level, no save unless they've got Evasion or something). Alone, its 2-5 damage is nothing special, and you can probably get something better out of the extra retrieved spell slot.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2016, 01:32:29 PM »
Hmm, if I pair swift expeditious retreat (or swift fly) with benign transposition, I could be a pretty good mobility repositioner, without spending too many spell points on lasting duration spells.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2016, 10:23:00 PM »
Hmm, if I pair swift expeditious retreat (or swift fly) with benign transposition, I could be a pretty good mobility repositioner, without spending too many spell points on lasting duration spells.

I like this idea :D

Genius, I bluntly, made a mistake when working from memory on the dustform creature. It's far too powerful for the campaign. So, in the interests of not breaking things, what CR of dustform should I be aiming at? 3, 4, 5?

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2016, 03:51:49 AM »
I went through and changed up some of my maneuvers and stances to more focus on damage, since Phaedrus is basically a flat-out superior tank (assuming he ever shows up).  I also scribbled down the beginnings of a backstory.  Does anyone want to collaborate?

"Rorik Firebeard is a professional adventurer and blade-for-hire.  He travels the world collecting stories and loot, sending the profits home to support his wife and two daughters.  He is a member of the Wayward Path, a group of like-minded people who gather their tales of adventure in the interdimensional Grand Library.  Currently, he is in the employ of [one of his party mates], working as a bodyguard."
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2016, 06:14:15 AM »
Phae is on vacation until July 8th - he let us know he'd have no Internet. So we should see him back soon.

Offline geniussavant

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2016, 07:28:04 AM »
Genius, I bluntly, made a mistake when working from memory on the dustform creature. It's far too powerful for the campaign. So, in the interests of not breaking things, what CR of dustform should I be aiming at? 3, 4, 5?

I was looking at something slightly more powerful than a skeleton. Probably around the higher end of CR 5. Looking at the template quickly, it doesn't seem too out of sorts unless I'm missing something. The biggest difference I can see is the blind sight ability. What an I missing?
I usually post from my phone. Please excuse any typos. I swear, they're the phone's fault.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2016, 07:48:37 AM »
Discussion starts here. The Stone Giant pet is CR 10, officially. Now, I think our party could take it without too much trouble, but having me running around with a CR 10 pet against campaign monsters who expect an ECL 5 party is abusive.

Offline geniussavant

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2016, 11:56:25 AM »
Gotcha, I thought they lost their feats and most abilities like a skeleton. I kind of like the using cr of the creature instead of the hd. Use cr after the template. We can try that and see what happens.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2016, 12:41:21 PM »
This is what the updated spell looks like. As a result of the various changes, the highest CR creature I can animate is CR 1 (+2 from the template for CR 3). And two of them (post template) equal ECL 5, the most I can control. Which points towards things like Large Monstrous Centipede, Giant Bees, Light Warhorse, Krenshar, and Lemure.

(click to show/hide)

Offline geniussavant

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2016, 12:52:58 AM »
Bump it up so that you can animate a creature with a Cr up to your caster level minus 2. That should allow you to animate a cr 3 creature at caster level 5 giving you a Cr 5 minion

Basically like a leadership ability then but with a guaranteed lack of spell casting and no equipment other then what comes from your wealth.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2016, 06:21:24 AM »
In that case, the list is Dragon (Wyrmling, mostly), Dire Ape or Wolf, Formian Warrior, Unicorn, from the SRD.

Offline geniussavant

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2016, 02:30:29 PM »
That looks a little better I think. Use the same formula for price as earlier

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2016, 02:49:11 PM »
Any particular preference as to which one? (that's to teammates as well).

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2016, 05:20:54 PM »
What's least likely to get us chased out of town while still being a powerful combatant?  :lmao

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2016, 05:38:45 PM »
Unicorn or Dire Wolf, probably...

Offline geniussavant

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2016, 06:53:45 PM »
Because it keeps feats, ogre might be an decent option as well because it has hands and can use weapons/armor. But any of the forms works for me.

Honestly because it's made of sand, it's basically a walking statute of the creature. It may raise suspicion in town, but shouldn't get you chased down as long as it's kept in check. Might be asked to leave it outside of buildings in town.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2016, 07:33:39 PM »
It'll be behaving - no reason to do anything other than that except if in a fight. Don't see why I'd push hard. After all, my PC's beliefs aren't exactly going to fly with most of the townsfolk. Speaking of which, is there a particular God in this setting who'd match up?