Author Topic: Extending Planar Shepherd  (Read 8334 times)

Offline OldManAlexi

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Extending Planar Shepherd
« on: March 04, 2013, 10:39:51 PM »
The Planar Shepherd PrC allows a character to expend two uses of wild shape in order to wild shape into an Outsider or Elemental and gain all its extraordinary, spell-like, and supernatural abilities.  The Master of Many Forms PrC allows a character to wild shape into different creature types.  Theoretically, a Planar Shepherd who takes levels in Master of Many Forms would gain new creature types that it could gain all the abilities from. 

Though, I don't think that's worth the loss of caster level.  Something to think about if you have a trick that allows you to get the abilities of both. 

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
Re: Extending Planar Shepherd
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 10:48:33 PM »
A single caster level to get the extraordinary, spell-like, and supernatural abilities of whatever form you choose sounds like a great investment.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 01:13:27 AM »
MoMF doesn't advance any caster levels.  Druid 5/PS 10/MoMF 5 loses 9th level spells, and has very few 8th's per day.  But, it has wildshape: humanoid, giant, monstrous humanoid, fey, and vermin.  Nice, but I think I'd rather have Shapechange  :p
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 02:10:07 AM »
Wild Shape Ranger is always a good choice

I've got a 25th level that has stacked things to gain ~64 HD wild shaping
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Arz

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • New season
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 04:00:52 PM »
Don't be greedy. Take Heirophant and turn your whole party into animals,plants, outsiders, etc. Power of nature; that's an extension oft overlooked.

Offline OldManAlexi

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 12:08:50 PM »

64 HD at level 25?  How did you manage that?

Offline Bastian

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Is playing a Sorcerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 12:57:40 PM »

64 HD at level 25?  How did you manage that?
I don't know exactly how he is doing it but I would assume he's using Savage Vampire from Dragon 348 combined with prcs to improve wildshaping.

Also you initial proposal doesn't work, the Planar Shepherd wildshaping to gain abilities can't be expanded by adding additional forms to normal wildshape.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 09:10:14 PM »
Its gestalt, but only one side deals with divine minion plus dragon

Mulhorandi Divine Minion Dragon Planar Wild Shape Ranger 5/Planar Shepherd 2/Uncanny Trickster 3/Master of Many Forms 9/Nature’s Warrior 5/Shapeshifter 1

check out Nature's Warrior... It increases both base class and PrC wild shapes, which means its a super whammy when added to MoMF, Planar Shepherd, and druid/wild shape ranger

then add uncanny trickster to increase your NW level by 2 more. Then add items, like wild shape amulet and the CC item set

I had to use a huge spreadsheet to work it all out

it could have gotten crazier if Dragon or Dungeon were avail, just eat Flesh of Orcus and become a Savage Vampire, plus there's other wild shape PrCs to add exponential class levels to the primary wild shape
- All Spells
- playground

Offline OldManAlexi

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 01:32:18 AM »
Also you initial proposal doesn't work, the Planar Shepherd wildshaping to gain abilities can't be expanded by adding additional forms to normal wildshape.
The Master of Many Forms PrC lets you change into different creature types when you wild shape.  Since it does not specify that they are added to a druid's normal wild shape ability, a purely RAW interpretation would be that it applies to any wild shape ability, including the Planar Shepherd's improved wild shape ability.  Obviously, this is not what was intended when these classes were created and no sane DM would allow this but that's not what this board is about. 

Also
@zook1shoe
How did you get around the Planar Shepherd's requirement for spontaneous casting of Summon Nature's Ally?

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 03:36:16 AM »
The adaptation section... I was choosing a non-Eberron plane also, so it fit
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Ithamar

• I'm not new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 06:01:00 PM »
There is also that feat in Complete Divine that lets you spontaneously cast SNA spells.  A ranger can qualify for it, as I recall.

Offline Bastian

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Is playing a Sorcerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 11:53:24 PM »
The Master of Many Forms PrC lets you change into different creature types when you wild shape.  Since it does not specify that they are added to a druid's normal wild shape ability, a purely RAW interpretation would be that it applies to any wild shape ability, including the Planar Shepherd's improved wild shape ability.  Obviously, this is not what was intended when these classes were created and no sane DM would allow this but that's not what this board is about. 

I'm sorry but you need to read Planar Shepherd again. It doesn't even slightly work. It specifies that you get the extraordinary, supernatural, and spell-like abilities of the elemental or outsider from your chosen plane, not that you get it for all forms.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2013, 03:13:56 AM »

I'm sorry but you need to read Planar Shepherd again. It doesn't even slightly work. It specifies that you get the extraordinary, supernatural, and spell-like abilities of the elemental or outsider from your chosen plane, not that you get it for all forms.

So pick a plane that has representatives of all creatures.  Or one of the heavens, and wildshape into a Celestial X.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2013, 04:24:31 AM »
Pick Far Realms as your plane, it has *every* creature as a Pseudonatural version of it.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2013, 05:48:17 AM »
Plus some tricky time stuff too
- All Spells
- playground