Author Topic: [3.5] Review Half-Dragon Template & questions on older template from this site.  (Read 1961 times)

Offline Sarethus

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
I originally posted this template in the 3.5 forum but I am reposting here as well in hopes for further feedback. I also found another version of the Half-Dragon template by Prime32 and had some questions regarding it (Prime32's thread was older then 120 days so decided to make this new one.)

Here is my Current Half-Dragon Template:

House Ruled Dragon Template (LA +3): [Version 2.0 C /urrent]

Due to feedback and discussion, This version is grabbing the Dragonborn of Bahamut's special ability progression to help simulate growing into a dragon's abilities and also help reduce the LA by delaying most powerful abilities till appropriate character levels.

(click to show/hide)

Please review and let me know what you think. 

The following is a Half-Dragon Template made by Prime32 that actually inspired mine but there were a few things I wanted to discuss and ask questions on:

(click to show/hide)

Questions:
1) Immunity: I noticed that the template did not carry any immunity to the same element as their breath weapon. Lightning immunity for Blue Dragons for example. This seems a major thing to remove. Would it really affect the LA adjustment if it was left in?

3) Ability Score increases &  Breath Weapon Increase: Both of these have been increased from the standard template and I rather like it for the most part but does this template still qualify for an LA+3? If so I might copy these changes over to mine.

3a) Ability Score: While I got the Con, Int and Char increase I was a bit puzzled by the Wisdom bonus. Why this?

3b) Breath Weapon: [/b ]Regarding the breath weapon I was a bit puzzeled with the formula for damage dice. Would it be better to attach the breath weapon growth to the Age Category as  described later in the template? Also you said the Breath weapon had a Con-based DC, so does the DC calculation use  Racial HD or class levels?

Thanks in advance for any feedback and response.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
Re: True Dragon Type, do they also gain the Draconic parents subtypes?

Offline Sarethus

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: True Dragon Type, do they also gain the Draconic parents subtypes?

Sorry for the late reply had RL issues and had to think about your question as I did not consider sub-types.

In short: No, they would not gain parent sub-types currently. There is no real reason for this apart from the fact that I am already iffy about the current balance and do not want to put more in the template until I am sure of the current balance.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
Is this template meant to be a class similar to oslecamo's monster classes?

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
You still don't get Hit Dice, BAB increase, or skill points in this version, so unless you're doing something silly with the True Dragon type it probably isn't worth it. 
I would suggest using this instead. 
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.