Author Topic: 5e Psionics  (Read 12875 times)

Offline Necrosnoop110

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
5e Psionics
« on: April 17, 2017, 12:56:06 PM »
When are we going to get finished, professional level, print book grade 5e psionics?

Offline Wilb

• Elder Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: 5e Psionics
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 04:09:03 PM »
Maybe in 2020?
Lovely Zoma...

Offline Necrosnoop110

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 02:52:10 PM »
First Print: Player's Handbook (Dungeons & Dragons) Hardcover – August 19, 2014

Current Date: 12/5/2017

Difference: 3 years, 3 months, 16 days

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 05:11:55 PM »
 :)

It's been 39 months and 16 days
Since you took your teleMpathic Projection away.
Ah ah ah ahhhh ah

---  Psinead O'Connor
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Necrosnoop110

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 10:23:45 AM »
:)

It's been 39 months and 16 days
Since you took your teleMpathic Projection away.
Ah ah ah ahhhh ah

---  Psinead O'Connor
:lmao

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 04:25:13 PM »
hear hear.

I participated in the beta, and that was always my primary question - where are the psionics?

No one in my current campaigns plays 5th ed, so I've delayed getting any books until psionics are manifested. ^^

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 08:56:07 PM »
I participated in the beta, and that was always my primary question - where are the psionics?
I'll give you an example of a theoretical expansion.

Let's say we wanted to do psionics. We'd tie that to a campaign you can play, maybe one centered on mind flayers or a similar foe.

The psionic sourcebook would be the player's companion to the DM's mind flayer campaign. The sourcebook would have all the info for creating psionic characters, along with world material for players who are creating characters for the mind flayer campaign. The player's book might also have a chapter written from an in-world perspective on psionics and psionic monsters, the kind of information that a character might have access to or have heard.

You can expect us to do one or two such products a year, to give people enough time to play through a campaign without overwhelming them with new options.
On a very slow cycle.

Offline Wilb

• Elder Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2017, 07:56:52 AM »

Let's say we wanted to do psionics. We'd tie that to a campaign you can play, maybe one centered on mind flayers or a similar foe.

The psionic sourcebook would be the player's companion to the DM's mind flayer campaign. The sourcebook would have all the info for creating psionic characters, along with world material for players who are creating characters for the mind flayer campaign. The player's book might also have a chapter written from an in-world perspective on psionics and psionic monsters, the kind of information that a character might have access to or have heard.

You can expect us to do one or two such products a year, to give people enough time to play through a campaign without overwhelming them with new options.
On a very slow cycle.

So, after these two videos, it seems that psionics are slowly but surely coming now.
Lovely Zoma...

Offline Necrosnoop110

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2017, 12:02:18 PM »

On a very slow cycle.

So, after these two videos, it seems that psionics are slowly but surely coming now.
:clap

Offline Necrosnoop110

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 12:23:33 PM »
As aside, in this video Githyanki and Githzerai in Dungeons & Dragons there seems to be many historical facts that are mysteries.

Now I understand the difficulties in predicting future events in D&D. But with spells and powers like Commune, Contact Other Plane, Hypercognition, Legend Lore, Limited Wish, Metafaculty, Miracle, Vision, Wish, in the game how can the historical facts still be unknown? (and that's not even counting magic items/relics and epic level shenanigans)

Further, would/could there be any historical facts (theoretically) that would be left unknown with all those spells and powers available?

Cheer,
Necro 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 12:27:26 PM by Necrosnoop110 »

Offline TC X0 Lt 0X

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The TC Storywriter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 02:01:02 PM »
As aside, in this video Githyanki and Githzerai in Dungeons & Dragons there seems to be many historical facts that are mysteries.

Now I understand the difficulties in predicting future events in D&D. But with spells and powers like Commune, Contact Other Plane, Hypercognition, Legend Lore, Limited Wish, Metafaculty, Miracle, Vision, Wish, in the game how can the historical facts still be unknown? (and that's not even counting magic items/relics and epic level shenanigans)

Further, would/could there be any historical facts (theoretically) that would be left unknown with all those spells and powers available?

Cheer,
Necro

Many historical facts that are mysteries is code for DMs can make up whatever they want, IMO.
Im really bad at what I do.
A+

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2017, 04:00:55 PM »

Cheer,
Necro

You missed a couple: Destiny's trail and Psychometry.

However, the answer is Yes:
  • anything that is protected against divination would be tougher than normal to crack, especially after a lot of time.
  • most kids simply don't care about history in the slightest, no matter how much old baldy drones on about it. as a result lots of people simply don't think it worth it to spend the resources asking when they could be doing something so much more productive with their time and energy, even if they have the capability.
  • things protected by epic or divine level powers would likewise be tough.
  • some time periods have some sort of disruptive power about them - look what happens when elves try to divine what happened during certain primordial epochs on the world of Oerth.
  • some things back in time can actually trace you forward and either shred your mind, rip you back into their spacetime,
     or just possess you across the gulf of eons.
  • cause the author and/or dm said so, belike....
  • profit?

Offline Wilb

• Elder Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2017, 07:34:20 PM »

Cheer,
Necro

You missed a couple: Destiny's trail and Psychometry.

However, the answer is Yes:
  • anything that is protected against divination would be tougher than normal to crack, especially after a lot of time.
  • most kids simply don't care about history in the slightest, no matter how much old baldy drones on about it. as a result lots of people simply don't think it worth it to spend the resources asking when they could be doing something so much more productive with their time and energy, even if they have the capability.
  • things protected by epic or divine level powers would likewise be tough.
  • some time periods have some sort of disruptive power about them - look what happens when elves try to divine what happened during certain primordial epochs on the world of Oerth.
  • some things back in time can actually trace you forward and either shred your mind, rip you back into their spacetime,
     or just possess you across the gulf of eons.
  • cause the author and/or dm said so, belike....
  • profit?

Considering its 5e, and most of the creatures at the core of  these "historical facts" are probably legendary, a campaign specific mcguffin, lair effect, legendary "action" or similar power could alter historical perception of what actually happened.  Sphinxes already twist time a bit.
Lovely Zoma...

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2017, 02:20:36 PM »
partial tangent but not really , eh you know my drill

It's kinda like a kardashev scale.
0 = bee , take this nectar back to queen she'll be there
1 = humans , no magic infer things into the future
2 = Divinations
3 = Deities and similar handing you the Divinations
4 = AO
5 = Pun-pun
(6 = marvel Beyonders + The writers)

Pun-pun could always rewind any Facts he wants too + scrub them out.

So anyway, if 3e was say a 3.1 -ish level, maybe wotc
wants to dial it down a little, but not as far down as 4e.

Offline Necrosnoop110

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2018, 11:14:23 AM »

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2018, 04:34:17 PM »
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

Too bad they hafta sand off the "ps'rough" edges so much.
Love the Dis on Wis saves cantrip = exactly the sort of thing I've suggested.
Too bad it'll work on all the people (irl) who never buy the specific book.
 ;)

PsyWar 10 the ~recharge even at max, is right about the difference
between a 1/3rd caster and a 1/2 caster's total spell slots.
Or say right at what a Warlock 2 can do throughout a day.

cardrivesyou has done a Mystic Handbook over at gitp
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?542539-Mind-Over-Matter-A-Guide-to-the-5e-Mystic
... can't let all that work go to waste.

Offline Necrosnoop110

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2018, 10:58:52 AM »
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 12:46:50 PM by Necrosnoop110 »

Offline Necrosnoop110

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2019, 12:42:11 PM »
Anything yet?

First Print: Player's Handbook (5e Dungeons & Dragons) Hardcover – August 19, 2014

Current Date: 11/30/2019

Difference: 5 years, 3 months, 11 days
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 12:50:38 PM by Necrosnoop110 »

Offline Nanashi

• it means "he who has no name" in a foreign tongue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2019, 07:05:36 PM »
It's actually been out since the 25th. No survey though since they just link to the survey for the last one.

Looks really meh to me. Looks like a bunch of random effects they named "psionic" and called it a day. The feats are a nice concept, but nobody can really use them thanks to 5E's stupid attribute or feat choice and being redundent on intelligence based characters.

Power points and their interactions is really the only iconic mechanical effect psionics have that doesn't overlap with magic's abilities. They should focus on that instead of empty "flavor". DSP's Sleeping Goddess and Psychic Warrior showed augmenting could be done as something other that boosting powers.