Author Topic: It's time to sports!  (Read 48607 times)

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Disclaimer: not at full capacity yet
    • View Profile
Re: It's time to sports!
« Reply #100 on: August 15, 2013, 12:19:09 AM »
And the Devils have an owner!  It's the guy who owns the Philadelphia 76ers.  Who play in Wells Fargo Center, which is owned by the owner of the Philadelphia Flyers.  So the guy who owns the Devils is forced to have his other team play in the arena owned by the guy who runs the Flyers.  OR: the Devils are owned by a Philadelphia guy.
My Sig's Handy Haversack  Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 16, 2013, 03:19:11 PM »
That's weird.
If it wasn't the NHL and it's various financial troubles,
that would smack of Collusion.  They really really
ought to work out a swap.  (I'm sure they're happy
that I'm not in charge).  A Jersey only guy almost
has that market to himself ;  no more NBA team ; 
no good AAA baseball ;  Yanks/Jets/Giants are York.
etc

Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 20, 2013, 02:28:25 AM »
I'm sure this has gone around a bunch, but here it is anyway:

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 20, 2013, 03:17:59 PM »
Ha-ha ... ha ... umm ...  :plotting ... the cartoonist while funny, may be pulling one over on the fantasy football types.  Football is real.  Demogorgon is not real.  Oh well quibbling.

I was hoping somebody would move up to get Trent Richardson instead of the Browns getting him.  Because even the Browns couldn't screw up what to do with him.  I was wrong, like unbelievably wrong.  The Browns gave him up for HALF what they coulda got at the draft.  Silly Browns, always a J.V. team.  It sucks for everyone else that the Colts are deadly now.  It doesn't suck for the Browns any worse that it already does.

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 21, 2013, 12:15:24 AM »
The Colts still have a second rate QB and rest of the offense and a middle of the road defense.  They are not dangerous, I assure you.  I mean, they lost to MIAMI of all teams.  And almost lost to Oakland.
My Sig's Handy Haversack  Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Offline X-Codes

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • White, Fuzzy, Sniper Rifle.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 21, 2013, 12:23:42 PM »
Fantasy Football is for people who can't figure out Blood Bowl.

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 21, 2013, 01:45:22 PM »
What is Blood Bowl?

Also, the team that gave up the best player to another team in a trade that made the biggest impact: the Patriots gave up Wes Welker.  That trade was probably the most significant single boost/bane to a team this offseason.  It made the Broncos a really dangerous team and it means the Patriots have to deal with a bunch of rookies....it's not been fun as a Pats fan this season so far...

Also, Ohio State has to have set a record with this.  It's halftime, and the score is 55-0.  I believe the record for total points in a game is around 65 or so.  And it's only halftime.  It's....holy cow...I don't even care about college football but this is just weird.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 21, 2013, 02:00:28 PM »
Yeah maybe not deadly quite yet, but give Luck + TR the normal time a rookie gets to prove themselves.
Welker is by far the better receiver than Mike Wallace.  But the dolphins had no deep threat last year.
10 men at the line, versus 4 men at the line and 2 safeties deep = big big difference.

iirc Blood Bowl is like Old School Football meets 2e D&D.

Offline X-Codes

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • White, Fuzzy, Sniper Rifle.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 21, 2013, 03:50:54 PM »
I wouldn't say D&D 2e.  It's more like the old board game Hero Quest, with Dungeon Crawling substituted out for Rugby.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 24, 2013, 07:48:40 PM »
 :tongue ... The last time I gandered at BloodBowl , was the last time the Pirates had a winning season ...  ;)

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 24, 2013, 09:37:55 PM »
So this year?

(EDIT: I'm not a baseball fan, but aren't they winning this year?)

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 24, 2013, 10:00:06 PM »
Yeah, they clinched a playoff spot this past weekend. Or maybe it was yesterday.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 25, 2013, 04:43:34 PM »
Naww it's just an odd co-inkydink.
Pirates had Bonds, Bonilla and Drabeck, and
tossed them away, when McClatchy took over.
What do Newspaper guys know about Baseball?
Nothing ; so they had the worst record in b-ball
for 20 years.  But they made lots of money off
being patsies for the 10x spenders (see Bankees).

I've no idea why I'm slightly riled up about all this.
Maybe it's because "sport" assumes a degree of competition.
Bankees versus the PiLates ...  :drunk

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 23, 2013, 10:46:21 PM »
Holy balls hockey announcers are awesome.  They tell it like it is, and aren't afraid to mince words.  John Scott delivers a cheap shot to a Bruins player, clear head hunt and late hit.  Announcers: That was a bush league play, and he should be fired.  Funny thing, before the game even started the same announcer said that Scott shouldn't be in the league.  Made a point to show that he had one goal in 86 games and plenty of fights, dirty hits, and suspensions.

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 21, 2013, 06:47:12 PM »
So the NFL is no longer about football it seems.  On Sunday, 49ers player Ahmad Brooks hits Drew Brees in the chest, and hard, with a tackle that causes him to lose the ball and the 49ers picked it up.  The refs throw a flag for a hit to the head/neck area, and now Brooks is being fined for the hit.  If Brooks had hit Brees in any place but where he hit him, he would have been penalized for a low hit or a high hit.  In essence, the league has said that you cannot tackle a QB who is not paying attention.  And if he gets hurt, we're fining you, no matter what.  Even if it wasn't a malicious hit and you did literally everything we told you to do.  I'm not the only one who thinks this.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 06:49:33 PM by dman11235 »

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 21, 2013, 10:45:34 PM »
Am I the only one who feels increasingly uneasy about watching/supporting/enjoying football at all, with all of the brain research that has come out in the last few years?

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 21, 2013, 11:46:02 PM »
I feel that as long as the players are aware of the consequences everything is fine.  However, the NFL has tried to suppress knowledge of the consequences, and as a rebound has removed what made the game fun.  Lots of players finish careers without any long term injuries, and they have been for a number of years, even to the way back game.  The way you stop the brain issues (and all the other issues) is to teach the players how to properly tackle to avoid injury.  The helmet is really good at stopping concussions.  They are less of an issue if the head is not targeted.  The most prominent injuries happen to the legs.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 22, 2013, 12:18:55 AM »
I'm too lazy to find the actual links, but I'm pretty sure I've heard/read that the biggest danger isn't so much straight-up concussions, but repeated sub-concussion head-trauma. Especially in younger (middle-/high-school age) players.

I... think I agree that if players are aware of the physical consequences (permanent knee/back/shoulder/etc injuries) then that's on them. But I'm not sure that I agree about the mental consequenses. You can know what it feels like to have that physical injury, and decide that you're "okay" with feeling like that for the rest of your life. But I'm not sure you can ever really know beforehand what it's like to lose brain function.

For the record, if/when I have children, I think that I would not want them to play football.

Offline dman11235

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 22, 2013, 09:45:14 AM »
It is the repeated trauma that is the problem.  But mostly it's repeated concussions, which don't happen on every tackle, even every tackle that hits the head.  If you move your head, you aren't put at risk, and what a good helmet does is make it so that instead of banging your head, you move your head.  big difference.  As long as heads are not targeted, there should be a significant lower risk factor in the sport.  Accidents will still happen, but they happen in every aspect of life.  You can't prevent everything, and making it so that even accidental contact and hits are punished means that no one will even try to tackle in the upper body, and even then it will still happen.  So now you have the problem still occurring AND people taking out knees.

Offline zugschef

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 25, 2013, 12:38:55 PM »
So the NFL is no longer about football it seems.  On Sunday, 49ers player Ahmad Brooks hits Drew Brees in the chest, and hard, with a tackle that causes him to lose the ball and the 49ers picked it up.  The refs throw a flag for a hit to the head/neck area, and now Brooks is being fined for the hit.  If Brooks had hit Brees in any place but where he hit him, he would have been penalized for a low hit or a high hit.  In essence, the league has said that you cannot tackle a QB who is not paying attention.  And if he gets hurt, we're fining you, no matter what.  Even if it wasn't a malicious hit and you did literally everything we told you to do.  I'm not the only one who thinks this.
As a 49ers Fan that play was hard to watch.