Author Topic: Displacer Beast  (Read 8085 times)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Displacer Beast
« on: November 11, 2011, 01:08:38 PM »
Displacer Beast

HD: D8
LevelBABFortRefWill Special
1st+1+0+2+0 Displacer Beast Body, Displacement, +1 Str
2nd+2+0+3+0 Mirror Trick, Never there, +1 Str, +1 Con
3rd+3+1+3+1 Beast Tentacles, Evasion, +1 Str
4th+4+1+4+1 Growth, Double Illusion, +1 Str, +1 Con
Skill Points 4+Int per level
Class Skill Skills: Balance, Bluff, Climb, Hide, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Spot, Survival, Swim.

Proficiencies: The Displacer Beast is proficient only with its own natural attacks.

Displacer Beast Body:  The Displacer Beast loses all other racial bonuses, and acquires Magical Beast traits, giving it Darkvision 60 feet and low light vision.  Displacer Beasts are medium sized creatures with 40 feet base speed , a 1d6+half Str mod bite attack and two tentacle attacks dealing 1d4+Str damage each as natural weapons.  Tentacles are reach weapons, and Displacer Beasts can use them to attack opponents 10' away. Displacer Beasts have Natural Armor equal to their Con.

Diplacer beast lack limbs capable of fine manipulation, altough their tentacles are flexible and capable of simple tasks.

Ability Score Bonus:  The Displacer Beast gains +1 to Str at all levels and +1 Con at 2nd and fourth level, for a total of +4 Str and +2 Con at 4th level.

Displacement:  The Displacer Beast has the ability to bend light around itself, meaning it's never on the place where you see it.

All attacks against the displacer beast have 20% miss chance. For every other level in the Displacer beast class, this miss chance increases by another 10%, up to 50% miss chance at 4th level.

For every non-displacer beast level taken, the miss chance increases by 2%, up to 82% miss chance total.

See invisibility doesn't negate this bonus, but True Seeing does.
A displacer beast of 10 HD however is such adept at bending light that not even true seeing can pierce it, and abilities that ignore or allow to re-roll miss chances are useless against this.

Mirror trick:  A second level the Displacer beast can use its light bending abilities to use Silent Image as a SLA 1/hour for every 2 HD, except that starting it is only a move action and the Displacer beast can keep concentration on it as a swift action. At 10 HD, this Silent Image cannot be pierced by True seeing or other anti-illusion effects.

Never there:  At second level, the Displacer's beast trickery is so good that it can confuse even oponents wich normally wouldn't care about targeting at all. The Displacer's beast miss chance applies to area effects whitout any specific target now.

Beast Tentacles:  A third level the Displacer Beast's tentacles threat range increases to 19-20, and the tentacles gain an enanchment bonus equal to half HD. The Displacer beast may only get up to +5 to to-hit and damage rolls from enanchment bonus, but it may get weapon special abilities like freezing and speed with this enanchment as well. The enanchments can be changed at each level up.

Evasion:  At third level the Displacer beast gains evasion as the rogue ability. If it was going to gain evasion again, it gains Improved Evasion instead.

Growth: A fourth level Displacer Beast grows one size category. It's tentacles now have 20 feet reach.

A Displacer Beast of 12 HD grows another size category, and it's tentacles will have a reach of 30 feet reach.

Double Illusion: at fourth level, once per day for every 2 HD it has, as an immediate action, the Displacer beast may force an oponent that managed to hit trough his miss chance to roll it again.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 05:15:53 PM by oslecamo »

Offline Rakoa

• No Problem
    • View Profile
Re: Displacer Beast
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 05:17:16 PM »
I know this is an old post, but I noticed this class and rather like it. Question, though, regarding Beast Tentacles. Can the weapon special abilities be changed after purchased, like most other monster classes? If so, how long does it take?
The Paladin Code: Detect Evil, Smite it, ask questions later.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 05:45:53 PM »
Added option to change at level up. The beast tentacles was more of filler since I couldn't remember what else to add at 3rd level, and so it should be less versatile (plus they do have a pretty big reach).

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 04:08:49 PM »
Quote from: Oslecamo
For every non-displacer beast taen, the miss chance increases by 2%, up to 82% miss chance total.

Isn't that supposed to read "for every non-displacer beast level taken?"

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 05:16:06 PM »
Yes, fixed.

Offline DavidWL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 04:51:03 PM »
Cool powerful defensive monster. 

Does "Displacement" also apply vs spells?  (Any spell with a target?).

Best,
David

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 05:24:59 PM »
As usual, Displacement should work as the typical ability. That is, just as it is written above, it imposes a miss-chance roll for all attacks against the creature. That means anytime an opponent makes an attack roll against you, regardless of the type of attack. It's just as hard to aim a ray spell against something you can't see well as it is to aim a sword or bow.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 06:05:45 PM »
What Venn said.

Offline DavidWL

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 01:31:42 PM »
As usual, Displacement should work as the typical ability. That is, just as it is written above, it imposes a miss-chance roll for all attacks against the creature. That means anytime an opponent makes an attack roll against you, regardless of the type of attack. It's just as hard to aim a ray spell against something you can't see well as it is to aim a sword or bow.

What about something like the spell Dominate Monster?  It's targeted, but there is no attack roll?  ("Never there" doesn't help with this?)

So I assume that displacement works against things that require an attack roll and things that have an area of effect ("Never there"), but nothing else? 

Best,
David

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 01:42:49 PM »
Yes.

Offline DavidWL

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 02:17:02 PM »
Thank you!

Best,
David