Author Topic: Specific Magic Weapons/Armor worth using (3.5+PF)?  (Read 6813 times)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Specific Magic Weapons/Armor worth using (3.5+PF)?
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2019, 11:23:20 PM »
Edit: Nevermind

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2019, 04:49:34 PM »
Fabricate is too high level for it.

Nothing however says the scrolls exclude spells with expensive material components. No 0-3 spells with particularly expensive components (Anything 100 or less is pointless since False Focus could dupe those) I'm aware of beyond Sepia Snake Sigil and Symbol of Exsanguination (500).

I see no level restriction.

This caster's shield always has one arcane scroll and knows the same arcane spells as the wielder. When the spell on the scroll is cast, another scroll of a spell the wielder knows randomly manifests to replace it. The shield has no arcane spell failure. The shield can also read magic. It will often debate with its wielder for the most devastating course of action, but does what the wielder commands.

Quote from: Caster's Shield
This +1 light wooden shield has a leather strip on the back on which a spellcaster can scribe a single spell as on a scroll. A spell so scribed requires half the normal cost in raw materials. The strip cannot accommodate spells of higher than 3rd level. The strip is reusable.

We are looking at two different items then. The  Shield of the Mage has no references to the strip's limitations.

I see what happened. One reference used them interchangably, but they are entirely different items.

Caster's Shield lets you hold a scroll in it.
Shield of the mage is a caster's shield that regenerates scrolls from your own spell list, and one could make the argument that it inherits the limitations of the much weaker base type.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 04:52:37 PM by Nytemare3701 »

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2019, 03:19:30 AM »
Edit: Nevermind
No idea who you were replying to or what you said. But if we're moving on I have a cool closing note.
The phase "Forgive me father, for I have sinned" says the same thing as "Liberate me Daddy, I've been naughty".

Also I think a certain someone might like to know about the Bow of Solars out of the A&E. It's a 100k bow but it does have a +5 Enhancement Bonus so really it's unique costs about 50k. Anyway, every arrow fired from it is a Slaying Arrow prompting a DC 20 Save or Die with each shot.

And who can forget the Manyfanged Dagger? Every attack with it deals quadruple damage and this effect costs roughly 30k.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline magic9mushroom

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2019, 03:18:38 AM »
Also I think a certain someone might like to know about the Bow of Solars out of the A&E. It's a 100k bow but it does have a +5 Enhancement Bonus so really it's unique costs about 50k. Anyway, every arrow fired from it is a Slaying Arrow prompting a DC 20 Save or Die with each shot.

No, it has a +2 enhancement bonus, making the unique worth a little over +5 (or +91,200). The +5 is its Strength rating. Also, whoever calculated the bloody thing forgot that Large weapons cost twice as much, because it seems to be a 99,200 enchantment on a 900gp base and a masterwork Large mighty (+5 Str) composite longbow doesn't cost 900 gp (it costs either 1,000 or 1,500 gp depending on how weapon size interacts with mighty composite bows).

Nice job finding that, though; I was a bit bemused when I looked at the Solar entry in MM, thinking "and how much is that bow worth when the PCs inevitably loot it?".
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 02:07:38 AM by magic9mushroom »

Offline magic9mushroom

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2019, 08:04:41 AM »
Sunblade (EtCR): +1 Bastard Sword that counts as a light weapon and only needs short sword proficiency is worth 3000 GP.

It's called the Sunsword, and it's not quite that good. Without the bonding ritual, you can wield it with short sword proficiency, but it doesn't count as a light weapon (it doesn't have the magic words "wielded as if it were a short sword"). 700 gp for Weapon Familiarity is probably still too cheap, but it's not as egregious as if it were a light weapon.