Author Topic: General Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 211617 times)

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
Re: General Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2013, 07:27:05 PM »
Besides the possibility to salvage the mecha.
By the way, when a mecha is destroyed, does the pod ejection's movement provokes an AoO?
Would the escape pod contain the storage space or is it lost in the wreckage?

It might be better if the storage space was static.
You don't want crazy strong characters with ridiculous light loads carrying buildings in their mecha.  :blush

It might be a good idea to have a general table of mecha functions here instead of splitting them between real and super.
It feels odd to have to go in the real robot page to find information on how super robots work. Like how energy is recharged.

Also, are androids ageless or do they eventually waste away?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 02:27:09 AM by Anomander »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2013, 07:33:28 PM »
I see no problem with that. What's wrong with using mecha to transport buildings? :???

Offline Concerned Ninja Citizen

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2013, 07:45:45 PM »
Nothing wrong with it if the mecha is carrying the building, like, in its arms.

If the building somehow magically fits inside the mecha... the laws of physics would like a word with you.

Also, it makes no sense the other way around, either. I'm a small sized character so there is somehow less space inside my mecha than there would be if I was bigger?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 07:47:45 PM by Concerned Ninja Citizen »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2013, 07:57:44 PM »

If the building somehow magically fits inside the mecha... the laws of physics would like a word with you.

Given that one show (Getter Robo Armageddon, I'm told) has "So much for the laws of physics!" as pretty much an exact quote, I still don't see the issue. Mecha break physics by dint of being human in shape. :p

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2013, 08:42:45 PM »
(click to show/hide)
Sorry, but this is bugging me.

That name refers to humans who have developed psychic powers, usually implied to be the next stage in evolution. UC Gundam calls them Newtypes, Gundam SEED calls it "enhanced spatial awareness" (Mu La Flaga's thing, not to be confused with Coordinators or the SEED Factor), Gundam 00 calls them True Innovators, Gundam AGE calls them X-Rounders, and Super Robot Wars OG calls them Psychodrivers (or just Psychics).

They have battle precognition at low levels, large-scale mind links at high levels, and can use special psychic equipment which improves their mech's power and response time (especially in response to strong emotions), or generates forcefields, or lets them control remote weapons like funnels (sometimes via telekinesis, but usually they're just too complex for normal pilots to handle without AI assistance). The closest D&D equivalent to awakening as a Newtype would be taking Psychic Warrior (or War Mind) levels.

The term is established enough that it's the name of a magazine, so using it for an artificial human is just confusing...

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2013, 08:42:43 AM »
Besides the possibility to salvage the mecha.
The art of salvaging technology has improved quite a lot with the advancment of mechas and their increased destructive power. :p

By the way, when a mecha is destroyed, does the pod ejection's movement provokes an AoO?
No, clarified.

Would the escape pod contain the storage space or is it lost in the wreckage?
The "storage space" is free room inside the cockpit, so it's not lost.

It might be better if the storage space was static.
Not when pilots can have so much space as the mecha itself.

You don't want crazy strong characters with ridiculous light loads carrying buildings in their mecha.  :blush
Please, ever since the first Phantasy Star the characters were storing tank-fortresses on their pockets. :P

If your human-sized character is strong enough to carry a building as a light load, then screw it, he can find a way of fitting it inside his cockpit's spare space.

It might be a good idea to have a general table of mecha functions here instead of splitting them between real and super.
It feels odd to have to go in the real robot page to find information on how super robots work. Like how energy is recharged.
Dully noted.

Also, are androids ageless or do they eventually waste away?
An highly debated question. It's well known that androids can go on for centuries with basic maintenance, but most of the time they end up wrecked by some exterior force, so there's lack of data for long-term survival.  There's some records of Androids going for long periods of activity whitout stopping and/or maintenance that will indeed waste themselves down in less than half a millenia. If put under continuous stress they may not even last a century. The "longest-lived" android in known history would be Wren, that pops up in several major events that span over 5000 years, but many scholars claim that there's actually been not one but multiple "Wrens", all built as close in resemblance to its predecessor as possible.

Also, it makes no sense the other way around, either. I'm a small sized character so there is somehow less space inside my mecha than there would be if I was bigger?
Yes. Mechas are customized to the pilot. A smaller pilot will get a smaller cockpit, any leftover space will be spent in extra stablizing systems to stop him/her from being squashed like a bug against a windshield when the mecha moves.

(click to show/hide)
Sorry, but this is bugging me.

That name refers to humans who have developed psychic powers, usually implied to be the next stage in evolution. UC Gundam calls them Newtypes, Gundam SEED calls it "enhanced spatial awareness" (Mu La Flaga's thing, not to be confused with Coordinators or the SEED Factor), Gundam 00 calls them True Innovators, Gundam AGE calls them X-Rounders, and Super Robot Wars OG calls them Psychodrivers (or just Psychics).

They have battle precognition at low levels, large-scale mind links at high levels, and can use special psychic equipment which improves their mech's power and response time (especially in response to strong emotions), or generates forcefields, or lets them control remote weapons like funnels (sometimes via telekinesis, but usually they're just too complex for normal pilots to handle without AI assistance). The closest D&D equivalent to awakening as a Newtype would be taking Psychic Warrior (or War Mind) levels.

The term is established enough that it's the name of a magazine, so using it for an artificial human is just confusing...
Changed it to Numan then (Newearl for females, Newman for males).

As an aside, the easiest way of representing a psychodriver would be just to pick up Hidden Talent.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2013, 02:56:24 PM »
Every time you edit the Mecha Basics post I have to go through it and figure out what you changed.  :P

Edit: What does the Accel Spirit actually do?  I'm assuming it adds that distance to your movement speed but it doesn't actually say.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2013, 03:30:30 PM »
Alright. Thanks.

Does it mean an Android can take the Ancient Temple discipline?

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2013, 04:54:39 PM »
Yes. Tales of the hungry ghost mistress and her blades have crossed the stars to other worlds.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2013, 05:17:14 PM »
Neat.
Hm, is there a way to increase Upgrade points for Super Robots that I have missed?

The Nanomachine and Mysterious Powers need 5 upgrade points for their last version, but since all upgrade points must be spent as soon as they are acquired, they cannot be saved to gain more than 4 points to pay for them.

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2013, 05:24:15 PM »
Might be a good idea to allow Super Pilots to switch around their upgrades at some point (possibly every level?) which would also answer the above question.

Quote from: Mecha vs Non Mecha Combat
A mecha can choose to use a single-target weapon to damage all non-mecha  targets smaller than himself in a single 5 mu square.

How does this work? Is it an attack or a damaging area effect? If the former is it a single roll compared to all ACs or multiple rolls? If the latter, is there a save and what is it?

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2013, 05:28:55 PM »
Recovering 40% of your max HP every round is already pretty strong, so I'll just cap it at that and call it a day. Changed the example as well.

Area attack you roll once and compare against the AC of everybody inside.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2013, 05:33:13 PM »
Ships have HD? :huh

Kind of amusing that they start off with Arsenal space but can't get anything in there until level 4.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2013, 05:46:26 PM »
You could earlier if you were a multiclass. :p

Fixed typo.

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2013, 10:18:06 PM »
What happens to a Super Robot when its pilot dies in a manner that does not damage the robot?

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2013, 04:29:45 AM »
Evidently it will lay in wait of a new hotblooded pilot to pick it up and slowly work to unlock its full potential again. :p

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2013, 04:45:56 AM »
When you get your mecha destroyed and do the redeeming quest, do you have to get the same mecha as the one that was destroyed?

Also, can an Android use One With the Machine with a Moon Vanguard's nanoarmor?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 05:10:32 AM by Anomander »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2013, 05:31:48 AM »
You can get a new mecha.

I'll say yes to Android with nano armor as well.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2013, 08:41:58 AM »
Thanks.
Just to make sure I get One With the Machine, is the mecha's own hp 'saved' while the android takes the hits? As if, when it leaves the ability, it gets back to the hp it had before OwtM.
I could be that the damage
If so, is the mecha destroyed when the android's hp reaches zero or is the mecha getting its 'saved' hp back when the android dies within it?

You also made me notice that bit about Mecha weapons always counting as [Force] effects whenever it would be benefical for them.
Does that mean that by counting as a force effects, their damage can also count as force damage?

Because if that is so, all mecha weapons can bypass DR altogether.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 09:11:05 AM by Anomander »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2013, 02:55:34 PM »
One With the Machine replaces the mecha's HP. That means that yes if the android exits the mecha, it gets back to the HP it had before.

However if the mecha is reduced to 0 HP while One With the Machine is active, the mecha is destroyed regardless of how much HP it normally had. The android may still be kicking if it didn't drop below -9.

Put in clause that mecha weapons counting as force effects doesn't make them bypass DR.