Author Topic: Fun finds thread V3.0  (Read 319947 times)

Offline Kerrus

• Immovable Rods Kill
    • View Profile
Re: Fun finds thread V3.0
« Reply #100 on: August 26, 2012, 04:02:35 PM »
Dragon 346 has some Scout variants.

First up is the Sniper Variant. It's cool. It's thematic. It suuuuuuuuucks.

Basically you give up skirmish and your AC bonus to spend a full round action to make a single attack that does an extra 1d6 per 4 levels to a target 60 feet or further away. It receives no accuracy bonuses, doesn't let you make multiple attacks or otherwise compensate for the lack of multiple attacks, and as you *really* can't combo it with other precision damage it becomes largely worthless pretty fast, if not immediately.

The second is actually pretty nice IMO. It's a light cavalry variant that replaces a Scout's fast movement and stealth features (camo, HiPS) with getting a paladin mount at 5th. This mount gives up share spells and command creatures of its type (there's a little burb about having less HD, but it's used as a simulationist remark for a fluff 'feature' about how the mount is 'small for its race'. Apparently HD=GETTING HUGE. I imagine having the mount be a riding dog or the like would sidestep the issue entirely)

In exchange for what it gives up, the mount gains the Scout's fast-movement progression, ultimately gaining free movement too.

This is actually pretty neat- a halfling on a riding dog or something similar as a skirmishing scout could be pretty viable.

Offline Cyclone Joker

• Flamboyant Flamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 26, 2012, 04:10:50 PM »
And Death Delver precludes being actually good.
I'd love to argue, but on this case, it's just wrong. You don't have any alignment restrictions for death delver, and the only fluff is you need a near-death experience. That makes it as evil as blood magus, I guess.
No, it's dead right. Like Blood Magus, you can be Good, but, like Blood Magus, you cannot, in any possible universe, be anything resembling good.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 26, 2012, 05:09:30 PM »
CC, I'm not going to get into any long argument with you about this since all of us know how you are lots of talk and next to ZERO proof

but you're wrong yet again... Since both can be some form of good, it all depends on the character. Yes, in most socieites death and blood are evil, but that doesn't mean ALL societies view them as bad or evil.

Examples: You could create a LG death delver searching for the damned soul of a loved one, or a CG blood magus that uses blood in magic as part of his tribal rituals to help his tribe fight a horde of invaders from across the jungle

Both of those examples have proven you wrong completely, since they now exist in thought and concept, as they break your "they can't be good, period argument."

The death delver can be any alignment... (here's a link for prereqs)
 http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/prestige2.pl?class=Death_Delver

And the blood magus can be any but LG... (here's a link for prereqs)
 http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/prestige2.pl?class=Blood_Magus
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
  • Developing a relaxed attitude toward danger
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 26, 2012, 05:13:05 PM »
I'm reasonably certain he's talking about the fact that both blood magus and death delver are not terribly useful prestige classes.
Homebrew Compendiums: D&D 3.5 4e/PF
IRC: #mmxgeneral on Rizon

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 26, 2012, 05:16:49 PM »
Lol, you never know with him... He's got some strange ideas ;)
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Cyclone Joker

• Flamboyant Flamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 26, 2012, 06:29:47 PM »
Nope. All of my assertions are backed up with fact. You, my friend, are the one with absurd at best ideas. Like thinking Death Delvers and Blood Magi are, in any way, good. Rebuke and crap casting, or loss of, what, five levels, are good in your book? Yeah, my point exactly. They are, in no way possible, anything resembling good. What, next are you going to talk about qualifying for whatchamacallit-theurge-thingy Lyrist with a Ring of Evasion?

Offline Dusk Eclipse

• Yo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 26, 2012, 06:54:48 PM »
Dragon 324 has a druid item- Skin of Kaletor. 12,000 gp. Slightly rotting, it confers a -6 on all cha based checks, and on wild empathy checks, but you're a druid so it's not like you give a crap. It also gives you +4 wildshaping levels, or lets a non-wildshaping character wildshape as a 4th level druid 1/day.

So you can't actually wildshape? I mean Druids only get Wildshape at level 5 (I am pretty sure it means that you can only select shapes with up to 4 HD)

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 26, 2012, 06:57:52 PM »
So you can't actually wildshape? I mean Druids only get Wildshape at level 5 (I am pretty sure it means that you can only select shapes with up to 4 HD)

That is the common interpretation.
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 26, 2012, 08:27:03 PM »
Nope. All of my assertions are backed up with fact. You, my friend, are the one with absurd at best ideas. Like thinking Death Delvers and Blood Magi are, in any way, good. Rebuke and crap casting, or loss of, what, five levels, are good in your book? Yeah, my point exactly. They are, in no way possible, anything resembling good. What, next are you going to talk about qualifying for whatchamacallit-theurge-thingy Lyrist with a Ring of Evasion?

On the topic of qualifying for Fochlucan Lyrist partially with a ring of evasion, Complete Warrior page 16 has some implications:

Meeting Class Requirements: It’s possible for a character to take levels in a prestige class and later be in a position where the character no longer qualifi es to be a member of the class. An alignment change, levels lost because of character death, or the loss of a magic item that granted an important ability are examples of events that can make a character ineligible to advance farther in a prestige class.

The implication of course is that items granting various abilities can be used for meeting prestige class requirements.  Is it absolute and set in stone?  No, but it does have some rules support.

As for the comments about whether a blood magus or death delver can be "good," the obvious problem we had was people misinterpreting the word usage:  Good as in a lesser form of great, or good as in alignment.  It doesn't do well to ass/u/me someone is using a certain definition when there might not be enough context to spell it out plain as day.  For the record, it does look like both of you made asses of yourselves.

That is the common interpretation.

Sounds like a misprint or poor editing to me.  Upping it to 5 should work alright and kind of be in line with Alter Self's 5hd limit.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 08:29:25 PM by Jackinthegreen »

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 26, 2012, 08:45:14 PM »
Ring of Evasion doesn't work because it doesn't give you evasion.  It grants an ability which is functionally identical, but doesn't actually give you the Evasion ability.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 26, 2012, 08:50:03 PM »

First of all, I'm not your friend or 'bro', so don't ever call me that. You use them improperly with people here.

As for the rest of it... Obviously, we both were mistaken as to what the other was talking about in post #101. I thought you were talking about alignment, while it seems you're talking about power level.

My ideas are just fine and work, except for my thoughts on the type pyramid crap. Which i admit to being wrong about now. At least I have the balls to do so, when I know I wrong. Not just argue with nearly no rules until you're hated just because you don't want to be wrong.
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 26, 2012, 08:52:59 PM »
Ring of Evasion doesn't work because it doesn't give you evasion.  It grants an ability which is functionally identical, but doesn't actually give you the Evasion ability.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#evasion

This ring continually grants the wearer the ability to avoid damage as if she had evasion.

Don't you just hate it how they dance around explicitly saying "While wearing this ring, you have Evasion."

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 26, 2012, 08:56:22 PM »
Alright, let's not get carried away here. It was a simple misunderstanding.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 26, 2012, 09:10:37 PM »

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#evasion

This ring continually grants the wearer the ability to avoid damage as if she had evasion.

Don't you just hate it how they dance around explicitly saying "While wearing this ring, you have Evasion."

Yeah... and it doesn't work exactly like evasion even, because it works with all armor.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 26, 2012, 09:24:01 PM »
Which would actually make it more like the divine oracle's prescient sense.

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 26, 2012, 09:26:34 PM »
Alright, back to the intent of the thread...

I just found Train Animal; it takes 10 minutes to cast, and teaches an animal that you touch up to 5 tricks of your choice.

The animal knows those tricks for an hour.

Now, here's the thing; while the normal DC for a Handle Animal check "pushing" an animal is 25, telling it to do a trick it knows is only a DC 10.

So if you can quicken this to a really short casting time, and dip 3 levels of Duskblade...

You can punch animals into obedience; not powerful, but boy is it fun.

Though you could, if you really felt like it, cast an Earthbound Train Animal to train basic animals how to attack things. Or whatever.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline Kerrus

• Immovable Rods Kill
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 26, 2012, 10:14:48 PM »
Dragon 324 has a druid item- Skin of Kaletor. 12,000 gp. Slightly rotting, it confers a -6 on all cha based checks, and on wild empathy checks, but you're a druid so it's not like you give a crap. It also gives you +4 wildshaping levels, or lets a non-wildshaping character wildshape as a 4th level druid 1/day.

The item reads (after the junk about -6 on cha stuff):

When wearing a Skin of Kaletor, a druid can use the wild shape ability as if he were four levels higher than his current druid level. Additionally, any non-druid who wears the cloak can use the wild shape ability once per day as a 4h level druid.

Faint transmutation, CL 4th, craft wondrous item, creator must be a druid, price 12,000 gp, weight 10 lbs.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 26, 2012, 10:17:58 PM »
It's Dragon.

nuff said.

Offline Kerrus

• Immovable Rods Kill
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 26, 2012, 11:09:36 PM »
Dragon 349 ACFs

Barbarian:

City Brawler

Level: 1st
Replaces: If you choose this ability you do not gain proficiency with martial weapons, medium armor, or shields.
Benefit: you gain improved unarmed strike as a bonus feat, as well as the effects (but not the feats themselves) of the two-weapon fighting feat when fighting unarmed.

At 6th level you gain the effects of improved two-weapon fighting when fighting unarmed, and at 11th level you gain the effects of greater two-weapon fighting when fighting unarmed.

Additionally, you only take a -2 penalty when using improvised weapons (instead of the usual -4 penalty)

(Eh. could be interesting thematically, but there are better ways to be a brawler. Still, the free TWF effect isn't too bad)

Dashing Step

Level: 3rd
Replaces: Trap Sense.
Benefit: You do not take a -2 penalty to AC when charging, and you add one-third of your barbarian level to your AC against AoO's when charging.

(ergmagerd charging.... no, this sucks)

Devil's Luck

Level: 6th
Replaces: Damage Reduction (I'd assume it means the barbarian damage reduction, but it just says 'you do not gain damage reduction')
Benefit: You apply the number of points of damage reduction you would otherwise gain (from any source? Doesn't say) as a luck bonus on all saving throws.

(that's... grammar inadequacies aside, that's actually pretty nifty)

Fearsome Gaze

Level: 7
Replaces: Indomitable Will (and your trap sense ability goes down by 1)
Benefit: You gain a +4 bonus to intimidate checks, and you can use your strength instead of charisma as your key intimidate ability score. You and your target must be within 60 ft and must be able to see eachother.

(If you're going for an intimidatomancer you're probably never going to make it to barb level 7. Still, for a straight barb it's not a terrible opotion, certainly)

Relentless Smash

Level: 20th
Replaces: Mighty Rage
Benefit: If you make a successful crit agianst an opponent or strike him at least three times in the same round your opponent is stunned for 1d3 rounds. Furthermore if you opponent is of your size or smaller, he must make a DC 10+total damage dealt this round to him fort save or be knocked prone.

(Not bad. A little situational (isn't it always?) but definitely a neat ability)

Unshakable
Level: 5th
Replaces: Improved Uncanny Dodge
Benefit: You are immune to fear effects.

Paladin ACFs

Angel's Sight

Level: 3rd
Replaces: Divine Health
Benefit: gain darkvision 60 ft and low-light vision.

(Yeah... no. I'd rather have divine health. I can buy darkvision for pretty cheap, but health? Notsomuch)

Aura of Banishment

Level: 6th
Replaces: Remove Disease.
Benefit: An aura of banishment surrounds you out to 30 ft. Only evil outsiders can feel the aura and suffer from its effects. No evil outsider with fewer HD than your paladin level can be summoned into this area, nor can any such creatures use summoning or teleporting effects.

In addition, the aura grants you a +2 to intimidate vs evil outsiders.

(Eh.... remove disease can be a deadweight, sure, but I think this is a bit too situational to be of real use. If you're in a planar campaign though, definitely something to look at)

Aura of Sanctity

Level: 4th
Replaces: Turn Undead
Benefit: Choose one of the following effects. Compulsion (including possession), death effects, petrification. You are immune to that effect. Allies within your aura of courage gain a +4 bonus on saves vs your chosen effect.

(Neat. Potentially very good, especially if you aren't aiming for DMM or fighting undead. Or if you're going to lose turning anyways, like being a bone knight)

Gaze of Truth

Replace detect evil with discern lies 1+cha mod/day for 1 round per paladin level per use. Add discern lies to your spells known.

(Eh, could be great in an intrigue campaign)

Hunter of Fiends

Replaces: Smite Evil and Knowledge (royalty and  nobility) as a class skill.
Benefit: Gain outsider (evil) as a favoured enemy, except the bonus equals half your paladin level (minimum +1). You also gain track as a bonus feat and survival and knowledge (the planes) as class skills.

(Note: At 10th level a paladin with this feature would have +5 to bluff, listen, sense motive, spot, and survival vs evil outsiders, and a +5 on weapon damage rolls vs those creatures. This would be +10 at level 20. That's pretty cool actually.)

Smiting Arrow

Replaces: Proficiency with heavy armor and shields
Benefit: You gain the ability to smite evil with a ranged attack up to 30 feet.

(I'd assume this would work with other paladin variants, substituting their various smite effects. Regardless it's a nice feature if you're aiming for some sort of dextrous bow paladin)

Sword of Celestia (No pony jokes please)

Level: 5th
Replaces: Paladin Special Mount ability.
Benefit: Choose a specific kind of weapon (ie: longsword, longbow, rapier- that sort of thing) a Powerful Good Outsider crafts a weapon of this kind for you. The Smith requires you give the weapon a name. You can summon the weapon to your hand or return it to its resting place in the celestial forges as a free action, and you can call it to your hand even if it's not in its resting place (such as if you have been disarmed)

You may call this waepon a number of times per day equal to 1 + your wisdom modifier (minimum 1/day). Whatever its kind, the weapon is of intricate and unearthly beauty, although you are bound by oath never to sell or give the weapon to any other creature (even to loan it to a friend). The weapon is a +1 weapon of its kind at 4th level, +2 at 10th, and at 15th it becomes a +2 holy weapon, and a +2 holy lawful weapon at 20. It overcomes damage reduction as if it were good aligned, and cure spells and other healing magic repair damage to it as if it were a living creature. you may expend gold and xp to enhance the weapon as if you had the craft magic arms and armor feat (on top of what the weapon is through this ability).

If the weapon is ever destroyed, a different celetial weaponsmith crafts you a new weapon, presenting it to you a year and a day after your previous weapon was destroyed. You can choose the same or a new kind of weapon.

(Note: Since you can use healing magic on it, you could probably use curative magic to bring it back from the dead if someone sunders it)

(This is actually pretty badass for a non-mounted paladin, and definitely very thematic.)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 11:28:30 PM by Kerrus »

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 27, 2012, 12:02:20 AM »
Dragon 355 has a Shifter monk ACF/style.

1st level feat: Fear No binds.  No penalty on attack rolls in a grapple, may attack while bound with something non-magical, no penalties on attack rolls or to Dexterity while Entangled, and you if you beat the strength check against someone using a net on you, you get to move them around instead.

2nd level: Beast Strike.  When making an unarmed strike or grapple check, add claw or slam damage on top of unarmed/grapple damage.

6th level: Disruptive Strike:  Expend a daily use of Stunning Fist to force a shapechanger to revert to its natural form.

6th level bonus ability:  You may make a flurry of blows at the end of a successful charge.  (Prereqs: Jump 9 ranks, Two-Weapon Fighting)

I particularly like that last ability as well as the Beast Strike feat.