Author Topic: [Interest Check] 3.5. Warfare, leadership and world-saving  (Read 56601 times)

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
Re: [Interest Check] 3.5. Warfare, leadership and world-saving
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2017, 05:32:57 AM »
It sure would be nice to see someone really focusing on their army.

I could play an Orc Warlord instead with Extra Followers and a Cohort as a Savage Bard-barian and/or Warrior Skald dip (to deal with that pesky after-Rage fatigue) and Dragon Cohort for an appropriately fear-inducing mount? Maybe throw in Improved Cohort and if you'd allow it, Pathfinder's Extra Cohort? Having x4 the usual number of followers may require extra generals to keep the ranks from getting too unruly. Maybe put a Warchanter somewhere in those cohorts... And Dragon-Fire Inspiration..... Would the Bloodlines variant you're letting us use count for fulfilling DFI's prereq?  :D

Yes, I can play a Warhammer orc horde if you need more army stuff :p

Edit: Would Power of Faerun's Leadership variant stuff be cool? Off the top of my head it's got stuff for not being capped at a 25 leadership score, pre-epic, exclusively in regards to your access to followers.

Edit: My 1 homebrew item request is Os' Savage Trait  :devil
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 06:26:21 AM by ketaro »

Offline Drammor

• Seer of Void
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2017, 07:47:07 AM »
So, it looks like the interested parties are Vlad, Keta and Maelph. That's awesome! But here's a question... which church are all of you representing?

I could play an Orc Warlord instead with Extra Followers and a Cohort as a Savage Bard-barian and/or Warrior Skald dip (to deal with that pesky after-Rage fatigue) and Dragon Cohort for an appropriately fear-inducing mount? Maybe throw in Improved Cohort and if you'd allow it, Pathfinder's Extra Cohort? Having x4 the usual number of followers may require extra generals to keep the ranks from getting too unruly. Maybe put a Warchanter somewhere in those cohorts... And Dragon-Fire Inspiration..... Would the Bloodlines variant you're letting us use count for fulfilling DFI's prereq?  :D

Yes, I can play a Warhammer orc horde if you need more army stuff :p

Edit: Would Power of Faerun's Leadership variant stuff be cool? Off the top of my head it's got stuff for not being capped at a 25 leadership score, pre-epic, exclusively in regards to your access to followers.

Edit: My 1 homebrew item request is Os' Savage Trait  :devil

I really like the thought of your wereperson, but if you'd rather go this way, you're certainly welcome to. Just keep in mind that feeding that many followers may be difficult in an isolated zone. Improved Cohort and Extra Cohort are both fine, yes a dragon bloodline qualifies as dragonblooded, Faerun's leadership variant is okay; personally, I would remove the 25-cap anyway, now that I think about it. It just doesn't fit in a warfare-based campaign.

And I'm relieved to say it's either a monster class or this trait, which requires a monster class. Not both, meaning that you can't qualify for that nightmare of a "trait."

Edit: There's nothing stopping you from taking VoP, though, if that's what you want. No alignments means you're free to use feats that are normally alignment-based.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 07:49:22 AM by Drammor »
[20:32] <DonQuixote> A POX UPON YOU ALL!
[20:32] <DonQuixote> YOU, J, FOR STEALING THE PURITY OF NORNS.
[20:32] <DonQuixote> YOU, DRAMMOR, FOR ENSNARING ME IN THIS FIENDISH PRISON.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2017, 03:03:08 PM »
Taking levels in orc paragon wouldn't count?  :lmao

I enjoy VoP but we not on an orc. The flavor would be all wrong. I was totally picturing a death metal theme here with a black or redskinned orc (due to bloodline choice).

As for the wereperson, I liked the idea too but I really hadn't putuch thought into it beyond the initial idea to even look into a potential build (someone else put forth a build for it instead lol) whereas I kind of jumped all over this orc plan pretty fast and have slot of the possible build already hashed out in my head.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 03:06:14 PM by ketaro »

Offline Vladeshi

• Feel free to ignore me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2017, 03:20:43 PM »
But here's a question... which church are all of you representing?

Orc Horde, Undead swarm... Go Team Evil?

It sure would be nice to see someone really focusing on their army.

Weird yet serious question, as our DM would you say that baboons have hands?
The following explanation has been removed due to time constraints, character limits on posts, and the DC 30 Spellcraft checks to understand large portions of it.

Offline Drammor

• Seer of Void
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2017, 05:15:57 PM »
Yeah, with a horde of orcs, undead and slaughterites, you're definitely Team Evil. Which is hilarious, because it means there's no "good" side in this conflict.

Baboons? Iiieeyyyessss? Why does this feel like a trap?

Offline Vladeshi

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2017, 05:57:14 PM »
Baboons? Iiieeyyyessss? Why does this feel like a trap?

Because if baboons have hands then baboon skeletons have claw attacks as secondary natural weapons.
The following explanation has been removed due to time constraints, character limits on posts, and the DC 30 Spellcraft checks to understand large portions of it.

Offline Drammor

• Seer of Void
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2017, 07:10:34 PM »
Oh, I see. Yeah, that's fine. A little obscure and weird, but fine.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2017, 07:57:38 PM »
Okay, how about Paragon?
I just have to give up my flaws :(

Offline Chemus

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2017, 01:51:57 AM »
Umm... I'm reconsidering my Interest Check roll: I can get about 5 Cohorts/sub-cohorts, with tons of followers, and if I can (ab)use Necropolitan, I don't have to feed (*some of) them...

Although I failed my Int check regarding the fact that many Leadership affecting feats require... Leadership. What's the time-frame on game start?

Also, what's the stat value for followers, 32 PB, the NPC Tables from the DMG, or what?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 03:52:29 AM by Chemus »
Apathy is ...ah screw it.
My Homebrew

Offline Drammor

• Seer of Void
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2017, 10:54:08 AM »
Okay, how about Paragon?

Uh. Where does that link go?

Umm... I'm reconsidering my Interest Check roll: I can get about 5 Cohorts/sub-cohorts, with tons of followers, and if I can (ab)use Necropolitan, I don't have to feed (*some of) them...

Although I failed my Int check regarding the fact that many Leadership affecting feats require... Leadership. What's the time-frame on game start?

Also, what's the stat value for followers, 32 PB, the NPC Tables from the DMG, or what?

I don't have a schedule on game start at the moment, this is an interest check and not a sign-up. Given that I've met my quota on players, though, I'd expect a tentative beginning about 10 days out, with respects to the idea that I'm moving my family to another apartment in the last half of this month, as well, so the start might be a little rocky.

Followers of 5th level and above may use the elite stat array from the DMG, followers of 4th level and below may use the standard stat array.

Offline Chemus

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2017, 01:09:17 PM »
So, build so far:
Necropolitan Draconic Lesser Aasimar (RoF, humanoid, not an outsider, no LA) Paladin of Laughter 9//Marshal 6/Legendary Leader 3
S:16, D:12, C:--, I:10, W:14, C:24 (4th, 8th)

1st: Flaws(Inattentive, Meager Fort), Great Diplomat (OA), Iron Will, EWP Kusari-Gama (DMG)
3rd: Ecclesiarch (EBCS)
6th: Leadership
9th: Rulership (Power of Faerun), Improved Cohort (HoB) (L.Ldr Bonus)
12th: ???

PC's Leadership Score: 28 (presuming power, renown and good treatment) or 30 w/ stronghold

For Homebrew, (or even better as 'standard') I'd like to be able to treat the Substitution levels of, say Champions of Valor, as ACF's instead; trading Detect Evil for Detect Magic, Smite for Favored Enemy Devils (Demons?), Divine Health for Everbright Armor, Warhorse for Divine Spirit (That's actually an ACF in CC, so not Homebrew)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 01:12:52 PM by Chemus »
My Homebrew

Offline Drammor

• Seer of Void
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2017, 01:36:04 PM »
That's fine as homebrew. Favored enemy (demons), and don't use the infinite loop. It's the hordes of Orcus vs the hordes of Pale Night. Devils will be in short supply here, but I guess there's nothing stopping you from taking them as a favored enemy o.O. You can have a stronghold if you want to pay for it out of pocket, the rest is good.

I'm still curious which deity's church you're in such good standing with.

Okay, how about Paragon?

Found it. Wow is that ever worth not having flaws. I'm generally leery of Oslecamo's material (he seems to balance around TO, I like to balance around tier 3), but let's see how it goes. Sure thing. Take Paragon levels.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 01:47:42 PM by Drammor »

Offline Chemus

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2017, 01:48:01 PM »
Dunno. Are the PCs supposed to be from the same church, or from 'any' church?

Since alignment and its restrictions are gone, I guess I'd be in St Cuthbert's or Heironeous's Church, given a choice. But this army'd fit almost anywhere.
My Homebrew

Offline Drammor

• Seer of Void
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2017, 01:52:00 PM »
All of the PCs and their followers serve the same church.

Offline Chemus

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2017, 02:26:28 PM »
Alright, then if this were to get off the ground, we'd need to agree on the Church.

Hmm, Draconic Necropolitan Aasimar 'Paladin', Ketaro's Orc Warlord or Lycanthrope, Vladeshi's Dread Necro., (Malephaxerazz has only said '..."how many followers can I get" build...')

Anyone interested in re-fluffing to 'Team Good' since Drammor said this is a 'Save the World' campaign? How about the church of the Ruby Lady? Wee Jas seems like she'd want to oppose an invasion, is likely fairly pragmatic, and she's OK with undead ain't she?

If not, I'm guessing Erythnul fits the Evil Church pretty well, as we'd all be pretty murderous. Why'd we be sent to stop an invasion of Demons/Undead though?
My Homebrew

Offline Vladeshi

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2017, 02:40:36 PM »
Alright, then if this were to get off the ground, we'd need to agree on the Church.

Anyone interested in re-fluffing to 'Team Good' since Drammor said this is a 'Save the World' campaign? How about the church of the Ruby Lady? Wee Jas seems like she'd want to oppose an invasion, is likely fairly pragmatic, and she's OK with undead ain't she?

One of these days I will play someone who doesn't worship Wee Jas and my real life DM will have a heart attack.
Sounds good, I just mentioned "Team Evil" because with Orc Hordes and undead swarms we fit the archetype well.

Is there room in your Bards build for the Requiem feat and an Alphorn? :devil
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 02:47:11 PM by Vladeshi »

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2017, 03:23:30 PM »
We don't have to "re-fluff" to team good. What if team evil is only saving the world because team good got killed? And we need the world to continue to conquer it ourselves later? Or if team good only consists of a single person and the only other people he knows powerful enough to help him here are all his arch-rivals? :p

@Vlad: I was legit playing with the idea of having Undead Leadership as well just so that every last orc can continue having the honor of serving me even in death!

@Drammor: Are Cohorts actually allowed to take Leadership? If so, that's not something I'd have ever realized. I'd love to give my bard Undead Leadership and his own legion of gravediggers  :lmao

Yay, thank you for Paragon~ I made that post on my phone so I guess the linking stuff didn't work out right >.>
I'll figure out a build order when I get home tonight.

Offline Maelphaxerazz

• Respect: over 9000
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2017, 03:29:50 PM »
Incidentally, the "how many followers I can get build" WAS the Orc Warlord, so now I'd probably play something else.  :tongue Maybe a Chameleon.

So. Religion. I didn't want to specify since I wasn't sure what pantheons we're using, but if we are sticking with Greyhawk ones we might want to follow something more obscure, just for the fun of it.

For example, Wee Jas is indeed a Neutral goddess of death, and thus popular among necromancers (which we will have at least one of). However, another suitable undead-themed deity is the Evening Glory, from Libris Mortis page 17, the goddess of undying love.

Another idea is following a heretical variant of a good-aligned religion. For example, we could be the Wandering Crusade of Pelor the Burning Hate.

Here's Wikipedia's List of D&D Deities. There are plenty to choose from.

Offline Drammor

• Seer of Void
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2017, 05:49:16 PM »
@Drammor: Are Cohorts actually allowed to take Leadership? If so, that's not something I'd have ever realized. I'd love to give my bard Undead Leadership and his own legion of gravediggers  :lmao

Yay, thank you for Paragon~ I made that post on my phone so I guess the linking stuff didn't work out right >.>
I'll figure out a build order when I get home tonight.

Cohorts are allowed to take Leadership, but that doesn't mean I'll take it lying down. If, heaven forbid, anything should happen to the cohorts supporting those followers while you're in the Exiled City (such as assassination, disintegration, mind control, blackmail, misinformation, kaortic transformation...), you could be facing some splintering among your own faction. :devil

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2017, 06:19:55 PM »
Heh, that sounds fun. I was only considering risking one extra layer of leadership.

I realized I dont have levels for side b before paragon kicks in...Since you have ToB on side b list, would path of war be acceptable as well? Likely a warlord