Author Topic: Gnome Paladin  (Read 1993 times)

Offline Necrosnoop110

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Gnome Paladin
« on: February 24, 2020, 11:54:19 AM »
5e
Starting Stats: 7, 10, 12, 16, 16, 18
Starting Level: 8th 

Was really hoping to zip around the battlefield on a small mount and some kind of lance? Super defense of Forest Gnome advantage on saves plus Paladin boost at 6th level? Maybe dip into warlock or sorcerer for some options? 

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Necky

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
Re: Gnome Paladin
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 04:21:32 PM »
Conq + a war wiz dip to take advantage of the gnome int boost
16 -- 10 -- 16 -- 12+2 -- 7 -- 18
dip War Wizard 2 (and maybe 3, maybe more)

UA Sidekick is the better Ranger Beast, and certainly too for a Mount ; if that's available.

Lance can be used 1 handed while mounted,
so Easy Lee came up with dual wielding 2 Lances
just need the feat(s?) idk haven't checked that out in quite a while

the Wis 7 works OK with Prof + Adv + Pally 6, but you might prefer adding a +1 feat to it.

Otherwise Sorc 1 / Pal 6 / Sorc +X ... is such a damage monster
that it'll handle whatever quirks you wanna mix in. 
And has by far the most interwebs work handbook action.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Necrosnoop110

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 09:20:35 AM »
(1) If I go with Gnome Paladin 7/Sorcerer 1 what do you recommend I do with the ability score increase/Feat slot? DM's letting me call a Giant Wolf-Spider with my Find Steed spell. Should I go with Mounted Combatant?

The guide recommended that if I go for Oath of the Ancients I should go to 7th to pick up the Aura of Warding.

(2) Extra Rules Question: Can I attack the same creature twice with a lance while mounted? Or do I need to move between attacks?

(3) Extra Tactics Question: What is a smart way to handle opponents who move within 5' of me and my mount and are inside the ideal attack range of the lance? Drop the lance? That seems foolish. Is there a way to attach the lance to the mount so I can let go and grab a sword for close quarters?
Lance. You have disadvantage when you use a lance to attack a target within 5 feet of you. Also, a lance requires two hands to wield when you aren’t mounted.
Source: http://5e.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#weaponProficiencies

(4) Sorcerer: Draconic Bloodline OR Divine Soul?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 12:44:59 PM by Necrosnoop110 »

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 05:37:17 PM »
Sorc 1 first for Con prof.
Giant Wolf-Spider at cr 1/4 like most of the mounts, should be fine ... Sidekicks are CR 1 instead of 1/4 and with added levels.
Int gets the 7+2 , Wis or Con either gets 12 or 16.
Guide yeah yeah they've got it figured out, except for the Breaking BM below.
But choosing Mounted Combat or Dual Wielding or both or +2 Cha, and when idk? Probably don't need War Caster, +2 Str later

attack x2 = yes , heck throw in the 2nd lance with it , doesn't make historic sense (but my kitty avatar isn't your fantasy no?)

5' is up to the mount, or drop+draw, or just wield the sword (or lighter) anyway
Here's the post, scroll to sir lancelot --> https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?376418-Breaking-BM
The equivalent of a lanyard doesn't exist officially but is quite obvious.
Call it one of those el cheapo 100gp magic items, considering the balancing it part, still have to draw the weapon after dropping it, or some such ...

Draco wastes level 1 on no dex + Pal armor, damage is still not the best choice.
Divine Soul opens meta + cleric list goodies without really stepping on a real Cleric's toes and they can swap out anyway. Certainly worth a pre-chat to avoid feelings etc.

baby yoda says :  Death by gnome?  How embarrassing, how embarrassing ?!
Your codpiece is a mimic.