Author Topic: [WH40KRPG Rogue Trader] Faith&Fortune New Game looking for players  (Read 49606 times)

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
Re: [WH40KRPG Rogue Trader] Faith&Fortune New Game looking for players
« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2014, 01:49:55 PM »
Oh? In that case, I will go back to actual character-building.

Offline Harald

• wielding a 30 Tons Tank as an improvised flail.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2014, 01:56:58 PM »
Linklord, any opinion on the ship decision?

Haha nope.  Haven't even looked at the ship building rules yet.  I can't begin to have an informed opinion when I don't know what, for example, "Speed : 5 Manoeuvrability +10 Detection: +25 Hull : 70 hp  Armor :21. turret : 2. 75/90 Power, 78/78 Space. 73 Ship points." even means

Speed : the distance a starship can move at average on battle station each round. Expressed in Void Units, aka VU, 1 VU = 10 000 kilometers.
Manoeuvrability the bonus or malus offered by the ship on manoeuvers like faster turning, piloting her through an asteroid field. the higher, the better.
Detection the bonus/malus offered by the ship to scan or detect things like hidden ships, mine fields, and also affect the space combat initiative. the Higher the better.
Hull Integrity Your ship Hit points. Of course, the higher, the better.
Armor Your ship armor. you deduce this to any damage occured, except from Lances, Vortex Torpedoes or Nova Canons. you'd have guessed, the higher, the better.
Turrets Your ship point blank defenses against small craft and torpedoes. Offer a bonus to hit against said threats as well during a full on boarding.
Power: your plasma drive offer to your ship some Power, that is used by your components.
Space: the room available for components inside your ship.

So... I'm really tempted to do Navis Scion, from the Cassini house as described in the Navis Primer,, but for that concept, i'd rather be from a Magistral House. Can I create an equivalent from an homebrew lineage, as in, the same with a different name on a Maigstral house ?
So you want the House Cassini specific abilities, but stacked on a Magisterial House rather than Nomadic house ‘chassis’, right? I see no problem with that. Do you want to include the inter-house rivalry (the Nemesis part) ?
Exactly. As for the Nemesis, I'll keep the one offered, unless it bothers you on some point. that can be personnalised after all.

I've been been a player from day 1 in RT, and  mastering a PbP RT campaign from rank 1 to 6 for three years , in which there is a huge focus on space battles. Don't worry about the ship part, I'll handle this. :smirk
I’m looking forward to some starship combat :D The RL Rogue Trader group I usually play in kinda shies away from ship-to-ship combat, due to liking character combat more (we’re all long time D&D players) and due to the ship we’ve managed to build being somewhat on the overpowered side (pretty much obliterates anything that’s not built to combat it specifically, or is elder frigate level of fast).
glad to hear that. If you need some experience back, do not hesitate to send me a private message ;).

Considering the Overlord, a good one is the plasma drive, as I don't see the plasma drive refit being an easy one to do in game. The teleportarium is very good, but too much prone to abuse, so I try to avoid it when I play. (When I master, that's an other kettle of fishes  :smirk)

100% agreed on the Teleportarium. Is probably the worst written piece of gear in the whole game IMO. Without limitations it’s abusable as hell. With the Into the Storm limitations (one use per session) you might as well not have it, because 90% of the players end up reading ‘one use per session’ as ‘only use when shit really hits the fan’ so it’s usually kept in reserve. In my group we ended up homebrewing some teleportation hazards tables and lifting the usage restrictions, so that teleporting blindly is quite risky, but teleporting with a homer is quite safe.
Another nice piece of archeotech that I like is the Energistic Conversion Matrix. Speed for power is pure gold, especially on larger ships :D It’s your call though, of course. That device is nice for the RP implication and for offsetting the morale penalties for poor-quality components.

true enough. Though, before an Energistic Conversation matrix, what I'd like to get is a good techpriest as the Master Enginseer.  ;)
"-Lady-Captain, we detect 20 hostile vessels against us,  and Erasmus Haarlock's Spear of Destiny ! What are your orders ?
-RAMMING SPEED !

final result : 6 slaughts vessels, 4 imperial frigates, 2 imperial cruisers destroyed. Haarlock sent into the warp. 0 losses. Flawless Victory.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2014, 02:25:37 PM »
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 05:59:53 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline Scout89

• I'm old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2014, 02:30:56 PM »
Guys, I just realised I can make 3d representations of the battle map. With mouse rotation, zoom, etc. I only need some models or I could use cilinders, elyptical extrusions, etc. If you need it, tell me, ok?
Sneaky_Sable: "Keep the Omega Whatever, I'll take that Dagger. Nice to meet you *sneak attack* I hope everything's alright *sneak attack* how's your liver been *sneak attack*..."

Offline LordBlades

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2014, 03:13:15 PM »
Oh? In that case, I will go back to actual character-building.

My group has always used them freely so I actually forgot they're restricted by default ;)

Scout89 thanks for the offer, will think about it.

Offline Wrex

• Large and In Charge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2014, 03:19:05 PM »
I'd be willing to play Navigator, if no one else is intrested.

Offline Harald

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2014, 03:23:17 PM »
I was going to, but I can do a Senechal instead, and you can do a Navigator if you wish too.  :)
"-Lady-Captain, we detect 20 hostile vessels against us,  and Erasmus Haarlock's Spear of Destiny ! What are your orders ?
-RAMMING SPEED !

final result : 6 slaughts vessels, 4 imperial frigates, 2 imperial cruisers destroyed. Haarlock sent into the warp. 0 losses. Flawless Victory.

Offline Wrex

• Large and In Charge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2014, 03:32:28 PM »
I was going to, but I can do a Senechal instead, and you can do a Navigator if you wish too.  :)

Melting people with your third eye is always fantastic.

Offline Harald

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2014, 03:42:36 PM »
Indeed. Though, 2 Navigators players might be a tad much on the same ship ;)
Working on the Seneschal right now.
-RAMMING SPEED !

Offline Wrex

• Large and In Charge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2014, 03:49:23 PM »
As far as ships go, i've always been partial to raiders. What's the current conscensus on what the party wants?

EDIT: There is precedent for mutiple navigators, by the by.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 03:51:13 PM by Wrex »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2014, 03:55:54 PM »
Well, I'm in favour of the exact opposite of a raider. BATTLECRUISER, HO!

There is no such thing as too much firepower. :<

Offline Wrex

• Large and In Charge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2014, 04:10:29 PM »

The thing is, being starved of profit factor /hurts/. It stings you on every level and makes everyone else worse at what they do. Now, granted, my character dosen't really need money- Deathbeams from the eyeballs usually work pretty well. We could always go for a Frigate, like the Sabre, which is pretty competent for everything.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 24, 2014, 04:14:29 PM »

The thing is, being starved of profit factor /hurts/. It stings you on every level and makes everyone else worse at what they do. Now, granted, my character dosen't really need money- Deathbeams from the eyeballs usually work pretty well. We could always go for a Frigate, like the Sabre, which is pretty competent for everything.

... yes, but we have something that the Imperial Navy is hardly likely to ever give up in normal circumstances, and are in a wonderful negotiating position. Plus having a small army on board.

Also, being small and sneaky just doesn't seem to fit the theme of the setting. :lmao

Offline Wrex

• Large and In Charge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 24, 2014, 04:41:18 PM »
Large army, actually. These things are quite large.

And it's not sneaky, it's fast!

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 24, 2014, 04:44:18 PM »
Large army, actually. These things are quite large.

And it's not sneaky, it's fast!

Well, DM said that it'd be 10% of the crew, and in the case of the battlecruiser that's a force of 10,000. Whilst more than enough for normal means, it's still absolutely tiny for a human force on the scale of the Imperium.

We can try and make the big thing faster. Hunting down Archeotech is the way to go! :D

Offline Wrex

• Large and In Charge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 24, 2014, 04:46:25 PM »
So, do we roll for the Pride option, or do we get to pick?

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 24, 2014, 04:48:00 PM »
So, do we roll for the Pride option, or do we get to pick?

We get to pick.

I have the Reliquary, so we don't need another of those. :lmao

Offline Harald

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 24, 2014, 05:06:43 PM »

I always found the Frigate a bit too small, you need to specialize in fact on them. Concerning the builds I've made, I've made the choice of doing an all-rounder : should you want  the dynasty to specialize at first in something particular, like heavy trading, or a military mindset, I can change things.
For instance, if we consider we don't want to bring armies at the moment, I can squeeze off the barraks and get some murder servitors instead or later.
I'd vote either for the light cruiser or the battlecruiser.

Being sneaky can fit the setting. Being small, however, is utternonsense !

Here come the Senechal. name & background pending.

WS : 25 BS : 30. S : 30 T : 30 Ag 40. Int : 42 Per : 40 Wp : 40 Fel : 50.
Homeworld : Noble-born.
Birthright Vaunted.
Lure of the Void : Duty Bound, Duty to your Dynasty.
Trials &Travails: Press-Ganged.(to get Scrutiny)
Motivation : Devotion (Creed) (200 xp).
Skills : Barter, Commerce, Common Lore (Imperial Creed, Underworld), Charm, Deceive,  Forbidden Lore (Archeotech), Inquiry, Litteracy, Scrutiny, Speak Language (High & Low Gothic, Trader's Cant).
Dodge (100 xp)
Disguise (100 xp)
Awareness (100 xp)
Talents Decadence, Basic & Pistol Universal Training.
Starting Gear : inferno pistol, best craftsmanship hellgun, xeno-mesh armour, autoquill, dataslate, micro-bead, multikey,  robes, synthskin,  chrono, cameleonine cloak.

I'm bringing in +2 Profit Factor, that might be useful  :D

« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 05:10:06 PM by Harald »
-RAMMING SPEED !

Offline LordBlades

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 24, 2014, 05:15:13 PM »

From the experience of somebody whose group chose the path you're suggesting, I'd say they're ups and downs to it. If you get a small ship you get a lot of PF, which helps you acquire more/better stuff, but getting a bigger ship (by acquisition at least) is hard and you pretty much have to rely on capture. Also, since the group seems to want to play space conquistadors, I don't think a frigate is big enough to carry the kind of planetside presence needed for that.

Exactly. As for the Nemesis, I'll keep the one offered, unless it bothers you on some point. that can be personnalised after all.

Whichever you prefer is fine with me. I was just curious if you had something else specific in mind.

Regarding the barracks, you get 10.000 armsmen equipped with basic infantry gear (see spoiler) and nothing else. You'll need to provide whatever else you need for them (heavy weapons, armored support, a way to get them dirtside etc.)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 05:19:03 PM by LordBlades »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 24, 2014, 05:19:36 PM »
I think I'm a Space Conquistador Archaeologist, combining everything I've got. :lmao

(click to show/hide)

So... who's the captain? @_@