Author Topic: Intro, Discussion, & Brainstorming  (Read 16024 times)

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
Re: Intro, Discussion, & Brainstorming
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2013, 01:56:01 PM »
OK, two more epic seeds: creation and force.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2014, 09:34:14 PM »
I'm having trouble finding the rules for spic spellcasting. I can't seem to find where how refinement works is defined, nor anything about how often you can cast them (the feats read as being at-will, but that doesn't sound right).

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2014, 12:04:16 AM »
I'm having trouble finding the rules for spic spellcasting. I can't seem to find where how refinement works is defined,
"Special: You may select this feat multiple times, each time choosing either a new epic spell, or attaining another refinement on a spell you already know."

nor anything about how often you can cast them (the feats read as being at-will, but that doesn't sound right).
"Epic spells are cast just as normal spells, subject to the specific details given below; you may cast epic spells any number of times per day."

From the Epic Spellcasting writeup.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2014, 11:52:13 AM »
I'd suggest splitting off the refinement to another feat so it's clearer (one feat to learn the spells, one feat to add refinement to a known spell). It would be like how it is now, but you'd have two different feats instead of the same feat twice doing different things.

So epic spells are at will, then?

Also, what about the save DC? There's no generalized formula, although every spell with a save seems to be 10 + 1/2 CL + primary casting score. However, since epic spells aren't tied to class, which primary casting score? Both for multiclass characters, and for characters in classes that use different scores for different spellcasting aspects (such as Favored Soul).

Edit: Obscure - Acting Below Notice says "your spellcasting ability score", not "your primary spellcasting ability score".
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 11:55:29 AM by Garryl »

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2014, 12:13:51 PM »
I'd suggest splitting off the refinement to another feat so it's clearer (one feat to learn the spells, one feat to add refinement to a known spell). It would be like how it is now, but you'd have two different feats instead of the same feat twice doing different things.
Done.

So epic spells are at will, then?
Indeed.

Also, what about the save DC? There's no generalized formula, although every spell with a save seems to be 10 + 1/2 CL + primary casting score. However, since epic spells aren't tied to class, which primary casting score? Both for multiclass characters, and for characters in classes that use different scores for different spellcasting aspects (such as Favored Soul).

Edit: Obscure - Acting Below Notice says "your spellcasting ability score", not "your primary spellcasting ability score".
Clarified.

I also posted the Awareness sphere.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2014, 12:48:05 PM »
Refined Spellcasting should say non-apex epic spell.

I'm not sure being at will works with all epic spells. Abundant Animus, at the very least, makes you all but unkillable. It also doesn't mesh with how non-epic spells use slots.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2014, 02:58:06 PM »
Refined Spellcasting should say non-apex epic spell.
Fixed.

I'm not sure being at will works with all epic spells. Abundant Animus, at the very least, makes you all but unkillable. It also doesn't mesh with how non-epic spells use slots.
Hm.  I'm not sure how to handle slots, though, and I'd rather stay away from per-day in general... but if we did per-day, you could have one epic slot (usable for any spell you know) for each of the four feats that you take...? I mean, with Abundant Animus, you have to use an immediate action so it's not like you'll be able to cast unlimited of them in a round... also if you use it on yourself you lose your equipment unless you have a lot of refinement on it...

I dunno. What would you suggest?

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2014, 03:52:43 PM »
It doesn't help that there are so many ways of dealing with spell knowledge and slots from all the different spellcasting classes. It might be interesting to have a number of different epic spellcasting feats that each require a different sort of basic spellcasting and give you access in a similar method. Just spitballing here, but... (Tweak numbers as needed, of course.)

Example:
Spontaneous Epic Spellcasting: Gain knowledge of 2 non-apex epic spells and 3 spontaneous epic spell slots. (Favored Soul, Sorcerer, etc.)
Prepared Epic Spellcasting: Gain knowledge of 4 non-apex epic spells and 2 prepared epic spell slots. (Cleric, Druid, Wizard, etc.)
Retrieved Epic Spellcasting: Gain knowledge of 4 non-apex epic spells and 3 retrieved epic spell slots with 1 epic spell retrieved. (Spirit Shaman)
Extra Epic Spell: Learn 1 more non-apex epic spell.
Extra Epic Slot: Gain 1 more epic spell slot of a type you have.
Extra Epic Retrieval: Retrieve 1 more epic spell at a time.
Refined Spellcasting: Add a degree of refinement to chosen non-apex epic spell.
Apex Spellcasting: Learn an apex epic spell.
Apex Refinement: Add a degree of refinement to chosen apex epic spell.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2014, 05:31:54 AM »
I do like this, actually... except that having so many different feats seems really unwieldy... hm.

EDIT: Wait, this is Great Wheel. There's only spontaneous spellcasting (prep is available for everyone as an option for fast metamagic).
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 05:42:58 AM by sirpercival »

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2017, 06:33:10 PM »
sirp, you've been pimping this project out recently.  What's the chances of it getting finished?

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2017, 07:16:46 PM »
sirp, you've been pimping this project out recently.  What's the chances of it getting finished?
Well it's farther from being finished than most of my other projects... but I do want to work more on it. I just have many things to work on :) I definitely intend to finish it eventually... especially if I get contributions from other people.