Author Topic: open games?  (Read 10997 times)

Offline dna1

• PbP Game Master
  • Sage of Herbology
    • View Profile
Re: open games?
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2014, 05:44:03 PM »
i like 3.x obviously, i'm just getting into PF with a new in person group.

i really liked the High Arcana game that went defunct. Sandbox is really good. besides that? nothing too RP based, i tend towards the crunch more.

I still plan to continue that some time.... Although not with multiple teams. SirP was insane to let it get that big after he took over lol.
Roses are Red. Gaming is fun. You're over encumbered and cannot Run.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2014, 10:36:18 PM »
That's good. I'll keep my eyes open for it.

yeah, it was a little big ;) and most of the teams were defunct anyway.
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2014, 01:15:31 AM »
Mine never got off the ground :(

Shame to I was hoping to use it to playtest some stuff.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2014, 11:49:02 AM »
Ah.  Dat leaves out a lot of pbp as fights are such a pain in the butt.
Indeed they are >.<

I kind of like Ols take on things with his Phantasy Star game. Everyone states their actions and he meshes them together the best he can. No real waiting for people to take their turns in order, through obviously we use the OOC thread for some round by round planning and some of us may hold back to check if someone can do better.

You could DM an 8th level Spellcaster sandbox and playtest your stuff by seeing how well we can flash fry it.  :D

Offline ksbsnowowl

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Warrior Skald, teller of tales.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2014, 05:37:11 PM »
...I also need something to do gaming wise
i like 3.x obviously, i'm just getting into PF with a new in person group.

i really liked the High Arcana game that went defunct. Sandbox is really good. besides that? nothing too RP based, i tend towards the crunch more.
I don't know anything about the High Arcana game, but I've got an opening in my Viking-themed game that I was intending to fill before too long.  I could insert a new character (met randomly on the road) within a week or two.  It is a war campaign.  The prologue is just finishing up, and I'll be moving to Chapter 1 fairly soon.

One of the players I picked evaporated the day before I started the main game thread, and I had been intending to extend an invite to one of the applicants I didn't choose for the game (the prologue's plot made it impossible to introduce a new character for a while), but just recently read that he's going to be dropping D&D as a hobby fairly soon.

If such a thing would be interesting to you, check out the original recruitment thread for some basic info on the game and the world, and go ahead and read the game so far.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2014, 09:05:08 PM »
If such a thing would be interesting to you, check out the original recruitment thread for some basic info on the game and the world, and go ahead and read the game so far.
How about a Madara 12 // Druid & PrC 12?

(click to show/hide)

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2014, 09:07:59 PM »
How about a Madara 12 // Druid & PrC 12?

(click to show/hide)

I am saddened that, of all the things in that world, you picked Madara. : (

... also, Jutsu! Not jitsu! Spell the word right! D:

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2014, 09:25:44 PM »
We're both high ranking members of Team Evil, have plans for world domination, kinda of an ass, gish based, and we're both walking badasses. Fate it seems has delivered a DM seeking hippy themed characters. It just so happens that Madara once ate a hippy and now he has magical tree powers.

Well that and Naruto vs Pain is my favorite out of the entire series. Hence "Madara" being one path among eight others.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2014, 09:27:35 PM »
We're both high ranking members of Team Evil, have plans for world domination, kinda of an ass, gish based, and we're both walking badasses. Fate it seems has delivered a DM seeking hippy themed characters. It just so happens that Madara once ate a hippy and now he has magical tree powers.

Well that and Naruto vs Pain is my favorite out of the entire series. Hence "Madara" being one path among eight others.

I'm fairly certain that he wasn't eaten. :lmao

Offline ksbsnowowl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2014, 09:43:26 PM »
Fate it seems has delivered a DM seeking hippy themed characters.
Umm... how exactly does Viking = Hippie?  :huh

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2014, 10:02:34 PM »
I'm reminded of this:

Things Mr. Welch can no longer do in an RPG:
876. If I want to play a rampaging nordic warrior and get handed a treehugging elf hippie instead, I can't play her like a rampaging nordic warrior.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2014, 10:04:08 PM »
I'm reminded of this:

876. If I want to play a rampaging nordic warrior and get handed a treehugging elf hippie instead, I can't play her like a rampaging nordic warrior.

I now want to do that. Why did you have to quote that list? XD

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2014, 10:05:48 PM »
I'm reminded of this:

I now want to do that. Why did you have to quote that list? XD

Because I thought it would be funny?  lol

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2014, 11:01:03 PM »
I tend to refer to tree huggers as hippies. I know people see the word "hippy" and immediately think 1960s peacing loving druggies. But drugs do not make the hippy, your 1980s and on Hippy is interesting in living self sufficiency and renewable 'green' resources.

So with that in mind let's take a gander. Unapproachable East is a key book and Shining South is great, but everything Eastern related within them is banned (*cough* they are eastern themed books *cough*). They made the required list because of Rashemen.
The people of Rashemen are sturdy, hardworking, and deeply respectful of the land. A traveler here will never see a logger casually cutting down trees for greater profit, nor a stream dammed to power a mill. The Rashemi understand that they must respect the land as they would a neighbor, for the spirits punish those who take what they don't need.
You blanket banned a ton of content, apparently dragon themed Spellcasters are out and Wizards have an impossible time finding Scrolls so your typical Arcane will have some problems. Your initial characters and example characters all make usage of Barbarian & Druid (both 'primal' classes) even through Rashemen default to Cleric/Wizard.

You've got the whole respect the forest animals man, thing going as a prime directive. Plus I'm pretty sure the women don't shave their legs :p

Offline ksbsnowowl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2014, 11:45:00 PM »
Gotcha.  I see the connection you made there.

On the "Eastern" thing.  Unapproachable East, with the exception of Shou expatriots, is quite "Eastern Europe" in flavor (especially Rashemen), but not Oriental.  That's what's banned.  Wow, no ninjas in a Viking world. *Gasp!*

Dragon-themed casters are out because dragons didn't run rampant (well, as rampant as is typical of D&D) in Norse mythology.  There are four dragons in the Norse myths, and two of them are of deity-level power (prophesied to kill deities at Ragnarok, or they are a cosmic force, whose rising heralds the coming of Ragnarok).  Taking a bit of advice from GURPS Vikings, any dragons that show up should be rare and with important purpose/backstory.  They haven't been running around the bar scene getting their jollies with human women, just so a PC can unlock his latent inherited dragon powers many generations down the line.

Scrolls:  Just because there aren't magic item shops or intermediate sellers doesn't mean a wizard can't get scrolls.  Sure, they might not be as plentifully available as some settings, but there are ways of getting your hands on such things.  The Althing each summer is a large festival, serving as both a bazaar and a multi-day supreme court of law.  People come from all over to trade their wares; mages make it a priority to come to such festivals, and swap spells with other mages.  Character actions could also put you in good graces with another mage, leading to another avenue of gaining access to spells, et cetera, et cetera.  Just because scroll access isn't on the level of instant gratification doesn't mean I'm going to screw over the players.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2014, 03:37:29 AM »
Ah.  Dat leaves out a lot of pbp as fights are such a pain in the butt.
Indeed they are >.<

I kind of like Ols take on things with his Phantasy Star game. Everyone states their actions and he meshes them together the best he can. No real waiting for people to take their turns in order, through obviously we use the OOC thread for some round by round planning and some of us may hold back to check if someone can do better.

You could DM an 8th level Spellcaster sandbox and playtest your stuff by seeing how well we can flash fry it.  :D

Your opponents would appear to be simple ordinary housecats...

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2014, 11:58:23 AM »
But I would know better, and distract them with balls of string!

Or plastic bags, those drive my cat nuts, like a Confusion Spell or something. She just rolls around on one attacking stuff.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2014, 12:01:20 PM »
But I would know better, and distract them with balls of string!

Or plastic bags, those drive my cat nuts, like a Confusion Spell or something. She just rolls around on one attacking stuff.

Mine apparently really likes the wrappers you get small chocolates in.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2014, 12:42:45 PM »
I imagine Prestidigitation would be rather useful for playing with cats.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2014, 04:51:43 PM »
Lasers that zip along the ground making crinkly noises and smell like chocolate sounds like the ultimate cat toy.

I should patten this.