Author Topic: Rebuke ooze/spider and divine metamagic 3.5  (Read 2016 times)

Offline Ryshin

• Spellguard of Silverymoon
    • View Profile
Rebuke ooze/spider and divine metamagic 3.5
« on: June 11, 2018, 03:41:02 AM »
Hello, does the ability to rebuke ooze/spider from the ooze/spider domain works as a rebuke undead for the purpose of divine talents as divine metamagic?

"You can rebuke or command oozes as an evil cleric rebukes or commands undead. This ability is usable a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier." and the same is for the rebuke spider.

In the description it's  specified that works as rebuke undead but unlike rebuke dragons variant ability it's doesn't mention if it works for the purpose of divine talents. I'm really i the dark here and 50/50 working/not working, what's your take on this? Anyone with a detailed explanation on why it's should o shouldn't work?
Thanks
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 05:43:23 AM by Ryshin »
I didn't choose the min/max life, the min/max life chose me.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
Re: Rebuke ooze/spider and divine metamagic 3.5
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 11:03:40 PM »
Complete Divine's section on Divine feats (page 77) specifically says:

First, they all have as a prerequisite the ability to turn or rebuke undead. Thus, they are open to clerics, paladins of 3rd level or higher, and a member of any prestige class or any creature that has that ability.
Second, the force that powers a divine feat is the ability to channel positive or negative energy to turn or rebuke undead.

In other words, only the ability to turn or rebuke undead can be used to power divine feats.  Nothing else, unless there's a ruling somewhere else specifically modifying that or the feat itself says otherwise.  See https://dndtools.net/feats/categories/divine/?page_size=100 for a list of divine feats.

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • BG's resident furry min/maxer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 11:29:23 PM »
I believe Complete Divine specifically mentions the turn/rebuke elemental abilities of the elemental domains as not working with Divine feats (unless specified otherwise, as there are some feats powered this way).  Ooze and Spider rebuking would follow these same rules.
"When life gives you lemons, fire them back at high velocity."

Offline Ryshin

• Spellguard of Silverymoon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 07:20:03 AM »
Thanks, I knew I could count on you. Plus I checked and both both the ooze and the spider domain have been published after complete divine so since it's not specified in the description it's another clue that they aren't working.
I didn't choose the min/max life, the min/max life chose me.