Author Topic: It's time to sports!  (Read 48614 times)

Offline Unbeliever

• Legendary Member
  • gentleman gamer
    • View Profile
Re: It's time to sports!
« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2013, 09:35:10 PM »
I was responding to the idea, specifically, that the 49ers were "better over 60 minutes."  That statement, as far as I understand it, means that they were better throughout.  You can't play what is, at best, a lackluster first half and claim that.  You can really and have a great, comeback, but you can't be the "better team over 60 minutes." 

The Niners almost won despite the hard time by the refs.  that's the better team.
As a relatively unbiased viewer, this strikes me as quite a stretch.  They did not play well.  How many times were the Smith's names called during the game, for instance?  How many great plays did that great defense, against the Raven's not exactly powerhouse offense, make?  That's the prevailing view among commentators, and also the view of Jim Harbaugh.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 10:15:22 PM by Unbeliever »

Offline InnaBinder

• Legendary Member
  • Onna table
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 09, 2013, 08:14:48 AM »
I was responding to the idea, specifically, that the 49ers were "better over 60 minutes."  That statement, as far as I understand it, means that they were better throughout.  You can't play what is, at best, a lackluster first half and claim that.  You can really and have a great, comeback, but you can't be the "better team over 60 minutes." 

The Niners almost won despite the hard time by the refs.  that's the better team.
As a relatively unbiased viewer, this strikes me as quite a stretch.  They did not play well.  How many times were the Smith's names called during the game, for instance?  How many great plays did that great defense, against the Raven's not exactly powerhouse offense, make?  That's the prevailing view among commentators, and also the view of Jim Harbaugh.
Bah, what would Jim Harbaugh know about it?  Clearly, he's just influenced by wanting to see his brother win the Super Bowl. [/sarcasm]
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.  Even if you win, you're still retarded.

shugenja handbook; talk about it here

Offline zugschef

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2013, 09:28:43 AM »
bottom line: it was maybe the most exciting super bowl ever and a great game, but it's really sad that the refs couldn't stay out of discussion.

Offline Unbeliever

• Legendary Member
  • gentleman gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2013, 11:21:49 AM »
bottom line: it was maybe the most exciting super bowl ever and a great game, but it's really sad that the refs couldn't stay out of discussion.
I can't argue with that. 

fwiw, I found SB 42 (Giants v. Patriots, round 1) quite exciting, but I freely admit my bias.  Giants v. Patriots round 2, last year's game, was actually sort of disappointing.  Mostly b/c I thought the last game the Giants had played, the one against the 49ers, was a nearly perfect, and punishing game, by both sides.  The Superbowl, by comparison, was sloppy and lackluster on both sides. 

Offline betrayor

• Monitoring...
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2013, 04:39:34 PM »
Brilliant game today by Milan,they outwitted Barcelona arguably the best team of the last 5 years....
Their tactics today were impeccable.....

Offline zugschef

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2013, 08:10:07 PM »
Brilliant game today by Milan,they outwitted Barcelona arguably the best team of the last 5 years....
Their tactics today were impeccable.....
classic catenaccio

Offline InnaBinder

• Legendary Member
  • Onna table
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2013, 01:14:25 PM »
Spring Training baseball on TV.   :cloud9
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.  Even if you win, you're still retarded.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 26, 2013, 05:08:30 PM »
Dennis Rodman is with the Globetrotters, in North Korea.

wtf - ping pong diplomaNcy yes.  :clap  :???
It's so eee-vul , it's genius.

One of the tv wags said:  "And in North Korea, the Washington Generals always win."
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline InnaBinder

• Legendary Member
  • Onna table
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2013, 11:08:44 PM »
Baseball has become Ender's Game.

One of the Philadelphia Phillies players is actually named Ender.  Geek cred for days, that.

Offline betrayor

• Monitoring...
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 07, 2013, 06:08:51 AM »
Somewhat late but Madrid outplayed Man U in the Champions League 16 phase....
Of course the United fans are complaining about the referee but they should remember all the times that they were favored by referees in the past.....

Offline zugschef

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 07, 2013, 09:32:58 AM »
[...]but they should remember all the times that they were favored by referees in the past.....
that's kind of a bullshit argument, you know?

Offline betrayor

• Monitoring...
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 07, 2013, 10:18:35 AM »
[...]but they should remember all the times that they were favored by referees in the past.....
that's kind of a bullshit argument, you know?
What I meant to say is that referee mistakes are a part of the game,It is no use complaining except for the cases that the referee was clearly corrupt.....
Sometimes the referee helps you,sometimes he helps the other team....
As long as it is unintentional I don't see a reason to cause such an uproar.....

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Disclaimer: not at full capacity yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 07, 2013, 02:00:46 PM »
Chicago continues the streak!  We're only 5 games away from the consecutive record too.

In other news, Washington got slightly better in my eyes, because one of their players is named Wojtek.  As in, shares a name with Wojtek the bear.
My Sig's Handy Haversack  Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 03, 2013, 08:46:21 PM »
It's NHL playoffs time!  What're your predictions/hopes?

My predictions and hopes happen to be roughly the same.  Anyways:

the west 1st round winners: Chicago, Anaheim, LA, San Jose.

East 1st round winners: Pittsburgh, Boston, Montreal, Washington

west 2nd round winners: Chicago, San Jose

East 2nd round winners: Boston, Pittsburgh.

Cup players: Chicago, Pittsburgh.  Winner: Chicago.

The changes I'd like are that Montreal and Anaheim lose.

Also: the hit on that Montreal player: suspension deserved or not?  I don't think he should have been suspended.  I mean, the ice is what broke the player's face.  The hit looked clean to me, it just was an unfortunate accident.  I don't think he deserved suspension, even a fine would have been too much.  But what I like about this story: Prust calling the Ottawa coach a "fat walrus".
My Sig's Handy Haversack  Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 06, 2013, 02:03:02 AM »
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2013/08/05/sp-nhl-phoenix-coyotes-ownership.html

Phoenix Coyotes finally have an owner.  4 years the NHL owned them.  And now they're a hockey club stuck in Arizona for at least 5 more years  ;)

Offline wotmaniac

• Legendary Member
  • Procrastinator in Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 06, 2013, 02:45:22 AM »
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2013/08/05/sp-nhl-phoenix-coyotes-ownership.html

Phoenix Coyotes finally have an owner.  4 years the NHL owned them.  And now they're a hockey club stuck in Arizona for at least 5 more years  ;)
:shakefist Fuck the city of Glendale -- we're paying an extra 3% sales tax for that shit ..... and nobody goes unless it's versus the Red Wings or the Penguins.  They literally can't give away tickets for a Coyotes' game.  And they hold the "in-demand" games hostage .... if you want to see them play the Penguins or the Red Wings, you also have to buy tickets to 2+ other games.

I'm convinced that it has cost the city more to keep them in town than is put back in to the local economy ..... they're just afraid of the potential political blow-back of just cutting their losses.

[/soapbox rant]

Offline X-Codes

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • White, Fuzzy, Sniper Rifle.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 06, 2013, 04:42:10 AM »
Arizona...

Hockey...

I don't see it... I guess mostly because it's not there...

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 06, 2013, 10:42:26 AM »
The contract was for 15 years, and it's been 10.  But I'm with you.  I like seeing hockey spread to those who don't have it yet, but Arizona?  I will say that when I've seen games played there, the stadium did get kinda full.  But then again I was watching Blackhawks games, and half of the fans were Blackhawks fans cause we're cool like that.  Meanwhile, did you know that Seattle doesn't have a team?  Quebec doesn't either.

EDIT: Oh, and point of interest?  Chicago doesn't black out games.  They still have had a sold out stadium for the past 250-300 games.  I have no doubt that there are fans down there that would like to keep the team (especially since they've been doing pretty well lately)  but yeah, economically not that hot.  Who knows, maybe now that they have an actual owner things will be better for them?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 10:45:43 AM by dman11235 »

Offline X-Codes

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • White, Fuzzy, Sniper Rifle.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 06, 2013, 02:03:23 PM »
The contract was for 15 years, and it's been 10.  But I'm with you.  I like seeing hockey spread to those who don't have it yet, but Arizona?  I will say that when I've seen games played there, the stadium did get kinda full.  But then again I was watching Blackhawks games, and half of the fans were Blackhawks fans cause we're cool like that.  Meanwhile, did you know that Seattle doesn't have a team?  Quebec doesn't either.

EDIT: Oh, and point of interest?  Chicago doesn't black out games.  They still have had a sold out stadium for the past 250-300 games.  I have no doubt that there are fans down there that would like to keep the team (especially since they've been doing pretty well lately)  but yeah, economically not that hot.  Who knows, maybe now that they have an actual owner things will be better for them?
I would hope so.  If you sell out every game and can't pay the bills, something is seriously wrong.

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 09, 2013, 08:18:48 AM »