Author Topic: Writers of All Arts  (Read 1812 times)

Offline Childe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Even forever must end, I think. ...
    • View Profile
    • Legend RPG, Rule of Cool Gaming
Writers of All Arts
« on: December 08, 2011, 04:04:32 AM »
Be it novels, short stories, poems, scripts of all variety - short, feature, documentary - or perhaps magazine writing, share your news, interests, and more here! Find people with whom to collaborate!

As for myself:

I've written a few short stories, one of which is in serviceable condition; another one is either complete or needs at least two more drafts depending on your tastes (I'm inclined to think it needs the drafts); and one that definitely needs revision but is complete. I also have one that was great in terms of exploring technique, but horrible in content; I don't think I'll ever share that one, though I might poach the style for another work. And I have one that's still in the first draft stage (and has been for several months as I am NOT a fast writer because - and everyone has already scolded me for this, and I don't really give a damn - I let the editor in the room from page 1). I also have several poems (a couple dozen), but all of wildly varying quality, though that couple dozen does not include the many dozen I wrote that I have no intention whatsoever to revisit, which are all so horrible because I wrote them through elementary, middle, and high school. And then I have a recent cross-breed that isn't prose poetry, but it isn't a short story exactly, and it's definitely fiction, but the style is distinctly poetic for chunks of it (it's written in thirteen small sections, totaling about four pages).

My latest project is a short film adaptation (target: max. 15 minutes) of a 204-line poem (public domain), which I actually hope to get funded and ultimately entered in some festivals and then distributed. My decision to turn toward film is out of two interests: 1) to bring the work to a new form (it already spans at least four genres in adaptations), and 2) to work with a more visual medium incorporating human performance into the piece.

My content isn't hugely varied. My writing tends to explore troubled and isolated characters, and includes a story about someone about to kill himself, a story about someone suffering from deep-seated depressive and anxiety disorders (not much happens plot-wise - which I'm quite okay with - hence this sort of vague description), my 'pros-etry' piece (intentionally word-smithed) is about familial and generational estrangement and consequential anxieties, guilt, and secrets. My most up-beat fiction piece deals with fishing - specifically a multiple-perspective story of a family of fish and of a young fisherman, which has moments of horror but is comical overall and meant to be generally endearing. One of my poems deals with faith and abandonment and the loss of a child, but it's in need of significant revision. I have many more up-beat poems than my one short story for fiction, but the general opinion is that my positive material lacks substance because it doesn't really say much about humanity, being caught up in its own contentedness - not claiming any grandiose role for happiness or calmness or what-have-you, but rather simply giving one account of it -, which I suppose could be seen as a version of the fallacy of imitative form, but I think that's a stretch.

My 'formless' writing also includes dozens of jokes, which are meant wholly for amusement, and to be light-hearted and even silly. I've recently taken some of the ones I saved up and began finding places for them in my other writing to add a bit of 'texture' to the pieces. For instance, my piece about familial issues includes a joke about particle physics and another joke about heat.

So how about you? What do you write? What are your interests - what do you try to explore or understand or present to others? What are some of your inspirations?
"You had a tough day at the office. So you come home, make
yourself some dinner, smother your kids, pop in a movie, maybe
have a drink. It's fun, right? Wrong. Don't smother your kids."
- The More You Know

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
Re: Writers of All Arts
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 08:03:19 AM »
I write a lot of poetry, and am bursting to the brim with story ideas, some of which become short stories or the beginnings of novels (most, though, become ideas for D&D campaigns... I have about 6 rattling around in my head).

I belong to an online poetry site where all my poetry goes, and a lot of my short stories.  I've recently begun discussions of collaborating on some stuff with my cousin... we'll see how that goes.

My biggest project thus far is the 25k or so words that my wife and I wrote for a fantasy novel.  It's still in the works, though things have stalled.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline SneeR

• Legendary Member
  • Sneering
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 08:23:33 PM »
I'm working on a novel. I know everyone says that, but mine is actually halfway finished at 100 pages or so.

I also did a short play that I will post (or link to) when I get the time.
A smile from ear to ear
3.5 is disappointingly flawed.

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
  • You have one round to give a rat's ass.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 10:35:00 PM »
Two of my poems have been published, but most of my writing is actually on the forums (the various homebrew projects of mine).
Concerned about how moderation works here? Please PM this account.