Author Topic: Fun Pathfinds  (Read 103214 times)

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Pathfinds
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2018, 02:30:08 PM »
Corpses don't normally have a value, that's why the sculpted trophy thing was an attempt to skirt that barrier
Quote from: Your Link of Sculpt Corpse
Any spell or effect that targets the corpse (such as speak with dead or raise dead) treats it as if it still had its original appearance.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2018, 03:32:21 PM »
Damn!
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • BG's resident furry min/maxer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2018, 06:56:11 PM »
A Core find in the Helm of Brilliance.

Among all the fire spells and explodey bits everyone knows about, there's one line that's a bit of a gem:
Quote from:  PPG
The wearer may command any weapon he wields to become a flaming weapon. This is in addition to whatever abilities the weapon may already have (unless the weapon already is a flaming weapon). The command takes 1 round to take effect.

That's it.  Notice that there is no cost and, more importantly, no duration listed.  Sure, 1d6 fire damage on a weapon doesn't mean much at the point you have a 125k gp item, but being able to apply that to the weapons of an entire army is a pretty good deal.

Now, this is all well and good, but it comes online late.  I would be saying that, but they also made a far cheaper version of the helm that still has this ability!  The Lesser Helm of Brilliance is less than 1/5th the price.  18k for applying the Flaming weapon quality to as many weapons as you want on top of the items other abilities is nuts.
"When life gives you lemons, fire them back at high velocity."

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2018, 03:01:54 PM »
So idk about PF's Helm but D&D's version has an overload effect, if you hit the wearer with 31 points of Fire damage and they fail a DC 15 Will Save every unused jewel is simultaneously used. That's up to ten randomly targeted Prismatic Sprays, one 230ft long Wall of Fire, and thirty 10d6 Fireballs centered on the wearer (1,050 avg dmg).

Not a bad ending after you buffed every sword to barstool with Flaming, just put it on a summoned animal and throw a Fireball at it.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2018, 03:18:45 PM »
So idk about PF's Helm but D&D's version has an overload effect, if you hit the wearer with 31 points of Fire damage and they fail a DC 15 Will Save every unused jewel is simultaneously used. That's up to ten randomly targeted Prismatic Sprays, one 230ft long Wall of Fire, and thirty 10d6 Fireballs centered on the wearer (1,050 avg dmg).

Not a bad ending after you buffed every sword to barstool with Flaming, just put it on a summoned animal and throw a Fireball at it.

Both games helms have that effect.
Both games helms only offer fire resistance when activated.
Both helms don't need to be active to blow up.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2018, 03:46:29 PM »
1 & 3 maybe true but 3 is subjective since it says after the fire protection is taken into account. You could take it as a reminder of how Resistance works or you could take it as a way to avoid accidental detonation if it's inactive.

You can pick what you want and your DM may pick something different. All I can say for me since you need to hit the creature, not the helm, with the fire damage it makes more sense the creature needs to be under the Helm's effects (ie setting the area/weapons on fire) to start the chain reaction rather than simply holding it with his head and burning his toe.

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2018, 09:37:19 PM »
It gets better: Pathfinder also has a version of the Helm of Brilliance that's based on Electricity spells and damage instead of Fire.

And yes, it can grant the Shocking weapon quality.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2018, 09:53:47 PM »
1 & 3 maybe true but 3 is subjective since it says after the fire protection is taken into account. You could take it as a reminder of how Resistance works or you could take it as a way to avoid accidental detonation if it's inactive.

You can pick what you want and your DM may pick something different. All I can say for me since you need to hit the creature, not the helm, with the fire damage it makes more sense the creature needs to be under the Helm's effects (ie setting the area/weapons on fire) to start the chain reaction rather than simply holding it with his head and burning his toe.

I don't see much in the way of subjectivity in it. The Fire Resistance is one of several abilities granted while activated. It is the games own fault for making a default assumption that a player using the helm is actually intent on using it as is and thus will always have it activated for the passive buffs.

But you are right, in a way. It definitely explicitly calls out needing to be set off with magical fire, not just any fire. So that generally consists of a bit more than burning ya toe.

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2018, 06:26:49 PM »

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2018, 05:15:14 AM »
Best class ever!
Well, not really, but hilarious
- All Spells
- playground

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2018, 08:50:04 AM »
I have always been a fan of Old Spice's advertising. :D

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2018, 10:22:14 AM »
"Several of the Gentlemen's abilities involve either subverting the DM or undercutting his decisions, so it's unlikely no sane DM would ever allow this to actually be allowed in the game."

More than a wizard?  Doubtful. :lmao

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2018, 06:01:45 PM »
"Several of the Gentlemen's abilities involve either subverting the DM or undercutting his decisions, so it's unlikely no sane DM would ever allow this to actually be allowed in the game."
Eh it's not that bad, the article was definitely made by someone who doesn't read the optimize related posts.

You get simple/martial weapons & light armor, that Dex+Cha to AC only works when wearing a very specific set of clothing which doesn't give you an armor bonus anyway so until you're packing 18+ in those scores a Swordsage in a Chain Shirt has more AC than you. Most of the Extraordinary Ability do not list an Action so they default to a Standard Action, so you could mass buff multiple attributes of the entire party for several rounds with Bardic Music as a Swift Action, or you could add single +1d6~+5d6 buff to a single attribute to a single target. Heck, Punchline only deals 6d4 on a failed Save. >.>

Mostly it's talking about stuff like this.
Strong Convictions (ex): Gentlemen are very confident in themselves and their abilities. Starting at 2nd level, if the Gentleman critically fails an intelligence or wisdom check, he is fed a falsehood that he will strongly believe no matter who tries to talk him out of it. Even if that person is a genie or something. At 9th level, once the Gentleman’s ego is in full bloom, if the Gentleman rolls a critical success on an intelligence check, the GM must share one very personal secret about themselves with the player.

Something Dumb (sn): The Gentleman possesses some amazing powers. This is not one of them. Starting at 3rd level, once per session, the Gentleman may change one thing in the game that has no effect on actual gameplay and the GM must allow it. If that’s confusing, here are some examples. The Gentleman may: put clown shoes on a party member, turn a troll’s hands into hard-shelled tacos, turn all the plants a beige color, etc. These effects last for the duration of the session.

New Haircut (ex): At 17th level, the Gentleman gets a new, more stylish haircut. Just to be clear, his previous haircut was top fantastic A+ fashionable, but this new haircut is on a whole different plane of style and fashion, ethereal or otherwise. If this is hard to imagine, think of it like this: all crocodiles are cool, but put a crocodile in a ghillie suit? That stuff is unheard of!!! Anyway, now that you understand just how fashionable the Gentleman’s previous haircut was and how this new haircut blows that older, fashionable haircut to smithereens (fashionably speaking), what does this new haircut do? Good question. Easy. When the Gentleman gets this new, level 17 haircut, all other characters in his party immediately gain an extra level, and there is nothing the GM can do about it. Capiche?
You know, it's so weird. Most teens & young adults paying D&D hate any form of authority but having a funny Class Feature that does things without the man's permission is immediately offensive and needs to be banned. >.>

Matrimony seems like a cool ability to invoke on the BBEG too, shame you can't stay out past 10pm through.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2018, 06:05:20 PM »
As I said: More than a Wizard?  Doubtful.

Offline Maelphaxerazz

• Respect: over 9000
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2018, 11:32:07 PM »
EDIT: There was an idea in this post until I realized my idea wouldn't work. So have a kitten instead!

« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 11:37:53 PM by Maelphaxerazz »

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2018, 05:29:41 AM »
Merchant's Manifest

(click to show/hide)

Added the rest of what I found
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 01:22:45 AM by zook1shoe »
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2018, 10:30:07 PM »
I can't be the first person to notice this, so I must be wrong here, but this seems like an obvious loophole.

(click to show/hide)

So as long as you (A)Keep using a different alchemical splash weapon each time & (B) always combine a mixture and a standalone splash weapon, you can keep adding to this mixture?

Edit: Just checked the srd, there are 10 Alchemical "splash" weapons. This could get really ugly.

Edit2: Acid, Alchemist's Fire, Alkali Flask, Burst Jar, Holy Water, Liquid Ice, and Shard Gel are all liquids, so they would work, but Alkali flask is very similar to Acid, so the "similar substances" clause probably prevents that one.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 10:38:50 PM by Nytemare3701 »

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2018, 10:45:31 PM »
You can extend the 24 hr spoil time by mixing in a new alchemical item during that time frame.

Could get expensive, though.
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Craiconn

• 31" Vertical Leap ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2018, 07:03:02 PM »
My favorite combo with Hybridization Funnel is Ghast Retch Flask and Burst Jar.

"A mixture cannot be combined with another mixture."

I believe a Paizo dev chimed in on this once on the Paizo forums.  Something along the lines of adding the words " ... or substance" to the end of that rule sentence.  But, as y'all know, Paizo has been substandard in the last few years on the official updates for errata & FAQ while quick to Stealth Errata and issue "fixes via dev forum posts".   :huh