Author Topic: Chapter 3: Chaos Reigns  (Read 130118 times)

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
Re: Chapter 3: Chaos Reigns
« Reply #200 on: July 18, 2014, 01:55:37 AM »
He hopes Bryan is a real wizard.  Does he live on the coast?

"George Bryan you say, is he a good man?  Will I be coming with you for this?  You only need the way."  After all, he doesn't know this place and was transported here via a storm.  He doesn't think this is Mabell anymore.
Mudada.

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 18, 2014, 07:53:57 AM »
OOC: Yes, we are.

"Yes, I think it'd be best if you came, too, John. If nothing else, I imagine you don't want to split up until we get a better idea of what happened to you. Bryan might have some questions and answers for you, too."
My creations

Please direct moderation-related PMs to Forum Staff.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 19, 2014, 03:15:28 AM »
It is a desolate morning as the people on the street are still whispering of the previous day and nights events.  You make it to the town hall and after much ado about nothing you are finally allowed to see Bryan, who seems frustrated that you weren't shown in immediately.

"My apologies, I'm still dealing with petty infighting among the staff and council.  What can I do for you gentlemen?"

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 19, 2014, 08:18:47 AM »
"Thanks for meeting with us on short notice. Several people wanted a word with you." Eric looks to the natives.
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 19, 2014, 06:14:59 PM »
"You should listen to what he has to say first."

*points at Sol*

"Tell this man your story."

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 19, 2014, 08:53:33 PM »
Eric nods and looks to John. "Yes. Go on."
My creations

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #206 on: July 21, 2014, 08:38:13 PM »
They were off to meet important people, though the exact nature and position of Mr. Bryan was fuzzy to John.  He'll request proper clothing and be sure to wear a hat to arrest his rather wild hair.  The last thing he needs to do is look the stereotype of the raving seabaked madman, not when he needs to make his case.  "Hello, I am Johnathan Whitechapel, and I have had the fortune of being rescued..." he began as he went into his tale once more, hesitating at parts as his memory of the incident grew hazy and uncertain of himself.  He addressed two parts with particular fervor; how the people of Mabell had "not been themselves" and how afterward what civilization he ran into also seemed off, and more importantly didn't even know of a Mabell.

"I've yet to meet a person who acknowledges it exists, I cannot have come from a non-existent place.  The lack of knowledge seems to wide spread to be mere conspiracy and it makes me question my own existence, yet here I am so it must be true.  As for the populace, it may be a stretch but I have begun to wonder if they are one in the same as your monsters.  The townspeople were 'off' in a way that is difficult to define, as if someone had made close but not right simulacrum of them.  Your things wear skins of people, it seems too close.  I have to know.  And, even if its not the same, maybe it can bring me closer to the truth.  For now, all I can do is offer my help and information where my missing town was."

Did he miss anything?  Oh, an important question!  "Your... what did you call the skinwalkers again, Are-something?  When you find it, what do you plan to do with it?  Should we try and interrogate the beast or slay it on sight?
Mudada.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 22, 2014, 03:14:10 AM »
He looks surprised by that last bit and looks at the rest of teh party.

"Has he been 'brought in' so to speak?"

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 22, 2014, 08:01:04 AM »
"Yes. He's seen enough on his own that I didn't think there was any chance of convincing him 'it was all just a dream', or something. He had questions, and I figured we could get the most honest answer from him if we were also forthcoming. Also, some of our group has gone missing, as of late. I'm both concerned for their safety, but also for ours. It's not prudent to wander about alone in this city, anymore, and we're dangerously close to there being no group."
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 22, 2014, 04:46:37 PM »
"I would like to thank our new friends for bringing this to my attention.  Would you be willing to retell your story within the hour at a full meeting of the Council?"

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #210 on: July 27, 2014, 08:01:44 AM »
"Oh, of c-course."  For once he was having progress.  It was a.. strange feeling.  He hoped the hope was not unfounded.
Mudada.

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 27, 2014, 10:50:34 AM »
OOC: Do the natives have any questions for Bryan, since they were the ones who wanted to talk to someone?
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 27, 2014, 07:09:12 PM »
ooc: oddly no.  You asking them anything before the meeting?

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 27, 2014, 09:20:24 PM »
To the natives, discretely: "So, who is it you wanted to talk to? Bryan, or do you want to wait to address the council? I'm not sure if you wanted to talk in private or something more open."
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 27, 2014, 09:28:34 PM »
"This mans story needed to be told while there is still time.  If what he says is true, then things are much worse than we had thought."

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 27, 2014, 10:00:48 PM »
Eric agrees and waits for the council to meet.
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 27, 2014, 11:30:23 PM »
In an hours time you all meet within the hall.  There is much uproar as many are not entirely understanding of their days interruption.  Councilman Bryan quiets the clamor, and speaks:

"Thank you for your time Gentlemen.  I know this was short notice, and some of my messengers may have been quite curt, but this is an emergency.  Things are much worse than we had believed.  As you know a man was rescued from the docks recently, and he has been the only man seen on the waters in some time now.  This is that man.  And I would like you to listen to him."

*points at Eiji's PC*

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #217 on: July 28, 2014, 12:00:47 AM »
They sure knew how to make a man nervous.

Everything was so much bigger than he anticipated, everyone was focused on him.  It made him lightheaded to think about it.  "Is this... is this what I should do?  I'm a terrible public speaker." he begged Eric once he realized the scope of things to come.  He would have to review his diary and double check remembering his story in case there was a variation in theme.  Mabell is gone, he built something, there were strangers, the people were spiders, wait, no, the people were 'wrong', he suspected they were spiders.  And they had dogs?  What was chasing him now?  Oh god...

"I'm gonna need a drink." he muttered.  He'll have to do this.  When introduced he'll stand, coughing nervously and adjusting his shirt.

"H-hello gentlemen.  Uh, thank you for making time for me, you must all be very busy with your spider problem I've been told about."

He glanced over the crowd.  Out of the corner of his eye he swore he saw something off about this.  Maybe it was just panic setting in but what if not all of them were human?  He didn't even think about that, if he told everything then they'd know, and who knows what they'd do.  But he needs to tell them, even though he was chased out Mabell was his home.  It was that damned pastor's fault.  Wait, it was the pastor's fault?  He doesn't really recall.

It occurred to him he had been standing there silent and awkward there for a moment.  "Please excuse me, I'm not really... good at this.  Like Mr. Bryan said, I had been lost at sea.  I was fleeing from my hometown of Mabell in Maine, a town which I haven't seen any reference to yet.  I checked the local maps here before I came and it is the same as always, no indication of it existing.  My town had fallen victim to something fell and supernatural, something I can't quite explain and dare not recall.  I no longer trust my pastor there, I remember he was important in what happened.  Unfortunately the events which led up to it have been distorted, but I suppose the results are more important.  My town is gone and there was something wrong with its people."

He proceeded to tell his tale, though much more uncertain of himself and nervous.  He seemed to skip over the part of the strangers, focusing instead on the populace no longer acting normal and how they turned upon him.  They had beset a beast of some uncertain appearance, and that his journey, a journey which seemed to be at least a month long, was met with unnatural weather and fog.  More importantly was his encounters with others who claimed not to know where he came from and offered no sanctuary.  Eventually he was driven to the shore by his pursuers and left on raft.  He thought himself safe, but he was no sailor and soon he was adrift in the waves.

"I had kept a dairy of events before the boat trip.  I would have presumed it an elaborate fever dream, but I had on me the book, and a gun.  I do not even know where I received the gun but I know I am a peaceful man, I had no reason to own one.  I think I may have taken it from someone to protect myself against my pursuers.  Even though my town seems to have been taken over by whatever IT is, I still desire to go back to find out what happened and who else escaped or survived or remains normal.  And the problem is so much bigger than me now, the whole country is in danger from the strange and aberrant.  Right now I suspect the spiders you seek are involved with Mabell somehow, but I can't know until I find it.  I'll help you find it.  Please... tell me that the information I bare is potent, tell me that it helps!"
Mudada.

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
  • Developing a relaxed attitude toward danger
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 28, 2014, 02:04:25 AM »
Robert listens curiously to the speech, half-paying attention and half-making notes for future research. If even a fraction of this was true - and even if it wasn't, given recent events - gunpowder would be in the highest of demands. With sea trade completely out of the question, alternate methods for obtaining it would be crucial for the faintest hope of survival.
Homebrew Compendiums: D&D 3.5 4e/PF
IRC: #mmxgeneral on Rizon

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 28, 2014, 02:56:00 AM »
The gathering listens with absolute stone-faced silence.  Several of them look stunned as Councilman Bryan addresses them:

"Gentlemen with an ... event of this proportion we are likely not dealing with emissaries of the Enemy so much as one of the Enemy themselves.  Nothing else we know of holds the power to make this happen.  Washington may have doomed us all.  It is possible this pastor he mentions was corrupted and managed to open a doorway through which the town was pulled, in which case we are still in dire straits, but not immediately damned.  We need to think upon this.  Redouble your efforts to defend the city and find the necessary ingredients for us to create our own ball and powder.  Those of you weapon smiths among us have full authority to requisition what you need to devise new and improved weapons.  We may well need them.  You may think our new friends among the Natives who made sure this was brought to light most expediently.   So your best to calm the townsfolk, as squabbles with the Lenape are not something we need or desire at this point.  I will see you all again soon at the next scheduled meeting unless more trouble is brought to light."