Author Topic: DOJO #1  (Read 26986 times)

Offline Harald

• wielding a 30 Tons Tank as an improvised flail.
    • View Profile
Re: DOJO #1
« Reply #100 on: April 25, 2015, 02:24:07 PM »
I'll give a look if there is a defense against Mindsight, but if I remember the fluff, being undead stop it. not sure if mindblank stops it. better asks for a ruling indeed, just to be sure, I'd like to know as well.

As for magical items, considering you identify them thanks to GAS :
-  Head      - Hat of Disguise
 Eyes      - monocle of Object reading
 Throat    - Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis
 Body      -  +1 gloryborn  Freedom Glammered  Mithral  Kikko armor of Comfort
 Waist     -  Belt of Magnificence +2
 Hands     - +1 Eager Warning Metalline Gauntlets
Shield    - +1 Animated Darkwood shield (looks like an umbrella)
Ranged Weapon - +1 dragonbone Force Splitting Metalline airgun (composite +0 longbow)
Quiver  - Bandolier of Elhonna
 and in her pocket, an artifact level, the Crystal Arc of Reverie.
"-Lady-Captain, we detect 20 hostile vessels against us,  and Erasmus Haarlock's Spear of Destiny ! What are your orders ?
-RAMMING SPEED !

final result : 6 slaughts vessels, 4 imperial frigates, 2 imperial cruisers destroyed. Haarlock sent into the warp. 0 losses. Flawless Victory.

Offline Debatra

• Kaedanis Pyran
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2015, 11:31:12 PM »
Actually, Greater Arcane Sight explicitly can't identify magic items (although it would tell me what effects are active). I was just saying I'd be able to see you from their auras even if you didn't have one from the Invisibility.

For the moment, unless MM and/or SirP decide to come by, I'd say it only really matters what we can agree on. Whether it flies in the real game doesn't matter for this fight as long as we're playing by the same rules.

I've had some ideas, and want you to tell me which if any of these things you could agree with:

Greater Arcane Sight tells me that you have Mindsight.
   GAS also tells me what Mindsight is.
   GAS doesn't tell me what MS is, but I can make some skill check to find out.

Mind Blank can protect against MS.

Mindsight's description (assuming I have the right source) points out being similar to Blindsense, so some things that block Blindsense may also block MS.
Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

Offline Harald

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 26, 2015, 02:54:05 PM »
I'm ok with GAS telling about the fact I have Mindsight. Usually, I'd say you'd need to check to identify what it does, but I'm sure yyou have the relevant knowledge check to know that, so let's consider your character does know she has Mindisght and what it means.

Ok as well for Mindblanck blocking Mindsight : after all, it blocks GAS, all divination effects, and all effects allowing to read the target's mind...
And the same about the blindsense/mindsight correlation.
"-Lady-Captain, we detect 20 hostile vessels against us,  and Erasmus Haarlock's Spear of Destiny ! What are your orders ?
-RAMMING SPEED !

final result : 6 slaughts vessels, 4 imperial frigates, 2 imperial cruisers destroyed. Haarlock sent into the warp. 0 losses. Flawless Victory.

Offline Debatra

• Kaedanis Pyran
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 26, 2015, 10:15:15 PM »
In that case, instead of surrounding you, the bat will stay where he is, fiddle with his belt (of Battle) and cast Mind Blank.

He then readies a move action. If I do that thing that makes more of me (which, for the record, I can do as an Immediate action), I'll move to surround you as I did before. If I can't move that far at the time... well, I'll figure it out.

Your turn.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 10:29:49 PM by Debatra »

Offline Harald

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 27, 2015, 07:28:40 AM »
With a mere thought, the margravine activate the Cirstal Arc of Reverie, shrouding herself in the dire energies of the Dreamheart, in a 20 feet radius around her.
She'll spend 100 inspiration points, to get 20 full round actions (at 5 inspiration each, thanks to her Excellent Surge feat).
She'll use her Standard action to emulate Mordenkainen's Disjunction. She needs to succeed a DC 30 check for said emulation to work.
Rolled 1d20+29 : 1 + 29, total 30

If it works, her caster level is 29, and her range for the spell is 25 ft + 29/2 *5 ft = 25+ 70= 95 ft. Unless I forgot something, the kaedan is 50 ft away from the Margravine, hence in range. No more spells or SLA going on. don't bother  with  the destroying magic effect shenanigans, you still got them working, I used MD just for being sure the dispel worked :p.

And you'll need them I think, 'cause now, trhe Margravine will use her 20 full-round actions...
for 20 full-attacks with her air-rifle, and Rapid Shot.

She  target one with a mind before mindless copies, but if she can't, she'll kill copie after copie from left to the right, methodically. remember that I can allocate each attack to an other target one after the other: so once one copie is destroyed, the next one in line got fired on.

Once she has finished firing, she'll end the Cristal arc of reverie. All amunition spend, inspirations points, gets back to the level they were before she activated it.

here we go for a large bunch of rolls. 160 attack total, aka "room-cleaning mode".

Full attack 1
(click to show/hide)
-RAMMING SPEED !

Offline Harald

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 27, 2015, 07:30:20 AM »
looks like the spioilers are imbricated within each other. i won't edit becasue I don't want to be accusd to tamper with the rolls.

Of course, after all this madness,it's your turn.
-RAMMING SPEED !

Offline Debatra

• Kaedanis Pyran
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 27, 2015, 07:46:00 AM »
Before I even look at those rolls, I'm going to ask you how exactly you're emulating Disjunction. Arcane Dilettante?

Offline Harald

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 27, 2015, 08:59:34 AM »
Through the use of the Crystal Arc of Reverie, I'm inside the Dreamheart. while there, I need to succeed a DC30 lucid Dreaming check to emulate the effect of any spell, as long as it has a tangible effect. Summons can only be done inside the bubble. Their duration are reduced to only one round, though instantaneous effects keeps going : for instance,if I emulate heal, the healing won't disapear one round later.
that's how sh'e has been able to summon an hecantocheires against Thrash last time, for instance, or how she was able to cast Dictum  and maw of Chaos against Good Team copies on Braal.

Arcane dilletante, right now, can onbly used to cast as a a SLA wizard/sorcerer spells up to 6th.
-RAMMING SPEED !

Offline Debatra

• Kaedanis Pyran
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 27, 2015, 10:28:15 AM »
Okay, this is the part where I just say screw it and go read your character thread, because I've never heard of half of what you just did.

---

And so, I have to say there are a few things wrong with that turn (aside from the ability to toss around ninth-level spells each round for free as early as 11th-level being ridiculously overpowered, even by MM and SirP's seemingly non-existent "standards"... There, I finally said it somewhere they can see it.).

For one, you can only use spells that have some physical effect.

Second, where the hell is it written that you get everything back? There's a brief mention of spells (and only spells) in Manual of the Planes, but I can't find anything else.

Offline Debatra

• Kaedanis Pyran
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 30, 2015, 10:04:49 PM »
Umm... okay, did I come off a little too strong there? It wasn't my intention to offend.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 30, 2015, 11:42:23 PM »
The man sitting on the bleachers continues to munch on his popcorn.

Offline Harald

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 11, 2015, 04:10:30 PM »
No offense taken, do not worry. I apologize for the delay : I got a few IRL issues to sort, including a lot of drama in my IRL medieval fencing guild, a medieval wedding to organize, and other kinds of time-swallowing activities to take care off.

I was expecting you to read the character sheet anyway from the start, it's in the open for a reason. I do agree as well, right now, with the houserules used, the homebrew allowed and magic items I got provided, I'm indeed in the  dreaded " TO -too OP pliz nerf" category. I'm always weary to not go overboard with what I can do, and it appears this time I did.

the " you got everyting back" is something that is based on the Manual of the Planes description of the Plane of Dreams (p202 on the french edition, but it should be around the same in the english one). When entering inside the plane of the Dream, you got there a copy of all your items, spells and the like, that you can use as normal. Once you get out of the Dream, in fact, you did not used them. they used ias an exemple someone using spells and charge from lightning wand that got back as normal once you wake up.
the margravine's artifact allows her, once per round, as a no action, to enter the Dreamheart - which is the core of the plane of Dreams- and to get out. she can enters and get out only once in her round of course. when the effect is over, it is like she wakes up from a dream, hence all her abilities used going back to their state prior.

I agree with you, the physical limitation is key. AOE spells, healing spells, summons has been Ok-ed during the game, but I've never used a dispel with this. According the description, Mordenkainen's Disjunction basically destroy the magical threads of ongoing spells. is that physical enough ? I dunno. That's the sort of things I'd like to call a refere for.  The easiest way to deal with thatis to say that i can't.
-RAMMING SPEED !

Offline Debatra

• Kaedanis Pyran
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 11, 2015, 05:19:41 PM »
Okay, I missed the part about items in the Manual. I wasn't complaining about things like Inspiration, as I could easily see that working in the same manner as spells. As for he Arc, reading it once again I can see no 1/round limit listed. Combined with free-action activation...

Was that discussed elsewhere, or did you just not want to believe they would allow NI use of something so powerful?

OOC, I can definitely understand not wanting to throw all the fun out of the airlock.

IC however, if Halt finds out about this, his reaction will be to ask why you didn't just slaughter all of Team "Good" at Bral. That's the thing about this kind of power level. If there's no IC reason to hold back, you end up telling your friends/allies/whatever that you risked more than you needed to (which usually includes something like "everyone's lives") for fun. For example; I like to think of this Kaedan character as "OP but manageable" because he can only wreak havoc with the action economy a few times per day (depending on how much havoc of course).

Offline Harald

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 11, 2015, 05:48:58 PM »
I've just read back the item description, indeed , no real mention.  As written, though, it isa 10 min of use  per day item, which can be used in 1 round increment... And if I don't find a copy of that,  I do remember I've asked  about this and got answered it was once per round. It is already insane as it is, truely.
As for IC reasons, she got the item only two days before the assault on Braal, and used it at the best of her knoweldge - and mine-. She did not spare Team Good and did her best to annihilate them and ensure that she got out  of there alive, as well as her team. the same against the orc later, and now against Demogorgon's lackeys.

If she didn't , well, it's a fuck up i'll have to answer IC then.

If you have to rank the Margravine , without the arc activated, she is bloody dangerous. manageable, but dangerous. With the Arc on, she becomes TO, Destroyer of Games...

So if you think i really went too far, pray tell, and I'll adjust accordingly. We're doing this fights for fun, and I'm the one who have to be careful not to pull out an howitzer in a pîstol duel :p
-RAMMING SPEED !

Offline Debatra

• Kaedanis Pyran
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 11, 2015, 08:47:26 PM »
Okay then. You know what? I'll even ignore the "is Disjunction physical" argument for now. I have a way to deal with it anyway. Namely, a Ring of Spell-Battle.

(click to show/hide)

I can auto-succeed on the Spellcraft check, so you get to eat your own Disjunction this time, which brings down the Arc effect for the round.

Offline Harald

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 12, 2015, 07:31:20 AM »
That's a really good counter, well done ! Shall I do the tests for the other magic items as well ?
-RAMMING SPEED !

Offline Debatra

• Kaedanis Pyran
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 12, 2015, 08:55:59 AM »
Wouldn't you get them back when you're out of the Dreamheart anyway?

Regardless, I'm assuming that affects your actions for this round, so go ahead and make whatever changes you need.