Author Topic: Ask for help to rework my character  (Read 2558 times)

Offline chuey777

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Ask for help to rework my character
« on: September 24, 2013, 02:11:53 PM »
About a week ago my dm asked me to rework my 1barb/6fighter level character because we have some house rules for moving in combat and i used it to charge nonstop.So i'm free to rework my feats and skills,but i must remove the mounted combat elements.I'm free to use any books.

my team has a cleric built for tanking and healing and a sorcerer,wizard,rouge,ranger for damage

so my character so far:
level 1 Barbarian/level 6 Fighter
(my stats rolled from pure luck and i cant change them)
str:18
dex:12
con:12
int:8
wis:8
char:13
i would like to have some weapon throw cuz the dm like to send flying wizards after me but mainly melee HEAVY damage.

for gear i have a +3 longsword and a surprise loot for level 10 (i can choose what type like a sword armor or a belt etc...) and a banded mail armor

i traded barbarian fast movement for a lion totem (pounce) and I would like to go Frenzied Berserker prestige but i just dont know if its worth to go all 10 levels and if it worth then how can i fill the 3level gap :S so i would like to ask for a good build or if you have any good tips for me i would gladly accept it :D

If you know better prestige than f.berserker for pure physical damage then i will make that :D

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
Re: Ask for help to rework my character
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 04:23:07 PM »
AFAIK, damage comes mostly from charging multiplication.  What are the house rules for moving in combat?

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 05:20:03 PM »
If you know better prestige than f.berserker for pure physical damage then i will make that :D
Heh.
(click to show/hide)
One of these days I'll really sit down and try to beat the 1 billion mark (without using infinite loops or TO powered roof jumper).
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 05:26:23 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Nezkrul

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 06:26:02 PM »
Assuming you started Barbarian 1  then went Fighter 6; this is how I suggest building at this point, without 1000 things that aren't core like the post above.  Also, I suggest asking your DM if you can flip-flop those levels, taking Barbarian 6 / Fighter 1 instead (more barbarian levels = more rage uses per day, less reliant on taking a non-fighter feat to get +2 uses; also Uncanny Dodge is awesome for a charger)

Are you allowed to take flaws?  If yes, * = feat taken via flaw; otherwise you don't need flaws to be effective.

As with everything, ASK your DM if he allows it and how he interprets things to work together before just rolling 600 damage at level 7.

Skill Ranks: take 10 ranks in Jump, its very useful inside and outside of combat, other stuff as you see needed.

Race: Human, also ask if you can take a +1 level adjustment template and start with it "bought off" (if you can, take the Draconic creature template, from Races of the Dragon)

Feats: H- Destructive Rage, 1st- Intimidating Rage, Fighter1- *Power Attack, Fighter2- *Cleave, 3rd- Extra Rage, Fighter4- Improved Buckler Defense, 6th- Leap Attack, Fighter6- Weapon Focus (longsword)

Gear- Ditch the banded mail for chain shirt, trust me you want good charge range to take advantage of your full attack at the end.  Also, I would suggest taking the "belt" surprise - more strength would help; Wear a buckler for +1 AC, swing your longsword with 2 hands for more damage.  These feats set you up to take Frenzied Zerker 1 for your 8th level.

Hope I helped a little.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 06:59:01 PM »
Is Tome of Battle allowed?  If you're thinking you might need a ranged option then the Bloodstorm Blade PrC would work pretty well for that.

What exactly are those house rules for charging?  Does it only apply to mounted stuff?  If your DM didn't like you charging so much, I have a feeling he won't be too happy with you going with pounce and doing big PA damage through FB and such, even if you don't take Shock Trooper.

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 11:47:09 PM »
There are some items that give you free movement, eg
Chronocharm of the Horizon Walker (MIC-86) - move 1/2 speed as a swift action, 1/day
Anklet of Translocation (MIC-71) - teleport 10' as a swift action, 2/day
Either of these will let you move into position as a swift action, allowing you a full action to charge.

Offline chuey777

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 08:49:40 AM »
My dm not really banned anything from the game but i would like to remain balanced to my team I think everyone play about tier 3 maybe tier 2 at the casters with their character maybe our rogue little lower i would like to do a high damage character but i dont want to ruin my dm enemies or the balance in the party

the charge was taken out because my dm boosted up the movement limits in the combat to fasten up the pace in it and because the fight often gone into chasing after feared enemies and so on... se we can take our max movement 2/3 speed instead the 5 feet step (to become a little faster than the escaping enemies) we did it in the early levels and we dont really want to change it but my charger got really unbalanced because that.

this is the only house rule we have everything else is normal.

i would like to stay with the 6 level fighter and 1 level barbarian because in the story its involved i'm mainly a fighter.

I really feel the frenzied berserker is going to be good for my character. i'm thinking about to start ir at level 8 but i will have the lvel 18,19,20 open and i wanted to have a good throwing weapon or anything ranged damage because i feel like my dm will have a frickin strong dragon or maybe an uber caster last boss.So i need to counter somehow the fly :S
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 09:00:27 AM by chuey777 »

Offline chuey777

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 10:02:11 AM »
Is Tome of Battle allowed?  If you're thinking you might need a ranged option then the Bloodstorm Blade PrC would work pretty well for that.

What exactly are those house rules for charging?  Does it only apply to mounted stuff?  If your DM didn't like you charging so much, I have a feeling he won't be too happy with you going with pounce and doing big PA damage through FB and such, even if you don't take Shock Trooper.

The bloodstorm blade sounds cool but can i avoid somehow to get an another class for the maneuvers???I think i take pounce because i cant use fast movement for anything in heavy armorand i wanted to trade for anything else but you're right i think i talk about it with my dm or i will try to do something with that.

and Nezkrul thanks for the buckler defense i was always thinking how can i use my weapon 2 handed but not loose that much ac