Author Topic: Depths of Arhosa  (Read 34713 times)

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
Re: Depths of Arhosa
« Reply #240 on: October 05, 2020, 06:15:44 PM »
The Flonha taps the coin in thought for a second, then says, "Then I suppose the correct thing to do is to find bridge builders and return. The Tokunnir can hardly be allowed to be eaten by moles or the living dead."

"Living dead, really... we should cremate everything regardless, as if we needed another reason."

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 06, 2020, 04:07:02 PM »
One of the merchants, overhearing the statements, laughs out loud before approaching the table, leaning on it with heavy hands and stinking breath. "You meant to tell me your dead got up and walked about? Nonsense. That's a tall tale to scare children and try and weasel out of trading what's rightfully ours. Now, me and these folks here aren't going to go hungry because of your incompetence, so better start coming up with a way to make sure we get what we want, or your city isn't seeing a single trader from the surface ever again."

He was clearly inebriated, although he stood firm all the same.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 07, 2020, 10:57:32 AM »
Tarvon laughs at both of them.  "Return?  I'll never willingly go back in those tunnels for as long as I live!  And not only is that city not my city, but if traders tried to go down those tunnels they would die so of course the city won't see any surface traders!"

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 08, 2020, 11:31:37 AM »
"A fool and a coward. Hardly surprising for one of your type. No wonder your race is dying out." The merchant spat on the table in front of Tarvon.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 08, 2020, 01:12:06 PM »
"A coward, hmm? And I suppose you aren't? You'll find lumber and brave the depths to prove there's no monsters, nothing to be afraid of? Or--will you stay here, drinking and blaming others, leaving evil to fester and grow when we should hunt it down to the last corner and burn it clean?"

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 12, 2020, 12:47:52 PM »
"Coin, lady. You come up with coin or kind enough, we'll venture down below. But from the looks of what came up from the deeps, you're rather lacking in both. Not much point saving a place for no profit."

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 12, 2020, 03:25:04 PM »
"It's true, the dead walk, and there are even more sinister things walking these tunnels - yet. We will cleanse them and restore the underground town to its former glory!"

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 12, 2020, 04:40:12 PM »
"Correction!  You'll venture down below.  You'll cleanse them.  I did my job."

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: October 19, 2020, 07:49:56 AM »
"Hah! Since you're short of coin, maybe we'll just keep this one company while your little posse braves the depths. I'm sure he'll be good for a story or two, he looks the type." The merchant clearly knows the reputation of the Chanwyr as bards and storytellers.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 21, 2020, 10:17:58 PM »
"No amount of coin will absolve you of the weight of your sins," the Flonha states flatly, staring unnervingly hard at the man, as if debating whether there was something she should do about that. Aside from the perhaps-unsettling glowing radiance around her, she makes no immediate move. "If you wait for others to work for salvation on your behalf, then you will be left destitute materially and spiritually."

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 22, 2020, 11:25:04 AM »
He was either drunk enough not to care or worldy enough not to be intimidated by the threats.

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 30, 2020, 12:15:32 PM »
"Enough." the Professor said. "We of the deep have not forgotten our courtesy. He pulls out a flask of dwarven ale, brewed from the cities below. "Now why don't you listen to our story over a bottle? I'm sure you haven't had a taste of the homeland i quite some time."
Hmm.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 30, 2020, 12:24:37 PM »
The free drink calmed the merchant enough that he was willing to listen, but only just. He certainly wasn't as calm as might be desired. It was an improvement from the almost fight though.

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 27, 2020, 01:33:42 PM »
Bleckerich goes on to describe the events down below, especially the mole-like creatures, their sudden attack, disappearance and the cost they have wrought on the caravan. He makes a mental note to scribe down his observations and store them in a safe place, so that future expeditions could benefit.

"It is vital that they are flushed back into whatever abyss they have crawled from. If they manage to claim all of the world below for them, where do you think they'd be heading next to rob it of its riches? I think this surface spot with a convenient connection to the subterranean trade routes would be a prime spot for their next invasion."

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 27, 2020, 01:55:35 PM »
"Saying that makes it sound awful certain you're going to lose down there without our help. And just in case you lot aren't aware, but it's not all wonders and delights up here. Just because we have things to trade doesn't mean we have things to give for free. And certainly not our lives. So what are you offering?" The merchant still wanted something for his efforts.

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: December 13, 2020, 12:56:01 PM »
"I will personally teach Runecraft to all willing children in this settlement once they are pushed back." the Professor offered. "And if I have access to a forge, I can make you weapons or armor at cost."
Hmm.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 14, 2020, 01:27:07 PM »
The traders, somewhat cut off as they were from the traditional life of the Tokunnir, responded with enthusiasm to the proposal, although some of the more skeptical traders wondered aloud as to just how many were going to survive to enjoy the benefits of such training. And how they could enforce a contract on someone like the Professor.

If those concerns were answered, and a daily stipend provided, and meals were covered, then there would be something to take back underground.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 19, 2020, 06:34:15 AM »
"I can pay some of it now, anybody that chooses to turn back if we encounter something can keep that, but for the rest..." the newcomer says, reaching into her clothes and, after some finagling, producing a surprisingly weighty bag. Not that this one had much idea of what dangers might actually lie in wait and whether such cowardice might be justified... but the venal, flawed nature of people could always allure some with immediate reward.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 19, 2020, 06:39:21 AM »
The merchant hefts the bag, then nods. It would be sufficient for the hiring. Although there is still the matter of goods for the city and the need to acquire those.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 22, 2020, 03:54:30 PM »
"I'm turning back now!" Tarvon says and storms off.