Author Topic: HeroForge Anew (D&D 3.5 Character Builder)  (Read 28448 times)

Offline Vizzerdrix

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: HeroForge Anew (D&D 3.5 Character Builder)
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2015, 10:58:35 PM »
This is fantastic! Thank you for making it.  :clap :)

Offline Heliomance

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2015, 10:23:43 AM »
Release 7.4.0.0 is finally out - now with Oriental Adventures!

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Smile! Jesus loves you!
    • View Profile
    • Greg Campbell's Portfolio
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2015, 10:38:36 PM »
Heliomance: Thank you for making this!

Offline KellKheraptis

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Temporal Dissonance Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2015, 08:56:42 PM »
Anyone tried this on Linux per chance?  Heliomance, what libraries are you running on, out of curiousity?  And finally - if there's enough appeal and I have time, I'd be tempted to turn this as well into the first really all-encompassing app as well (for the moment, Android only, though I imagine with PhoneGap or one of the other HTML5 based ones it'd be a pretty simple port to iOS -shudder- ).

Offline Heliomance

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2015, 04:54:00 AM »
I don't imagine it would be easy to port to mobile at all. It exclusively runs on Excel, at the moment. I don't know if Excel for Linux is a thing that exists, but if it is it should run on that, I think.

To my knowledge, it doesn't use any libraries. The code all runs on the VBA framework that ships with Microsoft Office. Long-term, I hope to make it a standalone database-based app, but that requires me picking up a lot of skills that I don't have yet, and is probably a minimum of a couple of years down the line.

Slightly shorter term, I'm hoping to make it compatible with OpenOffice, but that in itself is a major undertaking and I've not looked into it enough to know just how much work that's going to entail yet.

Offline KellKheraptis

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Temporal Dissonance Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2015, 09:01:32 AM »
I don't imagine it would be easy to port to mobile at all. It exclusively runs on Excel, at the moment. I don't know if Excel for Linux is a thing that exists, but if it is it should run on that, I think.

To my knowledge, it doesn't use any libraries. The code all runs on the VBA framework that ships with Microsoft Office. Long-term, I hope to make it a standalone database-based app, but that requires me picking up a lot of skills that I don't have yet, and is probably a minimum of a couple of years down the line.

Slightly shorter term, I'm hoping to make it compatible with OpenOffice, but that in itself is a major undertaking and I've not looked into it enough to know just how much work that's going to entail yet.

Better to go with OpenOffice's fork, LibreOffice.  And that being said, if it's mainly VB driven off a database, sounds like a good candidate for a WordPress install, given that WP runs entirely on mySQL.

Offline Heliomance

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2015, 09:53:46 AM »

Better to go with OpenOffice's fork, LibreOffice.  And that being said, if it's mainly VB driven off a database, sounds like a good candidate for a WordPress install, given that WP runs entirely on mySQL.

No databases involved. It's all in Excel, it's a gigantic over-bloated spreadsheet, with a bunch of VBA scripting behind the scenes. I want to move it to a database eventually, but as I currently know nothing about databases that's a long way off.

Offline PlzBreakMyCampaign

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2016, 05:10:56 PM »
I know its been a year and that the OP has most of his dozen or so posts in this one thread, but it requires x64 office. I grabbed a pretty sweet image of 60GB+ of RAM next to a "you don't have enough RAM!" error message from Excel 2016 when trying to open the .xls, but this forum can't upload pictures.

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Smile! Jesus loves you!
    • View Profile
    • Greg Campbell's Portfolio
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2016, 12:52:25 AM »
First, thankee for making such an extensive database of spiffy 3.5 character creationness!

Any plans to incorporate Faiths of Eberron, Faiths and Pantheons, Dragons of Eberron, and Lost Empires of Faerun into this mix?  What about a 'use/disallow all listed sources' button?

Also, as a Human Druid1, I was given the option to choose a Psion discipline specialization.  Telepathy and Psychoportation were missing from the list.

Skills: I would like extra columns to account for a variety of other sources for skill bonuses (Skill Focus, +2 skill feats, masterwork tools, racial bonuses, class bonuses, etc.)

Animal Companions:  I would like Magebred (Swift Breed, Thick-Skinned Breed, and Tracking Breed options) from Eberron Campaign Setting, and Warbeast from Monster Manual II.  I'm also unsure if armor check penalty properly calculates into the sheet.

Custom Race:  Needs a line after CHA for skills.  (The skills description is on the CHA line, seemingly 1 line too high.)

Dragon Magazine: Useful Dragon Magzine Stuff is good to include!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 02:03:58 AM by Endarire »

Offline redking

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2019, 09:55:08 AM »
How did I not know about this? Downloading!