Author Topic: Shadowrun - Technomancer  (Read 7703 times)

Offline valen0121

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Shadowrun - Technomancer
« on: November 04, 2012, 02:03:28 AM »
Has anyone built a 300 point technomacer for a shadowrun 4th edition campaign? The campaign will be set in the Nashville sprawl. So out our group has a dwarven rigger, elven street samurai, human adept, human combat mage, and a troll hacker/rigger.

Thanks,
Valen

Offline Halinn

• Legendary Member
  • My personal text is impersonal.
    • View Profile
Re: Shadowrun - Technomancer
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 03:28:00 AM »
300 points really hurts for a technomancer. You want your physical stats low, in that case, and be prepared to accept being locked into a fairly narrow role. Your main utility will probably be with sprites.

Offline valen0121

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 09:22:05 PM »
This is what i come up with so far, any suggestions for impreovements?

Body   1   0
Agility   1   0
Reaction   1   0
Strength   1   0
Charisma   2   10
Intuition   5   40
Logic   5   40
Willpower   4   30
Edge   2   0
Essence   6   0
Resonance   5   40
Natural Hardening   0   10
Technomancer   0   5
Addiction (Mild)      -5
Media Junkie (Mild)      -5
Sensitive System      -15
SINner      -5
Cracking Skill Group   4   40
Dodge   2   8
Electronics Skill Group   2   20
Negotiation   2   8
Perception   2   8
Pistol   1 (+2)   4
Tasking Skill Group   2   20
Contacts   8   8
Complex Forms      35
Resorurces      4

Offline Halinn

• Legendary Member
  • My personal text is impersonal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 10:24:49 AM »
Remove natural hardening for another point of charisma. I'd change negotiation into etiquette, as that's generally more useful. Otherwise it doesn't look too bad. I'm surprised you were able to fit that much in 300 points (although those physical stats, *shudder*)
I suggest that your addiction be to Betel (Arsenal p. 74), since that explicitly can't go beyond mild.
Instead of getting the Tasking group, get compiling and registering separately, because decompiling is not very good. That saves you enough to get one of them to 3. Consider lowering dodge to 1 to get the other at 3 as well.
When you start getting karma, you want first to get a whole bunch of specializations. Hacking (Exploit), Software (Threading), Compiling and Registering (Sprite of choice), Pistol (semi-automatics), perception (visual), etc.

What technomancer stream have you chosen? If you're just using the one from the core book, switch around your logic and willpower scores.

Offline 10By10RoomInAnOrc

• Lurker
  • Where's the Treasure Chest?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 10:50:17 PM »
Oh, to find a Shadowrun game to play in... *sigh*

From what I remember, from a min/max efficiency perspective it's most efficient to either spend your BP to bring an attribute to its racial max value minus one, or else leave it unchanged and instead spend Karma to improve it as soon as possible. Of course, you might not survive too long with abysmal stats, so you may want to throw whatever you can into Edge, as you may be relying on it to save your bacon for a while, at least until you get Karma rolling in.

Here's how it breaks down (I'm presuming Human at this point):
You start at 1 on your stat, which costs nothing.
To raise it up 1 point (up to a value of 2), it costs 10 BP or 5x(new stat value) in Karma, so it costs the same in either Karma or BP.
To raise it up 2 points, it costs 20 BP or (5x2)+(5x3), 25 Karma, meaning it will cost slightly more in Karma than in BP.
To raise it up 3 points, it costs 30 BP or (5x2)+(5x3)+(5x4), 45 Karma, which is 1.5 times what it could cost in BP.
For a score of 5 (because we're adding 4 points to the starting value of 1), it's 40 BP or 70 Karma, or not quite double.
For a score of 6 (racial max), it costs... 25 just for the last point, so a total of 65 BP or 100 Karma, so it's not quite as efficient as having it one below the racial max.

If you're human, the racial max for Edge is 7, so you could get a wonderful 6 points of Edge for only 40 BP, and quite frankly you're going to need all the Edge you can get.

I agree with the suggestion of buying specializations for two karma a piece, from a numbers standpoint it's one of of the better deals you can get.

All of which has to be balanced against the needs of the character of course; you might not be able to achieve optimal efficiency, especially with only 300 BP, but the concept still works for in principle.

Finally, I would add that Complex Forms are VERY efficient BP purchases, costing 1 BP per point of rating each, while it would take a total of 22 karma to purchase and raise one form up to rating 6 vs. 6 BP. But again, you're working with a BP shortage...

Offline valen0121

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 04:23:21 PM »
Sorry took so long to reply, Here's an updated version of the character. The GM bump up the build points to 350. I still have 39 BP to play with.

Metatype (0 BP)
---------------
Hunan

Attributes (120)
----------------
Body - 3
Agility - 1
Reaction - 1
Strength - 1
Charisma - 5
Intuition - 3
Logic - 3